John P. Freeman
John P. Freeman
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania Law School|
|Years active||1978 - 2008|
|Organization||University of South Carolina|
|Website||Freeman at South Carolina|
John P. Freeman is a John T. Campbell Professor Emeritus of Business and Professional Ethics Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Law at the University of South Carolina School of Law.
Professor Freeman started law practice in 1970 with the Jones Day law firm, and subsequently worked for the Securities and Exchange Commission where he served as special counsel analyzing mutual fund issues. He has taught corporate and securities law, and legal ethics for over 30 years, and has testified as an expert witness or served as trial counsel in various legal malpractice lawsuits, ethics proceedings, and investment-related cases. Professor Freeman has written and lectured extensively on ethics, malpractice and business-related matters, and writes a regular column on professionalism topics for the South Carolina Lawyer. Most recently, Professor Freeman has been addressing as a writer and commentator certain problems with the way mutual fund sponsors conduct their business. Professor Freeman retired from the faculty in 2008.
Freeman is the author/co-author of the following papers dealing with mutual fund fees.
|2008||Mutual Fund Advisory Fees: New Evidence and a Fair Fiduciary Duty Test|
|2007||The Mutual Fund Distribution Expense Mess|
|2006||Mutual Fund Advisory Fees: The Cost of Conflicts of Interest|
|1978||The Use of Mutual Fund Assets to Pay Marketing Costs|
- "Profile". University of South Carolina. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- Freeman, John P. and Brown, Stewart L (2008). Mutual Fund Advisory Fees: New Evidence and a Fair Fiduciary Duty Test. Oklahoma Law Review, Vol. 61,: SSRN.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link) CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: location (link)
- Freeman, John P. (2007). The Mutual Fund Distribution Expense Mess. Journal of Corporation Law, Vol. 32, No. 4, Summer 2007: SSRN.CS1 maint: location (link)
- Freeman, John P. (2006). Mutual Fund Advisory Fees: The Cost of Conflicts of Interest. SSRN.
- Freeman, J.P., (1977) The Use of Mutual Fund Assets to Pay Marketing Costs. Loy. U. Chi. LJ, 9, p.533.