New SUV Model vs Used Lexus RX350?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

New SUV Model vs Used Lexus RX350?

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

We're ready to replace our 2010 Lexus RX350 (150K miles). Our preference is to buy a used RX350 (2017-2020) for approximately $40K. We've waited awhile and dealer is getting newer trade-ins and asking $50K.

We're opening our search to another model with quality that approaches that of Lexus. Not interested in BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo.

KIA or others an option?
Sandi_k

Re: New SUV Model vs Used Lexus RX350?

Post by Sandi_k »

I also had a 2010 RX350; I sold it in 2019, with 256k miles on it, and bought a new 2019 RAV4 hybrid.

I love the fact that I now get double the mileage; I hate the fact that the Toyota has squeaks and rattles I never heard even after high mileage on the RX.

When I retire and no longer rack up 20k miles per year, I will be looking for another Lexus.

Have you checked Carmax? They might have a used Lexus in stock, or can move one from another location for a small fee.
henry

Post by henry »

If shopping new and budget of 40K and want to stay in the Toyota family, you could consider a Toyota Venza. Only comes as a hybrid and with all wheel drive. It uses the same powertrain as the Toyota RAV4 hybrid.

You could also get a lower trim Toyota Highlander with all-wheel drive which is a 3-row but actually mechanically similar to the current 2023 Lexus RX 350 (Similar 2.4 liter turbo 4-cylinder engine and 8-speed transmission.).

Subaru Outback in the XT Limited trim is another possibility.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Have you considered a CRV?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

henry wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:59 am If shopping new and budget of 40K and want to stay in the Toyota family, you could consider a Toyota Venza.
I would also recommend the Venza above the previous-gen RX. The Venza does a really good imitation of a Lexus - it's actually sold in Japan as the Harrier, prior generations of which were sold in the U.S. as the RX. The Venza is based on the excellent TNGA platform, whereas the RX only got the TNGA platform with the recent redesign.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

A Kia is not a Lexus.
I think you're asking about an Acura? Which is a luxury Honda. Just like a Lexus is a luxury Toyota.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

Have you test driven a Tesla Model Y?

If you qualify, $44,380 after tax credit including destination fee. Not that it matters if you don't like the car, but after driving an EV for a bit over a year, it would be very hard to ever go back to an ICE vehicle.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

My wife was set on getting a new Lexus RX350L. However it was discontinued for 2023. We ended up with a top trim Kia Telluride. It’s not the same, but we have been very impressed so far. Might be bigger than you want and also very hard to find. I wouldn’t discount just because it’s a Kia.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:52 pm We're ready to replace our 2010 Lexus RX350 (150K miles). Our preference is to buy a used RX350 (2017-2020) for approximately $40K. We've waited awhile and dealer is getting newer trade-ins and asking $50K.

We're opening our search to another model with quality that approaches that of Lexus. Not interested in BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo.

KIA or others an option?
Plenty of 2018 RX350 in the $35k range,including Carmax. Have you driven the RX500h?

Our 2015 RX350 has 120k miles and feels and runs like brand new. We drove it from Portland to San Francisco yesterday in total comfort and serenity.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:52 pm We're ready to replace our 2010 Lexus RX350 (150K miles). Our preference is to buy a used RX350 (2017-2020) for approximately $40K. We've waited awhile and dealer is getting newer trade-ins and asking $50K.
Why are you giving up your current car if you like the RX350? You've probably got another 150K miles left in it.

That said, if you want to scratch the new car itch, I'd look at the Mazda CX-5 or CX-90. Excellent "drivers" cars, excellet build quality, and the higher trim levels are every bit as nice as the luxury brands.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Of all manufacturers, Toyota appears to remain behind all others. The result is that there are very few un-spoken-for cars on any Toyota lot. In general, Toyota dealers have done less "added dealer markup" compared with other manufacturers. They've instead created waiting lists and as cars come in, if it's the model you "ordered", you can take it or leave it. A coworker did this and "ordered" a new Camry hybrid. His choices on colors and options were nothing. A Camry hybrid comes in when his name comes up and he got to either take whatever it was or go to the end of the line and wait another 6 months.

Used Toyotas depreciate as a brand less than all others except for Subaru. So buying used means you're going to pay closest to new than any other brand. I'm lumping Lexus in with Toyota as they're the same thing.

As asked above, why don't you just keep your present vehicle? Maybe bring it to a pro detailer and spend $300 getting it looking like new. Have your trusted local independent mechanic go through it and do anything that's needed or a good idea to replace now. Many people who never kept cars over 100k are keeping them for way longer these days with all car prices still at high levels. I include myself there as I would trade cars just before 100k miles in the past. I just changed the oil in my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek at 190k miles. One of my sons drives it. DW and I drive so little now that her 45k mile 17 Subaru Legacy and my 42k mile 19 Subaru Crosstrek will probably last till we're dead.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Watty

Post by Watty »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:52 pm Our preference is to buy a used RX350 (2017-2020) for approximately $40K.
You did not say what trim level you are looking at. How much would a similar new RX350 cost?

Even if it would cost $55K I would think that a reasonable case could be made for buying a new one instead if a used one would cost you $40K.

The 2024 model years will be on the lots soon so a 2020 could be almost 4 years old. A 2017 could be almost 7 years old. Even if the used car was first sold late in the model year they would still be 3 to 6 years old.

$40K is a lot for car that old.

Especially at the older end of that date range it likely would not have nearly the same advanced safety features as a 2023 or 2024. Even things like airbags which both cars might have may have improved versions on a newer model of the same car.

Something like a 2017 may also not integrate well or at all with your cell phone.
bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:52 pm KIA or others an option?
A high trim level of a non-luxury version of a car can be competitive with a semi-luxury brand like Lexus or Acura. Looking at a high trim level Highlander or Pilot would be obvious choices to look at.

I am more familiar with Subaru and their top trim level is called "Touring". It would be worth looking at a Touring level Outback or Forester depending on what your needs are.
Last edited by Watty on Sat May 27, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

If you can swing it, my new 2023 RX 350h might be the best Lexus I’ve ever owned. If you’re a Lexus person, nothing else is going to make you happy, I don’t think.

EDIT: as per another comment later by Carolinaman, used Lexus products are generally poor (or at least not great) values compared to new. Buy new if you can.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Sat May 27, 2023 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
lomarica01

Post by lomarica01 »

we went from a 2001 with 220,000 miles to a new 2020 rx350. For us it was worth getting new with all the safety features etc...

They have great deals in Dec if you can wait that long

good luck
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have purchased two used Lexus RX 3* in our lifetimes from the dealer as CPO cars. Each time they tried to overcharge us, but also each time we negotiated to about 20% below their initial asking price. I think their sales ploy is to have some used models priced close to if not higher than new models just to help steer people to new models. That is, they really do not expect to sell them except to suckers.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

You will likely not be happy with anything but a lexus. Unless there is a substantial price difference between used and new, why not buy a new lexus?
delamer

Post by delamer »

What’s your definition of quality?

Are you talking about luxury, low maintenance, minimal defects, all of the above? My adult child drives a Honda Civic that meets two out of three of those criteria.

And you’ve eliminated most of Lexus’s direct competitors from consideration, in terms of the luxury component.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
illumination

Post by illumination »

I'd rather have a 1-2 year old Lexus than a comparable, new "non-luxury" make if you have a hard budget ceiling. But I will concede I have a bias. Once you own a Lexus, it's hard to own anything else. I've been through 5, I went with something completely different this time (Porsche) and I find myself missing my Lexus. They just get so many things right to make a comfortable driving experience. But I will admit, they are boring.

One thing I just dislike in general about non-luxury makes (like say Toyota and Honda) is the road noise. All the makes have gotten way better over the years with this, but when I cross shopped a Toyota vs the Lexus counterpart, it really does make a big difference. Some cars just feel like a tin can.

When you price what a loaded, similar car costs, I dont think the premium is that much more. Something like a Toyota Highlander is probably high $40k's new, I'd pay the extra for the Lexus RX. It has a better warranty, materials, fit and finish, better dealer experience, infotainment, etc. But some people just dont care, and a "regular" Toyota today is like a Lexus from a few years ago.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

illumination wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:53 am I'd rather have a 1-2 year old Lexus than a comparable, new "non-luxury" make if you have a hard budget ceiling.
I'm not a fan of "stretching budget ceilings" but in this case, the answer is to double-stretch for the NEW Lexus. In the short run, a 1-2 year old Lexus will save a few dollars out of pocket. In the long run, it's been the case for a long time that a 1-2 year old Lexus will cost more than a new Lexus. Because of dealer skim, needing new brakes and tires sooner, shorter time left on the factory warranty and, the overall depreciation market penalizing the 1-2 year old Lexus buyer. I did an "off lease" 3 year old CPO'd Lexus RX about 10 years ago and it ended up costing more than the new one, over the next 3 years. Don't do it. Plus it has someone else's dirt in it and the available choices may not be as good as picking just the right new one (although the supply of new is still not great).
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I also have an 2023 RX 350h. Nice car. Expensive though and required add on. I traded in a Mustang EV for it. Only one fob though. The second may not come until the end of the year.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:06 pm .... I did an "off lease" 3 year old CPO'd Lexus RX about 10 years ago and it ended up costing more than the new one, over the next 3 years.
And a counter anecdote: Our last 3-year-old-CPO'd Lexus RX-350 has NEVER EVER been back to the dealer. We gave it to one of our kids and it is now 13-years old. Other than tires, battery, oil changes, we haven't done ANY of the recommended service to it.

We don't drive Lexus anymore, but went with less expensive cars: Honda CR-V hybrid and Subaru Outback. It is not hard to drive these other cars after the 2 Lexus as these less expensive cars have become more luxurious.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

livesoft wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:28 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:06 pm .... I did an "off lease" 3 year old CPO'd Lexus RX about 10 years ago and it ended up costing more than the new one, over the next 3 years.
And a counter anecdote: Our last 3-year-old-CPO'd Lexus RX-350 has NEVER EVER been back to the dealer. We gave it to one of our kids and it is now 13-years old. Other than tires, battery, oil changes, we haven't done ANY of the recommended service to it.

We don't drive Lexus anymore, but went with less expensive cars: Honda CR-V hybrid and Subaru Outback. It is not hard to drive these other cars after the 2 Lexus as these less expensive cars have become more luxurious.
Agreed. We also have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek. While it’s not a Lexus, I agree that it’s a great value. And the tech in it almost equals that of the Lexus. And like Lexus, it probably will only require oil changes and wear and tear items. Subaru might be the best lower cost non-Lexus choice.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:06 pm
illumination wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:53 am I'd rather have a 1-2 year old Lexus than a comparable, new "non-luxury" make if you have a hard budget ceiling.
I'm not a fan of "stretching budget ceilings" but in this case, the answer is to double-stretch for the NEW Lexus. In the short run, a 1-2 year old Lexus will save a few dollars out of pocket. In the long run, it's been the case for a long time that a 1-2 year old Lexus will cost more than a new Lexus. Because of dealer skim, needing new brakes and tires sooner, shorter time left on the factory warranty and, the overall depreciation market penalizing the 1-2 year old Lexus buyer. I did an "off lease" 3 year old CPO'd Lexus RX about 10 years ago and it ended up costing more than the new one, over the next 3 years. Don't do it. Plus it has someone else's dirt in it and the available choices may not be as good as picking just the right new one (although the supply of new is still not great).

I would both agree and disagree with some of that math. The CPO package from Lexus dealers is a (usually) a rip off in my opinion. Not only do they add on for that warranty, but they usually really inflate the price. In those cases, what you're saying is probably true. But that's not the only option for buying a used Lexus.

I also think the supply shortages have distorted things to where people are "over paying" for used cars because they want it "right now". At some point when its not hard to get a new car, you're going to see prices go down for used cars when there's more competition.

Some of it is also what vehicle you want. You can get a BIG Lexus discount going used if you want a sedan. Like I got a like new Lexus ES still under factory warranty for around $20k. New it was around $40k (pre-Covid). With SUV's though, my experience is it's just worth it (to me)to buy new. I went through that when I was getting a GX. The spread between new and used was around $10k. Seemed worth the extra to me, and I'd get most of that back when it came time to sell to have a few years newer and lower miles.
like2read

Post by like2read »

I'm surprised at the positive takes on the Subarus. We had to replace ours when the CVT transmission failed at around 100k miles. I was expecting so much more.
pennylane

Post by pennylane »

Why would you buy a used 2017-2020 for 40k when a new one costs 52k? Penny wise and pound foolish if you ask me. Also, is the new one a newer generation?

Your RX has been good to you for 10+ years, why would you consider other brands? Lexus makes a solid reliable product. Go buy a new one. Pre-COVID, 3 year old cars were half the MSRP. Now, not so much.. the new is a better value by a long shot.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

pennylane wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:36 am Why would you buy a used 2017-2020 for 40k when a new one costs 52k? Penny wise and pound foolish if you ask me. Also, is the new one a newer generation?

Your RX has been good to you for 10+ years, why would you consider other brands? Lexus makes a solid reliable product. Go buy a new one. Pre-COVID, 3 year old cars were half the MSRP. Now, not so much.. the new is a better value by a long shot.
+1. This. Exactly. My understanding is that the hybrid (RX350h) has a long waiting list and dealers are getting sticker price plus either a premium or are forcing skim add-ons at ridiculous prices. But the RX350 gas version is being sold at or below sticker. I will say that my RX350h that I bought in January gets almost double the gas mileage as my old 2020RX350 got. One caveat is that the current gas RX requires premium fuel. But for the original poster, getting a brand new RX, even if not the hybrid, makes more long-term sense than paying a huge premium for used. Even before the pandemic, Toyota products were a poor value for the used car buyer as compared to new. It's certainly true today.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:20 pm... I will say that my RX350h that I bought in January gets almost double the gas mileage as my old 2020RX350 got.
Your RX350h gets more than 50 mpg? That's way more than reports.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:20 pm... I will say that my RX350h that I bought in January gets almost double the gas mileage as my old 2020RX350 got.
Your RX350h gets more than 50 mpg? That's way more than reports.
The old one got 17MPG around Pittsburgh and about 28 on the highway at 75MPH. The new one gets 32 MPG in Pittsburgh and hasn’t been on a road trip yet. So 17 to 32 has me standing by my comment.
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

KIA or others an option?
OP here with an update.....

Did the deal yesterday. Whoever posted, "you probably won't be happy with anything but a Lexus" was correct.

We purchased a 2020 RX350 for $42K (out-the-door price) with 30K miles. It's really clean, however it's the "basic package" so DW must get by without heated/cooled seats and moon-roof she had in her 2010 model.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:33 am

KIA or others an option?
OP here with an update.....

Did the deal yesterday. Whoever posted, "you probably won't be happy with anything but a Lexus" was correct.

We purchased a 2020 RX350 for $42K (out-the-door price) with 30K miles. It's really clean, however it's the "basic package" so DW must get by without heated/cooled seats and moon-roof she had in her 2010 model.
Congrats! Thanks for the update. You will enjoy your Lexus for many years.
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

I've been looking at the new RX350's as well. The real downside for me is that Lexus moved from their very good 6 cylinder engine to a 4 cylinder. It apparently improved the gas mileage but I'd still prefer the 6.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

jcpct wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:32 am I've been looking at the new RX350's as well. The real downside for me is that Lexus moved from their very good 6 cylinder engine to a 4 cylinder. It apparently improved the gas mileage but I'd still prefer the 6.
For what it's worth, the gas engine (turbo 4 cylinder) 2023 Lexus RX doesn't really get much better miles per gallon at all. Because the car requires premium gas that costs about 20% more. The one to buy is the RX350h hybrid, but they are hard to come by and sell for more in the real world, despite a sticker price the same as the turbo 4.