Possible gas leaks? (Update and new questions)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
student

Re: Possible gas leaks? (Update and new questions)

Post by student »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:47 am
student wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:41 am
niagara_guy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:30 am I just looked at my gas detector and didn't see any markings on it, I believe I bought it on Amazon. I believe for natural gas the detector should be mounted up high since natural gas rises (I believe down low for LPG detector since LPG is heavier than air).

I want a CO detector near sleeping area, so I have separate detectors for CO and natural gas.
Thanks. I have the CO detectors mounted high.
While CO detectors will function when mounted high, that's certainly not optimal. Since CO essentially mixes with air, the best position is 3-6' off the floor.
ok. Thanks. Right now, the detector in my bedroom is just under 6 feet from the floor. The one in the living is higher (cathedral ceiling) and the one in the utility room is only one foot from the ceiling (no where else to put it).
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Contrary to popular opinion gases in air neither rise, nor fall. Below 80,000 meters or so turbulence mixes them into a homogeneous mixture.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

hicabob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:41 am Contrary to popular opinion gases in air neither rise, nor fall. Below 80,000 meters or so turbulence mixes them into a homogeneous mixture.
This is certainly incorrect, in the context of the thread's subject of a gas leak. I've responded to many gas leaks over my 45 years in industry, both indoors and outdoors. Stratification is highly dependent on relative gas density, but it typically does occur. This includes incidents involving Hydrogen, CO2, H2S, Chlorine, Bromine, Methane, Methyl Chloride, and several others.
wilked

Post by wilked »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:51 am
hicabob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:41 am Contrary to popular opinion gases in air neither rise, nor fall. Below 80,000 meters or so turbulence mixes them into a homogeneous mixture.
This is certainly incorrect, in the context of the thread's subject of a gas leak. I've responded to many gas leaks over my 45 years in industry, both indoors and outdoors. Stratification is highly dependent on relative gas density, but it typically does occur. This includes incidents involving Hydrogen, CO2, H2S, Chlorine, Bromine, Methane, Methyl Chloride, and several others.
This is correct
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

wilked wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:54 pm
neilpilot wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:51 am
This is correct
"This is correct"? Hicabob or Neilpilot??
wilked

Post by wilked »

Gases rise and fall relative to one another based on their molecular weight (density).

Helium will be found at the top of a room, refrigerant gases at the bottom, and other gases somewhere in-between based upon the respective molecular weight