Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
edgeagg

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by edgeagg »

protagonist wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 pm 20 pages of recommendations....analysis paralysis.....(giggle)
It would be easier at this point to just list the beers that have not been mentioned yet and avoid them.
It shows that Bogleheads do nothing about active investing but spend the time on more worthwhile pursuits - like beer, travel and food. I bet if I started a thread on what everyone cooked yesterday, I'd get very eclectic responses (and recipes)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Already done: So what are you cooking
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

Our current North America top choices:
Unibroue - Chambly, QC
Allagash - Portland, ME
pFriem - Hood River, OR
Southern Tier, Lakewood, NY
(Specially when we want a beer that isn't a beer.)

Notable beer bars:
Monk's Cafe, Philly PA
Bedondaine & Bedons Ronds, Chambly, QC
Bukowski's, Cambridge, MA (Closed)

Israel
Beer Bazaar - Either in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem
Dancing Camel, Tel Aviv

Notable beer bars:
Beer Bazaar
Porter & Sons, Tel Aviv

France - Biere de la Rade, Toulon

When Mr. R travels for work, he usually takes a few bottles of something special with him to practice beer diplomacy at the local bars on his down time.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Beer is like coffee. I really like good beer or good coffee, but I'll be happy with any beer or any coffee.
There is nothing worse than no beer or no coffee.
I stock Coors Lite. For special occasions, Newcastle works.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

My go-to summer brew is Sam76. Refreshingly mild citrus taste. Not too light. Not too heavy. I find all the local and IPA stuff too overwhelming. Not much of a taste for beer in the winter months.
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

Pliny the Elder from Russian river brewing company and Brother Thelonious beer from North Coast brewing company on special occasions. On a normal day I like craft non-alcoholic beers like Upside Dawn from Athletic brewing company.
JOEVANDAL

Post by JOEVANDAL »

Montucky Coldsnacks.
Candor

Post by Candor »

My lighter go to recently has been Blue Moon. Currently drinking a local brewery Legends Brown Ale which is very nice.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

I thought I’d give the non-alcoholic beers a shot. Grabbed the two the local beer shop guy said weren’t terrible.

Brewdog Hazy AF is good but not quite a NEIPA, if you told me they were going for a Brut IPA I’d say they nailed it. Note this uses milk sugar so not vegan friendly.

Athletic Brewing Free Wave is great, really close to a New England Double IPA but <0.5% alcohol.

I’m happy they’re not awful. Seems like a great thing for when you want to have a beer but don’t want to wake up tomorrow having had a beer. Or if you want to have a couple over a 2 hour Zoom hang without feeling it.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

I enjoy IPA with a strong hop aroma and flavor such as Melvin 2x4 DIPA, Crux halfhitch, Beak Breaker, and Monster Cookies. Most are Pacific Northwest Breweries.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I'm wintering in St. Petersburg, FL. Last year I was told there were 150 microbreweries in the Tampa Bay area, and I don't think that was an exaggeration. I can walk to probably about a dozen of them from my airbnb.
Where I usually live, New England, is justifiably well-known for its great microbrews, but I find that the ones down here around
Tampa Bay are much more creative. Not just your basic "New England hazy IPA" or "Imperial stout" or whatever. Chocolate peanut butter sours and "crunchberry" IPAs and hazelnut cream and sugar stouts....I could go on and on. The surprising thing is that so many of them are REALLY delicious.
IMO

Post by IMO »

protagonist wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:39 am I'm wintering in St. Petersburg, FL. Last year I was told there were 150 microbreweries in the Tampa Bay area, and I don't think that was an exaggeration. I can walk to probably about a dozen of them from my airbnb.
Where I usually live, New England, is justifiably well-known for its great microbrews, but I find that the ones down here around
Tampa Bay are much more creative. Not just your basic "New England hazy IPA" or "Imperial stout" or whatever. Chocolate peanut butter sours and "crunchberry" IPAs and hazelnut cream and sugar stouts....I could go on and on. The surprising thing is that so many of them are REALLY delicious.
Very cool, has been awhile since going to Tampa, but puts it back on the list to revisit. Really enjoy trying the creative choices people make and makes me think about starting to home brew again.

What's funny is I have some close friends that are all Vodka/Tequila snobs (for which I'm not). But then when it comes down to beers, they seem to be fine drinking things like Coors Light or "piss beer" as someone once referred to those level of beers.
XtremeSki2001

Re: What’s your favorite beer(s)?

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:38 pm Guinness, served in Ireland preferred!
Enjoyed a few Guinness at the wonderful Horseshoe Bar inside the Shelbourne Hotel next to Stephen's Green. For a more authentic feel, we enjoyed a few at McGrattans.

Does Guinness actually taste better in Ireland? No, but being in Ireland during consumption sure does trick the mind!
hudson wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:57 pm Beer is like coffee.
Very true. I bet there are quite a few coffee snobs among us. Personal coffee favorites are from:

Coava Coffee Roasters
PT's Coffee Roasting
George Howell Coffee
Mountain Air Roasting

Bias towards coffees from Africa ... Ethopian specifically, following a natural process. Yemen, too, which coincidentally originated in Ethopia.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
Bylo Selhi

Re: What’s your favorite beer(s)?

Post by Bylo Selhi »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:42 am
bob60014 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:38 pm Guinness, served in Ireland preferred!
Enjoyed a few Guinness at the wonderful Horseshoe Bar inside the Shelbourne Hotel next to Stephen's Green. For a more authentic feel, we enjoyed a few at McGrattans.
John Kavanagh "The Gravediggers"
BBC - Travel - Where gravediggers drank their pints wrote: Since this Dublin pub opened in 1833, no singing or dancing has been allowed, and there’s never been a telephone or a TV...
Our go-to pub in Dublin. A bit of a hike from downtown but well worth the effort. When you go through the door it feels like you entered a time machine and arrived 200 years in the past. On a nice day you can take your pints outside and drink them in the park across the road.
lws

Post by lws »

Stone IPA at Costco.
Aventinus

Post by Aventinus »

Anything Aventinus, amazing German beer. Everything else is disappointing.
valleyrock

Re:

Post by valleyrock »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:11 pm
Keim wrote:Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
How did you learn?
The book "How to Brew" is supposed to be excellent. I have it and bought used brewing equipment, but haven't jumped in yet
slippinsurlies

Re:

Post by slippinsurlies »

woof755 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:20 pm Visiting a friend in Hawaii in a week (a friend indeed!). Any beers there I shouldn't miss?
Anything from Lanikai Brewing. Their Pillbox Porter is my current #1. Bonus points if you go to their tap room in Kailua. The pizza there is good.
There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

My vote is Lion Red from New Zealand. Hard to find in the U.S., but occasionally Trader Joe's has it in stock. I haven't seen it in the last few years.

Ralph
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Not related to the above question, but I wanted to mention my favorite summertime beer - Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is a weiss beer with a lemon flavor. It hits the spot.

FYI - A shandy beer is beer mixed with a fruit juice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I like lighter beer. Like Shocktop, Blue Moon. Allagash White, Sweetwater Blue, Dogfish Head Namaste. I don't drink a lot of beer so I don't mind paying for what I like. Usually $20 or so for 12. When you go cheap on beer you usually get cheap, bad beer.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:59 am Not related to the above question, but I wanted to mention my favorite summertime beer - Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is a weiss beer with a lemon flavor. It hits the spot.

Have you trued Mango Cart by Golden Road Brewing? Had one the other night at a concert and if you like Summer Shandy, I think you would really like Mango Cart.
Last edited by MDfan on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

My Untappd stats.

5,200 total check ins
2,281 unique beers

Yes, I like beer. 5-10 years ago I was always seeking out new beers that weren't available in my area. I still do this a little on vacations but most places today have local breweries that produce great beer that you can get fresh. I live in Iowa and we are saturated with amazing brewers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

MDfan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:24 am Hav you trued Mango Cart by Golden Road Brewing? Had one the other night at a concert and if you like Summer Shandy, I think you would really like Mango Cart.
No, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

dsmclone wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:01 am My Untappd stats.

5,200 total check ins
2,281 unique beers

Yes, I like beer. 5-10 years ago I was always seeking out new beers that weren't available in my area. I still do this a little on vacations but most places today have local breweries that produce great beer that you can get fresh. I live in Iowa and we are saturated with amazing brewers.
I recently hit 1,000 unique on Untappd and thought I was pretty far along, but I feel humbled now.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:59 am Not related to the above question, but I wanted to mention my favorite summertime beer - Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is a weiss beer with a lemon flavor. It hits the spot.

The German equivalent is called Radler [literally "cyclist," so named because cyclists could drink it in quantity without getting (too) drunk.]

If you like weissbier-based shandies then you may be able to find a better selection by looking for Radler.
https://www.americancraftbeer.com/what- ... -a-radler/
https://renegadebrewing.com/radler-beer/
illumination

Post by illumination »

Reissdorf Kölsch is probably my favorite beer. It's a German Kolsch. I'm not much of a beer snob, but I absolutely love it. Somewhat hard for me to find in my area, also pricey.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

After a good sweat working in the yard, (or while sweating on the course) Goose Island IPA hits the spot.
15 for $22 out the door at my local stop
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Boglehead craft beer: Founders All Day IPA. Good taste and small price tag (around $1 per can)

Splurge: Focal Banger or Heady Topper from the Alchemist in Vermont. Top rated IPAs and cost around $3.25/can.
Light weight baby!
slicendice

Post by slicendice »

I'm definitely seasonal when it comes to my beer taste. Late fall/winter I'll (2nd, 3rd, ?...) Brother Thelonius from Fort Bragg Brewing, Lagunitas's Russian Imperial stout is also tasty, kind of thick and heavy almost a meal unto itself. Early spring I love Lagunitas's Equinox pale ale, In summer some of the IPA's from Fort Point Brewing although there are many awesome competitors in this slot. On a hot day something even lighter like Trummer Pilsner is great.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Does Ginger beer count? I love Crabbie's.

https://www.crabbiesgingerbeer.com/

Otherwise I don't care for traditional wheat beers, I prefer fruit wine, mead, and hard ciders.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Two of my favorites: Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock and Paulaner-Salvator Dopplebock. I also like Blue Moon Belgian-style wheat beer on a hot summer day. None of these are cheap, especially the dopplebocks. But I only ever drank small amounts of these and infrequently. Actually I virtually never drink beverages with alcohol in them anymore due to health problems. Also, they are contraindicated for the meds I'm on. So have a drink for me. :D
Morik

Post by Morik »

I'm partial to brown ales (not too dark; Guinness is too bitter for me, Newcastle is really good), milk stouts, and wheat beers generally.
I can't stand IPAs--I don't like the hoppy taste.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Yeungling Traditional Lager in bottles is in my opinion the best of the cheap beers.

Sierra Nevada makes good IPAs. I like their IPA, double IPA Torpedo, and most of all Hazy Little Thing.

Founder's All Day IPA is good.

Imperial Stouts are hard on the stomach and you really have to sip them slowly, so I don't get them often.

I avoid any beer with fruit in it - bad combination. Not huge on chocolate either.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
HopHead

Post by HopHead »

Although August has just started and I am a west coast IPA die hard, the Oktoberfest beers have now arrived in my area and the sampling shall begin!

Bitburger Festbier
Highland Brewing Clawhammer Oktoberfest
Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier
Great Lakes Brewing Oktoberfest
Bell's Octoberfest Beer
The Duck Rabbit Marzen Fest Lager
WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life »

I'm into the sour beers nowadays :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Same here. :beer I had a local draft sour cherry beer that was very good. (In PA, all local beer must be produced in the state.)
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Yesterday splurged for a barrel aged eggnog stout. Fresh in a breweries tap room. 10% ABV. + taste awesome. Nice for the holidays. :sharebeer
MH2

Post by MH2 »

My recommendations for anyone who finds themselves in North or Central Europe for a bit:

Westmalle Tripel
Trappistes Rochefort 8
Chimay Bleue
Schwartzer Kristall (Brauerei Locher)

The first three are Belgian and relatively easy to find anywhere in Europe (recently had a Chimay in Seattle, in fact). The last is regional to Eastern Switzerland.

Of course, Budweiser is also worth a try :mrgreen: :beer
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Constants in my garage fridge are Yuengling Premium Beer (not Lager), Shock Top Belgian White, and Yuengling Hershey’s Chocolate Porter. If I'm at the nearby Italian Lodge, I'm happy to quaff $2.75 pints of Yuengling Lager on tap.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
DrChronzworth

Post by DrChronzworth »

I will echo the recommendation for Yuengling Premium- it’s pretty hard to find but I think it tastes better and is more consistent than regular Yuengling which I find sometimes can taste a little off on occasion.
djshackesq

Post by djshackesq »

For anyone in New England, Switchback Ale from Burlington, VT is my favorite beer year-round. It's perfectly balanced and refreshing enough for summer and amber/brown and smooth enough for winter.
Mr. Buzzkill

Post by Mr. Buzzkill »

Personally, I think that Generic Beer, which was all that I could afford in college, exemplifies BH-ness.

All the carbonation of brand-name beers with a very low ER. Any flavorings or tilt towards specific styles of beers will move you away from the market portfolio beer and hurt your wallet over the long term.

Home-brew is too complicated when simplicity of generic will get you what you want: Tastes great (after enough of them), less filling.
A strategy that works only in bull markets isn’t much of a strategy. Anyway, four dollars a pound.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

MH2 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:33 am Of course, Budweiser is also worth a try :mrgreen: :beer
Which one? There's a huge difference between the original and the new world version ;)

Budweiser Budvar Brewery
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Mr. Buzzkill wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:48 am Personally, I think that Generic Beer, which was all that I could afford in college, exemplifies BH-ness.

All the carbonation of brand-name beers with a very low ER. Any flavorings or tilt towards specific styles of beers will move you away from the market portfolio beer and hurt your wallet over the long term.

Home-brew is too complicated when simplicity of generic will get you what you want: Tastes great (after enough of them), less filling.
What about juice, yeast, and a bucket - it's a 3 fund portfolio.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
Bearcat78

Post by Bearcat78 »

Exile Ruthie for a lager and Exile Zoltan for a nice IPA. Located in Des Moines, Iowa
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

If it's not Pabst Blue Ribbon on price alone (avg $8 per 12-pack) then it's not a true Boglehead recommendation :twisted: :P /joking
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

It seems like the market is missing an opportunity here, since the only true Boglehead Beers would be:

"Boglehead VTI Beer" - a market-weighted mixture of every beer currently made in the United States.
"Boglehead FTSE ex-US Beer" - a market-weighted mixture of every beer currently made outside of the United States.

We could then start endless debates on why some drink 40% VTI and 60% ex-US, while others vow to stick with 100% VTI forever. :D
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

jrbdmb wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:08 pm "Boglehead VTI Beer" - a market-weighted mixture of every beer currently made in the United States.
The most basic approach to diversification is the black and tan.

I remember some friends back in college mentioning this sort of blending as a party theme, although I don't think it was a gathering that I attended. Everyone was supposed to bring something to share, and they all went in the same container to be served as a blend. I recall this being reported as not a great idea flavor wise.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Holiday beers are upon us! Anchor Steam 2022 holiday beer is ok, don’t enjoy as much as last year.

Any others I should try and find?