AMEX Platinum newbie questions regarding credit (Resolved)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
student

AMEX Platinum newbie questions regarding credit (Resolved)

Post by student »

I read the tip on this form regarding the 150,000 MR points ($6000 spend in 6 months) and $200 credit offer. So I signed up for it. I have two questions.

(1) One of the first things that I did was to enroll to get the Saks credit. After confirming that I was enrolled, I shopped at SAKSFIFTHAVENUE.COM on May 19. Based on what I have read, the credit usually post after 2 weeks but it is not posted yet. I understand that the fine print indicates that it could take longer, but I'm wondering what are your experience.

(2) Regarding the $200 credit, I understand from reading on the web that such credit has label K50X:0019 100.00% BACK. I received such credits on two small purchases ($4 and $12.95) very quickly. The fine print says credit will be posted 8-12 weeks after purchases. So they still have plenty of time but I don't understand why those 2 credits appeared so quickly and not the rest. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Please see update below.
Last edited by student on Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THY4373

Re: AMEX Platinum newbie questions regarding credit

Post by THY4373 »

student wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:32 pm I read the tip on this form regarding the 150,000 MR points ($6000 spend in 6 months) and $200 credit offer. So I signed up for it. I have two questions.

(1) One of the first things that I did was to enroll to get the Saks credit. After confirming that I was enrolled, I shopped at SAKSFIFTHAVENUE.COM on May 19. Based on what I have read, the credit usually post after 2 weeks but it is not posted yet. I understand that the fine print indicates that it could take longer, but I'm wondering what are your experience.

(2) Regarding the $200 credit, I understand from reading on the web that such credit has label K50X:0019 100.00% BACK. I received such credits on two small purchases ($4 and $12.95) very quickly. The fine print says credit will be posted 8-12 weeks after purchases. So they still have plenty of time but I don't understand why those 2 credits appeared so quickly and not the rest. Any ideas?

Thank you.
On one many Amex credits are very slow in posting right now. I had a bunch post just today including Saks that were for purchases 2-3 weeks ago. In my experience Amex is usually fast with the credits but about 10% of the time they are slow.

On two there is zero consistency on Amex credits. Some post quick, some post slower and not consistently one or the other. Basically I don't even worry about the credits until they are a month late at this point.

In my experience 95%+ of credits post eventually and I have had to chase a few but Amex always made me whole.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Call em' As a Platinum card holder you'd be surprised at the level of service you'll receive.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I would just call or chat with customer service if you have any questions, but some of these things take time.

I recommend reviewing sources like www.upgradedpoints.com and www.thepointsguy.com.

Besides signing up for all the benefits ASAP, I recommend leveraging “offers” through the website. As you add offers, more will appear up to 100 available at one time, so good to keep accepting them. These are really behind the scenes coupons. The latest one I used was $120 back from spending $300 at a Marriott Courtyard.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yatesd wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:06 am I would just call or chat with customer service if you have any questions, but some of these things take time.

I recommend reviewing sources like www.upgradedpoints.com and www.thepointsguy.com.

Besides signing up for all the benefits ASAP, I recommend leveraging “offers” through the website. As you add offers, more will appear up to 100 available at one time, so good to keep accepting them. These are really behind the scenes coupons. The latest one I used was $120 back from spending $300 at a Marriott Courtyard.
+1

Early on I called CS about a "late" credit for walmart+, maybe a week after I signed up. CS issued an immediate credit and the actual the actual credit showed up a couple of weeks later and the y reversed the CS credit.

Now walmart+ and an online media credit take a couple/several days to post, always backdated to the day of the charge.

I recall the Saks credit takes a week or so? The Uber credit is applied at time of ride.

They're good at customer service.

If only the Membership Rewards worked on United rather than having to go through a foreign partner.

Also the "offers"on the card vary by type of card and card holder. My platinum offers are seldom of use for our life style, but offers on amex everday card are often good for easy $10 or more credirs, but those also vary by cardholder. DW gets offers that are not available to me.
Topic Author
student

Re: AMEX Platinum newbie questions regarding credit (Resolved)

Post by student »

Thank you so much for the responses. I guess AMEX is afraid now that the information is on bogleheads. lol. I checked a few hours ago and these credits have posted.