Planning East Coast Trip (NYC, Boston)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HereToLearn

Re: Planning East Coast Trip (NYC, Boston)

Post by HereToLearn »

Tirebiter wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm
HereToLearn wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:51 pm Can you not pick up a car in Manhattan or do the NYC locations not allow one-way rentals?
I'm not seeing any available, at least not without very steep one-way rental fees. Perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough. I have a few weeks to do some more research.
Darn! I wonder if fees decline if you drop at Logan, not that traveling from Logan will be fun either, but at least you can take a T from there.
rbd789

Post by rbd789 »

Just gonna throw this out there to you, OP. When we were doing college tours with my kids, we learned very quickly to never do more than one the same day. The second, Brown in your case, never got a fair shake as everyone was tired out and going through the motions by that point. Just something to consider. You don't seem to be allowing for much time to decompress between the Yale and Brown visits.
PeninsulaPerson

Post by PeninsulaPerson »

Tirebiter wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:42 pm
... probably ... should have some traffic leeway ...

Plan for none of that working out and be grateful if it does.

Also be sure of the drop-off hours for the car rental return, in case you end up running later than you hope.

Good luck on the trip and please report back on how it all worked out. (Sometimes the stars do align and it's all smooth as creamy peanut butter. But you can't go wrong if your watchword regarding Metro Boston traffic is "unpredictable.")

P.S. Getting that car sounds potentially atrocious. Could you take Amtrak to New Haven and pick up a one-way car there?
PeninsulaPerson

Tirebiter wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:39 am
I am planning a family trip to visit NYC and Boston (and maybe some cities in between) from July 5 through 14.

Just saw your dates again.

On July 5th, the Sumner Tunnel in Boston is closing down for 2 months. (It runs from East Boston/Logan Airport to Boston.)

Don't think this will affect you but it could affect traffic generally in and around the city.

Just so it doesn't come as a complete surprise to you!
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

PeninsulaPerson wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:54 pm
Tirebiter wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:42 pm
Could you take Amtrak to New Haven and pick up a one-way car there?
I returned here to suggest the same. Since you will need to take the train to travel out to White Plains, it would be easier to take MetroNorth to New Haven and avoid the traffic through Westchester and Fairfield counties. There are rental cars available at New Haven station.
PeninsulaPerson

Tirebiter wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm
... at least not without very steep one-way rental fees.

How much is that fee - 'cause it might be worth it!

Also, could you drop the car off in Rhode Island and then Amtrak to Boston? Easier to let Amtrak do the driving. Just a thought!
Topic Author
Tirebiter

Post by Tirebiter »

Apparently there’s an Avis in Greenwich Village that offers reasonably priced car rentals with one-way travel to Boston. So no need to go to Westchester after all. That’s a relief.
market timer

Post by market timer »

I'd suggest dropping Yale and Brown from the itinerary and just visit Harvard. If the 14-year-old is admitted to Yale or Brown later, do a campus visit then.

Consider taking Amtrak to Boston instead of driving.
Jimbo Moneybags

Post by Jimbo Moneybags »

campy2010 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:14 pm Skip the overnight stay in Providence and the night on Cape Cod and stay in Newport RI instead. It has a nice summer New England beach vibe. The old mansions are lovely. Stop at Brown for a few hours on the way up to Boston.
Absolutely agree.

Of course, the "nice summer New England beach vibe" is of the Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, and JP Morgan sort. Think taking the yacht to Newport to summer in a massive 20,000 sq ft "cottage" perched on a cliff overlooking the sea and worth millions even when they were built in the 1900's-1920's. :beer
Circe

Post by Circe »

In NYC, the Museum of Natural History just opened a new building. They renewed several exhibits over the past few years. Friends really liked it.

Also, TKTS if you haven't purchased Broadway tix in advance.

Pre-Covid, I took a Hop On Hop Off bus with friends who have not been to NYC much and it was fun and a decent way to get around. I used to work there many years ago and still liked it.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

Tirebiter wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:15 am Apparently there’s an Avis in Greenwich Village that offers reasonably priced car rentals with one-way travel to Boston. So no need to go to Westchester after all. That’s a relief.
Oh, that's great, although you may want to consider Metro North from Grand Central to New Haven, and then picking up a rental car on your way out of New Haven. You will not need a car in New Haven; you can take an Uber from the train station to your hotel, although it may be easier to pick up the car at the train station to avoid the back & forth in an Uber. Driving in New Haven is very easy, and the hotels offer parking, although I do not if they charge for parking.

The route between Manhattan & New Haven can be awful, depending on the time of day. Trains depart Grand Central every half hour for New Haven.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

HereToLearn wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:45 am
Tirebiter wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:15 am Apparently there’s an Avis in Greenwich Village that offers reasonably priced car rentals with one-way travel to Boston. So no need to go to Westchester after all. That’s a relief.
Oh, that's great, although you may want to consider Metro North from Grand Central to New Haven, and then picking up a rental car on your way out of New Haven. You will not need a car in New Haven; you can take an Uber from the train station to your hotel, although it may be easier to pick up the car at the train station to avoid the back & forth in an Uber. Driving in New Haven is very easy, and the hotels offer parking, although I do not if they charge for parking.

The route between Manhattan & New Haven can be awful, depending on the time of day. Trains depart Grand Central every half hour for New Haven.
I am doing a trip in July, taking metro north to New Rochelle, renting and retuning the car there. Agreed that getting in/out of Manhattan can be hectic
Crom laughs at your Four Winds