John J. Brennan
John Joseph Brennan
|Alma mater||Dartmouth; Harvard|
|Years active||1976 to present|
|Employer||Former Chairman and CEO of The Vanguard Group|
|Straight Talk on Investing: What You Need to Know|
|Board member of||American Express, General Electric, FINRA, LPL Financial, Notre Dame University, Vanguard Charitable Endowment|
John J. Brennan is primarily known as the Chairman and Chief Operating Officer of the The Vanguard Group from 1996 to 2009. Brennan was born in 1954 in Boston Massachusetts. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College, and earned an MBA from Harvard.
Brennan began his career in 1976 when he joined the New York Bank for Savings. After earning an MBA, he joined S.C. Johnson & Son in 1980. He joined Vanguard in 1982.. Brennan was named President of Vanguard on May 17, 1989, with duties that prepared him for succeeding company founder John Bogle as company CEO.
Brennan was named CEO of Vanguard in 1996, and was made Chairman of the company in 1998. Brennan served both roles until his retirement from the positions in 2009.
Significant initiatives undertaken during Brennan's management tenure include:
- International expansion. Vanguard opened operations in Australia, Europe, Japan, Latin America, Canada and Singapore.
- The creation of target retirement funds.
- The creation of exchange-traded funds and lower cost admiral shares for mutual funds.
- The launch of Vanguard's donor-advised charity program, known as the Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program.
As of 2017 Brennan is Chairman of Vanguard Charitable board of trustees 
Post Vanguard positions
After retiring as Vanguard CEO and Chairman, Brennan has served as board member and trustee for several institutions and corporations.
Brennan became a member of the Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF) Board of Trustees in 2009. From February 2009 to October 2012, Mr. Brennan served as FAF chairman, responsible for the oversight of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
Brennan has also served on the board of the Hanover Insurance Group.
As of 2017, Brennan is serving on the board of directors at General Electric,  LPL Financial Holdings Inc., and American Express. Brennan is also a director of the Guardian Life Insurance Company of America.
Brennan also serves as Chair on the University of Notre Dame Board of Trustees.
On September 20, 2002 Wiley published Straight Talk on Investing: What You Need to Know by John J. Brennan with Marta McCave.[Note 1]
- "John J. Brennan, MBA 1980". Harvard Business School. Retrieved September 3, 2017.
- Daniel F. Cuff (May 18, 1989). "BUSINESS PEOPLE; President Is Named For Vanguard Group". New York Times. Retrieved September 3, 2017.
- History of Vanguard
- Our History - Charitable Endowment Program
- Vanguard Charitable board of trustees
- GE profile
- "John J. Brennan Elected Chairman of FINRA Board of Governors". FINRA press release. July 15, 2016.. Retrieved September 5, 2017
- FINRA former governors
- "Vanguard's John Brennan joins GE board". Hartford Business.com. July 20, 2012. Retrieved September5, 2017
- "American Express Company Elects John Brennan to Board of Directors". American Express press release. January 24, 2017. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- Dennis Brown (October 15, 2015). "John Brennan elected chair of Notre Dame's Board of Trustees". Notre Dame News. Retrieved September 5, 2017.