Everyone is Getting Promoted!!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Everyone is Getting Promoted!!

Post by LaramieWind »

The company I work for is promoting just about everyone in our department that is under 30 yo. What used to take 8 years they are now promoting in 3. That means older employees like myself are getting paid less, relativity speaking, despite our knowledge base. Are you experiencing the same or is your company increasing your salary accordingly? Any solutions beside threatening to quit? I still have 5 good years left in me. My lead told me the promotions are due to inflation, I reminded him that inflation is affecting me also.
London

Re: Everyone is Getting Promoted!!

Post by London »

You’re entering the final phase of your career. Get used to it, it’s going to be more common. If you have options, move on. If not, get over it.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

If you cant get a raise and you dont want to leave your current company, you can always be a true patriot and do the minimum needed to keep your job.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed May 31, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
trustquestioner

Post by trustquestioner »

Clearly your employer isn’t willing to pay you more. Therefore your only option to be paid more is to find another job.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Promotion is not always the same thing as compensation increase.

That said, many younger workers seem to be extremely focused on short-term perceptions of “growth” as measured by promotions and bigger titles, even if they haven’t made much impact. It sort of seems like younger workers expect a promotion every 12-18 months just because they are 1 year more experienced.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Age-old problem. No pun intended. I experience it at my last job prior to my retirement. Companies invest in the future by trying to retain younger employees. Older employees are expensive already.

At my job, the only solution was to tell them you had another job offer and that you planned on taking it. In that situation, my company MIGHT offer to match the offer to keep you. It was not a guarantee, by any means.

This was at a large technology company.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:30 am The company I work for is promoting just about everyone in our department that is under 30 yo. What used to take 8 years they are now promoting in 3.
No one under 30 (or 40) should be waiting 8 years at the same company for a promotion. You can always switch companies after 3-5 years and make more.

Usually a lot more than a standard promotion.

In your particular case, you are nearing the end of your career. Is more money necessary? Or are other things more important? If you want more money, you may have to switch companies. But it may not be as easy at your age.

I switched jobs every 5 years like clockwork for the first 20 years of my career. But I've been in my last job for 10 years now, because the money is good enough, and the benefits and work\life balance is excellent. I'll finish here.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:33 am If you cant get a raise and you dont want to leave your current company, you can always be a true patriot and do the minimum needed to keep your job.
That's the hard part, [Unnecessary language removed by moderator ClaycordJCA], but I am trying.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Salary compression (and sometimes salary inversion) is a big problem in some organizations. Unfortunately, ss others have said, the usual solution is find a new job or just put up with it.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

muffins14 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:34 am Promotion is not always the same thing as compensation increase.

Right; plus without knowing where each one is in a market range, it is difficult to draw any conclusions. I used to bring people in in the first quartile in most cases, and then do six month adjustments based on merit to bring them up. In some cases, the most experienced people were well above the range so there was always going to be some apparent compression.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Ageism is a major unspoken issue in the workplace - personally I'd scale back on effort and cruise the 5 years to retirement, but you could always switch jobs if you need a compensation increase.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:42 am
barnaclebob wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:33 am If you cant get a raise and you dont want to leave your current company, you can always be a true patriot and do the minimum needed to keep your job.
That's the hard part, [Unnecessary language removed by moderator ClaycordJCA], but I am trying.
Some people find coasting more stressful than working hard; do what is good for you.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Younger people in general are going to get promoted faster for the simple reason they are gaining skills at a rate much faster than older workers.

Calm down, calm down. What I mean is, they started with zero skills (ish), so the first few years sees a steep learning curve. Everyone everywhere always will hit a flatter part of the curve as they gain experience. When you learned to ride a bike you went from “can’t ride at all” to “decent rider” pretty quick. It’s a long slog from there to “professional bike rider.”

Or imagine the salary increase a new doctor gets when they go from a resident to practicing. What is it? Like a 3-5x jump in pay? Could you imagine older doctors being like “wait, give me a 4x raise too!”?

There is a lot of ageism though, but it’s the opposite of what people think. Young cohorts have almost a 50% higher unemployment rate (not to mention a fraction of the pay and benefits) than older cohorts. But no one ever talks about that, only when it seems to hurt them
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

At Megacorp, promotions are based on taking on different responsibilities, not knowledge base. DH has leveraged his knowledge base that they do not want to lose to go part time while resisting officially taking on more managerial tasks. They would have preferred to promote him, but can't unless he agrees to step into a leadership role.

If you want a promotion, ask your leadership what it would take. One thing that changes at a certain level in Megacorp is that you have to make an impression on the folks two levels above you, which the higher you get, the less interaction you have with folks that much higher.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

I was wondering if you could clarify the situation, since there are some missing details. Is it:

1. Others are getting promoted TO your level, but they are making more than you, OR

2. Others are getting promoted ABOVE your level, so they are now getting paid more, OR

3. Others are getting promoted TO your level. In absolute terms they are getting paid less than you. However, they got larger % increase in their salary than you due to promotion, since you only got the "cost of living" increase.

In the case of #1, that does seem unusual. At my megacorp, when someone is promoted to a new level, they will usually start at something like 80-90% of the midpoint of the salary band. People who have been at that level for awhile will likely be at or above 100% of the midpoint of the salary band. Therefore, it is unlikely that a newly promoted person will be making more than a seasoned veteran at that same level.

In the case of #2, if you are being passed over for promotion, and you feel like you should be getting promoted, have an honest career conversation with your supervisor. It is their job to tell you what you are lacking that is preventing you from getting promoted.

In the case of #3, I don't see any issues here. In this situation, your salary is appropriately higher than those who are newly promoted. Yes they are getting a larger % increase, but they are starting from a lower base.
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

sailaway wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:51 am At Megacorp, promotions are based on taking on different responsibilities, not knowledge base. DH has leveraged his knowledge base that they do not want to lose to go part time while resisting officially taking on more managerial tasks. They would have preferred to promote him, but can't unless he agrees to step into a leadership role.

If you want a promotion, ask your leadership what it would take. One thing that changes at a certain level in Megacorp is that you have to make an impression on the folks two levels above you, which the higher you get, the less interaction you have with folks that much higher.
I have been denied taking on different responsibilities, despite asking at every opportunity and seeing situations that needed attention. I have asked what can I do and they flat out will not answer.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:56 am
sailaway wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:51 am At Megacorp, promotions are based on taking on different responsibilities, not knowledge base. DH has leveraged his knowledge base that they do not want to lose to go part time while resisting officially taking on more managerial tasks. They would have preferred to promote him, but can't unless he agrees to step into a leadership role.

I have been denied taking on different responsibilities, despite asking at every opportunity and seeing situations that needed attention. I have asked what can I do and they flat out will not answer.
Time for a new job then. It's a pretty good job market right now.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

arf30 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 am Ageism is a major unspoken issue in the workplace - personally I'd scale back on effort and cruise the 5 years to retirement, but you could always switch jobs if you need a compensation increase.
Not unspoken at all, I hear older employees talking about it often.

However, it's only an "ism" if age is truly what's being considered, rather than productivity, salaries, willingness to learn new skills, or other factors that may have a correlation to age.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:56 am

Certainly a clear message.
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:07 pm
arf30 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 am Ageism is a major unspoken issue in the workplace - personally I'd scale back on effort and cruise the 5 years to retirement, but you could always switch jobs if you need a compensation increase.
However, it's only an "ism" if age is truly what's being considered, rather than productivity, salaries, willingness to learn new skills, or other factors that may have a correlation to age.
When you are denied new opportunities, college reimbursement and training there is no doubt its ageism.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Your job is your own business and no one else. Hence, you should ensure that you are compensated adequately for your effort. As for how much someone else is being paid, that is their business and not your problem.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Sounds pretty clear that they see you as having limited time before you leave and they don't want to have to depend on you up to that time, then scramble to replace you. Coast. Come in late. Make up for it by leaving early. Take a long lunch with a long walk at lunchtime.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

KlangFool wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:12 pm OP,

Your job is your own business and no one else. Hence, you should ensure that you are compensated adequately for your effort. As for how much someone else is being paid, that is their business and not your problem.

KlangFool
So not paying women the same as men for the same job is OK with you?
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:10 pm
When you are denied new opportunities, college reimbursement and training there is no doubt its ageism.
Hmm. I would have plenty of doubt in that situation. There are any number of factors that can determine whether a person advances or not in a company.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

If there is a company policy on tuition reimbursement it must be followed for everyone.
Similar with training dependent upon what is in your company handbook.
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:19 pm
Hmm. I would have plenty of doubt in that situation. There are any number of factors that can determine whether a person advances or not in a company.
I am not the only one this has happened to. Another engineer had been with the company 15 years before a promotion. Another was treated very poorly until he was the only choice to take on the new lead position since others had left.
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:22 pm
If there is a company policy on tuition reimbursement it must be followed for everyone.
The company handbook states "Its up to managers discretion". Its a utility with plenty of lawyers and well educated HR.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:25 pm
The company handbook states "Its up to managers discretion". Its a utility with plenty of lawyers and well educated HR.
I guess they know you will not rock the boat then.
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:29 pm
I have made inquires with HR, it did not go well. I have talked to a number of lawyers, nothing can be done. Ageism is very tough to prove in court, look it up.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

It seems everyone around me is getting a raise except me… the person actually producing the service. Our corp actually has though after 4 years just given me what equates to about a 3% raise. 🙄 I can’t totally blame them though because insurance reimbursements aren’t changing much. I sort of feel sorry for kids that spend $400k+ (in state) on school/training thinking they are gonna be rich when they get out…insurance reimbursements for new providers especially are horrible. I’ve gotten lucky in my situation 12 years in but don’t see provider compensation keeping up with inflation in dentistry . I’m actually looking to not change companies but change professions and follow my dream to fly airplanes professionally. I just need to figure out how I’d live on only $590k being a wide body captain! :mrgreen:
id0ntkn0wjack

Post by id0ntkn0wjack »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:30 am The company I work for is promoting just about everyone in our department that is under 30 yo. What used to take 8 years they are now promoting in 3. That means older employees like myself are getting paid less, relativity speaking, despite our knowledge base. Are you experiencing the same or is your company increasing your salary accordingly? Any solutions beside threatening to quit? I still have 5 good years left in me. My lead told me the promotions are due to inflation, I reminded him that inflation is affecting me also.
In the US, over age 50 is a protected class. If the results of the promotions/compensation increases results in older workers earning less than their younger peers, you might be able to file an Age Discrimination claim. NOTE: it's PITA, it will take forever to resolve & your bosses will hate you for filing the claim.
I moved 10% of my equities into BLV (Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF) in January 2021. Follow my advice at your own peril.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

In my profession, certain levels are explicitly marked as "terminal levels" where it is expected that large chunks of people will never progress past there. It's not meant to be a bad thing, it just means that the next levels involve activities that most may not, or cannot do (public speaking, travel, leadership, etc). Compensation increases can still happen, but title promotions will not. It also takes away the pressure of an "up or out" expectation.

I am at one of these levels. So it does seem like everyone else is getting promoted, but I don't feel that it's bad. Every so often, I am asked if I'd like to aim for another promotion. I decline, but it's nice to be asked I supposed, as it makes it feel less like I am trapped at this level.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

How old are you? You should provide more context to get better answers. Does 5 more good years mean you're 60?
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

This is because everyone is getting thrown to the wolves because all the boomers have retired, leaving a massive gap in employee needs vs. available workers. Companies are throwing around more money than ever trying to recruit good people. I got a 38% raise over the past year, and we just offered a person with 7 years of experience a salary that I was making 15 years into my career.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:15 pm

KlangFool
Didn’t you imply in the OP you are making more money than these young people are who being promoted?

Just because you aren’t getting promoted doesn’t make it ageism. Could be other things.

If you are being underpaid, go find another job. If someone won’t pay you more, you aren’t being underpaid. Something is only worth what someone else will pay for it
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:30 am The company I work for is promoting just about everyone in our department that is under 30 yo. What used to take 8 years they are now promoting in 3. That means older employees like myself are getting paid less, relativity speaking, despite our knowledge base. Are you experiencing the same or is your company increasing your salary accordingly? Any solutions beside threatening to quit? I still have 5 good years left in me. My lead told me the promotions are due to inflation, I reminded him that inflation is affecting me also.
Op it depends on profession, in civil service, the yes men and the politico appointees gets the promotion, the civil servants who takes test could be forever in a glass ceiling, this happened to me, I was locked in at my grade, the last promotion was in 1997, however our union fought for increase (steps).

Instead of focusing on promotions, I focused on living below my means, and saved as much as I could in my retirement savings. I left my job's 457 plan at 1.7 million, with Roth IRA exited at 827k with combined total of 2.69 million at 34 years.

Don't focus on grass is greener on the other side, don't worry about keeping up with the Jones.

best of luck.
Last edited by retire2022 on Wed May 31, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:15 pm

KlangFool
You have a choice:

A) Hope that someone else will fight for justice and fairness for you.

Or,

B) Make sure that you get fair treatment. Fight for your own fair treatment

I know my answer. How about you?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

id0ntkn0wjack wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:35 pm
In the US, over age 50 is a protected class. If the results of the promotions/compensation increases results in older workers earning less than their younger peers, you might be able to file an Age Discrimination claim. NOTE: it's PITA, it will take forever to resolve & your bosses will hate you for filing the claim.
However, someone went to court with a weak case of age discrimination years ago. That set the bar for proof very high.
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

Companies care about the bottom line, so they'd want to retain and advance their most promising employees. It could be the case that such employees are younger and work better with technology. I don't think that is ageism. If you want time in grade promotion, you'd need to join the public sector.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Someone going from 0 to 3 years of experience *should* get promoted. A person with 3 years of experience is a lot more valuable than someone at entry level.

Someone with 30 years instead of 25, though, depends much more on what the person has spent the last 5 years doing. Most employees don’t grow and change much at that point, and promotions and salary increases will reflect that.
OrangeKiwi

Post by OrangeKiwi »

id0ntkn0wjack wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:35 pm
Also age 40 or over.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/discr ... on/agedisc
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

At my Megacorp it's been kind of the reverse. Used to be a strong engineer could get through 7 levels of technical staff positions fairly quickly, some in only a dozen years for so. Now, most people top at a level 4 or 5 at best and only a small percentage ever make it the two highest grades. It's a means of keeping a lid on senior level salaries.

In your case, you might consider leaving for a better position and higher pay. Or if pretty close to retirement, maybe coast a little bit.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Find another company/division/department/boss that values you more than your current one. I never cared much about titles and promotions. What I did care about was how much money I made and what I had to do to get it. When I had enough money I retired.

Call me what you will, but pay me what I'm worth. In the end, it's just a business arrangement.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:32 pm

I have made inquires with HR, it did not go well. I have talked to a number of lawyers, nothing can be done. Ageism is very tough to prove in court, look it up.
If you are not going to seek a new job, and you are not going to push back on the company ...then what is the purpose of your post?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

If you don’t like your job you don’t strike. You just go in everyday and do it [Unnecessary language removed. Moderator Pops1860]. That’s the American way.

-Homer J. Simpson
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

They will also be able to take advantage of parental leave, better vacation, and better WLB that us grey beards didn't have. Best to be happy for them!
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

Tycoon wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:18 pm Find another company/division/department/boss that values you more than your current one. I never cared much about titles and promotions. What I did care about was how much money I made and what I had to do to get it. When I had enough money I retired.

Call me what you will, but pay me what I'm worth. In the end, it's just a business arrangement.
I very much agree with this sentiment.

However, I'm at a small, private company at the moment and I've learned that though I may not care about titles, nearly everyone else does. and if one is searching elsewhere, titles/positions, though largely irrelevant in my mind, will definitely open doors that would otherwise be closed at other companies. Being a "lead" this, or a "director level" that, or a "principal" this, even if it's in name only for all intents and purposes, does carry clout.

ETA: if you never plan on leaving your current establishment, then I suppose titles can remain irrelevant. But, if you're not certain you'll retire from your current job, it would behoove you to care about maximizing your importance and irreplaceability, on paper.
If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall
Topic Author
LaramieWind

Post by LaramieWind »

Tycoon wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:18 pm Find another company/division/department/boss that values you more than your current one. I never cared much about titles and promotions. What I did care about was how much money I made and what I had to do to get it. When I had enough money I retired.

My definition is Promotion = higher salary. I also do not care about my title.
Last edited by LaramieWind on Wed May 31, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Your current company has made it pretty clear they aren't giving you a promotion. If you want one, go find another company that will give you one.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

smitcat wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:22 pm
LaramieWind wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:32 pm

If you are not going to seek a new job, and you are not going to push back on the company ...then what is the purpose of your post?
Looks like to complain...how is this thread actionable?