CP14 (notice of unpaid taxes) but I'm in a disaster area with October due date

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ssel

CP14 (notice of unpaid taxes) but I'm in a disaster area with October due date

Post by ssel »

I filed my 2022 individual tax return on time, but still owe payment. I'm in California, most of which has had the tax filing and payment deadlines extended to October 16 this year. The IRS has indicated that affected taxpayers need not make any explicit request to make use of the extension, as long as the address on their return shows (as mine does) that they're in a disaster area covered by the extension.

I just received an IRS CP14 notice stating (correctly) how much I owe. But it ignores the disaster area extension when it goes on to tell me that my payment is late and must be made by June 26 to avoid additional penalties.

So obviously whatever system generated this notice hasn't been updated to understand the disaster relief granted by the IRS this year. The question is: What should I do about it? Just ignore it? There's no dedicated phone number to call or address to write to, and I believe from past experience that calling the general IRS help line would take a lot of time and would be unlikely to be of any use.

Roughly 10% of all individual tax returns filed in the United States each year are from California. I don't know how many of those owe money, but it must still make up a non-negligible percentage of the entire US population. Has the IRS been sending out that many bogus CP14 notices? Or just to me? :-)
adududududu

Re: CP14 (notice of unpaid taxes) but I'm in a disaster area with October due date

Post by adududududu »

I received the notice and I'm in California too.
nonnie

Re: CP14 (notice of unpaid taxes) but I'm in a disaster area with October due date

Post by nonnie »

I just did a quick Google search and stopped as soon as I found a phone number-see below

"If an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date that falls within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the telephone number on the notice to have the IRS abate the penalty.

The IRS automatically identifies taxpayers located in the covered disaster area and applies filing and payment relief. But affected taxpayers who reside or have a business located outside the covered disaster area should call the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227 to request this tax relief."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announ ... california
Topic Author
ssel

Post by ssel »

Your google-foo is better than mine today. Thanks, I'll call that number.

But, still...
My mailing address clearly shows I'm in a covered disaster area. So if they couldn't get my due date right, will they do any better with, let's say, any of my eight million closest neighbors?
yanmeng0726

Post by yanmeng0726 »

having the same issue. . . not sure what I should do . .. any update would be appreciated
Last edited by yanmeng0726 on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

yanmeng0726 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:35 am having the same issue. . . not sure what I should do . .. any update would be appreciated
Call the number.
ducksauce9

Received IRS notice - thought CA resident deadline was October

Post by ducksauce9 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I filed my FY2022 federal income tax return in April, but I was planning to wait until October to pay the amount I owe because I am in a California county which had the deadline extended until October. However, I received an IRS notice saying I have until late June to pay the amount I owe. Any advice on whether the notice is accurate or whether I can ignore it because the deadline has been extended? Thank you.
BogleTaxPro

Re: Received IRS notice - thought CA resident deadline was October

Post by BogleTaxPro »

ducksauce9 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:17 am I filed my FY2022 federal income tax return in April, but I was planning to wait until October to pay the amount I owe because I am in a California county which had the deadline extended until October. However, I received an IRS notice saying I have until late June to pay the amount I owe. Any advice on whether the notice is accurate or whether I can ignore it because the deadline has been extended? Thank you.
Already being discussed in viewtopic.php?p=7299443#p7299443
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged ducksauce9's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

nonnie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:48 pm I just did a quick Google search and stopped as soon as I found a phone number-see below

"If an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date that falls within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the telephone number on the notice to have the IRS abate the penalty.

The IRS automatically identifies taxpayers located in the covered disaster area and applies filing and payment relief. But affected taxpayers who reside or have a business located outside the covered disaster area should call the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227 to request this tax relief."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announ ... california
Don't call that phone number if you're actually in a covered disaster area, though. All those people just call the number on the notice you got in the mail.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
dual

Post by dual »

I also received the notice. The notice mysteriously says
The IRS announced that taxpayers in your area may qualify for administrative disaster tax relief. Administrative disaster tax relief generally includes postponement of most filing and payment deadlines. If your IRS address of record is in the covered disaster area listed in the news release you will automatically receive administrative disaster tax relief.
So if “relief” will be automatic, why are they sending me a dunning letter?

The notice gives a general IRS telephone number, 833-678-7020

Question:
has anyone called that number?
If they said you do not have to pay, could you get anything in writing from the IRS ?

Edit
I called at 1140 PDT. Wait time between 30 and 60 minutes. Hung up.
I estimate I will get about $50 in after tax interest on the amount owed. Not worth the hassle now and probably in the future when they screw this up. I will pay now.
Last edited by dual on Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

i'm in the same boat, posting to follow
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

dual wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:27 pm I also received the notice. The notice mysteriously says
The IRS announced that taxpayers in your area may qualify for administrative disaster tax relief. Administrative disaster tax relief generally includes postponement of most filing and payment deadlines. If your IRS address of record is in the covered disaster area listed in the news release you will automatically receive administrative disaster tax relief.
So if “relief” will be automatic, why are they sending me a dunning letter?
How much do you want to bet that every single taxpayer in California who has not yet paid their taxes received the letter?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Topic Author
ssel

Post by ssel »

Maybe it's only taxpayers who both filed early (I mean before now) and also owe money. I certainly wouldn't bet against that. If someone got the notice even without filing early, let us know.

I also wouldn't be surprised to read a news article a week from now telling us how the IRS sent all these erroneous notices, and they realize it, and that we should just ignore them. But until then, it's hard to ignore.

Right now I'm on hold for the -7020 phone number (from the "Help" section of the notice). 2 hours and counting. Thankfully it's actually my phone's Google Assistant that's on hold. Crossing my fingers that it works, but it's not worth spending that much of my actual life listening to their hold music.
mapham

Post by mapham »

I'm from one of the affected counties in California and got the same CP-14 letter from IRS.

I called the main number 800-829-1040 and was transferred multiple times until got disconnected randomly. Those folks said the "right" department need to put some note on my account.

Called the number 833-678-7020 that's listed on the letter. Still waiting (was told 30-60 min wait time).
dual

Post by dual »

Has anyone been able to get through to the IRS about this notice?
IOException

Post by IOException »

The IRS is required to demand payment per the guidelines established in the taxpayer bill of rights. Therefore, it is standard practice for them to send this notice to you irrespective of other agreements or disaster notices.

The purpose of the CP14 is to tell you the amount due, in full. Penalties or interest will not start to accrue until after the due date and you should have gotten an attachment referring to Notice 1155-G to clarify that.

From the IRS's point of view: they payment is late. They've just decided to waive the penalties due to extenuating circumstances, which is something they do all the time. If they thought you were delinquent, then penalties and interest would have already been applied to the billing summary in the CP14. If that is the case for you, you do need to call. Otherwise, you can safely ignore.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

IOException wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:26 am The IRS is required to demand payment per the guidelines established in the taxpayer bill of rights. Therefore, it is standard practice for them to send this notice to you irrespective of other agreements or disaster notices.

The purpose of the CP14 is to tell you the amount due, in full. Penalties or interest will not start to accrue until after the due date and you should have gotten an attachment referring to Notice 1155-G to clarify that.

From the IRS's point of view: they payment is late. They've just decided to waive the penalties due to extenuating circumstances, which is something they do all the time. If they thought you were delinquent, then penalties and interest would have already been applied to the billing summary in the CP14. If that is the case for you, you do need to call. Otherwise, you can safely ignore.
Here's what the IRS says:
The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area. Therefore, taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief. However, if an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date falling within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the number on the notice to have the penalty abated.
dual

Post by dual »

toddthebod wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:36 am
The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area. Therefore, taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief. However, if an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date falling within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the number on the notice to have the penalty abated.
A link or reference for this please.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

dual wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:59 am
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-may-15 ... nd-georgia
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

dual wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:59 am
Highlight text, right click, search. Works in every browser.
IOException

Post by IOException »

As I said, you only need to call if you see a penalty applied.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Which one of you called the news?

https://www.kcra.com/article/despite-ta ... e/44112705

The answer some guy spent two days and who knows how much time on hold to get for everyone else:
"She said not to worry," he said.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Just found this. Statement from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-statem ... ue-notices
they are sent out as a legal requirement. While the notice received by taxpayers says they need to pay in 21 days, most California taxpayers have until later this year to pay under the disaster declaration. These letters include a special insert that notes the payment date listed in the letter does not apply to those covered by a disaster declaration, and the disaster dates remain in effect.
dual

Post by dual »

Thanks for the link. Wow.
The IRS apologizes to taxpayers and tax professionals for any confusion as we continue to review the situation. Taxpayers receiving these letters do not need to call the IRS or their tax professional
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

Asyouwish wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:12 am Just found this. Statement from the IRS.

they are sent out as a legal requirement. While the notice received by taxpayers says they need to pay in 21 days, most California taxpayers have until later this year to pay under the disaster declaration. These letters include a special insert that notes the payment date listed in the letter does not apply to those covered by a disaster declaration, and the disaster dates remain in effect.
Now I'm wondering if OP didn't get the special insert...
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

The response above by IOException says

“an attachment referring to Notice 1155-G to clarify that.”

Here’s the 1155 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/n1155esp.pdf but I don’t see a “G”.
krafty81

California Federal Taxes

Post by krafty81 »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

I thought we were all extended until mid-Oct for federal and state income tax. Got a letter from IRS today that said my tax payment is due 26 June. What is going on? Anyone have any insights on this?
tryhappiness

Re: California Federal Taxes

Post by tryhappiness »

For 1040? Did you file an extension? Whats the notice number?
Starbase

Post by Starbase »

krafty81 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:15 pm I thought we were all extended until mid-Oct for federal and state income tax. Got a letter from IRS today that said my tax payment is due 26 June. What is going on? Anyone have any insights on this?
Is the payment for 2023 or 2022?
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

See this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=405947
dual

Post by dual »

krafty81 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:15 pm [Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

I thought we were all extended until mid-Oct for federal and state income tax. Got a letter from IRS today that said my tax payment is due 26 June. What is going on? Anyone have any insights on this?
Repeating the link from the previous posts, here’s what the IRS says

June 7, 2023
The IRS reassures California taxpayers that they continue to have an automatic extension until later this year to file and pay their taxes for those covered by disaster declarations in the state. The current mailings being received by some taxpayers, the IRS Notice CP14, are for taxpayers who have a balance due, and they are sent out as a legal requirement. While the notice received by taxpayers says they need to pay in 21 days, most California taxpayers have until later this year to pay under the disaster declaration. These letters include a special insert that notes the payment date listed in the letter does not apply to those covered by a disaster declaration, and the disaster dates remain in effect.

The IRS apologizes to taxpayers and tax professionals for any confusion as we continue to review the situation. Taxpayers receiving these letters do not need to call the IRS or their tax professional.
hillburger

Post by hillburger »

I got the CP14 notice but it did not include the "special insert that notes the payment date listed in the letter does not apply to those covered by a disaster declaration, and the disaster dates remain in effect."

Did anyone get the special insert, and if so, could you post a photo/PDF or IRS link? Thanks.
Topic Author
ssel

Post by ssel »

The insert (someone posted a link to it above) did not say that the payment date listed in the letter does not apply. Rather, it looked just like a generic public service announcement reminding people about the disaster relief. If anything it seemed ironic that they would include it along with a personalized CP14 specifying a June 26 deadline.

I guess I understand their thinking, kind of a wink from the IRS. That when we see this insert we'll realize that they realize how inappropriate the CP14 must seem, and surely we'll guess that they intend for us to ignore both the personalized CP14 and also their explicit online instructions to not ignore any tax due notices. But obviously that thinking was flawed, as they've since acknowledged and apologized for.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

This blog post from a CPA might give some info.

http://www.taxabletalk.com/2023/06/07/w ... d-notices/
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
hillburger

Post by hillburger »

Thank you @BuddyJet. Helpful to see info from an EA. I'd still love to see the special insert from the IRS (that was not included with my CP14).
IOException

Post by IOException »

I got one, but already threw it out. It did not mention anything about the dates being different. Instead, it referenced a URL to the IRS website that had all the published disaster relief notices.

I took the letter to the local IRS office (I live in San Francisco), because I waited on the phone for an hour and gave up. The IRS told me to buzz off an not worry about it, hence my post with the explanation I was given. :D
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

I got the CP14. Spent 2-3 hours each on hold on 2 different days. Never got to talk to anyone.

This is outrageous. How hard is it to add a zip code filter to the deadline algorithm?

Probably stupidly, I paid the $ because I didn't want the penalties and fines to keep piling up. I'll try to get my money back later though I doubt I'll have any success.

Years ago they had deposited a payment of mine but never gave me credit. Although I provided them with a copy of the cancelled check and sent numerous letters, they still claimed to have never received it. I eventually had to give up and pay 2x.
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

I just got this dreaded letter CP14

I live in San Diego and in zip 92129

How can I find out if my zip code is in the disaster zone ?

My HnR block tax professtional said that San Diego is in the disaster zone and file by Oct 24 and now this, I am really worried. I owe like 15K

Please help.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

grtwallchina75 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:04 pm I just got this dreaded letter CP14

I live in San Diego and in zip 92129

How can I find out if my zip code is in the disaster zone ?
Breathe. It goes by counties. San Diego is one of the counties. Be aware this announcement has October 16, 2023 as the due date, not October 24th. As for the CP14 see: They are required by law to send them but if you are in a disaster area it does not apply to you. There is supposed to be an insert but people on this board report not receiving that insert.
hillburger

Post by hillburger »

I looked at the IRS mailing again and the last page seems to be the "insert" that the IRS said was sent with the CP14 notice. The top of this page has the title "Notice 1155-G Disaster Relief from the IRS". Then it has the following vague wording: "The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recently issued a disaster declaration. The IRS announced that taxpayers in your area may qualify for administrative disaster tax relief. Administrative disaster tax relief generally includes postponement of most filing and payment deadlines. If your IRS address of record is in the covered disaster area listed in the news release, you will automatically receive IRS administrative disaster tax relief. Visit www.irs.gov and search "IRS News from Around the Nation" to view the news release."

So there are no specific dates or locations, but it's basically saying that if you are in a disaster area, you will not have to pay until October, despite the CP14 due date of June 26, 2023.
hillburger

Post by hillburger »

Update for July 5, 2023: Got a new notice from the IRS, called CP14CL. It says "We are sending this special mailing to reassure you that you have additional time to pay your taxes. We apologize for the confusion caused by our CP14 notice. Our records show you recently received a CP14 notice from the IRS letting you know how much you owe in taxes and requesting payment within 21 days. We are required by law to send this notice to you when there is a balance due, but we wanted to let you know that you actually have extra time to pay."

Yes, that CP14 definitely caused confusion! At least the IRS followed up with clarification (a month later).
dual

Post by dual »

I also received a notice today. Useful information. It indicates that their software has flagged my return as one that can be delayed. Reduces, but of course, does not eliminate the chance for screw ups in the future when my payment comes in October.