News and blogs
News and blogs contains the RSS feeds for site participant's blogs and podcasts. Additional podcasts can be found here.
(25 February 2021)
(29 January 2021)
Sarah Newcomb, Ph....
(01 January 2021)
Frazer Rice is the author of “Wealth, Actually: Intelligent Decision-Making for the 1%”, host of the “Wealth, Actually” podcast, creator of the "Wealth,...
(29 November 2020)
Roger Lowenstein reported for The Wall Street Journal for more than a decade and is also an award-winning book author. His work has appeared in Bloo...
(30 October 2020)
Dr. Cliff Asness is a Founder, Managing Principal, and Chief Investment Officer at AQR Capital Management, a quantitative...
The affiliated Bogleheads blog, maintained by forum member Barry Barnitz.
(25 February 2021)
- Jamie Catherwood is a financial historian and the publisher of the website Investor Amnesia. He received a history degree from King’s College London in 2017 before joining O’Shaughnessy Asset Manag...
(20 February 2021)
- The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy has published the fourth in its Bogleheads® Speaker Series videos. The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the fourth i...
(18 February 2021)
- The following account of the 2021 Texas Power outage is a guest post from forum member, stimulacra. See forum post. Houston resident here. We finally have steady power after 52 hours in the dark (e...
(29 January 2021)
- Sarah Newcomb, Ph.D., is a behavioral economist for Morningstar. In this role, she works to integrate the findings of her research into Morningstar’s financial management applications and too...
(25 January 2021)
- The 2021 Boglehead Contest was announced in a January 1, 2021 Bogleheads Forum topic post. The Boglehead Contest is an annual event that takes place on the Bogleheads forum where members take...
Jim Dahle (a.k.a. EmergDoc, for medical professionals)
(06 March 2021)
(05 March 2021)
(04 March 2021)
(03 March 2021)
(02 March 2021)
Laura Dogu is a contributor to The Bogleheads® View blog on Forbes.com. News and blogs was a biweekly column appearing in Forbes magazine online from November 27, 2009 through December 17, 2010. Starting on December 31, 2010, Forbes replaced the article series with a blog.
Historical Bogleheads View articles can be viewed online at Forbes.com: The Bogleheads' View
|2010-12-31||How Did Your Portfolio Perform In 2010?||Portfolio Returns||Laura Dogu||Portfolio Returns|
|2010-12-17||Financial Tips For Those Who Hate Investing||Investment Planning||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2010-12-03||Investing Books To Give This Holiday||Investment Books||Mel Lindauer||Investment Books|
|2010-11-19||A Thanksgiving with John Bogle||Bogleheads' History||Mel Lindauer||Bogleheads|
|2010-11-5||Is Active Investing Performance Chasing?||Active vs Indexing||Mel Lindauer||Active vs Indexing|
|2010-10-22||With Future Returns Likely Lower, Taxes And Investment Expenses Loom Large||Bogleheads Convention||Laura Dogu||Bogleheads|
|2010-10-8||Five Ways To Get Off The Car Loan Merry-Go-Round||Turn Car Expenses into Retirement Savings||Laura Dogu||Saving|
|2010-9-24||Three Money Lessons From Teenagers||Teaching Children About Money||Laura Dogu||Saving|
|2010-9-10||Six Ways To Teach Your Children About Money||Teaching Children About Money||Laura Dogu||Saving|
|2010-8-27||Retirement Planning Simpler If You Ignore The News||Saving and Investing for Retirement||Laura Dogu||Investing for Retirement|
|2010-8-13||The Truth About Equity-Indexed Annuities||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Equity Indexed-Annuities|
|2010-7-30||For Some Retirees, This Anuity Makes Sense||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Single Premium Immediate Annuties (SPIAs)|
|2010-7-16||Fixed Deferred Annuities: CDs With Gotchas||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Fixed Deferred Annuities|
|2010-7-2||Variable Annuities Don't Belong in Retirement Plans||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||Qualified Variable Annuities|
|2010-6-18||How To Cut The Cost Of A Variable Annuity||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||1035 Annuity Transfer|
|2010-6-4||Annuities: Good, Bad or Ugly?||Annuities||Mel Lindauer||High-Cost Deferred Variable Annuities|
|2010-5-22||How To Revamp Your Portfolio||Asset Allocation||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2010-5-7||The Key To Tax-Efficient Investing: Asset Location||Asset Location||Laura Dogu||Taxable Accounts|
|2010-4-23||What You Need To Know About IRAs||Retirement Savings||Laura Dogu||IRAs|
|2010-4-9||To ETF Or Not To ETF||ETFs vs. Index Funds||Rick Ferri||ETFs|
|2010-3-26||Actively Managed Mutual Funds Are Obsolete||Active vs. Passive||Rick Ferri||Active vs. Passive|
|2010-3-12||How to Make the Most of Your 401(k)||Retirement Savings||Laura Dogu||Retirement Savings|
|2010-2-26||Let Us Buy More I Bonds||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2010-2-12||I Bonds: The College Tax Break||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2010-1-29||The ABCs of Risk-Free I Bonds||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2010-1-15||Risk-Free Yield? Consider I Bonds||I Bonds||Mel Lindauer||I Bonds|
|2009-12-30||Hitting Your Target Asset Allocation||Asset Allocation||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2009-12-23||It's All About Your Asset Allocation||Asset Allocation||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2009-12-18||The Key To Investing Success: Start With A Plan||Investment Policy Statement||Laura Dogu||Investment Planning|
|2009-12-11||Who Cares What The Dow Did Last Week?||Tune Out Market Noise||Rick Ferri||Buy and Hold|
|2009-11-30||Last Minute Roth Opportunity||No RMD in 2009 Presents a Roth Conversion Opportunity||Mel Lindauer||Retirement|
|2009-11-27||Meet the Bogleheads||Introduction to the Bogleheads||Mel Lindauer||Bogleheads|
(05 March 2021)
- This week Christine Benz took a deeper look at the assertion that women invest more conservatively than men do. It turns out, it’s not so clear-cut — and to the extent that there are di...
(01 March 2021)
- After the recent article about maximizing after-tax dollars (as opposed to minimizing taxes), several people wrote in to ask about Roth conversions — specifically, when does it make sense to...
(19 February 2021)
- I recently learned that retirement writer/researcher Dirk Cotton passed away late last month. Through his blog, Retirement Cafe, Cotton taught me quite a bit over the years. I never had the chance...
(15 February 2021)
- When done properly, the goal of tax planning is not to minimize your taxes. Instead, the goal is to maximize the money that is left after taxes. That may sound like a trivial distinction — li...
(09 February 2021)
- It has come to my attention that last Monday’s article did not go out via email to many subscribers. I think the issue has been resolved going forward, but here’s the link for those of...
|Alma mater||Texas A&M University|
|Occupation||Author, financial adviser|
|Organization||Soundmark Wealth Management, LLC|
|Notable work||The Coffeehouse Investor; The Coffeehouse Investor's Ground Rules|
News and blogs is a bogleheads.org reading list author
In 1998 Bill Schultheis created the Coffeehouse Investor in an effort to bring a simpler and smarter investment philosophy to individuals and corporations across the nation and around the world. He has appeared regularly on Seattle’s PBS Serious Money program, is a guest contributor on NPR’s Morning Edition and wrote a syndicated investment column for eight years.
For 13 years he worked with retail and institutional accounts for Smith Barney in Seattle, WA. For the past eight years he has been a principal and fee-only financial adviser, currently with Soundmark Wealth Management in Kirkland, WA.
Schultheis grew up on a wheat farm in eastern Washington, attended Washington State University, and graduated from Texas A&M University in 1982.
When he’s not working, he can be found on the golf course, camping on Mt. Rainier, cooking in the kitchen, writing his next book, and enjoying the company of his wonderful family and friends.
— Bill Schultheis
- Schultheis, Bill (2009). The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life. p. 224. ISBN 978-1591845843.
- Schultheis, Bill (2020). The Coffeehouse Investor's Ground Rules: Save, Invest, and Plan for a Life of Wealth and Happiness. p. 160. ISBN 978-1119717089.
No RSS feeds are available, but articles can be found at:
- ETF.com every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Advisor Perspectives, about once a month.
- Alpha Architect, less frequently.
The Finance Buff
(02 March 2021)
Making fewer things matter helps you focus attention and ward off FOMO and sales pitches. You've made it when you can afford all the "mistakes."
The post Foreign Tax Credit With Form 1116 In TurboTax and H&R Block Software (23 February 2021)
You need a Form 1116 when your total foreign taxes paid is over $300/$600. Here's a walkthrough for how to do it in TurboTax and H&R Block software.
The post Self-Employed ACA Health Insurance Subsidy In H&R Block Tax Software (21 February 2021)
If you're self-employed and you buy health insurance from the ACA exchange, here's how to use H&R Block software to calculate the subsidy and tax deduction.
The post Import W-2 and 1099 Forms Into TurboTax and HR Block: From Where? (19 February 2021)
A list of payroll providers and financial institutions from which you can import W-2 and 1099 Forms into TurboTax or H&R Block tax software.
The post TurboTax 2020 CARES Act $300 Charity Donation Deduction (16 February 2021)
You need some patience to find the right place in TurboTax for the $300 charity donation deduction under the CARES Act when you take the standard deduction.
Social Science Research Network
(12 January 2021)
- Below are the top 10 downloaded papers of 2020 on SSRN. # ID Abstract Title Authors Affiliations Downloads 1 3550308 Temperature, Humidity and Latitude Analysis to Predict Potential Spread and Seas...
(23 November 2020)
- Here are the top 5 papers trending on SSRN, from November 16 to November 20, 2020. # ID Abstract Title Authors Affiliations Downloads 1 3695566 Not One of the Boys: Memoir of an Academic Misfit Sus...
(16 November 2020)
- Here are the top 5 papers trending on SSRN, from November 9 to November 13, 2020. # ID Abstract Title Authors Affiliations Downloads 1 3672484 Gender and Race Preferences in Hiring in the Age of Di...
(09 November 2020)
- Top 5 papers trending on SSRN, from November 2 to November 6, 2020. # ID Abstract Title Authors Affiliations Downloads 1 3722299 The Effects of Large Group Meetings on the Spread of COVID-19: The C...
(02 November 2020)
- Top 5 Papers trending on SSRN October 26 to November 2, 2020
Failed to load RSS feed from http://retirementresearcher.com/rss: Error parsing XML for RSS
- The Bogleheads® View
- Jim Dahle
- Laura Dogu
- Rick Ferri
- Mel Lindauer
- Wade Pfau
- Mike Piper
- Allan Roth
- Bill Schultheis
- SSRN blog
- Larry Swedroe
- The Finance Buff
- Financial Page, site blog expresses viewpoints about investing from members of the Bogleheads forum.