Glasstop Stove White Stains--Anything Else I Can Try

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
choral54

Glasstop Stove White Stains--Anything Else I Can Try

Post by choral54 »

I am remodelling a kitchen and am not a real avid baker or cooker. I have a GE Profile Range that I would like to keep and am trying to decide if I need to replace the stove. One of the front burners has quite a bit of white staining. The rest of the burners are like new. I have used baking soda and vinegar, lemon juice, Cerma Bryte, and a razor blade. Any other suggestions or am I stuck with the stains on that burner? The rest of the stove cleaned up like new. A new Profile will cost me $999 on a current sale. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any way to mask the white stains?
Silk McCue

Re: Glasstop Stove White Stains--Anything Else I Can Try

Post by Silk McCue »

Use something like this when not in use. We have one because we have cats and don’t want them to get burned if they jump up after use and before cooling.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... s=2&adurl=

Cheers
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. We have a 10 year old G.E. Profile range with glass cooktop. DW uses these when all else fails. You may need to scrub a little harder, but they do a good job. The cooktop is used daily & it’s still in great shape.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We always use the recommended Cerama Bryte along with the same brand of yellow scrubber. This is what is recommended by the stove manufacturer and has always worked for us without damaging the cooktop. Sometimes it takes more elbow grease than others.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
celia

Post by celia »

Can you post a picture so we can see what you mean?

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Posting ... eads_forum

Is the stain on top of the glass or underneath? Can you just buy a new glass top?
What caused the stain?
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

OP,
DW said please try the Magic Eraser before doing anything rash. Rub aggressively.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

celia wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:18 pm Can you post a picture so we can see what you mean?

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Posting ... eads_forum

Is the stain on top of the glass or underneath? Can you just buy a new glass top?
What caused the stain?
Maybe so, see here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0VIn3b_AE
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
choral54

Post by choral54 »

It is on top of the cooktop. Don't remember what caused it. Maybe did some canning? I will post a pic soon.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Maybe this will work for you. It's designed specifically for it.

https://barkeepersfriend.com/how-to-cle ... s-cooktop/
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

We use Barkeeper's Friend Stovetop Cleaner. This is the Amazon link but I'm pretty sure I got it at the grocery store.
https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Frie ... 003BVI5HA/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (stove).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Some folks will cringe at this and without a better understanding of what the stain is take this how you will…
When I get build up from pans boiling over and the residue baking on I use a single edge razor blade that you use in a scraper.
I use the blade on its own keeping it very flat to the glass top at a very shallow angle. I’ve used this method for years and have never scratched the top but it sure gets any stubborn baked on build up off the glass. I finish up with a glass top cleaner.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

We've used No. 7 White Polishing Compound for years.

One source (about $7) - https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... c-shopping
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Does using Cerama result in small amounts of the white stuff coming off on the paper towels when removing it? If so, continued use will eventually and gradually remove the white. For us, it sped up by wetting the area with Windex or a similar solution and letting it sit.

Tim
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

choral54 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:31 pm One of the front burners has quite a bit of white staining.
Soak a dryer sheet aka Bounce. Drape it over the stains. Leave it on at least an hour. Wipe away stains.

I don't know why it works; it's one of the many lifeshacks I learned on YouTube during lockdown boredom. FWIW I do not use dryer sheets for laundry but I keep them under the kitchen sink for stovetop and burners. Go figure!
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Five years ago I tried Cerama Bryte on our new glass top Kitchen Aid. I wasn't impressed.

After buying Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner I tossed the Cerama Bryte.
Weiman and sometimes a razor blade are all I've ever used and I'm the appointed stove cleaner. Well, maybe volunteer, but I prefer to say my wife appointed me because I do a better job. And she loves to cook with enthusiasm.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Flobes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:03 am
choral54 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:31 pm One of the front burners has quite a bit of white staining.
Soak a dryer sheet aka Bounce. Drape it over the stains. Leave it on at least an hour. Wipe away stains.
Letting a cleaning solution sit overnight on the glass top may help loosen the stain. Time is your friend. Put some kind of cloth soaked in whatever cleaning solution you use on top of the stain to keep it moist overnight. I would use vinegar OR ammonia, with some diluted dish soap. Just make sure the cloth is really sopping wet.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I'm assuming you are talking about a stove with a smooth "glass" top. I don't think all GE Profiles have them.

I have tried all the method described above except for letting something soak on the stovetop overnight. This may be controversial, but by far the most effective, easy way I have found is to use extra fine sand paper designed to be used wet. I typically use 600 grit. (The larger the number the finer the grit.) I don't use anything courser than 600.

Maybe try a small spot that isn't easily seen first to make sure it isn't going to significantly change the finish. On my countertop stove I pulled a knob off and tried the area usually hidden by the knob first. (The knobs on my stove are mounted on the glass surface.)

Keep the area where you are sanding wet, and rinse the paper off frequently. I have been doing this for years, and I can't see any scratches on the surface where I have sanded. Makes the surface look shiny and new.

It may take awhile if you have a lot of buildup, but after that you should be able to keep it looking good with a quick sanding of stains every couple weeks. Each time should take less than a minute.

If you are worried about sandpaper being abrasive, keep in mind that many of the suggestions other posts use things that are abrasive - Magic Erasers for example. They will work too, but will cost more than sandpaper.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 am I'm assuming you are talking about a stove with a smooth "glass" top. I don't think all GE Profiles have them.

I have tried all the method described above except for letting something soak on the stovetop overnight. This may be controversial, but by far the most effective, easy way I have found is to use extra fine sand paper designed to be used wet. I typically use 600 grit. (The larger the number the finer the grit.) I don't use anything courser than 600.

Maybe try a small spot that isn't easily seen first to make sure it isn't going to significantly change the finish. On my countertop stove I pulled a knob off and tried the area usually hidden by the knob first. (The knobs on my stove are mounted on the glass surface.)

Keep the area where you are sanding wet, and rinse the paper off frequently. I have been doing this for years, and I can't see any scratches on the surface where I have sanded. Makes the surface look shiny and new.

It may take awhile if you have a lot of buildup, but after that you should be able to keep it looking good with a quick sanding of stains every couple weeks. Each time should take less than a minute.

If you are worried about sandpaper being abrasive, keep in mind that many of the suggestions other posts use things that are abrasive - Magic Erasers for example. They will work too, but will cost more than sandpaper.
After most other recommended cleaners failed, I tried a pumice stick. Worked like a charm for me (GE Profile cooktop). Very light sanding, abrasive method of cleaning. Most important, as noted by OpenMinded1, water, water -- water on the surface to be cleaned and rinse, keep the pumice stick wet as you are able.

Bonus feature, pumice sticks are really excellent for quickly and thoroughly cleaning oven grates.
Alfonsia

Post by Alfonsia »

I suspect I have the same oven, nothing works IMO. Get a cover, like silicon sheet, or I use chopping boards, for when you aren't using it so you don't have to look at it? Otherwise use your nicest Le Creuset and cover it up. I don't even think it is a superficial stain, it is like something about the surface itself. This burner gets wildly hot IME, I am looking at that as a feature vs a bug, (oven was in house when we bought it). I would only replace it with an induction, but that is when it dies. You can replace the whole top IIRC, like a few hundred $$. It sounds like you are irritated by the aesthetics, get something that you like that covers it. If you don't use it for cooking, it won't be in the way. If you are having custom kitchen countertops you could get a piece cut to fit your stove top and have some rubber feet or similar.
PottedPlant

Post by PottedPlant »

Try red jeweler's rouge and lots of elbow grease (mechanical or manual).
https://www.amazon.com/Enkay-152-Rouge- ... B07MGHQ6GX The $8 block is a lifetime supply.
Mashed or Baked Potatoes?
Topic Author
choral54

Post by choral54 »

Thank you for all of the suggestions!
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Please keep us posted if anything works.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

andypanda wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:56 pm Five years ago I tried Cerama Bryte on our new glass top Kitchen Aid. I wasn't impressed.

After buying Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner I tossed the Cerama Bryte.
Weiman and sometimes a razor blade are all I've ever used and I'm the appointed stove cleaner. Well, maybe volunteer, but I prefer to say my wife appointed me because I do a better job. And she loves to cook with enthusiasm.
Another vote for Weiman's.

I would not use anything more abrasive.