Outline for starting out life stage
This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well.
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide for young savers and investors:
The starting out life stage mission is to provide education and discussion on investing and personal finance topics geared towards novice investors of any age and young investors just getting started with their finances and careers.
Topics will include
- Basics of investing & basics of personal finance
- Bogleheads® investment philosophy & Jack Bogle
- Asset allocation - assessing your risk tolerance, risk & return
- Costs matter - the impact of costs over time
- Creating & managing your portfolio, selecting funds, staying the course
- Budgeting & managing your money, insurance
- Long-term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking
- Saving & building wealth - compounding over time
- Basic taxes - for creating & managing your portfolio
- Roth IRA conversions, Backdoor Roths, 401k & IRA rollovers and transfers
- Bear markets & recessions
Common new-investor issues we will cover
- Why do I have to save for retirement when I'm only in my 20's?
- What - me worry? I'm 100% stocks and can handle any downturn!
- What do I just do with this 401k list of funds so I can get on with my life?
- I'm following my passion! but the salary is low & there's no 401k or health insurance.
- We're only 26 - do we really need a will?
- My brother-in-law is an insurance guy who has a good financial plan for us!
- If I knew then what I know now - advice from senior Bogleheads.
- Investing is a lifestyle - it's more than putting money in accounts, it's how you live your life.
- Bogleheads® forum topic:
- Mike Piper, Starting with Investing presentation