Tax Deduction carry forward - May or Must?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
auntie

Tax Deduction carry forward - May or Must?

Post by auntie »

I have 2 related questions, the first is only for future reference but the second is something I need to know for filing my 2022 taxes.

1) If you have a lot of capital losses that you can't use this year, you can use them in future years to apply against capital gains and the excess at $3,000 per year against regular income. But what if your income the next year is so low that you already don't have to pay income tax? Are you required to use them up anyhow? And if your income is so low that you don't even need to file, what happens then? Does it make a difference if you do or don't have capital gains?

2) I purchased a new car in 2022 that qualifies for a tax rebate, but it isn't a refundable amount. I need to have a tax due for it to subtract from. However, I have a very large carried forward charitable donation that will cut down or eliminate my tax due. Am I required to use up the donation this year and miss my rebate? Or can I decide how much of it I want to claim so that I wind up with a full rebate and no tax due and I can use the remaining deductions in following years?

2a) In a related note, I also have some charitable deductions for donations I made in 2022. I'm assuming I have to claim them this year or lose them forever. Right?

Thank you for any expert advice. I hope I explained my situation clearly.
High risk does not equal high reward. It equals high risk of no reward.
FiveK

Re: Tax Deduction carry forward - May or Must?

Post by FiveK »

1) See p. D-11 in https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf for the 2021->2022 carryover, and Worksheet 4-1. Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet for the 2022->2023 carryover.

2) & 2a) Not familiar with carry forward charitable donations, but Publication 526 (2022), Charitable Contributions | Internal Revenue Service probably has the answer. Good luck!
Topic Author
auntie

Post by auntie »

Thank you, but I have spent hours studying both those documents and I can't find the answers there. That's why I came here, hoping someone could help.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

What do you get when you fill out the worksheets for #1?
Topic Author
auntie

Post by auntie »

If I were to fill it out it would tell me the amount I can carry forward. But that isn't my question.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

For capital loss carryovers there is no option: you must use them, or not, based on the worksheets cited.

For charitable deduction carryovers, it appears you get some choice. For example, there is the following wording in Pub. 526:
Special rules exist for computing carryovers if you...Claim the standard deduction in a carryover year...Because of their complexity and the limited number of taxpayers to whom these additional rules apply, they aren't discussed in this publication.
Thus, don't feel bad that you were unable to find the answer in that publication. With any luck someone with experience there will post.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

26 CFR § 1.170A-10 - Charitable contributions carryovers of individuals appears to address that issue. Unfortunately my Universal Translator is on the fritz so I'm currently unable to render that in comprehensible form. :(
Topic Author
auntie

Post by auntie »

That's a good find. I thought at first it might answer my question if I could figure it out. Then I noticed it pertained to 1970 rules, so probably wouldn't still be correct.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:38 pm I have 2 related questions, the first is only for future reference but the second is something I need to know for filing my 2022 taxes.

1) If you have a lot of capital losses that you can't use this year, you can use them in future years to apply against capital gains and the excess at $3,000 per year against regular income. But what if your income the next year is so low that you already don't have to pay income tax? Are you required to use them up anyhow? And if your income is so low that you don't even need to file, what happens then? Does it make a difference if you do or don't have capital gains?

2) I purchased a new car in 2022 that qualifies for a tax rebate, but it isn't a refundable amount. I need to have a tax due for it to subtract from. However, I have a very large carried forward charitable donation that will cut down or eliminate my tax due. Am I required to use up the donation this year and miss my rebate? Or can I decide how much of it I want to claim so that I wind up with a full rebate and no tax due and I can use the remaining deductions in following years?

2a) In a related note, I also have some charitable deductions for donations I made in 2022. I'm assuming I have to claim them this year or lose them forever. Right?

Thank you for any expert advice. I hope I explained my situation clearly.
1. You subtract $3,000 from your carryover even if you can't use it that year.

2. The charitable contribution carryover rules appear to only apply to contributions in excess of the annual limit.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

toddthebod wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:41 pm 1. You subtract $3,000 from your carryover even if you can't use it that year.
Not necessarily. If income is low enough, the carryover remains as is from year to year. See the worksheets for details.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:27 pm That's a good find. I thought at first it might answer my question if I could figure it out. Then I noticed it pertained to 1970 rules, so probably wouldn't still be correct.
The examples use 1970 and 1971, but AFAIK the law itself remains as written. E.g., see 26 CFR § 1.170A-10 - Charitable contributions carryovers of individuals. - Content Details - CFR-2014-title26-vol3-sec1-170A-10.

That still leaves the issue of deciphering it....
Topic Author
auntie

Post by auntie »

OK, I'll get to work deciphering it. This may take some time. Thanks.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:58 pm OK, I'll get to work deciphering it. This may take some time. Thanks.
Just mock it up using this year's tax software with next year's numbers.
Topic Author
auntie

Post by auntie »

My head is spinning and my eyes are glazed over. Just when I think I have found the answer I see something that tells me no. I'll leave it for today and study it some more tomorrow. What a way to spend my 78th birthday.
Topic Author
auntie

Post by auntie »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:02 pm
auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:58 pm OK, I'll get to work deciphering it. This may take some time. Thanks.
I don't use tax software. Maybe I should.
AE81

Post by AE81 »

auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:32 pm My head is spinning and my eyes are glazed over. Just when I think I have found the answer I see something that tells me no. I'll leave it for today and study it some more tomorrow. What a way to spend my 78th birthday.
Happy birthday auntie!
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:33 pm
Quite useful to answer such hypotheticals
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:06 pm
Tax software can be useful to check most common tax law situations. Whether any of the usual suspects would cover things of which the IRS itself says, "Because of their complexity and the limited number of taxpayers to whom these additional rules apply, they aren't discussed in this publication" is less clear.

Definitely would be nice if it does....
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

FiveK wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:17 pm
Tax software can be useful to check most common tax law situations. Whether any of the usual suspects would cover things of which the IRS itself says, "Because of their complexity and the limited number of taxpayers to whom these additional rules apply, they aren't discussed in this publication" is less clear.

It handles this one.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:01 am
FiveK wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:17 pm

It handles this one.
I'm sure auntie would appreciate details.

Post by 8301 »

auntie wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:32 pm My head is spinning and my eyes are glazed over. Just when I think I have found the answer I see something that tells me no. I'll leave it for today and study it some more tomorrow. What a way to spend my 78th birthday.
This is why we pay big bucks to lawyers.