Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index Fund
|Vanguard Fund Info|
|FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index|
The Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index Fund is Vanguard's sole international small cap index fund.
Three share classes are available:
- Admiral (VFSVX), an initial minimum investment of $3,000.
- ETF (VSS) with no minimums, though transaction costs apply in buying and selling through a brokerage
- Institutional (VFSNX) with an initial minum of $5,000,000
Total costs of the ETF and open-end classes may be compared via this Vanguard calculator.
The fund contains both developed and emerging market stocks, which is the first of its kind. In addition, the broad index should make the fund relatively tax efficient and thus suitable for taxable accounts.
As of April 2019, the expense ratio of the fund provides low-cost access to non-US small cap stocks.
Total market replication
Investors wishing to replicate the Total International Market, should hold this fund in a 1:9 ratio with Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund.
- On November 19, 2018, Vanguard announced the creation of admiral shares for the fund at a minimum investment of $3,000, and the closing of investor shares. The transition occurred in the first quarter of 2019.
- On February 24, 2017, Vanguard lowered the expense ratio to 0.27% on the fund shares.
- On July 25, 2014, Vanguard eliminated the purchase and redemption fee of the investor share class, which previously were 0.25% for all purchases and redemptions, reduced from 0.50% in October 2013.
- On October 16, 2013, Vanguard lowered the purchase and redemption fees to 0.25% on fund shares.
- On February 28, 2013, Vanguard lowered the expense ratio to 0.45% on the fund shares. See the statutory prospectus for more information.
- On February 28, 2012, Vanguard lowered the expense ratio to 0.48% on the fund shares.
- On December 30, 2009, Vanguard raised the expense ratio from 0.60% to 0.78% on the fund shares.
- April 2, 2009 - fund inception date.
- On December 11, 2008, Vanguard announced the filing of a registration statement for the fund with the SEC.
- Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap Index Fund tax distributions
- More discussion about Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap (VFSVX) vs. Vanguard International Explorer Fund (VINEX) on the Financial Page blog.