Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VTS3X

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by VTS3X »

Mother’s Winter Grind. My favorite coffee stout. I wish they would rename it to Daily Grind or Tasty Grind so it wasn’t obligated to be a seasonal offering. It’s their best beer
furiouschads

Post by furiouschads »

BotaBox RedVolution--a blend, so pretty close to an index.

I switched my IPS away from carbs a few years ago and began drinking box wine instead of beer. Set it and forget it. It has been great, because I can sleep with that choice of tipple.

Before that I liked Newcastle, Bass, Yuengling, Shiner Bock, Old Speckled Hen.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. --Charles Addams. #613 in 2022 BH prediction contest. #42 in 2023. Not that I am keeping track.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

Trader Joe’s Hefeweizen
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

Goose Island IPA. $22 out the door for a 15 pack.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
hudson

Post by hudson »

bengal22 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:05 pm
Thetightfist wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:33 pm What is a Boglehead beer? It should have good taste but it should be reasonable in cost, right?

What is the beer of choice for the Boglehead? Also, what is the beer of choice when splurging?

:lol:
I would think boglehead beer would be happy with average: "taste OK; semi-filling."

My go to beer is Newcastle brown ale
me too, but I haven't seen any for sale in a year.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

I just index my beers. IPA Index Beer; hoppy, but that's where the familiarity ends.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
enad

Post by enad »

Maybe someone could introduce a Boglehead Beer (limited production run) with the logo, sort of like Billy Beer? How cool would that be?
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Picasso wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:56 pm Holiday beers are upon us! Anchor Steam 2022 holiday beer is ok, don’t enjoy as much as last year.

Any others I should try and find?
Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale is a classic. Great Lakes is credited with starting the Cleveland or NE Ohio winter ale style (beautiful ale with Christmas flavors: subtle ginger, cinnamon, honey, 7.5% ABV). https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/christmas-ale

I'm a garage brewer so I make my own. Northern Brewer makes a clone kit. Check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7E1TrzqyKQ
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"What is a Boglehead beer? It should have good taste but it should be reasonable in cost, right?"

I don't know. Are you a beginning Boglehead or an old guy like me who started investing a little in 1969 and got carried away when index funds and deferred comp plans came along? Now I have too much money and buy beer without looking at the price.

Of course, I buy most of my imported 12-packs at Total Beer and Wine and not at the grocery store and save a few dollars on each.

I do look at Chardonnay prices for my wife (and her friends.) A bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay at the nearest grocery store out here in sticks is $17 at Food Lion. ($17 is nuts, it's only $20 at the convenience stores on the beach road in Nags Head NC.) It's only a dollar to two cheaper if I drive 20 minutes to get to a Kroger or Publix, etc.
At Total the price just increased for the first time in years. It went from $9.97 to $10.97. It's about the same at Costco, but that is even farther away across town than Total and I hate the Costco experience.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 am
MH2 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:33 am Of course, Budweiser is also worth a try :mrgreen: :beer
Which one? There's a huge difference between the original and the new world version ;)

Budweiser Budvar Brewery
There is Budweiser :sharebeer, and then there is "Bud" :mrgreen:
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:33 am
Picasso wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:56 pm Holiday beers are upon us! Anchor Steam 2022 holiday beer is ok, don’t enjoy as much as last year.

Any others I should try and find?
Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale is a classic. Great Lakes is credited with starting the Cleveland or NE Ohio winter ale style (beautiful ale with Christmas flavors: subtle ginger, cinnamon, honey, 7.5% ABV). https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/christmas-ale

I'm a garage brewer so I make my own. Northern Brewer makes a clone kit. Check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7E1TrzqyKQ
Great tip I’ll try it out!
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

Been meaning to fire up the garage brewing option, again. Any other favorite supplier besides northern brewer? I've used Williams brewing and homebrewers dot org but it's been awhile.... Any suggestions?
Don't Work Forever.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Still not sure anything beats Fat Tire amber ale.

If I'm ever in the east coast, I always order Yeungling.
hudson

Post by hudson »

familythriftmd wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:14 am Still not sure anything beats Fat Tire amber ale.

If I'm ever in the east coast, I always order Yeungling.
Fat Tire by New Belgium is pretty good especially on draft.
At New Belgium's Asheville location, I tried and liked their Summer Bliss. I don't see it as a current offering on their website. I could never find it locally.

https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/summer-bliss/
windaar

Post by windaar »

I tried the craft brew thing for a while but got tired of the sweet, sour, and pine-needle tastes. My Grandpa, who was from Germany, wouldn't have thought that any of that was "beer." We've gone back to clean cold tasty classics: Stella Artois, Peroni, Heineken, Modelo. In the summer any American beer out of a cooler of ice is fine. Stuff that tastes great with nachos, burgers, pizza.
Nobody knows nothing.
worktilIdie

Post by worktilIdie »

Agree with the life is too short for cheap beer comment. I normally pay $16-$20 all day for a four pack. Russian River Pliny the Elder is $7/16.9 oz bottle and often sold out and somewhat hard to get/find.
SevenBridgesRoad

Yukon wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:04 am
Been meaning to fire up the garage brewing option, again. Any other favorite supplier besides northern brewer? I've used Williams brewing and homebrewers dot org but it's been awhile.... Any suggestions?
For ingredients, always start with your local home brewers shop, if that is an option. If not, Northern Brewer is tough to beat for ingredients and kits. Williams is fine; a longtime brew buddy of mine uses them exclusively.
SevenBridgesRoad

worktilIdie wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:28 am Agree with the life is too short for cheap beer comment. I normally pay $16-$20 all day for a four pack. Russian River Pliny the Elder is $7/16.9 oz bottle and often sold out and somewhat hard to get/find.
Definitely agree.

You've been a member since 2019 and beer draws you to your first post? I like it! :sharebeer
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

windaar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:59 am I tried the craft brew thing for a while but got tired of the sweet, sour, and pine-needle tastes. My Grandpa, who was from Germany, wouldn't have thought that any of that was "beer." We've gone back to clean cold tasty classics: Stella Artois, Peroni, Heineken, Modelo. In the summer any American beer out of a cooler of ice is fine. Stuff that tastes great with nachos, burgers, pizza.
^^^That is my thought as well. Much of the "craft" brew product out there is made by less than "crafty" brewers. It seems [like --admin LadyGeek] they are making "cr@p" beer, not "craft" beer.

On a hot summer day, I'll take a Pabst Blue Ribbon in a cold longneck bottle... though the longnecks seem to ve getting hard to find in my area.
hudson

Post by hudson »

windaar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:59 am I tried the craft brew thing for a while but got tired of the sweet, sour, and pine-needle tastes. My Grandpa, who was from Germany, wouldn't have thought that any of that was "beer." We've gone back to clean cold tasty classics: Stella Artois, Peroni, Heineken, Modelo. In the summer any American beer out of a cooler of ice is fine. Stuff that tastes great with nachos, burgers, pizza.
My barber lady's German mother named the American beer that to her was mostly like German Beer.

Miller High Life

When I go to a bar with many unfamiliar beers on tap, I just ask for a lager.
Last edited by hudson on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zymurgist

Post by zymurgist »

Yukon wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:04 am
As a Midwestern homebrewer, I've had great success with RiteBrew located in Wisconsin.
Their pricing is competitive and if you're in the upper Midwest, they offer a shipping option through Spee-Dee delivery, a regional delivery company. Spee-Dee almost always seems to be lower than the other shipping options, plus I've almost always received my order the next day. The order just has to be placed before the posted same-day shipping cutoff time for next day delivery - that's easy enough. Shipping speed is obviously a crucial consideration when ordering liquid yeast.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

Yukon wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:04 am Been meaning to fire up the garage brewing option, again. Any other favorite supplier besides northern brewer? I've used Williams brewing and homebrewers dot org but it's been awhile.... Any suggestions?
I have been using NB as a supplier for over 10+ years and have always been pleased. Still go to a local place occasionally but the only decent one near me is a good 30 min drive. NB has always had great customer service if there were any issues. I have noticed a few months back the last time I ordered that there fulfillment and shipping times were much longer .....I inquired after about a week on my order status and they got right back saying they were swamped but were working on it, then sent me a $10 off coupon for the next order!
I believe if you order more than $59, shipping is free. They do have some excellent kit recipes to choose from.