Water stains on Bedroom ceiling - make insurance claim or call handyman?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

Water stains on Bedroom ceiling - make insurance claim or call handyman?

Post by atlanta_dad »

One of the 2nd floor bedroom (above that is attic) in my single family home has water stains for the last few years (I need to check if the stains are becoming larger each year). Another bedroom in the same floor is extremely cold in winters and extremely hot in summers. Not sure if these two issues are related.

Should I first call the roofer(or a handyman?) to seal around all the pipes on the roof and wait for sometime to see if the stains do not get larger and the issue is fixed? Usually how many pipes go through the roof? And what should I expect to pay for this job? At what point should I replace /repaint the stained ceiling drywall?

OR should I make a claim with hazard insurance as the roof is 20 years old and it may need replacement? Is 20 years a normal time to replace the roof? Do the insurance company pay for the roof replacement?

Thank you!
alpenglow

Re: Water stains on Bedroom ceiling - make insurance claim or call handyman?

Post by alpenglow »

I had this happen. There was a rip in the vent pipe boot. It was an easy fix and definitely not worthy of an insurance claim.

I used a product like this. Still good 10 years later.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perma-Boot- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

alpenglow wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:10 am I had this happen. There was a rip in the vent pipe boot. It was an easy fix and definitely not worthy of an insurance claim.

I used a product like this. Still good 10 years later.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perma-Boot- ... lsrc=aw.ds
We had something similar, except the flashing around the pipe had rusted/corroded thru. The roofer/handyman removed a several roof tiles, replaced the flashing & boot, sealed it, & painted to match the other pipes. Cost was $300 in SoCal. Been dry ever since.

I covered the BR ceiling stain with a white stain-blocking primer.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Leaving water stains for several years is a very bad idea. You’re asking for mold or mildew issues and some insurers or policies may not cover damage from known leaks that have been left unrepaired.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

A good handyman can fix the roof leak. If the ceiling is flat white, a primer like Zinsser 123 can likely cover the stains.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

duplicate
Last edited by ClevrChico on Sun May 28, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Water damage isn’t usually covered by homeowners insurance if it is the result of a lack of maintenance, such as a leaking pipe or roof that could have been prevented. And no, I don't believe that your HO policy will cover roof replacement just because it's at or near the end of its life (if it's a 20-year roof); I believe you're usually covered only if the damage or destruction results from a sudden accident or act of nature. Per Investopedia, "Problems that ensue from general wear and tear or from a roof that has exceeded its intended life span are not eligible for reimbursement because they fall under the general maintenance responsibility of the homeowner."
Gradient Descent

Post by Gradient Descent »

I seriously doubt the homeowners insurance would pay a penny unless the damage were associated with a disaster or similar. Roofs age and homeowners have to pay to replace them. Just like everything else in the house. Insurance won’t cover that. You may be thinking of a home warranty?

Also, as with any insurance, you should be strategic as to when you submit claims. Claims may raise your rates in the future, offsetting any immediate benefits.

Call a few reputable roofers or handymen and see if you can get some opinions and quotes for repairs, which you will probably have to pay yourself.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

If you are confident the source of the leak is fixed and assuming your ceilings are painted white, you can also try dabbing the water stain with diluted chlorine bleach. May take a couple applications. This works surprisingly well, and is easier than painting and color-matching. There are a lot of whites.