Emerging markets index returns
Emerging markets index returns chronicles the annual returns of emerging market stocks as measured by stock indexes.
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and ETFs, creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with Total Market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently. 
Emerging market index returns
The markets included in each provider's Emerging Market benchmark are provided in the table below.
|United Arab Emirates||♦||♦|
Emerging market index funds
Currently, Emerging Market Index funds are available tracking FTSE, MSCI, and S&P indices. For a listing of available funds, refer to Emerging Mks Funds. Russell has filed with the SEC for introducing an ETF based on the Russell Emerging Market Index. Emerging Market style index funds are available in the small cap style class. Refer to Emerging Mkts Small for a listing of available options.
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research, 2009, pp.12-13.
- DJ EM Total Stock Market Indexes factsheet
DJ Global Market Indexes
- Vanguard benchmarks
- Morningstar Global Equity Index Returns 2009-2003
Morningstar Global Equity Indexes
- Vanguard Benchmarks 2010-2000
Lazard Periodic Table
- 1998-2009 Net dividends
- 1989-1998 Gross dividends
MSCI returns calculator: MSCI size and style index returns
- Russell Index historical performance cycles 2009-2004
Gosselin :Market Performance as of 12/31/2010
- S&P/IFCI Emerging Indices
S&P Emerging Market BMI
- Dow Jones Emerging Markets Total Stock Market IndexesSM Fact sheet Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- FTSE Emerging Markets Indices, Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Morningstar Global Equity Rulebook, Retrieved 27, November 2012.
- MSCI EM Membership, Retrieved 27, November 2012.
- Russell Global Methodology, Retrieved 27, November 2012.
- S&P All Specialization, click methodology for S&P/IFCI index. Retrieved 27, November 2012.
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).
- Evaluating global benchmarks Vanguard Research, (September 15, 2010)
- (view Google Spreadsheet in browser or download as xls, ods, or pdf)