Best Performance Dress Shirts for men? - Non-Iron and Washable

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teelainen

Best Performance Dress Shirts for men? - Non-Iron and Washable

Post by teelainen »

Any recommendations on the best performance dress shirts for men?

They need to be non-iron, washable, and wrinkle-free.

Any good brands? Where can we buy them?
watchnerd

Re: Best Performance Dress Shirts for men? - Non-Iron and Washable

Post by watchnerd »

I'm going to be a bit snobbish and first state that non-ron / no-wrinkle are not my first choice in dress shirts due to degradations in breathability and hand-feel of the fabric. I much prefer custom made shirts using natural fabrics.

That being said...

I find a place in my life (or used to, in the Before Times of business travel) for non-iron for travel purposes.

Of all the non-iron shirts I've dried, I've been most happy with the Brooks Brothers line.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/shirts?p ... ron&page=2
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
rob

Post by rob »

When I cared pre-covid... I gave up the non-iron for the comfort and style or things like cotton. Every hotel has an iron (or if you ignore the green impact; hang them in the shower and run hot water for a while). The ones that are non-iron are just polyester like feel which is terrible.... LLBean has some great options.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

+ 1 for Brooks Brothers although I haven’t worn anything but athletic clothes for the last 3 years these used to be more first choice in the office.

I am interested in the more athleisure type fabrics I have seen advertised in dress shirts now.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

I don't know what you mean by the word performance. If you are looking for machine wash & dry no-iron dress shirts, button down or spread collar, my son has been happy with J. Crew's shirts. You have to hang them as soon as the dryer finishes but they come out looking great. 98% cotton and 2% something else.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

mw1739 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 pm + 1 for Brooks Brothers although I haven’t worn anything but athletic clothes for the last 3 years these used to be more first choice in the office.

I am interested in the more athleisure type fabrics I have seen advertised in dress shirts now.
Me, too.

I haven't worn my dress shirts for work in years.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
bendix

Post by bendix »

I used to wear taylor made shirts. Very nice and good looking. But laborious to keep tidy. Eventually I switched to Lands` End, where a shirt cost me 20 some Dollars and not 120. They look cheaper, yes. They dont feel much different. Very easy to care for. Then again they´re drenched in all sorts of chemicals to make them "performance" which in principle I dont like. If I would still wear shirts I would probably buy them from LLBean.
S79L

Post by S79L »

Try Charles Tyrwhitt when you can get them 3 for $99.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

watchnerd wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:52 pm I'm going to be a bit snobbish and first state that non-ron / no-wrinkle are not my first choice in dress shirts due to degradations in breathability and hand-feel of the fabric. I much prefer custom made shirts using natural fabrics.
These shirts feel amazing. Has no artificial feel to them but rather almost like lightweight knit/merino.

https://kamakurashirts.com/pages/easy-c ... alpa%C2%AE
sport

Post by sport »

You might find something you want here:
https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... ress+shirt
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

i think some people carry legacy perception of non-iron garment from decades past that were heavily chemically treated, that felt stiff. modern textiles have different means of achieving wrinkle resistance, and they're applied to fabrics of all different weights and weaves.

brooks brothers non-iron broadcloth are very light and airy feeling. the kamakura stuff i really like too. i don't buy shirts specifically that are non-iron, but i don't avoid them because they're non-iron either. i buy based on cut/detailing and color/pattern, and some that are non-iron just happen to feel really nice.

another tip for those who hate ironing is to buy a handheld steamer. much less fussier as you dont need an ironing stand. just wave it around the shirts and it gets the normal ones presentable enough, and the non-iron ones even in better shape.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Brooks Brothers shirts are great. I am retired now but wore them when I worked. They last a long time and look better than most non iron shirts.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I like Van Heusen slim fit shirts. Amazon has them for $15 to $20 a piece around Black Friday.

Tried Brooks Brothers and the shirts looked great, but they all fell apart in under 2 years. The cheapo shirts look fine and I can get 4-5 years out of them.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

When I took on an executive position, I went to Brooks Brothers, and never looked back.

A couple of the shirts have worn out, but that is over a 10 year span.

I did wear dress shirts while working from home, as I was on videos call daily.

I bought them when they had the 3 for $225 sales, rather than the normal $90+ price.
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

Personally, I can't imagine spending much effort deviating from the Nordstrom line for office uniform dress shirts, performance or non-performance.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

+1 for Brooks Brothers, but pricey. I find Costco dress shirts to be excellent at a fraction of the price.

I tried Charles Tyrwhitt twice. I do not recommend them. They look limp and less substantial after several washings. The collars would no longer stay on the fold.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

bendix wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:22 pm I used to wear taylor made shirts. Very nice and good looking. But laborious to keep tidy. Eventually I switched to Lands` End, where a shirt cost me 20 some Dollars and not 120. They look cheaper, yes. They dont feel much different. Very easy to care for. Then again they´re drenched in all sorts of chemicals to make them "performance" which in principle I dont like. If I would still wear shirts I would probably buy them from LLBean.

I only rarely wear dress shirts these days (special events only). I have 3 L.L. Bean button-down collar Oxfords that I’ve had for probably 10 years (a white, a blue and a yellow) and which still look very good. I would, however, be reluctant to recommend L.L. Bean without knowing more about their current models and their quality. My experience is that the once high quality L.L. Bean brand ain’t what it used to be.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Another for Brooks Brothers, however we do feel they need light touch up with the iron.
I suspect others are OK with what comes out of the dryer.

I have a closet full bought between 2010 and 2019 (pre-COVID) that will last me a long time as they aren't worn very often any more.

I do try to get a shirt that fits well which the BB's do. I'm not one to sacrifice fit for low cost.

I have one Proper Cloth custom shirt that I love but I haven't felt the need to buy another one since events of 2020.
bendix

Post by bendix »

friar1610 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:14 pm
bendix wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:22 pm I used to wear taylor made shirts. Very nice and good looking. But laborious to keep tidy. Eventually I switched to Lands` End, where a shirt cost me 20 some Dollars and not 120. They look cheaper, yes. They dont feel much different. Very easy to care for. Then again they´re drenched in all sorts of chemicals to make them "performance" which in principle I dont like. If I would still wear shirts I would probably buy them from LLBean.

I only rarely wear dress shirts these days (special events only). I have 3 L.L. Bean button-down collar Oxfords that I’ve had for probably 10 years (a white, a blue and a yellow) and which still look very good. I would, however, be reluctant to recommend L.L. Bean without knowing more about their current models and their quality. My experience is that the once high quality L.L. Bean brand ain’t what it used to be.
I dont know about LL Bean ten years ago. Anecdotally I heard their quality used to be amazing but I buy them because "I like their products" and I dont have any special expectation regarding durability.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

bendix wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:59 pm
friar1610 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:14 pm

I dont know about LL Bean ten years ago. Anecdotally I heard their quality used to be amazing but I buy them because "I like their products" and I dont have any special expectation regarding durability.
Fair enough.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

I am a big fan of Costco dress shirts. However, I prefer non-button down collar dress shorts and their selection of them is very sparse (except for non-Costco brands which I'm not a huge fan of). I found David Donahue and Eton shirts at Nordstom and occasionally splurge when I find a good deal on eBay.
YeWill

Post by YeWill »

I think I am cheap or out of the loop on prices but some of the shirts y'all are suggesting are above $100. That price is definitely not a boglehead.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

YeWill wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm I think I am cheap or out of the loop on prices but some of the shirts y'all are suggesting are above $100. That price is definitely not a boglehead.
Always best to buy these on sale.
For example Brooks Brothers are 4 for $249 right now.
True there was a time they were 4 for $199, then three for $199, etc. But that's not 2023
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

stan1 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:44 pm
YeWill wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:38 pm I think I am cheap or out of the loop on prices but some of the shirts y'all are suggesting are above $100. That price is definitely not a boglehead.
Always best to buy these on sale.
For example Brooks Brothers are 4 for $249 right now.
True there was a time they were 4 for $199, then three for $199, etc. But that's not 2023
I'm sure they are nice, but I can't stomach $50/shirt. Even half that is above my threshold.

I'm not sure what a "performance" dress shirt is, but I used to wear a "dress shirt" almost every day to work (before I started WFH) and I now wear one every Sunday. I have a variety from different brands and colors. Most of them were purchased from Ross clearance racks in the past 20yrs for $5-$15 each.

One of my wife's clients is & collar https://andcollar.com/. They are supposed to be nice, but unless they send her a gift card or something, I'll probably never own one.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I don’t think over $100 is outrageous for a dress shirt. I certainly wouldn’t pay that for a store bought shirt, but I pay north of $100 for custom dress shirts. To me, they’re worth every penny and are a great value. They fit perfectly, they feel great, and they look good. Plus, they are well made and last a long time. I probable get more wears out of my expensive shirts than a lot of people do from cheapo shirts, which means even though I pay more upfront, long term costs are less. Very boglehead if you ask me :D

If you have an athletic build, you probably have to get off the rack shirts tailored anyway. I used to wear brooks bros years ago and I hated them. They never fit well. They were too tight in some spots and way too loose in others. Not to mention the non-iron coating made you feel like you were wearing a plastic bag as a shirt.

As someone with sensitive skin, I cannot wear non-iron shirts. There’s a noticeable difference to me in texture and breathability, and certain ones cause major skin irritation. Thankfully I don’t wear dress shirts daily, so I can live with the laundry costs.
bendix

Post by bendix »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:35 am
I don’t think over $100 is outrageous for a dress shirt.
There are situations where wearing a somewhat more costly outfit does something for you. Client meetings or just wearing it in the office. I am convinced there´s something to be said about wearing good cloth which are well maintained in order to give an impression of tidyness and above everything avoiding an impression of looking "cheap". If that does something to help you in your job, it´s worth every penny.

I´ve advised more junior colleagues to do away with their $50 jacket and their $5 tie because they look like a door to door salesman and I wouldnt even do a $10 transaction with them.
Joey Jo Jo Jr

Post by Joey Jo Jo Jr »

S79L wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:32 pm Try Charles Tyrwhitt when you can get them 3 for $99.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/
+1 These are my staple for the last 5 years. Used Brooks Bros 10 years before that but they got expensive and they would tend to bust at the elbow.

Cotton is ever so slightly more comfortable (something I do not notice wearing) and slightly more breathable (something I occasionally notice in the heat but on the other hand helps in the cold) but the dry cleaning hassle is simply not worth it (or the cost back when I was poor). Cotton shirts also look wrinkled by the end of the day and sometimes overly starched at the beginning.
chw

Post by chw »

LL Bean fits your needs- not as pricey as Brooks Brothers, and have a nice selection or work casual styles.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Should be obvious that people have different personal preferences and sometimes expectations of others come into play.

"Best", "Performance", and "Dress" are all subject to interpretation which is what we are reading on this post. OP did not ask for lowest cost or even best value.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I used to use Joseph a banks shirts and had pretty good luck with them.
Bogle-007

Post by Bogle-007 »

rob wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:57 pm When I cared pre-covid... I gave up the non-iron for the comfort and style or things like cotton. Every hotel has an iron (or if you ignore the green impact; hang them in the shower and run hot water for a while). The ones that are non-iron are just polyester like feel which is terrible.... LLBean has some great options.
Some misinformation here... Banana Republic was my source for non-iron 100% cotton (NOT polyester!) dress shirts for may years. They seem to be moving away from non-iron these days, unfortunately.
jodhpur

Post by jodhpur »

I think it's impossible to beat Lands End $$ or Brooks Brothers $$$ Oxford or poplin shirts.
Supima or Egyptian cotton--maybe not pinpoint, broadcloth, or stretch.
Spray the collars, machine wash cold, and hang dry.
Definitely get 100% cotton. Whether it's treated for non-iron is up to you.
Wear them with a suit Monday and maybe with jeans on Friday and shorts with the sleeves rolled up on Saturday. Rinse. Repeat.

https://shopmashburn.com/blogs/hey-sid- ... hite-shirt
https://shopmashburn.com/blogs/deep-div ... ess-shirts
Purdue

Post by Purdue »

JBTX wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:35 pm I used to use Joseph a banks shirts and had pretty good luck with them.
This. I started wearing Jos A Bank shirts after a WSJ article 20+ years ago rated their Traveler shirt the highest. I like that the lowest button was lower than on other shirts and also seem to be slightly longer (both, to me, better for tucking in your shirt). I still wear mine, but haven't bought a new one in about four years.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Purdue wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:21 pm
JBTX wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:35 pm I used to use Joseph a banks shirts and had pretty good luck with them.
This. I started wearing Jos A Bank shirts after a WSJ article 20+ years ago rated their Traveler shirt the highest. I like that the lowest button was lower than on other shirts and also seem to be slightly longer (both, to me, better for tucking in your shirt). I still wear mine, but haven't bought a new one in about four years.
Same. Even though wrinkle free I’d take them to cleaners, but I could wear them 2-3 times as I’d wear a T shirt underneath.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

jodhpur wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:32 am I think it's impossible to beat Lands End $$ or Brooks Brothers $$$ Oxford or poplin shirts.
Wear them with a suit Monday and maybe with jeans on Friday and shorts with the sleeves rolled up on Saturday. Rinse. Repeat.

+1. Another vote for Lands End oxford shirts. I buy them for my DH, as they are available in his size. They pack well and resist wrinkles.

Edit: incidentally, I purchased an LE Oxford shirt for myself. The quality isn’t the same—buttonholes were unusable. But the men’s shirts have been flawless.
quattro73

Post by quattro73 »

DesertDiva wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:50 pm
jodhpur wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:32 am I think it's impossible to beat Lands End $$ or Brooks Brothers $$$ Oxford or poplin shirts.

+1. Another vote for Lands End oxford shirts. I buy them for my DH, as they are available in his size. They pack well and resist wrinkles.

Edit: incidentally, I purchased an LE Oxford shirt for myself. The quality isn’t the same—buttonholes were unusable. But the men’s shirts have been flawless.
+1 for Lands End for just everyday dress shirts.
Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen »

Does anyone have any feedback about Mizzen + Main ?
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

bendix wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:26 am
NYCaviator wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:35 am
I don’t think over $100 is outrageous for a dress shirt.
There are situations where wearing a somewhat more costly outfit does something for you. Client meetings or just wearing it in the office. I am convinced there´s something to be said about wearing good cloth which are well maintained in order to give an impression of tidyness and above everything avoiding an impression of looking "cheap". If that does something to help you in your job, it´s worth every penny.

I´ve advised more junior colleagues to do away with their $50 jacket and their $5 tie because they look like a door to door salesman and I wouldnt even do a $10 transaction with them.
Ha. The door to door salesmen these days don't wear ties - they wear polo shirts as they try to tell me how Jeff across the street is using their lawn/weed/pest service/solar panels, and therefore I should too.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

At a Bogleheads Conference years ago, Jack Bogle told us he was "really frugal," and especially enjoyed receiving the LL Bean catalog in the mail, then he would go through it and buy about five shirts at the most reasonable price once a year. :D
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Almost all my button-down shirts come from Costco for < $20 each. Machine wash and ironed after wearing two or three times. They last maybe three years as my “top shelf” wardrobe; another 5 years as “acceptable for work”; and then get delegated to “okay to wear in anonymous settings.”

Added cost of a better shirt or dry cleaning would exceed the money saved by increased longevity.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Joseph Abboud. :D Not sure they are non iron though.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

teelainen wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 pm Does anyone have any feedback about Mizzen + Main ?
At that price point I'd consider Proper Cloth which has custom sizing based off your measurements.
bobbyrab

Post by bobbyrab »

teelainen wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 pm Does anyone have any feedback about Mizzen + Main ?
I have several Mizzen + Main dress shirts and they are the gold standard of performance dress shirts. They are expensive but just launder 'em, put 'em on a hanger, and behold a dress shirt ready for a night out or in the boardroom.
Remember - the tortoise DID beat the hare.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

bobbyrab wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:59 pm
I have several Mizzen + Main dress shirts and they are the gold standard of performance dress shirts. They are expensive but just launder 'em, put 'em on a hanger, and behold a dress shirt ready for a night out or in the boardroom.

This is an old thread!

Mizzen and main sell 88% polyester 22% spandex shirts for $138. Not even a hint of cotton. That’s insane considering it probably costs them $5 to manufacture them. Polyester is one thing that should have stayed in the 1980s, unless it’s for workout clothes.

The best non-custom, non-iron shirts I own are from eton. Just as much of a rip off as mizzen shirts, but at least they’re 100% cotton. Plus they don’t use nasty and toxic chemicals to make the shirts wrinkle free.