Any Bogle-esque books geared toward teens?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

delamer

Re: Any Bogle-esque books geared toward teens?

Post by delamer »

Try this short but informative write-up by Bill Bernstein: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

I always though Alan Roth's "how a second grader beats wall street" was an easy and understandable read for kids to understand.
martincmartin

Post by martincmartin »

delamer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:15 am Try this short but informative write-up by Bill Bernstein: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
Although Bill Bernstein is a great author, and targeted this at "young people", I don't think he succeeded. I think it's generally too involved even for the typical 20-something, let alone a teen.

What's the teen's interest and background? Does the teen have money from a job that they're looking to invest? Or have the read about r/wallstreetbets and the GameStop saga and bitcoin? Are they the type to actually read books?

Something aimed at the most popular level, easiest to read, might be best. Something like "Where are the Customers' Yachts?" or "A Random Walk Down Wall Street". I haven't read either, so can't vouch for how easy they are to read, or how engaging.

I can't get my kids to read books for love or money, but they'll listen to audio books on long drives. Both those books have audio book versions.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

martincmartin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:32 am
delamer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:15 am Try this short but informative write-up by Bill Bernstein: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
Although Bill Bernstein is a great author, and targeted this at "young people", I don't think he succeeded. I think it's generally too involved even for the typical 20-something, let alone a teen.
Agreed. I personally enjoyed the pdf, but when thinking of my niece and nephew (late teens) it is way too involved and dry to keep their attention I am guessing
vkat

Post by vkat »

Hi,
I recommend "Quit Like a Millionaire ". The authors also write children's books. I really enjoyed her simplistic style and she talks about her childhood and college decision making process. I had my 10 year old ready a few pages to make connections and she found her funny. The later chapters in the book are geared towards investing, maybe you can read it and guide your teenager on the relevant chapters. I also liked " Die with Zero". I liked how the author gets across the message of risk taking and valuing experiences in different phases of life. I know the titles are negative but they are good reads. Perhaps you should look for books that are providing boglehead values you want to impart to your teenager. Not all authors will have all the boglehead values.
MTWoodpile

Post by MTWoodpile »

Yes!

Taylor's "The Bogelheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio".

In hardback form it is portable, easy to read, nutrient dense, and relatively brief - all things teens these days need.

Seriously.
delamer

Post by delamer »

What's the teen's interest and background? Does the teen have money from a job that they're looking to invest? Or have the read about r/wallstreetbets and the GameStop saga and bitcoin? Are they the type to actually read books?

Something aimed at the most popular level, easiest to read, might be best. Something like "Where are the Customers' Yachts?" or "A Random Walk Down Wall Street". I haven't read either, so can't vouch for how easy they are to read, or how engaging.

I can't get my kids to read books for love or money, but they'll listen to audio books on long drives. Both those books have audio book versions.
So you recommend two full-fledged books will take hours to read or listen to that you have not actually read. Versus a 16-page document that can be read in 30 minutes?

For a teenager?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
martincmartin

Post by martincmartin »

delamer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:06 pm So you recommend two full-fledged books will take hours to read or listen to that you have not actually read.
Nope. I just suggested OP evaluate them -- read reviews, look at a sample, web search book title plus "for teen", that sort of thing. I can't recommend them since, as you say, I haven't actually read them.
For a teenager?
OP asked for books for a teenager.
kaesler

Post by kaesler »

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:28 pm
Agreed. I personally enjoyed the pdf, but when thinking of my niece and nephew (late teens) it is way too involved and dry to keep their attention I am guessing
Also agree. Much too long, larded with unnecessary detail and explanations. It is written for Bogleheads, not the young and unconverted. I don't think anyone has really written the book you seek.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Luke Duke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 am Any Bogle-esque books geared toward teens?
ask them if they'd rather have A Penny That Doubles Each Day For A Month Or $1 Million?

then have them read the link above which shows them the answer to that problem and also provides them with The Grain of Rice Fable. If they don't get the importance of compounding interest after reading that article, they're not ready yet to learn about the power of investing.

Then ask them again when they're older and ready.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
OSUperu

Post by OSUperu »

Simple read, but more importantly broken out in small approachable bites.
kaesler

Post by kaesler »

OSUperu wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:56 pm
Simple read, but more importantly broken out in small approachable bites.
My teenager liked it. It evolved from content written for the author’s teenage daughter. 12,000+ reviews on Amazon.