Anyone Opted out of Paying Union Dues (SIEU 925)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Anyone Opted out of Paying Union Dues (SIEU 925)?

Post by ruanddu »

I am considering dropping out or reducing paying my SIEU 925 union dues for reasons I probably shouldn't discuss on this page (political in nature). Located in WA state. Wondering if others have done so and what protections are still in place as an employee? I have been reading up via optouttoday website and others but wanted to hopefully get some real world advice from those that might have already done so.

Thank you.
Jeepergeo

Re: Anyone Opted out of Paying Union Dues (SIEU 925)?

Post by Jeepergeo »

A client of mine dropped her representation, and she had been a local union leader. It surprised me that she dropped the union.

She relayed that the pushback and harassment started immediatly and came from multiple directions. It was often subtle, but constant from so many angles. Ultimately, she resigned to end it.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Motostash

Post by Motostash »

Yes, I have. You will have the same protections that any non-union employee in your state has. Worried about getting sued? I've been operating under the understanding that most of the time that parents sue, they sue the district. As long as you don't engage in any gross negligence or misconduct, I'd forget about it. Maybe that's riskier than I think it is.
Danw

Post by Danw »

I'm OK with people opting out of union membership, if they forgo the salary and benefits the union negotiates and negotiate for themselves on their own.
horste

Post by horste »

I have not. I consider the dues to be buying a service, the contract which is negotiated. For the cost, I receive excellent benefits in comparison to my private sector cohort.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i think it's SEIU 925, not SIEU 925.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post (other people). This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Non-actionable or Trolling Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.