How to stop the bank/brokerage advisors from calling us?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Aggieland

How to stop the bank/brokerage advisors from calling us?

Post by Aggieland »

As I get into financial education , I have started to see the numerous principal-agent conflicts that exist in the world.

This month, I got two unsolicited phone calls

- one from the Chase bank. They wanted to see if I can meet with them to discuss my investments and how they could help. This account is our primary checking account that is used to deposit all our funds and then it is routed to various brokerage accounts for investments. So, the bank see the full picture!

Apparently, they call my spouse regularly as well and try to make her meet with them. Is there a way to make them stop calling us for matters that don’t directly relate to checking accounts.

- Td Ameritrade called me to discuss investment opportunities.

May be it is just me, but I feel very uncomfortable these firms pushing there agendas. Training my family not to take the bait is another item I am working on.

Do you encounter similar situations with your banks?
jebmke

Re: How to stop the bank/brokerage advisors from calling us?

Post by jebmke »

Ask them not to call. I did this with my VG rep years ago and they flagged my customer profile as "do not call."
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

As previously mentioned, try asking them not to call.

However you really just have to accept that you will get all sorts of sales calls (financial, solar , energy provider, ...) and have to get comfortable in saying NO.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I answer my phone with a very lugubrious "this is B-__-----". I count to 2 and hang up.

If an actual person answers, I curtly tell them to take me off their list.

Being rude is working out for me. Give it a shot.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Aggieland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:17 pmDo you encounter similar situations with your banks?
Not really. When they call, I try to sell them financial advice. They stopped calling me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Aggieland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:17 pm Apparently, they call my spouse regularly as well and try to make her meet with them.
Just saying that you are not interested or do not want to talk to them is not enough for legitimate companies since they can call you again.

The magic words are. "Please place me on your do not call list."

In theory they are not suppose to call you again after you tell them that and there are even people who have a hobby of suing companies that violate that rule.

Of course that does not work with spam companies that are calling from outside the US who are using spoofed phone numbers and company names but legitimate companies will usually stop calling.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Aggieland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:17 pm As I get into financial education , I have started to see the numerous principal-agent conflicts that exist in the world.

This month, I got two unsolicited phone calls

- one from the Chase bank. They wanted to see if I can meet with them to discuss my investments and how they could help. This account is our primary checking account that is used to deposit all our funds and then it is routed to various brokerage accounts for investments. So, the bank see the full picture!

Apparently, they call my spouse regularly as well and try to make her meet with them. Is there a way to make them stop calling us for matters that don’t directly relate to checking accounts.

- Td Ameritrade called me to discuss investment opportunities.

May be it is just me, but I feel very uncomfortable these firms pushing there agendas. Training my family not to take the bait is another item I am working on.

Do you encounter similar situations with your banks?
I tell them I am DIY investor and I am not interested. I get 1 call a year from Merrill (I have a Merrill Edge account). When I used to work at a large law firm and had my contact info on a public website, I used to get cold calls every other month at my work number with these types of solicitations. I would tell them the same thing.
CuriousGeorgeTx

Post by CuriousGeorgeTx »

I have had success with the following:

With Schwab, I had a frank discussion with my contact: I don’t ever want you to push something on me or my family. I will move everything to another firm if you try. We talk about once a year and he behaves himself, and is available for the rare occasion that I need help getting some part of Schwab to do their job.

More generally, I have my mobile phone set such that if you are not in my contacts, you go straight to voicemail. When possible, I use another number, a VOIP that goes to voicemail, of which I get a transcription in an email.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I previously had a very nice Vanguard rep who was available and helped with a couple of problems.

The new one won't answer questions, he just wants me to call him. Then he pushes financial planning on me which I don't want since I have an independent CFP review the thorny issues from time to time for my whole portfolio.

I guess I need to request a different person.
Indexed Fully!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

1) I hang up on them
2) I go to "info" and hit "block caller"

In your case, I would withdraw all of my money from Chase and find a credit union to better serve you.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

If you have a 3 y/o in the house hand the phone to him/her and ask them to tell the caller a story and to keep talking until they hang up. A detailed story about potty training would be good.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

I think I was permanently put on the “do not call” list when my bank one time some years back called (was actually regarding a mortgage app I think) and I mistakenly answered thinking it was my buddy by yelling “Whats up (2 word explicative)!!?? 😱 :oops: :oops: yes I used to have a bit of a potty mouth. Anyhow we keep maybe $3000 between checking/savings and everything else goes out to expenses or Vanguard and haven’t been solicited. Although several years ago I met with the bank’s advisor after I initiated interest and all I remember is that the guy said his people at Blackrock know how to beat the market consistently. Thank goodness for bogleheads!!!
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

At least with a phone call you cam tell them to stop calling you. But how do I stop Vanguard from spamming my hotmail email inbox trying to sell me PAS?
Tyrael314

Post by Tyrael314 »

I simply do not answer the phone for a number I do not recognize (personal phone). I carry a personal phone and a work phone (that is paid for). If it's a number that is a salesman or some sort of scam I block the number and keep it moving.

I have issues with recruiters calling my work phone and emailing me consistently. Not much I can do as I Have to answer for numbers I don't recognize regularly.
"A society grows great when old men plants trees under whose shade they know they shall never sit."
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Meh - I’m not that bothered by it and try not to become emotionally engaged by it.

I rarely answer the phone unless cleared by Caller ID. Then, “No thank you, not interested” if I foolishly pick up. I don’t find joy or relief in being verbally hostile to a telephone marketer who probably earns less in a year doing a job they don’t like than what many here get on a good market day.
miket29

Post by miket29 »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:08 pm I rarely answer the phone unless cleared by Caller ID.
Caller ID is easily spoofed. Overseas spammers don't know your friends or your dentist so when Caller ID says it is them calling it probably really is them, but the phone numbers of banks and government agencies are easily looked up and spoofed. Another common spoof is called "neighbor spoofing"; the call will look like it's from your same area code and same 3-digit prefix as if its some neighbor with just a slightly different number.

Unless I have reason to think the Caller ID number is real I don't answer the call.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't answer the phone. Works every time. The only calls I answer are ones from people listed in my contact list.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

We have an AT& T landline (works in event of power failure and was quite useful during catastrophic fires in California over the last several years when cell towers went down) and are too frugal to have caller ID.

I generally answer all phone calls. I can usually tell if it is a sales call or a business/ medical call I want to take. If I'm not sure or know it's a sales call I respond to the "how are you today?" with a brisk "what is it you need?" I'm starting to ask that question automatically more and more with all calls. I always ask that question if a caller asks for my spouse. "What is it that you need?"

It's quite easy to go forward once I receive a response. Obviously if it's a call I want to take I can proceed. Otherwise I firmly and clearly request "remove my name from your call list." I never get any pushback, often a hangup.
There should be no problem doing this with banks, brokerages and other entities with whom one is currently doing business. If they do not comply, either write, call or wait for the next call and threaten to move your account.

Lately with a few persistent "Medicare scam" phone calls -One can almost always tell if it is a sales call or not, at least I can--I have been telling folks "there's no such person at this number" in hopes I will get my name off a master for-purchase sales list. I find letting the call go to voicemail only delays it and they keep trying. Last week I made the mistake of saying that to a doctor's office calling for an appointment reminder but it was easy to recover and we laughed together.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

"Is this a sales call?"
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

miket29 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:54 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:08 pm I rarely answer the phone unless cleared by Caller ID.
Caller ID is easily spoofed. Overseas spammers don't know your friends or your dentist so when Caller ID says it is them calling it probably really is them, but the phone numbers of banks and government agencies are easily looked up and spoofed. Another common spoof is called "neighbor spoofing"; the call will look like it's from your same area code and same 3-digit prefix as if its some neighbor with just a slightly different number.

Unless I have reason to think the Caller ID number is real I don't answer the call.
To me “Cleared by Caller ID” means positive identification as a known contact that is worthy of my immediate attention. Spoofing isn’t a concern unless they’re spear phishing me, and I’m frankly not important enough for this to be a problem.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The only phone number I give is my Google Voice number and when it rings I don’t answer and I ignore their email.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

Do not answer the phone.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:04 pm I don't answer the phone. Works every time. The only calls I answer are ones from people listed in my contact list.
^^This.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
sport

Post by sport »

If I answer the phone, instead of "hello" I say "who's calling?". If I don't like the answer, I just hang up.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

If you all use IPhones there is a feature that will silence all calls from numbers not in your phonebook, the caller gets the opportunity to leave a voicemail or send a text. I feel like it should be the default phone functionality
Last edited by hoofaman on Sun May 28, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Tell them to put you in their do not call list. Or to take you off of their call list. By law they have to take you off the list. Any reputable company will do this. This is very easy to solve.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

With Chase, I got that type of call only once in recent years - they don't keep calling (at least in my case). They do send a lot of emails plugging promos and brokerage services. Both have spanned a 5-year period with brief high bank balances, very low bank balances, and low balances with large "passing through" transactions too. So it doesn't seem to be related to account "potential", or lack thereof. Besides, I could even eliminate the emails I do get simply by changing my online preferences (see Profile and Settings, then Marketing email preferences and privacy preferences). Phone calls, I suppose, would need your verbal do-not-call request.

I bank with other banks, and have never (yet) gotten sales calls. Never, although I'm sure it varies.

Broker-wise, Schwab basically never calls, except a welcomed "touch base" call every 1/2 year or year from an assigned rep. Now that I am temporarily rep-less, those have disappeared. But I know they would respect a do-not-call request if I ever made one. I doubt if any broker will just keep calling, particularly if asked. But there is always one, I guess. You just need to make your expectations very clear.

In general, here is what has helped us minimize all intrusions:
dropped landline
use all the filter and blockers Google offers for phones (we have Pixel phones, otherwise some carriers are getting better at this too), and for email
use Google Voice when I know someone will be a problem child. I almost always "know"
use a separate email address for people without an ongoing need
never answer from unknown numbers unless I'm expecting a relevant call

When I figured that our HOA directory was a source of some local telemarketing calls, I posted a non-existent number in our directory. Wow, that made a difference.

In the last few years, our experience with nuisance phone calls of all types has gotten from massively annoying to almost non-existent. Knock on wood, it seems the problems were solved.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

If you have an account with them, just thank them for their call, tell them that you are a DIY'er, and ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list. If you don't have an account with them, that's what Unknown ID phone blockers are for.

Fidelity calls me once a year, and politely asks if it was ok if they call again next year, just to see if anything has changed.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

DetroitRick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:01 pm.

When I figured that our HOA directory was a source of some local telemarketing calls, I posted a non-existent number in our directory. Wow, that made a difference.

In the last few years, our experience with nuisance phone calls of all types has gotten from massively annoying to almost non-existent. Knock on wood, it seems the problems were solved.
Are you saying your HOA is selling the phone numbers of members?
JCH10400

Post by JCH10400 »

I also don't answer the phone unless it's from a known number.

Several years ago I was getting frequent, unwanted calls from the TD Ameritrade Rancho Cucamonga office (about 40 miles from me). I would explain that I didn't heed any assistance or calls, and that would usually stop the calls for 3 or 4 months. Then they got a new guy who decided he was going to call me every week. Asking him to stop and my having a discussion with the branch manager didn't work, so I ended up calling the main customer service number and reporting the annoying calls. That and a few customer service surveys where I gave that office the lowest possible ratings stopped the calls. I'm assuming I wasn't the only one to give them low ratings - Schwab closed the office when they bought Ameritrade.

I was on the FINRA site not too long ago and looked up the branch manager I had spoken to. Ended up he filed bankruptcy, turned in his license, and moved out of state.
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

Nate79 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:49 pmBut how do I stop Vanguard from spamming my hotmail email inbox trying to sell me PAS?
With legit spammers (companies where you have an account), just click the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email.

With shady scammer spammers, just click the "Spam" button on the webmail interface.
meebers

Post by meebers »

If I accidentally answer a call and its one that I should have not, I say "would you please hold for a minute while I locate my CallBlock button" and then say found it...Click.
Last edited by meebers on Sun May 28, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

JCH10400 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 pm I also don't answer the phone unless it's from a known number.
I take it a step further:

Most of the time, my cellphone ringer is OFF. People can leave a voicemail. Every 30 minutes or so, I'll want to take a break from looking at a computer screen, and that's when I'll stretch out, walk around, check my email, check my cellphone for SMS text messages & voicemails.

I only turn on my cellphone ringer when I'm expecting an important call.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:14 pm
DetroitRick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:01 pm.

Are you saying your HOA is selling the phone numbers of members?
No. They do not, and "forbid" commercial use. But some clown gets the directory and does what they choose to. It only takes one.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

I just say politely that if they ever cold call me again to try to sell me something, I will move the assets to a different provider. That usually stops it.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:04 pm I don't answer the phone. Works every time. The only calls I answer are ones from people listed in my contact list.
Yes, this is the answer.

If the caller really, really wants to talk to me, he/she can leave a message. I can then decide whether or not to return the call.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
stan1

Post by stan1 »

It is usually pretty easy to stop calls from reputable companies like Chase and TD. I have accounts at several large banks; none call me but I do carefully review each one's privacy and marketing preferences.

Go to your account online and look at the privacy and communications/marketing preferences. Set those to "no" calls (and no US Mail too if you like).

Or, next time they call just ask them to put you on their do not call list.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Let it roll to voicemail. Only answer calls from a known number. Easy.....
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

1. Examine your account’s privacy and communications settings. Turn off marketing.
2. Contact vendor and tell them to put you on do not call list. Warn them you will close account if they’ll call.
3. Block their number.

Do not use government’s do not call list. Vendors can call anyone with a relationship.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Stinky wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:26 pm
Yes, this is the answer.

If the caller really, really wants to talk to me, he/she can leave a message. I can then decide whether or not to return the call.
This.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Stinky wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:26 pm
Yes, this is the answer.

Not sure, my branch manager keeps calling if I don't answer, as this is some Know Your Customer thing they have to do. I'd rather call him back once and be done with for a year. I want to maintain a good relationship anyway.
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

Before one of my banks was bought out, I had to remind them several times I didn’t want to be bothered. They ignored me and kept it up. After a couple of outbound electronic transfers, that fixed the problem.

I didn’t answer the phone for the banks or even the credit union. They would wait for me to go into the branch to slide in their sales pitch. I found the easiest way to discourage them is to take one of their deposit slips and write three numbers on it with the leaky bank pen:

“This is my overall expense ratio including my tax preparation.”
“This is the amount I pay for sales commissions and reinvestment fees.”
“This is what I pay for account management and recordkeeping fees. You can’t beat that.”

It always ends the discussion…… No more pesky bank people.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

Do you use an IPhone? There is an option to send all unknown callers not in your contacts list to voicemail
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
beyou

Post by beyou »

CuriousGeorgeTx wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:01 pm I have had success with the following:
More generally, I have my mobile phone set such that if you are not in my contacts, you go straight to voicemail. When possible, I use another number, a VOIP that goes to voicemail, of which I get a transcription in an email.
Same here.
rob

Post by rob »

Yarlonkol12 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:53 pm Do you use an IPhone? There is an option to send all unknown callers not in your contacts list to voicemail
Not just iphone.

You can also have one of the "assistants" pick up and ask what caller wants.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

I ask them if they have accepted (in the preacheriest voice I can muster), if they have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior? Then pepper them with annoying personal questions for a solid five minutes. - Have they gotten a colonoscopy recently? What’s their father’s hat size? Have they had any genetic DNA testing to screen for undiagnosed diseases? When was the last time that were screened for oral cancer? Did you know that you can get a coupon code for erectile disfunction medications? Have you had your water heater checked my a licensed and bonded plumbing professional?
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
Angel of Empire

Post by Angel of Empire »

I never answer an unknown number. I assumed everyone did the same.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

Tell them your only free times are during lunch and if they want to buy you lunch at [fancy steakhouse] you'd give them an hour of your time. Then get a free steak and take some extra sides home, and don't agree to anything. Rinse and repeat until they stop calling.
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The National Do Not Call Registry, https://www.donotcall.gov , still exists. If you want to Do Something, you could spend ten minutes and report the call. To make the strongest case involves recordkeeping, because ideally you would like to log two complaints. First, you complain about a call and say that you told them not to call again. Then, you complain about them calling you again, noting that you told them not to on m/d/yyyy. Of course you need the number that called you, and the more information you have about the offender, the better (if it was a local office, address of that specific office).

The problem is that if you have an existing business relationship with a place it may be OK for them to call you.

I used to use this website regularly but gave up because it was clear that the majority of the junk calls I was getting were from overseas scofflaws, with forced caller ID, who weren't afraid of the FTC. But a genuine US business would probably take the complaint seriously.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue May 30, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't answer any unsolicited phone calls from people that aren't in my contact list.