Talk:Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund tax distributions
Suggested Chronology of Fund Data Updates
Given the demands placed on editors for keeping wiki data current and updated, please use the following timelines for updating data. In most instances we can provide annual data once it becomes available, with links to the sites which can provide subsequent monthly data updates. This should help reduce the burden of editorial upkeep. Here is a suggested chronology for data updates.
- Fund returns and standard deviations should be reported on an annual basis, with links to the Vanguard web pages for current year-to-date updates.
- Fund accounting and tax distribution data should be reported on the fiscal year basis. A link to the Vanguard webpage can provide for the current status of these attributes.
- Fund expense ratio updates should be reported on the semiannual and annual report dates. We have usually made an internal note of the semiannual report er and then update all references of the er upon the annual report. The issuance of the annual report also allows one to estimate the foreign tax credit for international funds and estimate the return of capital distribution for REIT funds.
- Qualified dividend percentages are released after the end of the calendar year. Updates must wait for the data release. Late in the year, Vanguard provides estimates for qualified dividends, we can provide these links as they become available. These can be placed in the fund distribution pages.
- Fund brokerage commission expense is made available when the fund prospectus and statement of additional information (which is where brokerage commission expense is reported) is updated and released. Data for 2008 will become available by mid year 2009.
These directives should limit most data updates to the completion of the calendar year for updating returns, tracking error, and standard deviation; to the issuance of the annual reports for tax data; the issuance of semiannual and annual reports for expense ratios; and. when issued, the timely posting of final qualified dividend and brokerage commission data. Blbarnitz 09:19, 3 January 2009 (UTC)
I'm unable to locate the October 31, 2010 FTSE annual report in EDGAR. I searched the link below, but there was no entry for a Certified Shareholder Report (N-CSRS) in this time frame and forward. Further searches for VFWIX ended up at the same link below. The 2010-07-02 filing (April 2010) does not list VFWIX.
Original link: Dividend data is derived from the EDGAR annual reports database
Modified link to start at current date (first page of results), use this instead: Dividend data is derived from the EDGAR annual reports database
--LadyGeek 21:13, 3 January 2011 (EST)
From the annual report on Vanguard's site (VFWIX), the qualified dividends are listed on page 51 (Adobe page number):
The fund distributed $114,514,000 of qualified dividend income to shareholders during the fiscal year. The fund designates to shareholders foreign source income of $226,899,000 and foreign taxes paid of $16,623,000.
I am unable to locate any values that result in a Qualifying Dividend ratio of 74.00% (result in 2010 table). 152,685,000 = $114,514,000 / 0.74. The table footnote does not give a specific URL that I can trace this analysis to. --LadyGeek 22:19, 3 January 2011 (EST)
- Here is the source of current 2010 QDI Estimated year-end distributions. Will update to more accurate figures, if and when they become available. --Blbarnitz 23:28, 3 January 2011 (EST)
The annual report appeared in the EDGAR database today. I clarified the link to show the SEC's EDGAR search engine and the results (filter for "N-CSR"). A new investor would not know how to get annual reports from EDGAR on his/her own.
I don't know why I couldn't find those estimates before. Thanks for the link. --LadyGeek 17:36, 4 January 2011 (EST)
- "The annual report appeared in the EDGAR database today. I clarified the link to show the SEC's EDGAR search engine and the results (filter for "N-CSR"). A new investor would not know how to get annual reports from EDGAR on his/her own."
Do not use this filter, since it only goes back to 2007. One must have the complete file link in order to access earlier historical reports.--Blbarnitz 23:55, 4 January 2011 (EST)
I was not familiar with these filings. The corrected search methodology has been added as a footnote to Vanguard funds: distribution methodology, which is a useful reference. --LadyGeek 17:13, 5 January 2011 (EST)
- It would be helpful to add the effective year to the Table 1 title. Is this OK? For example: Table 1 Summary of Tax Implications (as of 2010). I didn't want to proceed without concurrence that this is appropriate. --LadyGeek 17:17, 24 January 2011 (EST)
- The year is not needed, as this is a summary of the long term status of these factors--Blbarnitz 23:30, 24 January 2011 (EST)
Rick Ferri's Core Four portfolio has switched from FTSE All-World ex-US to VG Total International Index; see Lazy Portfolios. I think the mention here should be removed, but perhaps it has uses in other portfolios? --LadyGeek 11:41, 25 March 2012 (CDT)