Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kenoryan

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by kenoryan »

The way I look at it, if I'm not using my time to make money, then I should be doing stuff that I enjoy. And I love hanging out in my garage making beer. It makes for a nice saturday morning activity and my buddy comes over to 'help'.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

kenoryan wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:45 pm The way I look at it, if I'm not using my time to make money, then I should be doing stuff that I enjoy. And I love hanging out in my garage making beer. It makes for a nice saturday morning activity and my buddy comes over to 'help'.
Can't wait to personally do this myself. Hoping to do eBIAB. Need to wait until the kids are older :happy
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
watchnerd

Re:

Post by watchnerd »

DRiP Guy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 pm
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
That's actually pretty mid-price for a 22 oz craft beer.

Plenty more in the $7-10 range. Very few <$3 in that category.

I get my 64 oz growler filled at my local breweries, usually for about $20-25.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Since this thread has arisen from the dead, let me throw a question out there for the Philadelphia Bogleheads. DW and I have a visit to Philadelphia planned in the not distant future, and in scoping out some of the local joints we ran across something that caught our attention. Anybody ever been to the Flying Pig? They reportedly have a giant economy-sized beer lineup, which we both find intriguing.

Edit: the “giant economy-sized” was meant to refer to the variety of different beers offered, not to the size of the beers themselves. Sorry for the ambiguity. :beer
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
StrangePenguin

Re: Re:

Post by StrangePenguin »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:23 pm
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

For a 22oz, $5 is super cheap. Around $10 is standard and some are more. Keep in mind that the 22oz'ers are usually "extra special" beers, often high ABV.

Beer is one of my indulgences where I spend way more than I do in other aspects of life. I do try to do most of my drinking at home though, to somewhat keep the costs under control. (And I try to limit my consumption somewhat, more for health reasons than finance.)
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Another vote for PBR and Yuengling. I am 81. PBR kept my kidneys flushed from 18 to about 40 and Yuengling for the past 40 plus. Good stuff, both best as draft......Gordon
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
Disciple of John Neff
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

gwrvmd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm Another vote for PBR and Yuengling. I am 81. PBR kept my kidneys flushed from 18 to about 40 and Yuengling for the past 40 plus. Good stuff, both best as draft......Gordon
I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
I think freshness is key to Yuengling. Yuengling is rare on the west coast, and if you find, it's usually skunked or otherwise bad. But when I've had it in the Pennsylvania / Delaware region, it was a nice example of American macro lager.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

StrangePenguin wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:10 pm

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

For a 22oz, $5 is super cheap. Around $10 is standard and some are more. Keep in mind that the 22oz'ers are usually "extra special" beers, often high ABV.

Beer is one of my indulgences where I spend way more than I do in other aspects of life. I do try to do most of my drinking at home though, to somewhat keep the costs under control. (And I try to limit my consumption somewhat, more for health reasons than finance.)
One of the great things about beer is that they most expensive beers I've seen were like $35-50 for a 750 ml bottle. You can get best in class beers for relatively low cost relative to wine.

In contrast to the wine world, where $35-50 is very nice, but a piker's price compared to the pricey stuff.
MJW

Post by MJW »

gwrvmd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
It does seem to have taken on new life as the beer of choice for hipsters, or at least it did a few years ago. I suspect it's as much if not more of a novelty/ironic thing as it is that they actually enjoy drinking it.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

MJW wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm
gwrvmd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm I am amused that PBR has come back as a niche "In Beer"
It does seem to have taken on new life as the beer of choice for hipsters, or at least it did a few years ago. I suspect it's as much if not more of a novelty/ironic thing as it is that they actually enjoy drinking it.
And the influence of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet."
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 pm Since this thread has arisen from the dead, let me throw a question out there for the Philadelphia Bogleheads. DW and I have a visit to Philadelphia planned in the not distant future, and in scoping out some of the local joints we ran across something that caught our attention. Anybody ever been to the Flying Pig? They reportedly have a giant economy-sized beer lineup, which we both find intriguing.

Edit: the “giant economy-sized” was meant to refer to the variety of different beers offered, not to the size of the beers themselves. Sorry for the ambiguity. :beer
I think you meant The Blind Pig? Never been, but they’re draft list isn’t posted so can’t speak to what they have. I think when most Philadelphians think about a place for a large / eclectic beer selection they go to Monk’s Cafe.

Some others favorites ... Standard Tap, Memphis Taproom, Local 44, and plenty of others.

There’s no shortage of breweries accessible by mass trainsit ... Nodding Head, Yards, Earth Bread, 2nd Story, Dock Street, Crime and Punishment, Fishtown Brewpub, And if you don’t mind a short drive ... Tired Hands, Neshaminy Creek, Victory, and lots of others.

If you’ve never been to the city .. you can’t beat some pre dinner drinks and mussels at Monks and then a short walk to some of the great restaurants on Rittenhouse (Rogue, Devon, Parc, Barclay Prime). Just be prepared to spend some $$ :).
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

My wife and I are 33/37 and we buy it because it is the best "cheap" beer. It's good beer without paying Michigan craft beer prices.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Hobbit Juice: A double IPA from Beer'd Brewing in Stonington, CT. Hard to find but if you are near the brewery, def. worth the trip
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 am I think you meant The Blind Pig?
No, I double-checked, it's the Flying Pig. We ran across it on Tripadvisor. I looked up the address, though, and it appears it's not in Philadelphia proper but somewhere out west maybe 15 miles or so. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the suggestions.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
camper

Post by camper »

Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Dirty (edited) Bastard
Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate
Sam Smith's Taddy Porter
Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale
Last edited by camper on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

With fall coming up are there any Octoberfest brews you guys like to buy around this time of year?
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

MJW wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am With fall coming up are there any Octoberfest brews you guys like to buy around this time of year?
In the Philly area ... Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin, Dogfish - Head Punkin, Neshaminy Creek - Punkless Dunkell.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I've been disappointed in pumpkin beers and no longer seek them out. Have you had those beers before?

What do you think of Neshaminy Creek, which is in the Philly area?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 am ^^^ I've been disappointed in pumpkin beers and no longer seek them out. Have you had those beers before?

What do you think of Neshaminy Creek, which is in the Philly area?
I’m over Pumpkin beers, but these are the best ones I’ve ever had. I really like Neshaminy Creek (in Croydon/Bensalem area) overall ... their pumpkin beer may be hard to come by but it’s a dunkelweizen with pumpkin so a unique take compared to what other brewers are doing.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

StrangePenguin wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:10 pm
DRiP Guy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 pm $5.19/single 22 oz beer?

+1. Life is too short for mediocre beer.

I thought that $8/22oz for Dragon's Milk from New Holland at my local beer snob emporium was a bargain. On the other hand, I did recently see Dogfish 120 minute IPA on a shelf for the first time ever. I think it was marked at $5.20 for a 12oz bottle. Seemed a bit too pricey for what it is.

That plus the fact that I actually like Dogfish 60 better than Dogfish 90 was enough to convince me to try something else. To me, Dogfish 90 tastes like somebody added straight alcohol to what could have been a perfectly good IPA.

(I do like IPAs both single and double-- Voodoo Ranger Imperial from New Belgium is one of my current favorites.)
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

camper wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:16 am Here are some I have enjoyed recently.
Founders Angry Bastard
Prolly you meant Dirty Bastard, or the barrel-aged version Backwoods Bastard.
Both get a thumbs up from me. :sharebeer

As for other Scotch Ales, I've yet to try Scotty Karate from Dark Horse. I came close to trying Under the Kilt from Dragonmead, but the first bottle I opened produced a volcanic eruption of foam and most of it ended up on the kitchen counter. Will be a bit more careful with the next bottle.
camper

Post by camper »

House Blend wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm
Founders Angry Bastard
Prolly you meant Dirty Bastard, or the barrel-aged version Backwoods Bastard.
Both get a thumbs up from me. :sharebeer

As for other Scotch Ales, I've yet to try Scotty Karate from Dark Horse. I came close to trying Under the Kilt from Dragonmead, but the first bottle I opened produced a volcanic eruption of foam and most of it ended up on the kitchen counter. Will be a bit more careful with the next bottle.
That's the one. Next trip to Total Wine, I will try the Backwoods.
IPS&IPA

Post by IPS&IPA »

My latest favorite beer

Revenant IPA
Lost Coast Brewery, Eureka, CA.

from their website: Revenant IPA has full-bodied flavor from rich Pale malts generating a light amber hue. A blend of Simco and Citra hops to generate a unique and lively citrus aroma and flavor. This is a very refreshing IPA suitable for hopheads and everyone else, as well.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Jake: Hit it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm not an IPA fan, but am currently drinking Yards IPA - another Philly area brewery that has been around for quite some time. Not bad.
House Blend wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 pm +1. Life is too short for mediocre beer.

I thought that $8/22oz for Dragon's Milk from New Holland at my local beer snob emporium was a bargain. On the other hand, I did recently see Dogfish 120 minute IPA on a shelf for the first time ever. I think it was marked at $5.20 for a 12oz bottle. Seemed a bit too pricey for what it is.

That plus the fact that I actually like Dogfish 60 better than Dogfish 90 was enough to convince me to try something else. To me, Dogfish 90 tastes like somebody added straight alcohol to what could have been a perfectly good IPA.

(I do like IPAs both single and double-- Voodoo Ranger Imperial from New Belgium is one of my current favorites.)
I've recently seen Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA for $10/bottle (NJ liquor store). When it first came out, I was amazed how different it was from the 90 minute IPA. Fast forward to today, my tastes have changed and would agree that the Dogfish head 60 is the better choice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

You're always going to take it in the shorts when buying 22oz bombers. Total Domination is often available at my Costco, for ~$27 a case - less than $7 per six pack of 12oz bottles. That's a steal for a good beer.
MJW

Post by MJW »

House Blend wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 pm As for other Scotch Ales, I've yet to try Scotty Karate from Dark Horse.
Not a huge Scotch ales fan, but it would be hard to pass up trying something called Scotty Karate. :happy
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Anyone have/like a coffee blonde?

Ive had this style a few times, but cant seem to get my hands on it anywhere near me. Its basically a blonde ale which is racked on coffee beans during secondary fermentation so it keeps its golden color. You get coffee on the nose with a nice blonde ale taste with a coffee finish.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Founders Angry Bastard
I don't think this is a thing. I've enjoyed both of these beers:

Founders Dirty Bastard (Scotch Ale)
Stone Arrogant Bastard (Aggressive Strong Ale)

But I don't recall Founders making a beer called Angry Bastard. Google isn't aware of it, and neither is Founders Brewing Company.
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

As a Sailor on passage in a small boat (30 foot sloop) with no refrigeration, one must go for best taste warm. Schlitz wins the warm beer competition IMHO.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

gvsucavie03 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:20 am
My wife and I are 33/37 and we buy it because it is the best "cheap" beer. It's good beer without paying Michigan craft beer prices.
Michigan craft beer is totally worth the price for a special occasion, but you need to identify cheaper substitutes if you are a regular drinker. Blue Moon is close to Bell's Oberon and there are a decent amount of bourbon barrel options that work in place of New Holland Dragon's Milk. Newer breweries often have a bit of a discount compared to the established options.
camper

Post by camper »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 pm
Founders Angry Bastard
I don't think this is a thing. I've enjoyed both of these beers:

Founders Dirty Bastard (Scotch Ale)
Stone Arrogant Bastard (Aggressive Strong Ale)

But I don't recall Founders making a beer called Angry Bastard. Google isn't aware of it, and neither is Founders Brewing Company.
As discussed above, it was my mistake...Founders Dirty Bastard.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

I tend to buy expensive beer, and I generally like to try things on draft or in single bottles, shying away from unknown 6 packs--because I might know in the first sip that a beer is not for me. Based on a rec. A few days ago I bought a six pack of Kujo, a col press coffee porter (6%) from Flying Dog. It's now gone and I'll have to see if I can get another, super enjoyed this one. There's a weird story about a dog on the bottle that I've since been informed is because Kujo is the name of a Stephen King novel/movie.

Cheers to the return of stout season!
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

I like lager beers over IPA.
Moosehead beer is my favorite Canadian lager beer.
Check it out. :sharebeer
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

JDDS wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:13 am Cheers to the return of stout season!
Cheers to this! My stout inventory is high and ready for consumption.
barreg

Post by barreg »

If you like beer and you like bourbon, you'll like Founder's Backwoods Bastard. Tyranena's Rocky's Revenge is another good beer with bourbon hints, a brown ale aged in bourbon barrels. Not sure if it's available outside Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Backwoods Bastard is available in WV. I didn't like it though. I do like barrel aged beers at times, but this one didn't do it for me. I think I prefer the oaky taste rather than the bourbony taste I got from BB.

I did have Rogue's Hazlenut Brown Nectar last night and it really hit the spot.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

JDDS wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:13 am Based on a rec. A few days ago I bought a six pack of Kujo, a col press coffee porter (6%) from Flying Dog. It's now gone and I'll have to see if I can get another, super enjoyed this one. There's a weird story about a dog on the bottle that I've since been informed is because Kujo is the name of a Stephen King novel/movie.

Cheers to the return of stout season!
You might like Southern Tier's Coldpress Coffee Pumking. Might be able to find it in a 22oz, but I know it's available in 4 packs of 12oz bottles. I almost bought it yesterday, but for $15 a 4 pack I didn't want to take the chance of being underwhelmed. You try it first and tell me if it's good.

Edited to add: It's not a stout though. It's a pumpkin beer.
Last edited by health teacher on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I mostly use Saranac Pale Ale
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Not very Boglehead, but enjoyed Firestone Walker's Stickee Monkee from 2017 the other night. One of the most delicious Belgian quads I've ever had.
tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate »

health teacher wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:03 pm Anyone have/like a coffee blonde?

Ive had this style a few times, but cant seem to get my hands on it anywhere near me. Its basically a blonde ale which is racked on coffee beans during secondary fermentation so it keeps its golden color. You get coffee on the nose with a nice blonde ale taste with a coffee finish.
Harpoon's Winter Blonde is the only one I can find regularly, and even then it's seasonal. It says it's made with "vanilla cold brew from a local supplier." I enjoyed it enough that I usually buy it once or twice every winter.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

tea_pirate wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am
Harpoon's Winter Blonde is the only one I can find regularly, and even then it's seasonal. It says it's made with "vanilla cold brew from a local supplier." I enjoyed it enough that I usually buy it once or twice every winter.
Thanks!

With the trendiness of coffee and craft beer, I can't believe this style hasn't caught fire, especially since the craft beer industry has put more focus on "lighter" fare. I might experiment dropping a few coffee beans in a blonde ale and see what happens.
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

health teacher wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 am
tea_pirate wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am
Thanks!

With the trendiness of coffee and craft beer, I can't believe this style hasn't caught fire, especially since the craft beer industry has put more focus on "lighter" fare. I might experiment dropping a few coffee beans in a blonde ale and see what happens.
Homebrewers refer to this as "dry beaning" and you will definitely get a lot of coffee aroma/flavor from doing this. Typically the rates are about 1-4 ounces of whole beans per 5 gallons of beer. For 24-72 hours

Post by alter »

It does not make sense to try and select a single best beer.

Take the 500 best beers and pour them all together in a barrel and drink that.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

alter wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:22 am Take the 500 best beers and pour them all together in a barrel and drink that.
How hard is it to drink that stuff with tongue planted firmly in cheek?
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

When it comes to beer, I take a page from the old, white haired guy that built Jurassic Park in the movies...I spare no expense.

I recently got a 4 pack of N'Ice Chouffe for about $20. The happy little forest gnomes on the label cleverly disguise the high ABV of this Belgian dark ale.

It is really tasty.

I also enjoyed Sam Adams Holiday Sampler this year, the Holiday Porter and Chocolate Stout were quite good.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

investingdad wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 pm When it comes to beer, I take a page from the old, white haired guy that built Jurassic Park in the movies...I spare no expense.

I recently got a 4 pack of N'Ice Chouffe for about $20. The happy little forest gnomes on the label cleverly disguise the high ABV of this Belgian dark ale.
Brasserie d'Achouffe makes great Belgian beers indeed! I personally love their La Chouffe ... coincidentally my draft cup of choice has always been the tulip glass of the same (below), but recently broke it after years of devoted use. RIP.
https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/019 ... -glass.jpg
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

XtremeSki2001 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm
investingdad wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 pm When it comes to beer, I take a page from the old, white haired guy that built Jurassic Park in the movies...I spare no expense.

Brasserie d'Achouffe makes great Belgian beers indeed! I personally love their La Chouffe ... coincidentally my draft cup of choice has always been the tulip glass of the same (below), but recently broke it after years of devoted use. RIP.
I NEED that glass.

I have a Chimay tulip glass that I use for this beer.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

investingdad wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 pm
XtremeSki2001 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm Brasserie d'Achouffe makes great Belgian beers indeed! I personally love their La Chouffe ... coincidentally my draft cup of choice has always been the tulip glass of the same (below), but recently broke it after years of devoted use. RIP.
I NEED that glass.
You can order it from Amazon.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

investingdad wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 pmI NEED that glass.

I have a Chimay tulip glass that I use for this beer.
They sell them on Amazon (linked below) ... I got my glass while in Belgium so the nostalgia won’t be the same if I buy one haha.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2RQUCW/re ... qCbNXQMDP5
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Everyone has different tastes, but once you taste good craft beer, its nearly impossible to ever drink that commercial stuff ever again..
And I just can't understand how people tolerate PBR but too each his own!
There's also been such a boom in the industry the past 5 years its impossible to keep up anymore but here are some personal favorites

Best craft beers I've had come from New England:
Treehouse (Julius, Curiosity series, Juice machine, Green) eureka is best value/low abv
Trillium
Alchemist heady topper, focal banger
Lawsons sip of sunshine, super session
Bissel brothers - swish

Best value local brews are usually anything in the 4-6% abv range:
$1-$2 per beer

Notch - Left of the dial
night shift brewing - whirlpool ($11 4pack 16oz)
Founders - All Day IPA
Treehouse eureka
Light weight baby!