Help my family plan a trip to Japan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KeepItSimple78

Help my family plan a trip to Japan

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

Hello Bogleheads,

I plan to take my family of 3 (6 y/o) to Japan in March/April of 2024. We've never taken an international trip like this before and would greatly appreciate any suggestions/recommendations/thoughts from the community. My current attention is focused on the following:

1. Securing passports (renewing for my wife and I) for the family
2. Settling on the exact dates
3. Purchasing the airline tickets
4. Having the family learn some basic Japanese

My future concerns:

1. Filling in various activities once we have the exact dates hammered down
2. We use a cheap piggyback cell phone service... how will we get service while in Japan
3. Health insurance considerations while abroad
4. Various travel methods within the country as we intend to travel between Tokyo and other major cities

Thanks so much!
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.
MJS

Re: Help my family plan a trip to Japan

Post by MJS »

KeepItSimple78 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:20 pm My future concerns:
This will be prime cherry blossom viewing time. Go to lots of gardens. The spring equinox, March 20/21/22, is a holiday. Weather will be cool to chilly, perhaps rainy, so plan alternative inside activities.
Call the people at https://tripinsurancestore.com/
4. Various travel methods within the country as we intend to travel between Tokyo and other major cities
For the southern leg in April ... Do you like cool season camping? Tent or campervan? Both are popular in Japan and might save some money, besides offering an excellent way to meet people.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

If you don't have it already, apply for a travel card, or two for your spouse as well. Get the sign up bonus and use that bonus to reduce the cost of the tickets.

I suggest Chase Sapphire Reserve for one, and Chase Sapphire Preferred for the other, then pool the bonus UR points to the Reserve card. You may find that the bonus points would pretty much pay for your entire travel.

Or Capital One Venture card(s).

Edited to add: start applying now, as you have 10 months which can be broken down as 3 months to meet the spending requirements on one, another 3 months to meet the spending requirements on another, then 4 months to plan your travel so you can (possibly) get early booking discount
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

Get the JR rail pass. Unlimited rides on Japan Rail. Note, there are other rail companies that don't honor the pass, but JR will get you to a lot of places.
not financial advice
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

I don't generally recommend waiting until children are older but I am going to for Japan. There are a lot of great activities, festivals, lodging choices, etc. but you'd need the child to be a bit more independent to enjoy and appreciate them.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

-- for travel, get a Japan Rail Pass (online). It saves a lot on train travel, which is the main way to go between cities. You can get 7, 14 or 21 day versions. I think last time we were in Japan, we got the 7 day pass and grouped our train travel within the middle week of our trip; the days start when you first use the pass. We spent a few days in Tokyo, went to Kyoto and Kanazawa, then back to Tokyo. You can ride all but the fastest Shinkansens.

-- it's good to learn some basic Japanese, at least to be able to say good morning, good day, excuse me, thank you, how much is this, etc. We found people generally very helpful-- when we'd stop in a station to figure out a route, someone would usually come up to us and help.

-- the cherry blossom season moves up south to north-- I remember at the start of April, Kyoto was past bloom, but Kanazawa (more northwest) was at peak.

-- do the passports now, they can take a long time nowadays.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

KeepItSimple78 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:20 pm Hello Bogleheads,

I plan to take my family of 3 (6 y/o) to Japan in March/April of 2024. We've never taken an international trip like this before and would greatly appreciate any suggestions/recommendations/thoughts from the community. My current attention is focused on the following:

My future concerns:

2. We use a cheap piggyback cell phone service... how will we get service while in Japan

Thanks so much!
Food is a big part of travel to certain destinations, Japan being high on that list.

How does the 6 year old handle Japanese cuisine at home?

What is the 6 year old's current travel experience?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

1. There's so much to see, the challenge will be narrowing it down. You could spend a month in and around Tokyo alone. What are you interested in? Kyoto should be in the itinerary. Nara is also worth a visit and the 6 year old will love feeding the deer. If you can find a ryokan that accepts children, then add that as a place to stay, even if it's just one night.

2. I use Google Fi, which works nearly everywhere in the world for reasonable rates.

4. The trains are great and super reliable. If your train happens to arrive early and not on schedule, the conductor will apologize. I wouldn't consider anything else unless you're leaving Honshu (the main island) or going somewhere remote.

It's great to learn some Japanese, especially some greetings, thank you, etc., but you can get by with absolutely nothing if you need to. Probably more important is knowing the social norms (the Japanese are weird about people eating in public, don't ever get soap in a wooden soaking tub, etc.).

With a young child, just be reasonable with your plans. I wouldn't plan more than a couple big things a day as you'll get slowed down with bathroom breaks, meltdowns, etc. Be patient. Traveling with children can be great as it exposes you to things and a side of life that you would otherwise miss. Some of my favorite travel memories have been detours for kid things.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

re: phone service in Japan:

they won't just sell you a SIM that you put in your phone and have a local phone number-- they want to control access, and not have people using "burner phones" for illicit activities.

What we have done is to rent a mobile hotspot, which comes with a bunch of data. You connect your phones, etc. to it over wifi, and have internet access that way. We used Google Voice for phone calls. About $80. for 3 weeks, unlimited data.

You can get a data-only sim for your phone for about $30 for 20GB, or $60 for 31day unlimited data.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

We used mobile hotspot - aka Pocket Wi-Fi which worked well and was super easy. Pick up and drop off the router at airport.

JR (rail) pass was cost effective for us because we took a bullet train (Shinkansen) to Osaka/Kyoto and back. If you’re just tooling around Tokyo, I think it’s optional. You’ll need to buy a transit card (Suica or Passmo) anyway because JR pass doesn’t cover the privately owned subways. In any case, public transportation in Japan is the best. Easier to use as a non-Japanese speaking tourist than many US city systems are as a local.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Lots of great info on this website. https://www.japan-guide.com/
They will even suggest itinerary ideas. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

Second the comment about getting a data-only SIM card (though it requires your phone to be unlocked). Between that and wifi hotspots you should be good.

Regarding train travel, the 7-day JR pass used to be the gold standard tourist deal. It worked out so that if you did a round-trip between Tokyo-Kyoto, that would be enough to make the pass pay for itself. However, it appears that starting October 2023 the JR pass prices are increasing substantially.
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/japan- ... rease.html

It could still be worth it but will require a lot more long-distance travel than before to break even.
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

DW and I recently returned from a 17 day trip to Japan (we have been to Japan quite a few times) in the time period that you are contemplating; end of March and beginning of April. As has been mentioned, that is Cherry Blossom time. It will be very CROWDED at least in the typical tourist spots or well known spot seen on social media. We went anyway but were prepared; find areas where it is less crowded or get up EARLY or go late.

What we did. DW didn't want to change hotels much so I centered the trip on Tokyo and Kyoto. From there we took day drips all over the place. The JR Rail pass is not only very useful but maybe even more so for the convenience factor; you are not in line crowded lines figuring out the ticket machines (a lot of confused looking people). Plus convenience; you can change your mind where you want to go; rain? We never used reservations for the train; get there ahead of time (just a little) and get in the right line; noted on the pavement for non-reserved car. Usually the first 5 cars on longer trains are non-reserved. Yes, the JR Rail pass is having a massive increase in price, but you will be allowed to use the fastest trains and be given discounts for other attractions. There are also many regional JR passes to consider if you will only be in a certain area. Also as mentioned, the IC Cards, Pasmo, Suica or ICoca (there are others but these are the majors) and they are invaluable; can be used for subway, metro , buses, convenience stores, some restaurants; buy them when you arrive at the airport. They are good for 10 years; if you return to Japan in year 9 and load them again, then good for another 10 years! You can reload at the airport, train station and convenience stores. Oh, you can use IC cards for local trains also, but not outside of the area where you embark; cannot go to Kyoto from Tokyo with an IC card. There are rails where you may have to use the IC card; non-JR.

We also used a Mobile Hotspot (Ninja wifi). Check out ToykoCheapo website for useful information. The best website for Japan travel that I have found is INSIDE KYOTO. He has links also to TRULY TOKYO and INSIDE OSAKA. Super useful website for guides, hotels, restaurants, itinerary, day trips, etc. The info is spot on.

Also USE Google Maps and Google Translate; they work great.

If your child likes Japanese anime such as Studio Ghibli, consider the amusement park. I believe they only release ticket reservations on the 10th day of the month before; they disappear almost immediately.

From Tokyo consider day trips to Nikko, Kamakura, Kitchen street (if you like cooking-Kappabashi), or Cherry Blossoms. For the blossoms, the well known sites will be super crowded so consider Sotobori park(mostly locals)., Koishikawa park (super nice). Also you can plan day trips to certain areas in Tokyo such as Kakurazaka. Also take the free fun trip to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building for the 45th floor (huge indoor viewing deck); very enjoyable.
From Kyoto consider day trips to Himeji (castle from 1334) and Mt Shosha (where Tom Cruise filmed part of Last Samurai), Kurama/Kibune (walk through the big temple and up over the mountain and through the Old forrest), cherry blossoms (will require early arrival-we arrived at 7am) at Keage Station/incline, then Google maps to Philosophers Path (must get there early!), Hiroshima, Omihachiman (preserved old merchant area and moat, plus a short cableway up the mountain). There is much more......

Food: too much to say really. Try a good ramen recommendation and have "fun" with buying a ticket at the vending machine; Google translate helps. Also the BIG department stores are worth a trip in themselves as they seem to have everything (especially the basement food floors) and for dependable meals (usually on higher floors); Isetan or Daimaru stores especially.

Probably more than you wanted to know or maybe not appropriate but hopefully it gives you useful information.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
andreas

Post by andreas »

When I was there an international driving license was absolutely necessary to rent a car.

In many countries you technically need one but no one actually cares. In Japan it was different.
kojima

Post by kojima »

Keep note that the Japan Rail Pass will significantly increase in price starting from October 2023.

Also, March and April will be very busy for the Cherry Blossom season. I personally would recommend February or October ~ December for anyone who wants to visit Japan. Autumn is a beautiful time to visit since the weather is mild and the Autumn colors on the leaves are beautiful, more so than the overrated cherry blossoms.

If you really want to see the cherry blossoms, you can go to Kawazu in February since they bloom earlier there.

Besides that, what do you like and want to see while you are there? More nature, city, being more active?
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Many have touched on several aspects already. Forthe activities part, there will be plenty to do, particularly with the child. Be it theme parks (Disney, Sanrio, Ghibli, etc), zoos, toy stores (Kiddyland), and more. Food should not be that difficult either. Most Americans have a warped view of Japanese foods. It is not just sushi and hibachi style stuff. There are analogs of many typical foods in the US. Breaded pork cutlets, numerous ways to prepare fish and meat, soups, etc. Further, western food is everywhere with Italian food being quite popular.
JudgeLess

Post by JudgeLess »

My wife and I just returned from 20 day trip to Japan. Regarding mobile phone use, we used Ubigi, a data only service, for navigation, internet access, and messaging(WhatsApp). You must have a phone that is unlocked and esim capable. The coverage was very good, even in remote areas, and was 5G most of the time. The cost was $18 for 10 gig of data and was good for a month. For us, it was more convenient than wifi hotspot. With extensive use over 20 days I used about 4 gig of data(no downloading of videos, tho).

The Japan official tourism board has a very good app with very helpful information about many locations. The app also is very good for route planning. I found google maps to be very good, but with this app you can automatically exclude options not covered by JR Pass.

I suggest staying at hotels close to subway-rail stations in Tokyo and to rail stations in other cities. Very convenient.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

d0gerz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:17 pm Regarding train travel, the 7-day JR pass used to be the gold standard tourist deal. It worked out so that if you did a round-trip between Tokyo-Kyoto, that would be enough to make the pass pay for itself. However, it appears that starting October 2023 the JR pass prices are increasing substantially.
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/japan- ... rease.html

It could still be worth it but will require a lot more long-distance travel than before to break even.
Came here to say this. The JR Rail Pass used to be a no-brainer. Now it's not a no-brainer anymore.
Topic Author
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:19 pm
KeepItSimple78 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:20 pm Hello Bogleheads,

My future concerns:

Thanks so much!
Food is a big part of travel to certain destinations, Japan being high on that list.

How does the 6 year old handle Japanese cuisine at home?

What is the 6 year old's current travel experience?
Our little one is a great eater and eats whatever we are eating/is available. I don't think we will have a problem finding suitable eats and are looking forward to trying various local restaurants/street food.

As for travel experience, we've done some driving trips on the gulf coast including a 10-hour drive to Disney World. He's also experienced a cruise with us. Decent travel experience for a 6 y/o.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.
Topic Author
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

kojima wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:09 am Keep note that the Japan Rail Pass will significantly increase in price starting from October 2023.

Also, March and April will be very busy for the Cherry Blossom season. I personally would recommend February or October ~ December for anyone who wants to visit Japan. Autumn is a beautiful time to visit since the weather is mild and the Autumn colors on the leaves are beautiful, more so than the overrated cherry blossoms.

If you really want to see the cherry blossoms, you can go to Kawazu in February since they bloom earlier there.

Besides that, what do you like and want to see while you are there? More nature, city, being more active?
All of the above I'd say. We enjoy bring active and have interest in visiting parks/gardens, etc.

My 6 y/o is requesting that we visit Super Nintendo World in Osaka!
Topic Author
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

Thanks so much for all of the responses thus far. You have really given me a lot to think about.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

You will need to check which attractions(museums, amusement parks) require advanced booking. We usually go with tour groups so no problem. However DS and friends went on their own and learned that they could not get into certain venues without reservations. Have a good trip Japan is fantastic.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Before getting a JR rail pass, make sure that you plan your itinerary and price out whether the rail pass will save you money. And, if so, realize that the pass is only a money-saver if you purchase it before you arrive in Japan. One then needs to pick up the pass at a JR station when in Japan. (at least that was the situation the last and only time we purchased it).

Check out http://www.tokyofreeguide.org . Some have posted very positive reviews. Free, available in multiple cities in Japan. Populated by people who want to practice their English.

Are your kids (or you) really loud in public spaces (restaurants, etc.) If so, you will be getting huge stares in Japan. Just an FYI.

For airport-hotel transport, try https://webservice.limousinebus.co.jp/web/en/ Does not go to/from all hotels, but may be an option to consider.

Before going off to explore sites within a city by mass transit, check out the pricing. You may find it less expensive to get a taxi.

Have fun.
MJS

Post by MJS »

KeepItSimple78 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:26 pm Our little one is a great eater and eats whatever we are eating/is available. I don't think we will have a problem finding suitable eats and are looking forward to trying various local restaurants/street food.
A very artistic food, that might also amuse your family :
Atlas Obscura 1 and 2

Atlas Obscura lists 182 unusual places in just Tokyo.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
RandomPointer

Post by RandomPointer »

If you are planning to travel to different cities, Takuhaibin is very convenient. This is a moderately priced next day service, where they will send your luggage to your next hotel. We could travel with only backpacks on the train, and our luggage are waiting for us. Ask for takuhaibin forms from the receptionist, then ask them to fill the form for you.

Takuhaibin is worth it, especially since you will be travelling with a young kid.

Google Maps/Google Translate are your friends. Maps.Me app will give you a downloadable map of Japan for offline use.

I heard you can get eSim, a data only sim card, but you need an unlocked phone. My cell provider offers free data in Japan.

Fidelity debit card reimburses ATM fees, it is a convenient way to get cash. There are a lot of places still require cash.

DisneySea/DisneyLand is a lot of fun. They know how to do entertainment. If you do, I suggest to add a day to take a break in between park visits. Don't visit the park on weekend.

Get comfortable shoes, you may walk a lot. Bring umbrellas, look at the average temperature during that time, if that is too hot, bring battery operated fan for your kid.

Double check if you need reservation to visit a place. Our friend tried to go to Ueno zoo only to discover that they needed a reservation.
Topic Author
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

Plan to stay in Tokyo the first 4 days or so of our trip and have interest in the following activities:

-Half-day private tour with government-licensed guide
-Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
-Meiji Jingu shrine
-Ueno zoo
-Tokyo Metro Government building
-DisneySea
-Tokyo National Museum

Some posters have commented on these already but any additional feedback would be great. Thanks.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

JudgeLess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:31 am Regarding mobile phone use, we used Ubigi, a data only service, for navigation, internet access, and messaging(WhatsApp). You must have a phone that is unlocked and esim capable. The coverage was very good, even in remote areas, and was 5G most of the time. The cost was $18 for 10 gig of data and was good for a month. For us, it was more convenient than wifi hotspot. With extensive use over 20 days I used about 4 gig of data(no downloading of videos, tho).
I have done Japan with a wifi hotspot and with Ubigi. Ubigi is much more convenient. If your phones are e-sim compatible, I recommend it.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

The trains are amazing and always on time.

Climb Mount Fuji if you can.
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

JR pass is not necessarily a no brainer. Both times I went to Japan (5 days each, a bit on the short side), I open jawed Tokyo with Kansas Osaka airport, so a one way Shinkansen Tokyo to Kyoto (followed by local trains and subway) sufficed. The one way was about half the price of a one week JR pass.

Tokyo: way lots to see and do. Your list is good. Definitely go to Shinjuku and Akhibara (my favorite train stations). I can list out many more but you decide.

Kyoto: I will upvote Meiji Jingu and Kiyomizu Dera and downvote the Philosopher’s path (high quantity of shrines, but not much stands out). That aside, you decide what else to see (Kinkakuji is cool but slightly remote, Arashiyama is kind of far, Nijo-no castle is cool).

Want to venture further? Nara is a nice day trip. Osaka’s Dotonbori area is absolutely amazing, but not much else stood out for me there.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

barberakb wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm The trains are amazing and always on time.

Climb Mount Fuji if you can.
Because of the snow most people are going to avoid Mount Fuji until after at least May. So, the OP would be too early in the season.

But to add on to the recommendation for anyone interested, IMHO, the best time to climb Fuji is during Obon. Everybody and their brother is there which would typically make a climbing experience miserable. But, the camaraderie on the mountain is amazing which makes it well worth it instead. For best results plan on starting late the evening before and hiking through the night planning to arrive at the top for sunrise. There are so many people you might very well have to queue for an hour for the last few hundred feet. If you time it right and the weather is favorable you'll see the sun rise above the clouds for sunrise and an epic view. If you search images online for queues on Mount Fuji or sunrise from the summit of Mount Fuji you'll get the idea.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

KeepItSimple78 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:00 pm Plan to stay in Tokyo the first 4 days or so of our trip and have interest in the following activities:

-Half-day private tour with government-licensed guide
-Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
-Meiji Jingu shrine
-Ueno zoo
-Tokyo Metro Government building
-DisneySea
-Tokyo National Museum

Some posters have commented on these already but any additional feedback would be great. Thanks.
- Baseball games are really enjoyable but you might be a bit early
- The Grand Sumo Tournaments. In March this in Osaka.
- Shibuya Crossing
- Shinjuku Station for rush hour
- There are some fertility (phallus) festivals in the Spring that look entertaining. But any festival in Japan is worth going to if it aligns with your time in Japan.
mykesc2022

Post by mykesc2022 »

Hello, bumping as when I researched the BH site for this it turns out I will be going to Japan same time next year, sans kid. Great information thanks you all.

Question tho, with the Rail line pass dramatically increasing to about $350-$550 USD for the 7 & 14 days, would it now be more cost effective to rent a car there? While I can imagine Tokyo is difficult, I drove in Japan many years ago from major city to major city and the in-between was relatively easy and picturesque to boot!

Anyone try renting a car? I am researching that aspect now.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

mykesc2022 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:12 pm Hello, bumping as when I researched the BH site for this it turns out I will be going to Japan same time next year, sans kid. Great information thanks you all.

Question tho, with the Rail line pass dramatically increasing to about $350-$550 USD for the 7 & 14 days, would it now be more cost effective to rent a car there? While I can imagine Tokyo is difficult, I drove in Japan many years ago from major city to major city and the in-between was relatively easy and picturesque to boot!

You can't just buy train tickets as you go? Personally I would not bother renting unless you're going somewhere remote where trains can't get to.
YoungSisyphus

Post by YoungSisyphus »

Just got back from Japan for a two week trip:
1. You can easily load your Suica card to your Apple Wallet, made it really easy to load yen as you go for the train.
2. Be prepared for lots of walking. I was hitting between 5-13 miles a day. Tokyo is extremely walkable which is great, but quite different than sedentary life in the US.
2. Google Translate has a camera function that can translate kanji, etc and makes it really easy to get around.
3. Google Maps does an outstanding job with subway directions and getting around by walking.
4. You can use ATMs at any 7/11 or other convenience store to withdraw yen. This was much cheaper than using currency exchanges. I use a Fidelity CMA and they also refund the ATM fees.
5. I could spend months in Tokyo, really just depends on what you like to do. If you enjoy craft cocktails I’d highly recommend checking out bars in Tokyo. Sunface specializes in Tequila, Jeremiah’s is outstanding, Ben Fiddich was too busy for me to get into.
6. From my experience it is more common for Japanese places to sit 2-3 people max. I wouldn’t bring big groups of people to some of the smaller restaurants unless you have someone that can speak Japanese and help navigate.
7. I loved the Tokyo photography museum, and also the imperial palace garden. More so than the Tokyo museum which was overly crowded - cool to still see the history of Japan though.
8. It’s easier to pack a smaller suitcase than a larger one. Most Japanese don’t pack a huge bag so you will have a more challenging time getting around the bullet trains if you have oversized luggage. Not impossible, just something to consider.
9. If you like nightlife, Warp was a lot of fun in Shinjuku. Circus Tokyo has amazing sets and is considered more ‘underground’.
10. Honestly could spend a significant amount of time just eating… amazing food.
11. A little effort with the language goes a long way. Ohayogozimasu, arigatogozimasu and the other pleasantries are nice to bring a long.
12. Great places to shop in every area. Modi, Daiso (Japanese dollar store), Don Quijote, all very fun.
13. Museum of contemporary art I missed out on because they were closed. Would be on my list otherwise.
14. Outside of imperial garden, there are beautiful english gardens in shinjuku.
15. If you have a young child they may enjoy Hello Kitty World. :) there is also Tokyo Disney.
16. You can easily use an eSim to use local service. I was lazy and just paid $10/day to use my ATT service for unlimited usage. Expensive but convenient.
17. I would definitely not buy the all you can eat train pass unless you plan to move all over the country. I went to Kyoto and the bullet train cost me about $160 back and forth. Riding the subway in Tokyo is negligible.
18. Always pay in yen and have a good international credit card. Dollar is strong right now which is great.
blackbird

Post by blackbird »

I recently visited Japan solo and had a very nice time. I'll offer a few suggestions, seconding several that have already been made.

- I didn't get the rail pass. I traveled from Tokyo to Osaka and then Kyoto and back to Tokyo and just paid for my tickets as I went. The trains are efficient and quite nice.

- No need for currency exchanges except on the way out. I just hit up 7-11 ATMs as needed. I was charged a non-Chase ATM fee of $5 each time but it was still worth it. I cashed out my remaining yen at the airport. Most of the time I used credit cards but it's helpful to have some cash, especially at the markets.

- I took taxis most places but the subway is more affordable and just requires some patience to figure out. Nearly all taxis took credit cards but I did have one that was cash-only.

- I hit up the most popular attractions. Many of them are shrines and temples. Unfortunately, they all started to seem quite similar.

- I went to Tokyo National Museum and recommend it as one of your stops. Ditto Tokyo Tower.

- Kyoto is pretty and quaint. Much different vibe than Tokyo. Recommend going if your plans permit.

- Various markets are also popular destinations. They are fun to check out. They also become a little repetitive. I'm not a big buyer of trinkets and such. Be sure to try out the food.

- Speaking of food, I had a very good experience. Lots of great food. The beef is exceptional. I love Teppanyaki in particular. Interesting different cuisine styles between different places in Japan. You'll enjoy some great meals.

- As for restaurants, I'd highly recommend picking out a few top choices and making reservations ahead of time if you can. If you're staying at nicer hotels, many have good restaurants and reservations fill up in advance. I was disappointed a few times because I couldn't get in. I tried to do too much on the fly.

- I didn't arrange for guided tours. Most places are pretty accessible with English placards. Nonetheless, I'd recommend arranging for at least some in advance. Don't wait until you're there before looking into them. This largely depends on your travel style. If you want to see a lot of everything and optimize your time there, you'll want to do tours. I tend to have a more leisurely pace, so I missed some things.

- I used Google Maps to find highly recommended spots (attractions and restaurants). Google Translate also is very helpful.

- I recommend researching ahead of time how you plan to use cell service. My phone plan doesn't offer international service, so I got a local SIM card at the airport. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good experience. It could just be the one I selected or my phone (Pixel 7a). It only provided coverage sporadically (a few minutes at a time). Certainly disappointed.

Blackbird
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

mykesc2022 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:12 pm Hello, bumping as when I researched the BH site for this it turns out I will be going to Japan same time next year, sans kid. Great information thanks you all.

Most of the places that most people want to visit are quite accessible and quick to get to via public transport. Particularly via the high speed trains. While driving around Japan is certainly viable it really is going to depend on one's itinerary.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

A note about taxis: Some have suggested that local trains/subways are less expensive. My wife and I found taxis actually less expensive when traveling together and/or with a third person.

And, of course, a no-fee Fidelity or Schwab debit card makes repeated ATM withdrawals very painless.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

If you are traveling between cities and have luggage, and especially if you want to stop off mid-way for day sightseeing or just an overnight, do consider the luggage transport services such as Yamoto
https://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands- ... ene02.html

They take luggage from hotel in city A to hotel in City B. They usually pick up at your hotel late afternoon on one day, and have it waiting for your arrival the next day. (I think there is same day service per website.)
Then just take a day pack, or one change of clothing and essentials for that one night and next day, etc.
Leave the luggage at one hotel, and it was typically waiting in our room for us at our next hotel. Convenient!

Their little (?) trucks can be seen everywhere: their logo includes a mother black cat holding a kitten by the scruff of its neck to move it.

That allows you to make some stops or an overnight without your longer-term luggage, which is especially convenient when traveling by train.
And in some hilly areas, those "train" cars are like stairs, with each row of seats on a different level, and the train just goes up and back down diagonally. There's just not much place for a large suitcase (or two) on those.

We found this service to be ideal and wish it were more widespread elsewhere.

In addition to some of the regular sights and cities, we spent two nights at a traditional onsen ryokan (hot springs inn). That was delightful and relaxing.
We spent another two nights at a Buddhist monastery, another very relaxing stay.

I'm not sure the latter two locales would work well with a child, but this might be useful for others reading here.
And the luggage transport might be especially useful for those who do have children with you... one less thing to deal with between cities/sights.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

Interesting thread. I am planning a 12 day trip in November and a good bit of this information will still apply. Thanks.