Amazon claims delivery given directly to a resident but it was not me. UPDATE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lynette

Amazon claims delivery given directly to a resident but it was not me. UPDATE

Post by Lynette »

Update: Two sets of items arrived!

I was wondering if anyone else has had the experience where Amazon delivery person claims an item was given directly to a resident but it was not me. I am a Prime member and packages are usually safe in my area. Some time ago, Amazon claimed an item was given directly to a resident but it was not me. I disputed this and received a replacement. Because of the hassle I updated my delivery instructions that items for me were NOT to be given directly to a resident but placed on my front porch and a photo taken.

Today the Amazon delivery person made a lot of mistakes. It was claimed that three orders were given directly to a resident. It was not me. Instead two items for different addresses were placed on my porch. I only discovered this when I opened one assuming it was mine. A helpful customer service person replaced two items. The first order contained two items and only the first one was replaced. The second customer service also replaced the missing item. These are not high value items but getting a replacement is an enormous hassle. I again updated the instructions NOT to give a package directly to a resident but to place it my porch with a photo. I don't know what else to do if Amazon delivery person won't follow my instructions except to stop buying from them.
Last edited by Lynette on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bombcar

Re: Amazon claims delivery given directly to a resident but it was not me.

Post by bombcar »

I’m not sure what to do but I’m always glad I’m far out enough in the sticks that they still use UPS to deliver to me.

The drivers never look at the instructions and often don’t mark anything until later anyway, to speed up delivery.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Lynette wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:19 pm...I don't know what else to do if Amazon delivery person won't follow my instructions except to stop buying from them.
That sounds like the right approach, if you're not happy with their service, take your business elsewhere.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I don’t know if it would help or if you want to spend money, but could a parcel delivery box be an option?
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

If you have an Amazon pickup hub near you, that might be a more reliable option you could try. There's recently even been a discount offer if you choose to pick up your package instead of having it directly delivered.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

The Amazon delivery people are usually the worst for misdelivering items, missing packages, etc. and it is because they are generally low paid employees of third party contractors, with a high turnover rate. I am home often enough when packages get delivered to notice that the Amazon drivers seem to be someone new every couple of weeks.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

oldfatguy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:49 am ...The Amazon delivery people are usually the worst for misdelivering items, missing packages, etc. and it is because they are generally low paid employees of third party contractors, with a high turnover rate....
Don't generalize. Amazon varies a lot by location. Our Amazon deliveries have always been very reliable, at least as good as others (and much better than FedEx). IMHO one of Amazon's strengths has been that they are obviously making constant changes and using multiple suppliers and delivery services, and yet presenting a (fairly) consistent user experience. Having just moved thirty miles, I'd add that the Amazon experience is fine but noticeably different... more packages are delivered by USPS than by Amazon truck, and far fewer items are offered for same-day and next-day-morning delivery.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

If customer service is taking care of it, that's probably about the best you can hope for. And with regard to letting them know that your delivery person isn't reliable, if you are actually reporting problems and getting replacement items that's probably going to have as much effect as anything else.

When I get an Amazon delivery, I get an email asking me how my delivery was. At my previous house, we had an enclosed porch. Amazon would customarily leave packages on the outside steps, and I didn't like that, so I put instructions on my profile asking that packages be left on the porch. I knew that this was going to take a few extra seconds on the part of someone under time pressure, so every time a package was left on the porch I said the delivery was "Great" and on the next screen checked off "Followed instructions." I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but after a few weeks of doing that consistently, our packages were virtually always left on the porch.

My personal theory is that compliments are more powerful than complaints because they are rare, so when you do get a good delivery take the time to leave a compliment even though you may feel they are just doing their job. Especially if deliveries start to get good again.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Bikesy

Post by Bikesy »

I may or may not work for the company in question :wink:. I don't deliver packages but I've done quite a few ride-a-longs and understand the process. The problem isn't likely the delivery instructions but the driver. If I had to guess you're in an area that creates "group stops" which is where a driver makes one stop and delivers to multiple residences (if this isn't the case you might just have a bad driver). It's not uncommon for packages to get mixed up in these scenarios. Amazon Customer Service is typically very good so I'd just decide what is and isn't worth the hassle. When you report bad deliveries that does tie back to the delivery company and driver and over time they should figure it out. This is tracked daily all the way down to the individual package level.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Lynette wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:19 pm I again updated the instructions NOT to give a package directly to a resident but to place it my porch with a photo.
Your complaint is legitimate, but this instruction is not. No driver from anywhere is going to put a package on the porch when there is a person to hand it to.

Besides, if the person receiving the package is in your household, the problem is at your home, not the driver. If the driver is actually at the wrong house, the instruction to leave it on the porch is not going to help avoid the problem.

I don't know what else to do if Amazon delivery person won't follow my instructions except to stop buying from them.
Try something different. See if there is an Amazon hub delivery location in your area and have packages delivered there. It seems to work very well and in at least 1 case for me, has reduced packaging (a real plus in my book).
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:26 am If customer service is taking care of it, that's probably about the best you can hope for. And with regard to letting them know that your delivery person isn't reliable, if you are actually reporting problems and getting replacement items that's probably going to have as much effect as anything else.

When I get an Amazon delivery, I get an email asking me how my delivery was. At my previous house, we had an enclosed porch. Amazon would customarily leave packages on the outside steps, and I didn't like that, so I put instructions on my profile asking that packages be left on the porch. I knew that this was going to take a few extra seconds on the part of someone under time pressure, so every time a package was left on the porch I said the delivery was "Great" and on the next screen checked off "Followed instructions." I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but after a few weeks of doing that consistently, our packages were virtually always left on the porch.

My personal theory is that compliments are more powerful than complaints because they are rare, so when you do get a good delivery take the time to leave a compliment even though you may feel they are just doing their job. Especially if deliveries start to get good again.
Thanks. This is definitely something I need to do.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Bikesy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:29 am I may or may not work for the company in question :wink:. I don't deliver packages but I've done quite a few ride-a-longs and understand the process. The problem isn't likely the delivery instructions but the driver. If I had to guess you're in an area that creates "group stops" which is where a driver makes one stop and delivers to multiple residences (if this isn't the case you might just have a bad driver). It's not uncommon for packages to get mixed up in these scenarios. Amazon Customer Service is typically very good so I'd just decide what is and isn't worth the hassle. When you report bad deliveries that does tie back to the delivery company and driver and over time they should figure it out. This is tracked daily all the way down to the individual package level.
I guess this must have been a bad driver.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would also treat this as a bad driver. Amazon will know the driver is bad because you will not be the only one that the driver screwed over.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Lynette wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:47 am I guess this must have been a bad driver.
In the 11 years I've been living at this address, we've occasionally had new/inexperienced/bad drivers who have left our packages at our neighbor's house or on a nearby street with a similar name and a house numbered the same as ours. Fortunately for us, I know both individuals and we just trade packages and eventually the problem sorts itself out and life goes on. I'm not sure much can be done with it other than notify the appropriate channels of the errors and it sounds like you have.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:39 am
Lynette wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:19 pm I again updated the instructions NOT to give a package directly to a resident but to place it my porch with a photo.
Your complaint is legitimate, but this instruction is not. No driver from anywhere is going to put a package on the porch when there is a person to hand it to.

Besides, if the person receiving the package is in your household, the problem is at your home, not the driver. If the driver is actually at the wrong house, the instruction to leave it on the porch is not going to help avoid the problem.

I don't know what else to do if Amazon delivery person won't follow my instructions except to stop buying from them.
Try something different. See if there is an Amazon hub delivery location in your area and have packages delivered there. It seems to work very well and in at least 1 case for me, has reduced packaging (a real plus in my book).
I am the only person at my house so obviously the delivery person was at the wrong address. I buy almost everything from Amazon and usually they are very good. At one stage I was ordering and donating thousands of dollars worth of items for refugees for a program initiated by my church. I got to know the UPS guy personally. The problems I have had are with Amazon delivery persons for small items. It is not worth my while to go to a Amazon hub. It is easier to buy from a local retailer.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to accept the occasional bad driver as usually Amazon is very good.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

My approach with Amazon deliveries is that I accept that X out of so many will end up being mis-delivered and that's just part of the Amazon experience, which on the whole has been a net positive for me. Anytime there has been a delivery issue Amazon customer service has always handled it appropriately and I've gotten a replacement or refund.

If the delivery frustrations reached a point where it was more hassle than it was worth I'd stop using them, but I'm not even remotely close to that point.

Of course it is annoying and frustrating anytime there is a delivery mishap! But I just let myself feel the irritation for a minute and then deal with it through customer service.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:20 am
oldfatguy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:49 am ...The Amazon delivery people are usually the worst for misdelivering items, missing packages, etc. and it is because they are generally low paid employees of third party contractors, with a high turnover rate....
Don't generalize. Amazon varies a lot by location. Our Amazon deliveries have always been very reliable, at least as good as others (and much better than FedEx). IMHO one of Amazon's strengths has been that they are obviously making constant changes and using multiple suppliers and delivery services, and yet presenting a (fairly) consistent user experience. Having just moved thirty miles, I'd add that the Amazon experience is fine but noticeably different... more packages are delivered by USPS than by Amazon truck, and far fewer items are offered for same-day and next-day-morning delivery.
We also have reliable service from Amazon delivery folks. We have three warehouses near us, and most of our Amazon orders are delivered by Amazon.

USPS and UPS Amazon deliveries are good, also. FedEx gets our packages here, but they are often smashed, dirty; seems FedEx's handling is rough and perhaps their trucks are dirty.

A couple of days ago I had a package delivered by DHL for a fabricated medical equipment part ordered from Denmark. The package was open at one end, fortunately the part was not damaged. The driver said he didn't open the package, perhaps customs did.

Seems we live in a Lake Wobegon-ish area, where for the most part our deliveries are all above average.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

oldfatguy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:49 am I am home often enough when packages get delivered to notice that the Amazon drivers seem to be someone new every couple of weeks.
I’ve seen 3 Amazon drivers on my block at the same time, and have gotten multiple deliveries from different drivers on the same day. If I’ve ever had the same driver twice, I never noticed it. Knowing how Amazon does everything else, I suspect the drivers don’t drive consistent routes.

Anyway, I’m also in a Lake Wobegon delivery area. The last package that was misdelivered (by any service) was seven years ago. And we get a *lot* delivered.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Amazing. Duplicate set of items arrived. Some of them were the original order. The replacement was different as one box contained the replacement as well as an item I ordered. The boxes were all neatly placed on my porch with a photo! I have no idea what happened. The boxes were not the ones supposedly given to the resident as the boxes were all placed in the same place. I was told by the customer rep to keep the duplicates if they arrived. Weird but I am grateful.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:36 am
oldfatguy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:49 am I am home often enough when packages get delivered to notice that the Amazon drivers seem to be someone new every couple of weeks.
I’ve seen 3 Amazon drivers on my block at the same time, and have gotten multiple deliveries from different drivers on the same day. If I’ve ever had the same driver twice, I never noticed it. Knowing how Amazon does everything else, I suspect the drivers don’t drive consistent routes.

Anyway, I’m also in a Lake Wobegon delivery area. The last package that was misdelivered (by any service) was seven years ago. And we get a *lot* delivered.
They often do not have consistent routes because of how they set up their delivery arm. Amazon uses DSPs *Delivery Service Partners* (small businesses that Amazon all but runs for the owner, while not providing any megacorp benefits to the employees of said small business). This allows them to force each DSP to compete with other DSPs for attractive routes (usually by making their employees accept worse benefits or lower wages and less commonly by accepting less profits for the owner) and also they can terminate entire DSPs if there is ever talk of unionizing.

So you have drivers that have different routes every few weeks and they never have the opportunity to actually learn their routes and get to know the quirks of the route. This drives quality of delivery WAY down. Adding to that, every peak season Amazon hires on LOTS of new people with sign-on bonuses for 6 months of employment. However, after the Christmas peak season they will harshly cut money going to DSPs and drive stop counts through the roof (upwards of 250-400 stops out of a regular van) to encourage those new hires to quit, saving them from paying out the sign-on and reducing the staffing levels after peak season. There is a lot of burn-out happening in the Spring to Summer months for these drivers, and it's intentional. They also shorten the load out times so that drivers are struggling to load their vans before getting sent out of the station to deliver, which means they can't organize the totes properly beforehand and that further slows them down.

Additionally, a lot of the wage of the drivers is tied to other bonuses... such as for safe driving. However, changing routes on a driver leads to more mistakes on unfamiliar roads and a lack of knowledge of the area so it takes much longer to deliver causing them to fall behind, so they don't get the safe driving bonus due to stress and unfamiliarity with the area. Losing these bonuses equates to a $6-8/hr pay cut. Also, the drivers shifts are 4x10 hours. If the driver gets done early, they get paid for the full 10 hours as a way to encourage them to work efficiently because their effective hourly pay goes up. This is why you hear a lot about drivers peeing in bottles and running from door to door. However, when a DSP wants to reduce staffing, they will have a driver go "rescue" other drivers to help them get that route done faster. This means that a fast driver does not get the benefit of a higher effective wage, effectively a pay cut. DSP owners can do this to help reduce staffing by sending certain drivers out to rescue constantly and by assigning them unattractive routes (inner city routes for example).

Keep all of this in mind when you see those blue vans driving around.
Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

kevinf wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:24 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:36 am

They often do not have consistent routes because of how they set up their delivery arm. Amazon uses DSPs *Delivery Service Partners* (small businesses that Amazon all but runs for the owner, while not providing any megacorp benefits to the employees of said small business). This allows them to force each DSP to compete with other DSPs for attractive routes (usually by making their employees accept worse benefits or lower wages and less commonly by accepting less profits for the owner) and also they can terminate entire DSPs if there is ever talk of unionizing.

So you have drivers that have different routes every few weeks and they never have the opportunity to actually learn their routes and get to know the quirks of the route. This drives quality of delivery WAY down. Adding to that, every peak season Amazon hires on LOTS of new people with sign-on bonuses for 6 months of employment. However, after the Christmas peak season they will harshly cut money going to DSPs and drive stop counts through the roof (upwards of 250-400 stops out of a regular van) to encourage those new hires to quit, saving them from paying out the sign-on and reducing the staffing levels after peak season. There is a lot of burn-out happening in the Spring to Summer months for these drivers, and it's intentional. They also shorten the load out times so that drivers are struggling to load their vans before getting sent out of the station to deliver, which means they can't organize the totes properly beforehand and that further slows them down.

Additionally, a lot of the wage of the drivers is tied to other bonuses... such as for safe driving. However, changing routes on a driver leads to more mistakes on unfamiliar roads and a lack of knowledge of the area so it takes much longer to deliver causing them to fall behind, so they don't get the safe driving bonus due to stress and unfamiliarity with the area. Losing these bonuses equates to a $6-8/hr pay cut. Also, the drivers shifts are 4x10 hours. If the driver gets done early, they get paid for the full 10 hours as a way to encourage them to work efficiently because their effective hourly pay goes up. This is why you hear a lot about drivers peeing in bottles and running from door to door. However, when a DSP wants to reduce staffing, they will have a driver go "rescue" other drivers to help them get that route done faster. This means that a fast driver does not get the benefit of a higher effective wage, effectively a pay cut. DSP owners can do this to help reduce staffing by sending certain drivers out to rescue constantly and by assigning them unattractive routes (inner city routes for example).

Keep all of this in mind when you see those blue vans driving around.
Thank you Kevin. Tough on the drivers. I always thank them if I'm around when they deliver. I will be more understanding in future if they do make a mistake.