Career Change - Architecture or Construction Management

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
allones

Career Change - Architecture or Construction Management

Post by allones »

Hi folks, seeking career/life advice here.

Background - I'm 45, female, and have been working in tech for the past 15+ years. It has been an unintentional career, as it started out as a way to pay the bills while I pursued music, but once I accomplished what I wanted in music then tech became my career. I've climbed the ladder but I've never been truly interested in or passionate about it despite trying to focus on the positives (well, just one positive - the money) and trying to get myself jazzed up to stay in the game. I'm just smart and ambitious and it's worked for me, but it's run its course and I need a change.

Second to being a rock star, my other childhood dream was to be an architect. I've taken a handful of design and drafting courses and have done four house remodels that I've designed and managed myself. I know I have a knack for this and I've wanted to pursue a Master's in Architecture for a long while but have not lived in a location where there is a local program. Now, in the year 2023, there are three NAAB-accredited online programs available for people with a Bachelor's outside of architecture which would take about 3.5 years to complete.

Because it seems a little crazy to go after an intensive degree like Architecture at my age, I'm also considering Construction Management programs which run for about 1.5 years. The pros of this path are 1) getting back to work more quickly 2) less expensive 3) being able to leverage tech project management experience to get a head start. The con is potentially regretting not going all in on architecture.

One way or another, I want to be in the building industry and have decent earning potential. And, either way, the reality is that I'll be pushing 50 upon graduation. My goal is not to land a top firm or anything like that, but just to do work in a field that I enjoy with the 15+ working years ahead of me.

I know this is one of those "only you can choose" situations but in addition to informational interviews I have planned with a couple of architects, I'd appreciate insight from folks in the industry or anyone who's made a big mid-career change.
will86

Re: Career Change - Architecture or Construction Management

Post by will86 »

allones wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:38 am My goal is not to land a top firm or anything like that, but just to do work in a field that I enjoy with the 15+ working years ahead of me.
Would your goal include hanging out your own shingle after 15 years?
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

allones wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:38 am Hi folks, seeking career/life advice here.

Background - I'm 45, female, and have been working in tech for the past 15+ years. It has been an unintentional career, as it started out as a way to pay the bills while I pursued music, but once I accomplished what I wanted in music then tech became my career. I've climbed the ladder but I've never been truly interested in or passionate about it despite trying to focus on the positives (well, just one positive - the money) and trying to get myself jazzed up to stay in the game. I'm just smart and ambitious and it's worked for me, but it's run its course and I need a change.

Second to being a rock star, my other childhood dream was to be an architect. I've taken a handful of design and drafting courses and have done four house remodels that I've designed and managed myself. I know I have a knack for this and I've wanted to pursue a Master's in Architecture for a long while but have not lived in a location where there is a local program. Now, in the year 2023, there are three NAAB-accredited online programs available for people with a Bachelor's outside of architecture which would take about 3.5 years to complete.

Because it seems a little crazy to go after an intensive degree like Architecture at my age, I'm also considering Construction Management programs which run for about 1.5 years. The pros of this path are 1) getting back to work more quickly 2) less expensive 3) being able to leverage tech project management experience to get a head start. The con is potentially regretting not going all in on architecture.

One way or another, I want to be in the building industry and have decent earning potential. And, either way, the reality is that I'll be pushing 50 upon graduation. My goal is not to land a top firm or anything like that, but just to do work in a field that I enjoy with the 15+ working years ahead of me.

I know this is one of those "only you can choose" situations but in addition to informational interviews I have planned with a couple of architects, I'd appreciate insight from folks in the industry or anyone who's made a big mid-career change.
My wife and best friend are architects, just a couple of years older than you. Neither has worked in that field for a while. I know a lot of architects, though.

I will just say it’s not a career that seems to deliver on most aspirants’ wishes. We do know some architects who are essentially project managers and make decent money, but they don’t do anything much with design. Unless you’ve really had the chance to find out what they do, I’d suggest some deeper investigation.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Well, if you ask me, NOTHING is higher than. . . architect.
byline0802

Post by byline0802 »

Hi - You might also consider a career of tech in the construction sector, either working for a construction-focused software or tech company (e.g., Autodesk and Bentley Systems) or the tech/innovation department of a major general contractor or design firm (e.g., Skanska, DPR, Turner, Gensler, AECOM, Jacobs). So much in the construction/buildings sector is going digital now that having a tech background could be a huge asset in helping building sector firms correctly maneuver this industry shift. It wouldn't be exactly being an architect but you'd still be a part of creating buildings.

I think you could make the above shift without any further formal education. A short course on building information modeling (BIM), however, could be helpful. Also, the main U.S. construction industry magazine is ENR (enr.com) - a subscription to help you get the lay of the construction industry landscape would likely be a wise investment.

Happy to answer additional questions. If you'd share your general geography I might be able to help further.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Having just "retired" from being a condominium president of a large association, and the only president with engineering chops in our master umbrella association (for a a bit over 5,000 condo units) I can tell you that the construction management degree may serve you well, if you want to hire on as staff (with either engineering firms or large property managers) to augment other property management day to day services.

I ended up donating my time for free, getting the financing, and working directly with the unit owners, professional engineers, structural inspectors, reserve analysts, lawyers, and concrete and roofing contractors to do the full restoration work of old buildings. The certificates of completion are now being issued about one month after I sold my unit!

There is an acute shortage of people with the construction management experience to work with day-to-day property managers and volunteer boards to successfully complete this restoration work.

I already know the presidents of other associations are not going to be able to do what I did, by virtue of not having my technical and large project work experience. We need skilled construction managers to fill this gap.

I think there would be plenty of opportunities in older buildings in the multifamily space, including older condominiums that are literally everywhere in coastal areas.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

Have you considered a job with the New York Yankees?
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

toddthebod wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:38 pm Have you considered a job with the New York Yankees?
Haha
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

This is a bit rambling, but perhaps my point will come through. I had a friend (deceased) who ran his own architecture firm. He thought his employees (architects) were very frustrated for the most part since their work was more mundane than they had hoped; only a few actually were able to be creative.

When I was living in an HOA, one of our board members was in construction management. He didn't own it, but as a manager from design to the end product he liked the challenges and got satisfaction in the end results.

What are the goals of being an architect and would they be realized?
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
allones

Post by allones »

EddyB wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:07 pm I will just say it’s not a career that seems to deliver on most aspirants’ wishes.
This is a concern for sure.
byline0802 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 pm Hi - You might also consider a career of tech in the construction sector, either working for a construction-focused software or tech company (e.g., Autodesk and Bentley Systems) or the tech/innovation department of a major general contractor or design firm (e.g., Skanska, DPR, Turner, Gensler, AECOM, Jacobs).

Happy to answer additional questions. If you'd share your general geography I might be able to help further.
This is where my head is at with pursuing the CM degree, and I've sent out some resumes in these areas but no bites so far. I am located in Montana, but will likely end up back in Seattle in 5 years due to DW's job.

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:21 pm What are the goals of being an architect and would they be realized?
This is a good question. The goal for me is to merge my creative and technical/leadership selves. They exist separately as a day job and creative pursuits outside of work right now. I've just always wanted a job I love, but maybe that's not in the cards for me, and there's no guaranteeing that I'd love architecture.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

My childhood dream was also architecture.

I applied to the best school in the country (not US) at the time and would have been accepted, except I wasn't a citizen and needed special permission from a government department that took 36 months to get. But the time it finally came I was nearly done with a different degree.

I would suggest another alternative. You learn architecture and design via coursework or self-teaching and fulfill your creative desire by working on your own homes. These could be investment projects that you control. You could buy homes that need work, add value, and sell at a profit.

Your current career would pay for rehab. If you are short on funds you could maybe find partners to work with.

I rehabbed my current home. It was an incredibly fun experience. I got to redesign the whole house, yell at the subs and tell them how to do their jobs, raise money when I ran out of funds and work with the city planning department.

I would do it again.
will86

Post by will86 »

I've just always wanted a job I love
trying to make money from something you love sometimes takes the love out.
I would suggest another alternative. You learn architecture and design via coursework or self-teaching and fulfill your creative desire by working on your own homes. These could be investment projects that you control. You could buy homes that need work, add value, and sell at a profit.
something like this or working PT for a smaller design/build company
https://dbia.org/what-is-design-build/
Maybe a door will open to quit your day CM job.
Last edited by will86 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaghettiLegs

Post by SpaghettiLegs »

Off the top of my head, I know 3 architects and none make a living as architects. One, the oldest by far, made millions as a property developer, another is a municipal engineer - approving design permits, etc, and the other is now a nurse. The property developer did design a few houses for the land he developed and sold but that was not his main income.
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

It’s hard to be a good CM without any technical background. Maybe light commercial and residential would be okay. But for CMs on any work of complexity, I’d look to either those trained as Architects or Engineers, or perhaps those transitioning from Superintendent roles.

Just my two cents.
Watty

Post by Watty »

allones wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:38 am .....but just to do work in a field that I enjoy with the 15+ working years ahead of me.
One thing to watch out for is that even if things go well with architecture then in 15 years or so it will be time to retire from that and you may be at a bit of a loss again.

It would be good to look for other activities outside of work for things that you find fulfilling that you can continue to do long into retirement.

For example you mentioned that you at one time pursued music when you were younger. Maybe you could get back into that in some way in the evenings and weekends and if you keep making good money then you might be able to retire from your tech career and get involved with music that you can keep doing on some level for decades.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

General rules include talking people already doing what you see yourself possibly doing. People like to talk about how they got to where they are, what they do, etc. Don't just talk to the people at the schools. Talk to as many people as possible because people come at things from different perspectives. Where possible, take a couple of bites and see what it tastes like.

My take is that there are a lot more architects than construction managers. So, there's that in terms of opportunities. But verify such things. There are many architects in my neighborhood, but I haven't met a construction manager, but that might reflect local demographics.
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

Very exciting! What are your goals if you pursue construction management? With your professional experience and four home remodels under your belt somebody will be happy to take a chance on you - no degree required. Many people in construction still frown upon education and will be inspired by your self made background. However, If you want to run massive projects for huge companies then you'll probably need a degree. Word of warning is that the massive companies may start you out doing mind numbing paperwork 60+ hours/week. Also note that the "smaller" jobs can become quite large and very interesting and complex.
Ladeedaw

Post by Ladeedaw »

Not sure if this would meet your goals, but what about becoming an architectural designer? It sounds like you have enough background to quickly pick up on the software part of it (CAD, Revit, etc). And you've done some remodels, so it sounds like you can visualize projects. You could probably take a few night courses on specific technical areas or software modeling, and with that, combined with your current experience, land as a designer in an architectural or design firm. Designers who understand how things go together are valuable and in demand.

The pros I can see of doing this: doesn't require much investment in further education; builds on your interests and skillsets; as you learn more in the field, would seem to have a lot of opportunities; deal with professionals more than subcontractors (I find this to be a positive; maybe you don't); would likely allow you to exercise some of the creativity you'd like to. If you didn't like it, you'd probably know pretty quickly, without having put a lot of time and money into licensing.

The cons I can see: you wouldn't have complete control of projects (would likely have to start under a licensed architect to get experience); you might find some of the work given to you tedious (maybe not what you'd envision as "architecture": detailing, redlines, mundane changes the architect wants).

I know a few architectural designers (not architects) who run their own shop and do pretty well for themselves doing work that doesn't require architectural licensing. In my location, for instance, home building does not require an architect's stamp, only an engineer's stamp.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

To op:
Can you get a legitimate university degree in structural engineering????

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Ladeedaw wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:00 pm Not sure if this would meet your goals, but what about becoming an architectural designer? It sounds like you have enough background to quickly pick up on the software part of it (CAD, Revit, etc). And you've done some remodels, so it sounds like you can visualize projects. You could probably take a few night courses on specific technical areas or software modeling, and with that, combined with your current experience, land as a designer in an architectural or design firm. Designers who understand how things go together are valuable and in demand.

The pros I can see of doing this: doesn't require much investment in further education; builds on your interests and skillsets; as you learn more in the field, would seem to have a lot of opportunities; deal with professionals more than subcontractors (I find this to be a positive; maybe you don't); would likely allow you to exercise some of the creativity you'd like to. If you didn't like it, you'd probably know pretty quickly, without having put a lot of time and money into licensing.
This is a great thought. A designer does a lot of the actual work putting together plans and working out the details on the computer, are in high demand and can make a pretty good wage. Not sure if it meets your goals, but would be a quick way to start on that career path to figure out if you truly want to become an architect or not.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

allones wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:38 am Hi folks, seeking career/life advice here.

The passion is there, but you'd be 50 and starting out.

It's a brutal field. That I know. It crushes the soul out of lot of idealistic young people who have sweated & borrowed money to get there. There are the "staritects" like Sir Norman Foster and then there are the people who sketch get to do all the CAD work on each window frame. Doubtless there are even more menial jobs than that.

I would try to talk to as many people who are in the field as you can. Even do an unpaid internship in the field if you can find one -- just helping around the office.

Construction Management is a whole 'nother game. Lots of deadlines and cost pressures - as you say, much like software.

Beware that your "dream job" will fill your needs. Work is... work. Even writers, say, struggle (more with the very low income that most writers make, than with the day to day work, perhaps. But if you read Charlie Stross' blog (UK Science Fiction writer)-- and he is a successful writer - it's a tough old slog.

You might do the degree and then never practice. Will that work for you financially and in terms of your own life? I have several extraneous degrees which by and large I don't regret. Maybe do a 5th in retirement.
Topic Author
allones

Post by allones »

Thanks for the replies, all. It is really helping me iron out some of the wrinkles. One motivation for pursuing the CM degree would be to feel more confident having some expertise, especially being a woman in the field. The comments on architecture have confirmed my suspicions. I know one successful, happy, and encouraging architect, but I suspect she is the exception.

Chasing a dream job/ job I love is a never-ending thing for me. My partner and all of my peers do work that is deeply meaningful to them and it seems so nice to have work that aligns with one's identity. I feel like I have two lives, but I do have a very, very active creative life outside of work (music, woodworking, golf, occasionally remodeling houses). Unfortunately, I don't have the risk tolerance to rehab houses full-time as my primary income, but I have done well financially remodeling and selling my own homes.

I would want to work on residential or small commercial projects. My area is experiencing a labor shortage (not just physical labor, but also professional), so perhaps if I craft my story right I can get someone to take a chance on me. I like the suggestions to get my AutoCAD/Revit chops up and try to get a designer gig. My work has been data analysis/management, so drawing windows all day honestly seems more exciting than mining data 8-)
Topic Author
allones

Post by allones »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:36 am To op:
Can you get a legitimate university degree in structural engineering????

j🌺
A long while ago a tried out an engineering program and couldn't cut it. My strengths are more people- and creativity-oriented.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

If your strengths are people oriented, and you can work reasonably well with Excel spreadsheets to add up costs, then my comment still stands. Construction management with a large property management firm for older buildings, dense commercial or multifamily
one_speed

Post by one_speed »

Hello!
Suggest you look up local chapter of AIA...American Institute of Architects. Attend a dinner or whatever would get you the chance to talk to people. Very likely that in addition to AIA registered Architects you will also meet Construction Managers, who can share insights for your local market.

aia.org
TheMallet

Post by TheMallet »

I have been in architecture for 15 years or so. I work on very high end projects (mostly residential), for reference.

I still like the design process in architecture at this point. However, like probably most any job... the more experienced you become, the more stressful your responsibilities become and the more you have to deal with things that are not really the fun parts of design. Clients can be difficult, mistakes can be costly, deadlines can lead to some long hours (depending on your office, I suppose).

One word of caution that you may not be aware of at this stage in your thinking (I certainly wasn't) is how very long it takes to develop a meaningful expertise in this field. That is not meant to be a deterrent... but you should know that if you plan to work for 15 years, you may be getting towards retirement right as you really come into your own on having enough experience to really be great at the complete part of your job. The flip side to that, is that I have in mind that when I am ready to retire... I hope to continue doing some projects part-time, on my own. That isn't something that is an opportunity for every field.

Do you like interior design? If so, the barrier to entry there is a lot lower than architecture. The types of services that an interior designer would be expected to carry out can vary quite a bit. Landscape architecture might also have a quicker path to expertise while staying in the design realm.

From a boglehead, financial perspective. You will not be very useful to a firm when you are a new graduate. You will require a lot of training and will not be trusted to carry out a lot of tasks without oversight. So, expect a low salary out of the gate at a lot of places, but it should get better as you gain experience and are able to make your firm more money.

Best of luck!
Last edited by TheMallet on Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LydieDN

Post by LydieDN »

Hi,
I live in the San Francisco Bay area.
I am also considering a career change.
I was an IT project management consultant and I took a career pause (12 years).
I am interested in "construction management and remodeling".
I did a couple personal construction / remodeling projects myself.
You mentioned that you found a "Construction Management programs which run for about 1.5 years."
Is that online ? City College ? University ?
Could you please share more details?
Feel free to contact me in a PM.
Thank you.
byline0802

Post by byline0802 »

Hi OP,
The current issue of the ENR magazine that I mentioned earlier has a special section on the Mountain States. It includes a feature story on Billings-based design firm Cushing Terrell - maybe they are on your radar (or should be). Happy to share this copy with you via email - if interested, please DM me your email address.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Since you have a background in tech and enjoy designing I would suggest looking into the cell industry, where a good engineer is in great demand. There are quite a few companies who combine design with Construction and Program Management, and who are busy contracting to all the major wireless companies who are constantly expanding. You wouldn't have to have a degree in architecture, but CM (Construction Manager) or PM (Project Manager) training would be a big plus.

I worked for 31 years for Ma Bell in tech and the last 7 as a design engineer/construction manager, mostly using PowerPoint to make drawings, calling for new equipment, fiber placement, new tower placement or upgrade, and installations disguised as everyday structures that were actually cell sites. My main title was Interconnect Engineer, although I hold no degree.

I managed construction excavation and fiber placement crews in urban and rural areas, having also designed their jobs. I knew very little about cell technology when I retired from AT+T, but my background in tech and all manner of transmission ensured I had a leg up on everyone walking in the door. I was able to see the big picture whereas most seemed to have blinders on.

The odd thing about the cell industry is that there is a blurred line, mostly caused by confusion between regulated and deregulated infrastructure, so the opportunity exists to work in both segments. I hopped back and forth with three different firms after AT+T, working in a number of states, both physically and remotely running high dollar projects where one or more of the big three cell providers, and even the smaller ones were the clients.

If you have talent and can learn quickly you will be greatly sought after. At nearly 71 and retired for over 7 years I still get job offers which I ignore, so age isn't really a detriment if you have the aptitude and a thirst for knowledge.
Topic Author
allones

Post by allones »

TheMallet wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:45 am Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your real-world insight!

LydieDN wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:34 pm You mentioned that you found a "Construction Management programs which run for about 1.5 years."
Is that online ? City College ? University ?
Could you please share more details?
I am looking exclusively at online Master's programs. Here are some of the schools that are on my shortlist, but you can find more if you google it.
- University of Washington (they have a Certificate program as well that I'm entertaining rather than the full-blown graduate degree)
- Louisiana State University
- University of Oklahoma
- University of Southern California

vested1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:06 pm Since you have a background in tech and enjoy designing I would suggest looking into the cell industry, where a good engineer is in great demand. There are quite a few companies who combine design with Construction and Program Management, and who are busy contracting to all the major wireless companies who are constantly expanding. You wouldn't have to have a degree in architecture, but CM (Construction Manager) or PM (Project Manager) training would be a big plus.
Oddly enough, I started my telecom career (provisioning, technical support, switch programming) and have considered this path. The job openings I'm seeing in my area are early-career level and seem to be fairly hands-on as far as picking up a shovel and helping goes, but hearing that there's a need for talent and decent opportunities to grow is great. I'm curious who some of the companies are who combine design with construction and project management who consult out?

byline0802 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:29 pm Hi OP,
The current issue of the ENR magazine that I mentioned earlier has a special section on the Mountain States. It includes a feature story on Billings-based design firm Cushing Terrell - maybe they are on your radar (or should be). Happy to share this copy with you via email - if interested, please DM me your email address.
I actually check the Cushing Terrell job site about once/week. I'm going to take some classes to brush up on AutoCAD and then I think I'll have something to offer them. And thank you for the offer for the issue of ENR magazine - DMing you email address.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

allones, I'll send you a PM.
Pitagoras

Post by Pitagoras »

toddthebod wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:38 pm Have you considered a job with the New York Yankees?
or marine biologist!
vested1

Post by vested1 »

vested1 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:26 am allones, I'll send you a PM.
Two other reputable companies I didn't mention in my PM.

Black and Veatch
Crown Castle

Sometimes I would meet on site with other engineers from these two companies. They were very professional and mentioned that they were happy with their jobs. I didn't work for either one however, but their duties were basically the same as mine.