Log splitter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LoopMan1

Log splitter

Post by LoopMan1 »

We love to use our wood stove in the winter, and I enjoy splitting and chopping the firewood needed. I'm looking to purchase a fairly robust log splitter, preferably electric, to handle log splitting. Logs are 10 to 12 inches in diameter. Any recommendations are welcome!
Cheez-It Guy

Re: Log splitter

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

If cost is not an issue and if you want a good quality Made In USA splitter with plenty of power, I think this is your best bet:

https://www.swisherinc.com/ls22e-timber ... itter.html

But better pricing here:

https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/prod ... -eco-split

I've been eyeing it for a while, but the gas splitter just keeps going. But every time I dance with the prevailing winds to avoid sucking exhaust or the hydraulic fluid froths up and overflows onto the ground when it is slightly less than level, I wonder why we're still messing with this thing.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I hand split for decades and a few years ago, finally spent the money on a 25 ton splitter I bought from Tractor Supply. Instead of splitting a couple cords and selling off a couple unsplit cords, I'm able to pretty easily split 10 cords a season now.

Part of this depends on what you're splitting and when. If it's dry, easy to split stuff like maybe Beech or the like, anything might work. If it's relatively green or wet oak, maple or cedar, I don't see an electric getting the job done. Read reviews on anything you're considering. Most review sites have some bad reviews and you might find things that are bad about a certain unit. My splitter was relatively cheap at like $975 on sale at Tractor Supply. I looked for US built stuff first and for preferred engines to drive the thing but in the end, I really prefer to see the actual unit, which I saw before buying.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
TryToRetire

Post by TryToRetire »

We heat only with firewood by choice (free! Minus chainsaw gas and such)

We’ve had a log splitter we bought from rural king and have used it for 5 years with no issues- black diamond 25t. It is run from the 3pt mount on our tractor hydraulics tho and can’t speak to how that affects reliability. We would buy it again.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:27 pm I hand split for decades and a few years ago, finally spent the money on a 25 ton splitter I bought from Tractor Supply. Instead of splitting a couple cords and selling off a couple unsplit cords, I'm able to pretty easily split 10 cords a season now.

Part of this depends on what you're splitting and when. If it's dry, easy to split stuff like maybe Beech or the like, anything might work. If it's relatively green or wet oak, maple or cedar, I don't see an electric getting the job done. Read reviews on anything you're considering. Most review sites have some bad reviews and you might find things that are bad about a certain unit. My splitter was relatively cheap at like $975 on sale at Tractor Supply. I looked for US built stuff first and for preferred engines to drive the thing but in the end, I really prefer to see the actual unit, which I saw before buying.
If you buy a cheap Chinese electric one, probably not. We've got a 16-ton gasoline model with a Tecumseh engine. Purchased either in late 1980s or early 1990s. It has been worked hard and split almost everything we've ever thrown at it including super-wet gum, hickory, and knotty oak. But we have broken the wedge off 2 or 3 times and got it re-welded. Last welder did an excellent job, so it SHOULD last.

The electric splitter I linked above is 22-ton (38% higher than our already reliable gas model), so I have trouble believing it wouldn't be up to any practical splitting task. We have a Swisher brand 4-way splitting wedge for appropriate diameter straight-grained wood, and it's very beefy, so I expect the same quality from their splitters.
Last edited by Cheez-It Guy on Mon May 29, 2023 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

I haven’t seen ansuggestion for renting a splitter. $35 for four hours. I’m able to get my yearly needs met. Split and burn about three cord yearly. Hearth.com is a great resource.
PS: A little off topic plug for wood burning, stick with wood as a heat source. For me it’s the social aspect when family and friends are together to enjoy. Wood heating is not something you see often. Good exercise.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but for 10-12" diameter rounds, have you tried a maul?

I can split 12"-16" rounds just using a maul, as long as the wood isn't wet.

Most of the wood I make into firewood is Western Hemlock, Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce, Big Leaf Maple, Red Alder, and some Western Red Cedar trees that we have thinned due to tree health issues.

(we have an acre of forest with about 50 trees over 20 feet tall, and of those about 20 are over 100 feet)

Occasionally I'll use a wedge if the round is bigger or has a giant knot.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Agree, hand splitting is the best green method. Not to mention the hard body you’ll have. Never tried it myself but my excuse is ponderosa pine which doesn’t lend itself well to hand splitting.Still a great idea for some.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

hvaclorax wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:02 pm Agree, hand splitting is the best green method. Not to mention the hard body you’ll have. Never tried it myself but my excuse is ponderosa pine which doesn’t lend itself well to hand splitting.Still a great idea for some.
3 for 1 deal!

1. Good workout
2. Saves on capital expenditure and operating costs of splitter
3. Satisfaction and pride that you made firewood the way your grandaddy would have
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Topic Author
LoopMan1

Post by LoopMan1 »

Wonderful information! I split a combo of soft woods and hard woods. I do what I can by hand with a maul and axe, and love it. But as I'm getting on a bit, my right shoulder tells me this isn't perhaps the best idea, but as I'm retired I do have the time to split up sessions and let my shoulder calm down. I was considering electric, but given feedback, might have to look for a gas unit. I was looking at this unit, which gets decent reviews:https://www.lowes.com/pd/YARDMAX-9-Ton- ... 5013254469

Renting is an option, but I have no way of getting the splitter from the rental place to my wood pile.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:56 pm
The electric splitter I linked above is 22-ton (38% higher than our already reliable gas model), so I have trouble believing it wouldn't be up to any practical splitting task. We have a Swisher brand 4-way splitting wedge for appropriate diameter straight-grained wood, and it's very beefy, so I expect the same quality from their splitters.
I looked up reviews and splitting time and this is quite impressive. I don't know how a 120V electric motor does this, but I guess it does. The 2 downsides I see are that you need to be close to a 120V plug and the thing is wicked expensive (over 3 times what I paid for mine). It wouldn't work for me as I hook mine to my tractor and move it near a downed tree when it's something big. Just did a 22" diameter oak that my tractor bucket was pretty stressed moving just one cut piece, so rather than carting pieces back down the hill 200 yards, I moved the splitter to get that tree done then moved it back.

I looked into 3 point hitch splitters but never found one that wasn't either overly expensive or required more than the hydraulics of my tractor (a little Kubota BX1860) could handle. I asked my tractor store who told me to go to a gas engine model because of this.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

watchnerd wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:12 pm
hvaclorax wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:02 pm Agree, hand splitting is the best green method. Not to mention the hard body you’ll have. Never tried it myself but my excuse is ponderosa pine which doesn’t lend itself well to hand splitting.Still a great idea for some.
3 for 1 deal!

1. Good workout
2. Saves on capital expenditure and operating costs of splitter
3. Satisfaction and pride that you made firewood the way your grandaddy would have
4. Warms you up so you need less firewood.

I remember reading a Wright Brothers biography quoting one of them about this benefit in a letter home to their sister.

Of course, the wood still needs to season regardless of how you split it, and splitting by hand isn't great for anyone with joint issues.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:38 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:56 pm
I looked up reviews and splitting time and this is quite impressive. I don't know how a 120V electric motor does this, but I guess it does. The 2 downsides I see are that you need to be close to a 120V plug and the thing is wicked expensive (over 3 times what I paid for mine). It wouldn't work for me as I hook mine to my tractor and move it near a downed tree when it's something big. Just did a 22" diameter oak that my tractor bucket was pretty stressed moving just one cut piece, so rather than carting pieces back down the hill 200 yards, I moved the splitter to get that tree done then moved it back.

I looked into 3 point hitch splitters but never found one that wasn't either overly expensive or required more than the hydraulics of my tractor (a little Kubota BX1860) could handle. I asked my tractor store who told me to go to a gas engine model because of this.
Yeah, sounds like you have the best option for your circumstances. Basically, I'm just pining after the model I posted. I don't have it (yet). It's the most expensive electric splitter, but probably also the best. I'd rather buy it for life. I'm tired of sucking exhaust and dealing with starting issues and all the other potential problems with small gas engines. Most commonly, we block up wood and take it to a designated area for splitting and stacking. That results in less total handling of split pieces. It would be super-easy to split right beside where you stack if you didn't need to worry about exhaust plumes. Probably should run on a designated 20-amp outlet, optionally with a heavy-duty extension cord. We happen to have a designated exterior outlet just a couple feet from the circuit breaker box on the one exposed side of a full basement. We often store the wood along the retaining walls. Wood stove in the basement. It's a good setup for this. Could even split indoors, I guess.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Got my father a Ryobi exactly like this https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396022691 about 15 years ago. It's done everything we've ever asked of it. Never had a problem. Larger logs take a bit longer to chip away at, but they eventually go. Takes up very little storage space. I'd buy again, but the thing never dies!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Or (tongue in cheek), make your own.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ks_lbtgJSw Any time I need a good chuckle, I watch the monstrosity at 1:53, even though the camera is sped up it's scary.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

LoopMan1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:47 am Wonderful information! I split a combo of soft woods and hard woods. I do what I can by hand with a maul and axe, and love it. But as I'm getting on a bit, my right shoulder tells me this isn't perhaps the best idea, but as I'm retired I do have the time to split up sessions and let my shoulder calm down. I was considering electric, but given feedback, might have to look for a gas unit. I was looking at this unit, which gets decent reviews:https://www.lowes.com/pd/YARDMAX-9-Ton- ... 5013254469

Renting is an option, but I have no way of getting the splitter from the rental place to my wood pile.
Comes attached to a trailer. All you need is a receiver hitch and ball easy Peezy our local guys help load and unload. I don’t unhook it from the truck on site.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

You mean you can split wood at home without swinging a maul?

I just looked it up. Those expensive ones are space takers. I guess it beats swinging if your body hurts, though. Or if you're a weak 10 swinger like me vs. a 3 swinger like the person I rely on to split wood when needed.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

There are woods you CANNOT split by hand with a maul. Also woods and conditions of wood where the wedge likes to bounce out.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:28 pm There are woods you CANNOT split by hand with a maul. Also woods and conditions of wood where the wedge likes to bounce out.
I spent years splitting several very large oaks and maples that I had cut down by hand. I used several types of splitting wedges, a sledge hammer, and a maul.
Maybe oaks and maples aren't those woods you speak of.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

SmileyFace wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:36 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:28 pm There are woods you CANNOT split by hand with a maul. Also woods and conditions of wood where the wedge likes to bounce out.
I spent years splitting several very large oaks and maples that I had cut down by hand. I used several types of splitting wedges, a sledge hammer, and a maul.
Indeed. Oaks and maples are straight-grained.

I'm thinking more of sweetgum and elm which both have twisted and interlocking grains. Good luck splitting large rounds of those varieties by hand.
mark_in_denver

Post by mark_in_denver »

Op
I just split 5 cords of green oak again for next year using my gas splitter, been doing this for decades. I'm older and have nothing to prove to do anything via hand. I would just go to a big box and look at the build quality and make your decision there. 10-12 inch won't require much power. The more powerful splitters are heavier too.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

My advice still applies. Rent for $30-40 per half day. No storage issues. Easy to haul to your site. Power to split anything you can lift up to the split carrier. With 2-3 persons we split and stack about 3 cord. With 2 people we split and stack it later. Usually my job after I return the splitter.
BTW I recommend looking at the inventory at your local rental store. You might be surprised to see many infrequently used tools available. Price is reasonable. No storage or maintenance. Not to mention the cost if you were to buy new. Our local A1 is extremely helpful for loading and unloading to keep you from wasting time. Ladders, frame nail guns, trailers and snow blowers. They supply tools to local contractors so I know they must be good.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:50 pm

I'm thinking more of sweetgum and elm which both have twisted and interlocking grains. Good luck splitting large rounds of those varieties by hand.
I've used a maul and wedges to split wood for years. Sweetgum can be split, but not using the same technique as with oak. Use the maul to "flake" slabs off the side of the round until the center gets down to a manageable size. It usually can be split, or it may be small enough by then to handle. The ash from sweetgum is a bit problematic, as it's fluffy and white and makes a mess when you handle it.

When your wedge bounces out of the crack, try rubbing it in the dirt before reinserting.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

wabbott wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:49 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:50 pm

I've used a maul and wedges to split wood for years. Sweetgum can be split, but not using the same technique as with oak. Use the maul to "flake" slabs off the side of the round until the center gets down to a manageable size. It usually can be split, or it may be small enough by then to handle. The ash from sweetgum is a bit problematic, as it's fluffy and white and makes a mess when you handle it.

When your wedge bounces out of the crack, try rubbing it in the dirt before reinserting.
Thanks for the tips. We've had some gum stumps and rounds that were too large for even two people to lift onto the splitter, and so we pre-split to get them light enough to safely lift using a method similar to what you described. I suppose I should not have been so unequivocal that you CAN'T split it by hand. A better assessment would be that it's a royal pain to split it. Even with the hydraulic splitter, gum will be straight on the side where the wedge enters the log (effectively where the wedge cuts it) and dramatically toothed on the other side, which also creates a stacking challenge. I think the best results might come when the wood is recently cut AND frozen.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

hvaclorax wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:17 pm My advice still applies. Rent for $30-40 per half day. No storage issues. Easy to haul to your site.
Sounds like you have a really good rental place in your area. Out of curiosity, I checked Home Depot and one other rental place in my area: $79 or $82 for 4 hours.

Also, Loopman1 didn't indicate what vehicle they drive. In the US market, most compact cars now state in their manuals not to use them for towing. It's strange, because the same car in other countries will often have a smaller engine, but be rated for 500 to 1000 pounds towing capacity.

With that said, if they can get a hitch, it is a worthwhile point that the cost of getting a hitch and the cost of renting would take many years to exceed the cost of buying a heavy duty splitter. There is a loss of convenience, but as you noted, the flip side to that consideration is no storage issue.
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:47 am I think the best results might come when the wood is recently cut AND frozen.
I forgot about the trick of splitting when wood is frozen.

I usually end up collecting wood in the spring, though, and splitting during warm weather. A coworker who doesn't burn recently talked me into taking some knotty sycamore off his hands, which is my first experience with this species. It's remarkably tough, and some of the knots are huge. Maybe I'll try setting it aside to split this winter, rather than noodling it.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:24 pm
hvaclorax wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:17 pm My advice still applies. Rent for $30-40 per half day. No storage issues. Easy to haul to your site.
Sounds like you have a really good rental place in your area. Out of curiosity, I checked Home Depot and one other rental place in my area: $79 or $82 for 4 hours.

Also, Loopman1 didn't indicate what vehicle they drive. In the US market, most compact cars now state in their manuals not to use them for towing. It's strange, because the same car in other countries will often have a smaller engine, but be rated for 500 to 1000 pounds towing capacity.

With that said, if they can get a hitch, it is a worthwhile point that the cost of getting a hitch and the cost of renting would take many years to exceed the cost of buying a heavy duty splitter. There is a loss of convenience, but as you noted, the flip side to that consideration is no storage issue.
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:47 am I think the best results might come when the wood is recently cut AND frozen.
I forgot about the trick of splitting when wood is frozen.

I usually end up collecting wood in the spring, though, and splitting during warm weather. A coworker who doesn't burn recently talked me into taking some knotty sycamore off his hands, which is my first experience with this species. It's remarkably tough, and some of the knots are huge. Maybe I'll try setting it aside to split this winter, rather than noodling it.
Maybe many can’t or don’t wish to tow. Of course they wouldn’t if they can’t or don’t want to. I’m referring to the ones who may wish to buy but haven’t considered or invested rentals. At least give them a call. $80 yearly means 20+ years to pay for a $2000 splitter. Don’t knock it till you try. Give ‘em a try.
Storage space and maintenance are other sources of savings. I’m trying to understand why a simple suggestion for an alternative approach is declined by someone who doesn’t know how many of us Bogleheads own vehicles with towing capability.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Just today I rented the splitter from A1. It broke down about one hour after I started. I took it back, was given full refund and then another functional machine to continue my project. All told $50 plus gas to and from. So it’s not a Bogleheads investment to buy rather than rent. Payback for purchase is 20 years. Not to mention maintenance and repairs and storage expenses. BTW one 4 hour session is enough to supply all my needs, 3 cords yearly.
HVAC
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

I know of a couple of people who are now missing fingers from carelessness with these things. That is the likely reason that rentals aren't that available.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

They are available.
Injuries occur with many household, workshop, and yard maintenance tools.
Read, understand, and follow all safety precautions.
Sorry OP to get so far off subject.
HVAC
Watty

Post by Watty »

hvaclorax wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:36 pm I haven’t seen ansuggestion for renting a splitter. $35 for four hours. I’m able to get my yearly needs met. Split and burn about three cord yearly. Hearth.com is a great resource.
I do not know how common it is but I have also see adds for people who would bring their log splitter to your location and split your precut logs for you and charge you by the hour.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I can barely stand the effort of stacking the 2.5 cords we have delivered each year and the truck dumps it 10ft from the wood shed. Love the wood heat despite it actually being a little more costly than natural gas. We also keep the house warmer with wood so a true cost comparison is difficult.

Ive used my neighbors hydraulic wood splitter and it seems very reliable, fast enough and it cuts through anything.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:47 pm I can barely stand the effort of stacking the 2.5 cords we have delivered each year and the truck dumps it 10ft from the wood shed. Love the wood heat despite it actually being a little more costly than natural gas. We also keep the house warmer with wood so a true cost comparison is difficult.

Ive used my neighbors hydraulic wood splitter and it seems very reliable, fast enough and it cuts through anything.
Relish the exercise. Cheaper than health clubs. Each cord weighs about 2000 lbs. I think of it as a task that I can do when/if time permits.
HVAC
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

I cut and split with a maul maybe 3 cords a year. Enjoy the exercise. As they say it warms you twice.

:)

DA
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

I want to buy some nice Douglas Fir rounds just to have the exercise and joy of splitting them!
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Agree about the exercise.
Purchase of wood or large investment in equipment isn’t Boglehead wise. If wood burning is for pleasure then okay have at it. Cost isn’t an issue there.
Doing the math it only makes sense if you DIY. Wood generated BTU comparison vs electric or gas or heat pump only favors wood if it’s low cost BTUs. Part of the problem is the lower real world efficiency of the wood burner itself. Part is due to the cost of wood when it gets above about $100 per cord. To me DIY makes it more cost effective. But I don’t kid myself.
So some exercise, some BTUs, and some pleasure are my main justifications. Sometimes it pulls our family together when we split wood. It’s a big draw in the winter when we thoroughly enjoy the warmth at the fireside.
Don’t forget to clean your chimney regularly.
Enjoy. HVAC