Coffee bean suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Coffee bean suggestions?

Post by MrWasabi65 »

I'm stationary for awhile in a new place and just bought a french press.

I've been drinking at coffee shops and want to try my hand here - I am not a coffee snob but prefer coffees that are smooth, not too dark or strong or acidic, not too light or weak. I tend to seek out coffees that are listed with notes of caramel, brown sugar, etc.

Can you suggest one you've purchased in a store or online that would fit this profile?

Thank you.
homebuyer6426

Re: Coffee bean suggestions?

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I am not a coffee aficionado but I find Colombian coffees smoother and milder than others I have tried.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.costco.com/mother-earth-org ... 20592.html
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
Total weight: 4 lbs.
USDA Organic Certified
Received a 91-point score from Coffee Review in 2016
100% Arabica specialty coffee beans
Process: Washed, sun-dried
Medium Roast
Whole bean
Region: Central and South American

Flavor Profile:

Medium, well-balanced body
Smooth, nutty flavor and bright finish"

From Costco, shipped directly from the Roaster. I had tasted 100+ coffees. This is one of the best.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I've found that there is a lot of variability in the taste from beans we have purchased. The descriptions typically don't help me much. The most successful approach we have had was to buy a variety of roasts and origins from several roasters and try them.

Edit: and like wine, one persons taste may well not be your taste. My nephew, for example is a super taster. He can discriminate things that I can't.

I often take the "rejects" and blend them into a single blend. Most of the rejects aren't "bad tasting" per se but just not our first choice.

Many roasters are now selling 12oz bags instead of 16oz bags so the leftovers aren't as much as they once was.

Try to order directly from the roaster. I've found that third parties (AMZ and others) tend to have older beans on hand.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Freshness is key. Before I got sick, we knew what day all the local roasters roasted, and bought our beans then. The ideal is to use the coffee five days after roasting.

Since I got sick, we’ve had a subscription from Stumptown, which we’re going to keep even though I’m well enough to go out again. The price is very reasonable for the quality, and they ship the same day they roast, so it is always very nice coffee. There’s a phone number on their website. No doubt you could call and a tell them your preferences, and they could guide you about which of their beans would work the best.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 am Freshness is key. Before I got sick, we knew what day all the local roasters roasted, and bought our beans then. The ideal is to use the coffee five days after roasting.

Since I got sick, we’ve had a subscription from Stumptown, which we’re going to keep even though I’m well enough to go out again. The price is very reasonable for the quality, and they ship the same day they roast, so it is always very nice coffee. There’s a phone number on their website. No doubt you could call and a tell them your preferences, and they could guide you about which of their beans would work the best.
When I lived in Milwaukee I lived about a mile from a small roaster. We also knew when they roasted what beans and could stop by at the right time.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I use sweetbloom.com - not cheap but great coffee beans - I buy the 5lb bag to save a few bucks. Award winning coffee roaster.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:49 am ... not too dark or strong or acidic, not too light or weak...
Just wanted to point out that strong / weak are often mixed up with roast levels:

Strong / Weak typically refers to the amount of coffee to water ratio
Dark / Light typically refers to the roast level

So you can have strong light coffee and weak dark coffee.

Also, I believe light roasts are typically more acidic.

You could try a sample pack of a couple varieties and see if you can tell a difference. I'm sure you could between a light and french roast, but may be tougher comparing 3 medium roasts -- especially if you add anything to your coffee.

Enjoy your french press!
Afty

Post by Afty »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 am https://www.costco.com/mother-earth-org ... 20592.html
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

From Costco, shipped directly from the Roaster. I had tasted 100+ coffees. This is one of the best.

KlangFool
+1. I bought this coffee based on KlangFool's recommendation in another thread. I really like it!
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Vilar imports on eBay has been great for me. They roast the coffee the day after you place the order and ship it via USPS. Reaches me in CA within 2-3 days at peak freshness. I believe they have a physical store as well in NJ.

They have coffee beans from popular origin countries including Ethiopia, Rwanda, Kenya, Columbia, Brazil, Indonesia, etc. I usually buy 2 Lbs at a time so shipping is free. I love the lightly roasted African coffees, with Kenyan being my favorite so far. I also recommend trying Ethiopian Yirgacheffe if you haven't tried it before. I've nearly tried all the single origins they sell in the past 2+ years, and their light roasts are great with espresso consistently.

Relatively inexpensive compared to nearly all other places, and consistently good quality. I use it for espresso.

rhoadsroast-coffees.com is another good NJ based company I have found that is only slightly more expensive but have a few more varieties of coffees. Similar to Vilar, they roast it when you place the order and ship you 2-2.5 Lbs bags without any additional shipping fees.
Last edited by fetch5482 on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 am https://www.costco.com/mother-earth-org ... 20592.html
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool
I will definitely try that - my coffee is awesome - but really expensive - when I retire - I'll need something more economic. Perhaps I'll join Costco - so far I haven't seen the draw of it. This could be the spark I need.
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

fetch5482 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:38 am Vilar imports on eBay has been great for me. They roast the coffee the day after you place the order and ship it via USPS. Reaches me in CA within 2-3 days at peak freshness. I believe they have a physical store as well in NJ.

They have coffee beans from popular origin countries including Ethiopia, Rwanda, Kenya, Columbia, Brazil, Indonesia, etc. I usually buy 2 Lbs at a time so shipping is free. I love the lightly roasted African coffees, with Kenyan being my favorite so far. I also recommend trying Ethiopian Yirgacheffe if you haven't tried it before. I've nearly tried all the single origins they sell in the past 2+ years, and their light roasts are great with espresso consistently.

Relatively inexpensive compared to nearly all other places, and consistently good quality. I use it for espresso.

rhoadsroast-coffees.com is another good NJ based company I have found that is only slightly more expensive but have a few more varieties of coffees. Similar to Vilar, they roast it when you place the order and ship you 2-2.5 Lbs bags without any additional shipping fees.
+1 on Vilar -- I have been doing green beans with him for over a year and has been great.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Afty wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 am
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool
+1. I bought this coffee based on KlangFool's recommendation in another thread. I really like it!
Wondering if you can comment on how long it takes to go through four pounds of beans. Does the coffee stay fresh for that long? I like Costco prices but balk at the quantity. I’m the only drinker in our household. Right now I go with the 13 oz tins from Trader Joe’s, lasts me around a couple of weeks.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I go through 5lbs in @ 6 - 7 weeks grinding 60grams per 1 liter a day. Always tastes awesome I keep it in a dark cupboard.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

+1 for emphasizing freshness of roast! I think the five-day recommendation is a little much -- as long as you're drinking most of the coffee within a month of being roasted, you're still within the "sweet spot." A trick I use to tell when my coffee is stale: if you grind your beans and barely saturate them with water, you want to see some obvious bubbling. This bubbling is CO2 being released from the beans, and it's a sign of freshness -- in stale coffee, most of the CO2 has already had time to dissipate passively.

I always recommend trying smaller bags from local roasters to see what you like, but if you're interested in buying in bulk online, I highly recommend Happy Mug Coffee. They're based in PA with flat $3 shipping to anywhere in the country, and they roast to order. They offer everything from flavored dark-roast coffees to high-end single-origin light roasts. A 2-lb. bag of their highest-end coffee is only $28 including shipping, which is affordable enough to try something new. (And no, they don't sponsor me! :D I've just used Happy Mug as my sole bean supplier for the past two years and have been very happy with their prices and quality.)
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

dannyboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm +1 for emphasizing freshness of roast! I think the five-day recommendation is a little much -- as long as you're drinking most of the coffee within a month of being roasted, you're still within the "sweet spot."
Agree. But if you find yourself not being able to consume coffee within a month, you can deep freeze it so long as you do it correctly . Watch https://youtu.be/5uT5_IWWb00 to see a good way to store, freeze and unfreeze the beans before using. I freeze batches of 200 grams in mason jars so I can consume them within a week or so of removing from the freezer.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

rebellovw wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:43 am
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool
I will definitely try that - my coffee is awesome - but really expensive - when I retire - I'll need something more economic. Perhaps I'll join Costco - so far I haven't seen the draw of it. This could be the spark I need.
I just ordered some Costco coffee that I would say is decent but not great. I don't want to stir the pot as I know Costco has a cult like following but I'm not really a fan. I dread going there because it's always super crowded and takes a while to find everything. So instead I order online and they tend to mark up their online prices about 20% (and a shopper / driver tip) so it doesn't equal much of a savings if any. Plus storing all the bulk items takes up extra space and I probably waste more from buying in bulk.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

There are so many small coffee roasters making outstanding product that your question is tough to answer. I suggest you just start trying some. I'm familiar with a lot of them in the northern Midwest and could give you a list like Colectivo, Groundswell, Madcap, Glassworks, Dark Matter, Wonderstate, Great Lakes, Higher Grounds, Intelligentsia. Some are now owned by larger companies with national distribution. There are tons more. Most run $15-20 for 12 oz.

My best advice is probably to buy a burr grinder unless you already have one. Makes a massive difference.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I'm a fan of Black and White Roasters in NC, but be aware that some of their coffee is out there. Way out there.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool
I rotate several Costco "Kirkland" whole bean offerings, including Sumatran, Costa Rican, Rwandan, Guatemalan. And occasionally whole bean choices of San Francisco Bay, also from Costco. Always enjoyable.

Currently enjoying Sumatran whole bean, next up Rwandan.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Trader Joe's "Organic Fair Trade Breakfast Blend". It's a medium roast. It's mellow and smooth, just like the can says on it. :) Descriptive block of text says "sweet caramel notes and floral overtones".

$10 / 14oz. Not cheap, but better than $5 a serving.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:15 pm
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool
I rotate several Costco "Kirkland" whole bean offerings, including Sumatran, Costa Rican, Rwandan, Guatemalan. And occasionally whole bean choices of San Francisco Bay, also from Costco. Always enjoyable.

Broken Man 1999
You should try the Mother Earth coffee. I had tasted all those other coffee and I home roast green coffee beans.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

dannyboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm I think the five-day recommendation is a little much
You may be right. But I think the taste is so subjective. I have been roasting my coffee now for about 3 years. For my taste, optimal time is about 9-10 days after the roast. That is when I get the taste that I prefer.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

Currently doing a coffee subscription with Go Get 'Em Tiger and have been happy with it for a few years now. I get a different bag of beans every two weeks and have only received one bag I was unhappy with.

I also loved the coffee club from Ritual.

Intelligentsia is my default grocery store coffee on the rare occasion I run out of beans at home. I prefer their El Gallo blend.
piper

Post by piper »

Jamaica blue mountain coffee hands down. Not cheap but if your ever interested in roasting your own beans it helps with the cost.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:29 pm
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool

Broken Man 1999
You should try the Mother Earth coffee. I had tasted all those other coffee and I home roast green coffee beans.

KlangFool
You recommended that coffee a few months ago. I bought some; it just wasn't my cup of tea coffee. Eh, everyone has their own preferences.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

KlangFool
Fascinating. I never knew you could order coffee beans through Costco but get it shipped directly from the roaster. Sounds like a terrific combo for a boglehead consumer.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 pm
KlangFool wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:29 pm
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool

Broken Man 1999

KlangFool
You recommended that coffee a few months ago. I bought some; it just wasn't my cup of tea coffee. Eh, everyone has their own preferences.

Broken Man 1999
Okay. You tried.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

jayjayc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:07 pm

KlangFool
Fascinating. I never knew you could order coffee beans through Costco but get it shipped directly from the roaster. Sounds like a terrific combo for a boglehead consumer.
Not all coffee from Costco is like that. It happened to be true for this coffee roaster.

KlangFool
Dornhoefer

Post by Dornhoefer »

Coffee I've made at home that might meet your description: (1) Tesora by Philz, described by Philz as a medium roast containing notes of caramel and brown spice; (2) Philtered Soul by Philz, another medium roast with notes of caramel; and (3) Veranda Blend by Starbucks, a light roast. All three available at our local supermarket (Pavilions), Philz typically for about $15-16/pound and Veranda Blend for under $10 when on sale (fairly often).

On another coffee post, someone recommended watching James Hoffmann's video, "Best USA Grocery Store Coffee." You can find it on Youtube. I found it informative, funny, and a good source of ideas for new coffees to try. I see he also has a video titled, "Ultimate French Press Technique," although I haven't watched it.
Hayward

Post by Hayward »

You might want to pose the question over on home-barista.com, but I would suggest you look at the offerings from https://barringtoncoffee.com and https://georgehowellcoffee.com.

Barrington Gold makes a wonderful espresso, and would probably also work well in a French press. Both companies do an excellent Vienna roast that might be exactly what you are seeking. Barrington's Guatemalan coffees are also particularly nice.

George Howell rarely offers natural processed coffees, but if you feel like experimenting, check out the Daterra Sundrop from Brazil. I recently enjoyed a bag and will be picking up some more.

Similarly, you might want to try the Indian coffees offered by Barrington, particularly the Monsooned Malabar.

Klatch and Counter Culture also have some fine coffees. I've tried them in the past, but prefer to buy from roasters closer to me.

A company I worked for had a Mistobox subscription that was fun.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Dornhoefer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:14 pm On another coffee post, someone recommended watching James Hoffmann's video, "Best USA Grocery Store Coffee." You can find it on Youtube. I found it informative, funny, and a good source of ideas for new coffees to try. I see he also has a video titled, "Ultimate French Press Technique," although I haven't watched it.
I find James Hoffmann video's very informative, but be forewarned that he is extremely nit-picky about minor flaws in cheaper machines. Price vs ease-of-use tradeoffs are real in the world of coffee, so reviewing $500 machines and expecting $2,000 machine like functionality is.... a bit unfair.
You will see similar patterns in the grocery store coffee video and several other where he frowns on cheap things because they are not same as a product 4-5x its price.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

alpenglow wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:52 pm I'm a fan of Black and White Roasters in NC, but be aware that some of their coffee is out there. Way out there.
+1

Black and White is amazing. Their tasting notes are always spot-on too, sometimes hilariously so. If it says it tastes like pixy sticks, they're not kidding.
Afty

Post by Afty »

d0gerz wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:34 pm
Afty wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 am
"Product Details

2-pack
2 lb. bag
USDA Organic Certified
Medium Roast
Whole bean

Flavor Profile:

KlangFool
Wondering if you can comment on how long it takes to go through four pounds of beans. Does the coffee stay fresh for that long? I like Costco prices but balk at the quantity. I’m the only drinker in our household. Right now I go with the 13 oz tins from Trader Joe’s, lasts me around a couple of weeks.
My wife and I drink a fair amount of cold brew in addition to drip coffee. The cold brew uses a lot of beans, so it’s not a problem for us to get through the two bags.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Whatever you do, use a paper filter.

In my opinion the best coffee is from a chemex pour over coffee maker.

Whole beans -> grind -> drip coffee maker -> good
Whole beans -> grind -> chemex -> incredible

The same exact beans result in a totally different product. I buy whole beans from Costco and store them in the freezer.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Yagni

Post by Yagni »

When we bought our espresso machine and switched off of drip, we subscribed to Trade Coffee (https://www.drinktrade.com/) which helped us learn our flavor profiles as well as what we could dial in well on the machine.

We tend to rotate between
- https://www.drinktrade.com/blackstrap-espresso/p/101
- https://www.drinktrade.com/late-night/p/3122

We order those direct from the roasters now.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

Our setup at home includes a Technivorum with metal carafe and a Baratza Virtuoso set to grind between 9-11.

We buy our beans locally (mostly roasters in the NYC to Philly metro). Coffee is best consumed within a month of roasting. We consume approximately 12oz bag per week. I suggest sampling beans from your local coffee shops and purchasing bags from your nearest Whole Foods. WF stocks coffee from the largest regional roasters and depending on their size, have reasonable turnover for freshness.

Direct order is another option but usually more $$$. I've had good experiences with both Stumptown and La Colombe. We enjoy Holler Mountain and Evergreen (seasonal) from Stumptown and Afrique from La Colombe.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 am Freshness is key. Before I got sick, we knew what day all the local roasters roasted, and bought our beans then. The ideal is to use the coffee five days after roasting.

Agree. Find your closest couple local roasters and buy some of their freshest beans to your spec. They can help you select a bean.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

fetch5482 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:09 pm
dannyboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm +1 for emphasizing freshness of roast! I think the five-day recommendation is a little much -- as long as you're drinking most of the coffee within a month of being roasted, you're still within the "sweet spot."
Agree. But if you find yourself not being able to consume coffee within a month, you can deep freeze it so long as you do it correctly . Watch https://youtu.be/5uT5_IWWb00 to see a good way to store, freeze and unfreeze the beans before using. I freeze batches of 200 grams in mason jars so I can consume them within a week or so of removing from the freezer.
Great point! I do the same thing, freezing in batches as soon as I get the beans to "lock in freshness." I am probably not a sufficiently sophisticated consumer to warrant that level of attention, but it's never stopped me before. :D
Theseus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:36 pm
dannyboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm I think the five-day recommendation is a little much
You may be right. But I think the taste is so subjective. I have been roasting my coffee now for about 3 years. For my taste, optimal time is about 9-10 days after the roast. That is when I get the taste that I prefer.
Very true. Nothing wrong with preferring coffee that's <10 days off-roast! I just don't want someone to think that 10- to 30-day old coffee is necessarily stale.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I've noticed zero difference with our Sweetbloom.com coffee being first day - to last day (just under 40 days) - it always tastes great/smells wonderful. I just wish I could find something cheaper.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Actually, I agree with you, if you take me completely literally. I don’t think anyone could drink an entire 12 oz bag of coffee in a single day. But day 5 seems to be about the peak day, and even properly stored, a couple of weeks after that, it’s noticeably stale.
ktdintex

Post by ktdintex »

There are many, many excellent roasters out there, as others have said. The two main things are () get freshly roaster beans from a roaster who puts the roast date on the bag and (2) use a good grinder, something that costs at least $100. From there, it’s a matter of experimenting with the type of coffee you like.

I encourage you to try lighter roast coffee. Char-bucks (aka Starbucks) and other coffee chains have trained the masses to drink dark roasted coffee, which is largely terrible for coffee (fine for espresso). After trying some good light and medium roast coffee, dark roasted coffee tastes horrible to me. But again, dark roast works well for espresso.

Two roasters to check out are Passenger and Verve.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:49 am I'm stationary for awhile in a new place and just bought a french press.

I've been drinking at coffee shops and want to try my hand here - I am not a coffee snob but prefer coffees that are smooth, not too dark or strong or acidic, not too light or weak. I tend to seek out coffees that are listed with notes of caramel, brown sugar, etc.

Can you suggest one you've purchased in a store or online that would fit this profile?

Thank you.
So many coffee threads over the years. We've tried so many different sources at all the price points.

Are you near a Trader Joe's? This is our current daily cup, but we do whole bean

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/product ... fee-056332

It's $4.99 for 14 oz.

We've had better, but much that's not up to this for our tastes.

Or as other suggest try some costco offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Royal-Cof ... 121&sr=8-2

except we got it at Costco for $21.49 for 2.5 lbs, so under $10/lb there.

We've eaten at various Roy's many times and always had good meals, good service and good times.

We generally would not have bought the Roy's 10% Kona (and don't generally get the Kona hype), and this is only 10% Kona and ground, but some renters left a small bag at our condo. We really liked it and bought more.
deikel

Post by deikel »

Peet's Coffee does it for us just fine - plenty to choose from to find your favorite
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

ktdintex wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:55 pm Char-bucks (aka Starbucks) and other coffee chains have trained the masses to drink dark roasted coffee, which is largely terrible for coffee (fine for espresso)....But again, dark roast works well for espresso.
Espresso nerd here. It's a misconception that dark roast is somehow related to espresso, likely because some grocery store brands started labelling their burnt beans as "espresso roast."

Any type of roast can be used for espresso and many of us prefer lighter roasts. A properly made shot with good beans will not taste charred or bitter. If anything, you need higher quality beans to pull off a good espresso, which can be very finicky, than a regular cup of coffee.
ktdintex

Post by ktdintex »

caffeperfavore wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:33 pm
ktdintex wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:55 pm Char-bucks (aka Starbucks) and other coffee chains have trained the masses to drink dark roasted coffee, which is largely terrible for coffee (fine for espresso)....But again, dark roast works well for espresso.
Espresso nerd here. It's a misconception that dark roast is somehow related to espresso, likely because some grocery store brands started labelling their burnt beans as "espresso roast."

Any type of roast can be used for espresso and many of us prefer lighter roasts. A properly made shot with good beans will not taste charred or bitter. If anything, you need higher quality beans to pull off a good espresso, which can be very finicky, than a regular cup of coffee.
Totally agree, and I’m also an espresso nerd. I wasn’t saying that dark roast is the only coffee to use for espresso. As you said, any kind of bean can be used. My main point was that dark roast, to me, does not make for good coffee (drip coffee, French press, etc.).

Some coffee roasters have dark-ER coffee that I do like, but it’s because they don’t burn their beans like Starbucks does. Hence why I call them Char-Bucks.
twh

Post by twh »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:49 am I'm stationary for awhile in a new place and just bought a french press.

Thank you.
If you are in a city of any size, there is a local roaster. It might be a dedicated roaster or it might be a coffee shop with a roaster. Find them or a shop that sells them and try the all.
Badinvestor

Post by Badinvestor »

deikel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:01 pm Peet's Coffee does it for us just fine - plenty to choose from to find your favorite
+1

I should add: a) I don't agree with the put-down "Char-bucks," b) at Trader's Colombia Supremo and Bolivian are OK, but I don't find Joe's Joe worth buying. Tastes obviously vary a lot.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

illy coffee good - very smooth
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

deikel wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:01 pm Peet's Coffee does it for us just fine - plenty to choose from to find your favorite
Peet's Major Dickason's beans are on sale at Costco for $11.99 for two pounds. I'll get there tomorrow - think the sale is through Sunday.