Portal:Main Page Development/News and blogs
This article contains the RSS feeds for news and blogs.
Failed to load RSS feed from http://rss.vanguard.com/rss/recentstories.xml: There was a problem during the HTTP request: 404 Not Found
Laura Dogu is a contributor to The Bogleheads® View blog on Forbes.com. Portal:Main Page Development/News and blogs was a biweekly column appearing in Forbes magazine online from November 27, 2009 through December 17, 2010. Starting on December 31, 2010, Forbes replaced the article series with a blog.
Historical Bogleheads View articles can be viewed online at Forbes.com: The Bogleheads' View
|2010-12-31||How Did Your Portfolio Perform In 2010?||Portfolio Returns||Laura Dogu||Portfolio Returns|
|2010-12-17||Financial Tips For Those Who Hate Investing||Investment Planning||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2010-12-03||Investing Books To Give This Holiday||Investment Books||Mel Lindauer||Investment Books|
|2010-11-19||A Thanksgiving with John Bogle||Bogleheads' History||Mel Lindauer||Bogleheads|
|2010-11-5||Is Active Investing Performance Chasing?||Active vs Indexing||Mel Lindauer||Active vs Indexing|
|2010-10-22||With Future Returns Likely Lower, Taxes And Investment Expenses Loom Large||Bogleheads Convention||Laura Dogu||Bogleheads|
|2010-10-8||Five Ways To Get Off The Car Loan Merry-Go-Round||Turn Car Expenses into Retirement Savings||Laura Dogu||Saving|
|2010-9-24||Three Money Lessons From Teenagers||Teaching Children About Money||Laura Dogu||Saving|
|2010-9-10||Six Ways To Teach Your Children About Money||Teaching Children About Money||Laura Dogu||Saving|
|2010-8-27||Retirement Planning Simpler If You Ignore The News||Saving and Investing for Retirement||Laura Dogu||Investing for Retirement|
|2010-8-13||The Truth About Equity-Indexed Annuities||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Equity Indexed-Annuities|
|2010-7-30||For Some Retirees, This Anuity Makes Sense||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Single Premium Immediate Annuties (SPIAs)|
|2010-7-16||Fixed Deferred Annuities: CDs With Gotchas||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Fixed Deferred Annuities|
|2010-7-2||Variable Annuities Don't Belong in Retirement Plans||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Qualified Variable Annuities|
|2010-6-18||How To Cut The Cost Of A Variable Annuity||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||1035 Annuity Transfer|
|2010-6-4||Annuities: Good, Bad or Ugly?||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||High-Cost Deferred Variable Annuities|
|2010-5-22||How To Revamp Your Portfolio||Asset Allocation||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2010-5-7||The Key To Tax-Efficient Investing: Asset Location||Asset Location||Laura Dogu||Taxable Accounts|
|2010-4-23||What You Need To Know About IRAs||Retirement Savings||Laura Dogu||IRAs|
|2010-4-9||To ETF Or Not To ETF||ETFs vs. Index Funds||Rick Ferri||ETFs|
|2010-3-26||Actively Managed Mutual Funds Are Obsolete||Active vs. Passive||Rick Ferri||Active vs. Passive|
|2010-3-12||How to Make the Most of Your 401(k)||Retirement Savings||Laura Dogu||Retirement Savings|
|2010-2-26||Let Us Buy More I Bonds||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2010-2-12||I Bonds: The College Tax Break||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2010-1-29||The ABCs of Risk-Free I Bonds||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2010-1-15||Risk-Free Yield? Consider I Bonds||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2009-12-30||Hitting Your Target Asset Allocation||Asset Allocation||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2009-12-23||It's All About Your Asset Allocation||Asset Allocation||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2009-12-18||The Key To Investing Success: Start With A Plan||Investment Policy Statement||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2009-12-11||Who Cares What The Dow Did Last Week?||Tune Out Market Noise||Rick Ferri||Buy and Hold|
|2009-11-30||Last Minute Roth Opportunity||No RMD in 2009 Presents a Roth Conversion Opportunity||Mel Lindauer||Retirement|
|2009-11-27||Meet the Bogleheads||Introduction to the Bogleheads||Mel Lindauer||Bogleheads|
(04 April 2021)
Talking taxes with Phil Demuth, Ph.D. Phil is a Managing Director at Conservative Wealth Management, LLC, and the author of nine personal financ...
(25 February 2021)
(29 January 2021)
Sarah Newcomb, Ph....
(01 January 2021)
Frazer Rice is the author of “Wealth, Actually: Intelligent Decision-Making for the 1%”, host of the “Wealth, Actually” podcast, creator of the "Wealth,...
(29 November 2020)
Roger Lowenstein reported for The Wall Street Journal for more than a decade and is also an award-winning book author. His work has appeared in Bloo...
(16 April 2021)
- Recently I’ve received emails from a few different readers on the topic of tracking basis in a Roth IRA. That is, with a Roth IRA, you can remove contributions tax-free and penalty-free at an...
(12 April 2021)
- A reader wrote in recently with the following story/question: For the last several years of my wife’s work before retiring, she had worked for a government agency and no SS had been collected...
(02 April 2021)
- As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I recently gave a presentation for the Detroit and Minnesota Bogleheads groups about the “Cookie-Cutter Retirement Plan” concept. Here is the link to the Zoom...
(29 March 2021)
- Timing the stock market is hard. It’s so hard, in fact, that there’s a reasonably broad consensus that it’s unwise to even try. And that’s in spite of the fact that, when at...
(19 March 2021)
- Next Saturday (3/27), I’ll be giving a presentation for the Detroit and Minnesota Bogleheads groups. But, since it’s via Zoom, anybody is welcome. The topic will be the “Cookie-Cu...
|Alma mater||Texas A&M University|
|Occupation||Author, financial adviser|
|Organization||Soundmark Wealth Management, LLC|
|The Coffeehouse Investor; The Coffeehouse Investor's Ground Rules|
Portal:Main Page Development/News and blogs is a bogleheads.org reading list author
In 1998 Bill Schultheis created the Coffeehouse Investor in an effort to bring a simpler and smarter investment philosophy to individuals and corporations across the nation and around the world. He has appeared regularly on Seattle’s PBS Serious Money program, is a guest contributor on NPR’s Morning Edition and wrote a syndicated investment column for eight years.
For 13 years he worked with retail and institutional accounts for Smith Barney in Seattle, WA. For the past eight years he has been a principal and fee-only financial adviser, currently with Soundmark Wealth Management in Kirkland, WA.
Schultheis grew up on a wheat farm in eastern Washington, attended Washington State University, and graduated from Texas A&M University in 1982.
When he’s not working, he can be found on the golf course, camping on Mt. Rainier, cooking in the kitchen, writing his next book, and enjoying the company of his wonderful family and friends.
— Bill Schultheis
- Schultheis, Bill (2009). The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life. p. 224. ISBN 978-1591845843.
- Schultheis, Bill (2020). The Coffeehouse Investor's Ground Rules: Save, Invest, and Plan for a Life of Wealth and Happiness. p. 160. ISBN 978-1119717089.
No RSS feeds are available, but articles can be found at:
- ETF.com every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Advisor Perspectives, about once a month.
- Alpha Architect, less frequently.
The Finance Buff
(08 April 2021)
If you get health insurance from ACA, the government sets the percentages of income you are expected to contribute toward a benchmark policy.
The post Covid Retirement Account Withdrawal in TurboTax and H&R Block (29 March 2021)
If you withdrew from your retirement account due to COVID in 2020, follow this to get the special tax treatment in TurboTax and H&R Block tax software.
How To Enter Mega Backdoor Roth In H&R Block Tax Software (20 March 2021)
Follow these easy step-by-step explanation with screenshots when you enter the 1099-R form for your mega backdoor Roth into H&R Block tax software.
The post How To Enter Mega Backdoor Roth in FreeTaxUSA: A Walkthrough (15 March 2021)
Follow these easy step-by-step explanation with screenshots when you enter the 1099-R form for your mega backdoor Roth into FreeTaxUSA.
The post When TurboTax and H&R Block Give Self-Employed Wrong ACA Subsidy (09 March 2021)
If you're self-employed on ACA health insurance, TurboTax and H&R Block software may give wrong numbers for the subsidy. Use this calculator instead.
(06 April 2021)
- Vanguard head of stable value, Patricia Selim, looks at the debate between stable value funds and money market funds, and weighs in on what she thinks is better for plan sponsors and their particip...
(01 April 2021)
- Why investors should maintain their bond positions even in an environment of rising interest rates.
(08 March 2021)
- It’s hard to identify an asset bubble. We assess whether future income scenarios can justify an asset’s price.
(01 February 2021)
- More than retirement saving, we believe a financial well-being program should produce positive outcomes that are financial and emotional.
(28 January 2021)
- Recent market events underscore the importance of a long-term approach to investing.
(16 April 2021)
(15 April 2021)
(14 April 2021)
(13 April 2021)
(12 April 2021)