Netflix Household Verification

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Katietsu

Re: Netflix Household Verification

Post by Katietsu »

On May 23, Netflix announced that it was sending emails to customers in 103 countries, including the United States, about account sharing. This has been planned for quite some time. Actually, it has been delayed a couple of times. The new policy was already introduced last year in Latin America and in February 2023 to Canada, New Zealand, Portugal, and Spain.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Admiral wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:53 am My daughter is in college 8 months of the year and at home 4 months. It will be interesting to see if they try to cut her off come September, once she's no longer part of the "household."

Since nothing prevents someone in the household from (legitimately) using Netflix on a non-TV device that's away from the house (vacation, anyone?) clearly there is some litmus test for how often this can happen.
What I heard today on TV and what was posted above is her remote device must be connected to the home router at least 1x per month. So it will work for the first 30 days after she heads to school and not again until she returns home for fall/winter break. Then her remote access will continue for 30 days after she returns to school.

OTOH, she/you can pay $8/mo., or Netflix might even have a new college pricing plan rolling out in the late summer.
Last edited by Big Dog on Wed May 24, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:32 pm We currently have "family" plans for most of the streaming services and the cost is shared among my parents and several siblings. I believe technically the Netflix account is in my mom's name. If this is the new policy, won't be much of an issue doing without Netflix.
Netflix's policy has always been one account per "household". They plan to start to attempt to enforce it is what is changing. There was no family plan (but they have talked of adding one).
If you don't live with Mom you (or rather your Mom) have been in violation of Mom's user agreement that she agreed to.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Wed May 24, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

arf1410 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:24 am (FYI I am not in any way advocating violating Netflix terms of service!)

I am trying to understand how the Netflix household verification, which is now rolling out in the USA, will work, and how much of a pain in the you know what it will be.

We are a household of 2 people... but 3 TVs, and numerous tablets, phones, and computers... While the TVs are always hardwired to our router, won't they each have unique IP addresses? and sometimes the phones are connected to our wifi... sometimes not. And what about when we (frequently) travel around USA. We arent home in our household, but I think we're allowed to use the netflix account, unless they are changing the terms of service. UGH
I don't know exactly what their method is, but accounting for all this isn't difficult. I would expect a completely seamless rollout for users like you (and me).
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

freakyfriday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:42 pm
Admiral wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:27 pm
That's incorrect. Their terms (try to) define a household but they do not use (or do not care to use) location-based data as part of that definition. It's posted upthread. That's why you can stream to your tablet at the beach, or watch Netflix at the office.
It's right here https://help.netflix.com/en/node/124925

Household is a set of devices connected to the internet from the same place. Your definition is pure fiction. But I wont be replying again on this chain, spread misinformation as much as you like. Not even Netflix really cares if their behaviour on VPNs has been anything to go by. Once they secure rights they restart turning a blind eye.
My definition is not pure fiction, nor is it misinformation.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24853

Pertinent info:
Using Netflix outside of your home
Netflix is easy to use when on the go or traveling. Use Netflix as usual to watch on your portable devices - like a tablet, laptop, or mobile phone - or sign into a new TV, like at a hotel or a holiday rental.
Note that there is no limitation that you must, or can only, watch on your home network, or that all devices must be on the same network at the same time (assuming you pay for multiple screens.)
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Over the years, I have come to enjoy other streaming services more than Netflix. It seems like their offerings mostly aren't to my taste. I have avoided cancelling because of the other people on my multiple screen subscription. I rarely watch but I have two children and two friends that stream on my multiple-screen account. If Netflix comes down on me, I'll simply cancel. I enjoy Prime, Britbox, and Acorn TV much more than Netflix.

They are free to come down on my usage, and I am free to cancel. The streaming marketplace has become much more competitive. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. The Wall Street Journal has discussed Netflix's dilemma: getting more strict with their customers, while risking the loss of those customers.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:30 pm
Netflix's policy has always been one account per "household". They plan to start to attempt to enforce it is what is changing. There was no family plan (but they have talked of adding one).
If you don't live with Mom you (or rather your Mom) have been in violation of Mom's user agreement that she agreed to.
Perhaps I didn’t understand Netflix’s policy correctly, but I always understood us to be using Netflix legally, in that our household consists of me and my wife (leaving aside our son whose permanent address while away at college is our home).

We can apparently use our mobile devices at our NYC apartment while maintaining our account’s home in MA. However, the way I read it, the Ethernet connected TV in NYC can no longer be used under our one account, I guess unless we connect via mobile device and “cast” to the TV.

In real life, we only are at that apartment 6-8 days per month and are usually busy, so it would not pay to have an additional Netflix account. I’m not sure Netflix’s goal is to move our watching to Amazon, Apple, BritBox, etc., all of whom have IIUC, much more sensible definitions of acceptable use.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

All this over $8/month is embarrassing for our community.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:47 pm
Perhaps I didn’t understand Netflix’s policy correctly, but I always understood us to be using Netflix legally, in that our household consists of me and my wife (leaving aside our son whose permanent address while away at college is our home).

We can apparently use our mobile devices at our NYC apartment while maintaining our account’s home in MA. However, the way I read it, the Ethernet connected TV in NYC can no longer be used under our one account, I guess unless we connect via mobile device and “cast” to the TV.

In real life, we only are at that apartment 6-8 days per month and are usually busy, so it would not pay to have an additional Netflix account. I’m not sure Netflix’s goal is to move our watching to Amazon, Apple, BritBox, etc., all of whom have IIUC, much more sensible definitions of acceptable use.
Right. I think clearly (and rightly) the intent was to prevent password sharing: I can't give my account info to my cousin who lives in California and have us both use Netflix. (Though you could argue that as long as we were not concurrently using it, it would be within the limits of acceptability.) Intent matters, and I don't think the intent was to prevent people who pay for multiple screens from sharing an account among family members in a "household" (which in itself is subject to interpretation. Just as the census!) If my kid goes to camp for the summer they can watch Netflix on their iPad because I've paid to have the service on that device.

I suppose it's their company and they can do what they want. And people will vote with their wallets.
Last edited by Admiral on Wed May 24, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:53 pm All this over $8/month is embarrassing for our community.
Hey if you save $8/mo for 50 years... with compounding interest... :D
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Admiral wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:54 pm
pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:53 pm All this over $8/month is embarrassing for our community.
We subscribe to Netflix, Prime, BritBox, Acorn, PBS, Hulu, Paramount+, AppleTV, MHz, F1, HBO. We don’t need all of those in our home and apartment, and I’m not usually a cheapskate, but it would be bizarre to pay double what we pay now, much less an additional tariff for our son at college, to retain what we think is use within the guidelines of what we understood to be “our household.”
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:32 pm We currently have "family" plans for most of the streaming services and the cost is shared among my parents and several siblings. I believe technically the Netflix account is in my mom's name. If this is the new policy, won't be much of an issue doing without Netflix.
That's all fine and dandy. We have zero issues going without their service and I don't feel bad that I violated some policy that wasn't all that clear and that a huge percentage of their customers were also technically violating.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:05 pm
We subscribe to Netflix, Prime, BritBox, Acorn, PBS, Hulu, Paramount+, AppleTV, MHz, F1, HBO. We don’t need all of those in our home and apartment, and I’m not usually a cheapskate, but it would be bizarre to pay double what we pay now, much less an additional tariff for our son at college, to retain what we think is use within the guidelines of what we understood to be “our household.”
+1
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

DD is away 8 months of the year, and uses Netflix majority with me and DW only using 1-2 times per month. I already pay $15.49 for HD on two devices. No way I am paying an additional $7.99 / month should my DD be deemed as non-household. This would drive the total cost of Netflix to $23.48 / month. There is nothing they offer that justifies this cost, so I will be cancelling Netflix if this goes live on my account. There are numerous other streaming services to choose from, so no loss to us. :twisted:
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Surely your child does not need 10 streaming services at college! So obviously your costs are not going to truly double. And they often have student plans.

I get that it has worked in the past, so it's an annoying new restriction. But imagine it is 15 years ago and you were subscribing to DirectTV. Should your college child also get to watch satellite for free when they are away at school? I understand where Netflix is coming from.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

the_wiki wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:29 pm
Surely your child does not need 10 streaming services at college! So obviously your costs are not going to truly double. And they often have student plans.

I get that it has worked in the past, so it's an annoying new restriction. But imagine it is 15 years ago and you were subscribing to DirectTV. Should your college child also get to watch satellite for free when they are away at school? I understand where Netflix is coming from.
If your DirectTV plan covered multiple devices that could be used outside the home then... yes. Because it's not "free" it's been paid for.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We'll see the results. They are definitely going to be losing some customers; whether it evens out with others subscribing remains to be seen.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I wasn’t sufficiently clear. Forget about my son (who truly doesn’t need 10 services). However, if all of our subscriptions changed to a “Netflix model,” our MA home and NYC apartment (occupied 6-8 days/month) would require 11 duplicate streaming subscriptions. In real life, we would probably cut down on our subscriptions. My point was simply that it can add up, in response to pizzy saying it was a lot of fuss over $8/month.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:26 pm DD is away 8 months of the year, and uses Netflix majority with me and DW only using 1-2 times per month. I already pay $15.49 for HD on two devices. No way I am paying an additional $7.99 / month should my DD be deemed as non-household. This would drive the total cost of Netflix to $23.48 / month. There is nothing they offer that justifies this cost, so I will be cancelling Netflix if this goes live on my account. There are numerous other streaming services to choose from, so no loss to us. :twisted:
Why would you cancel instead of just letting DD use it?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:35 pm

I wasn’t sufficiently clear. Forget about my son (who truly doesn’t need 10 services). However, if all of our subscriptions changed to a “Netflix model,” our MA home and NYC apartment (occupied 6-8 days/month) would require 11 duplicate streaming subscriptions. In real life, we would probably cut down on our subscriptions. My point was simply that it can add up, in response to pizzy saying it was a lot of fuss over $8/month.
But this fuss (this thread) is about $8/month. No need to extrapolate to the what if of every other streaming service changing.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Under Netflix's new policy you could watch both at your MA home and NYC apartment from a single non-shared account. There will be no need for a duplicate account. Even in countries with an extra home fee, it's much lower than the standard account.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

KyleAAA wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Under Netflix's new policy you could watch both at your MA home and NYC apartment from a single non-shared account. There will be no need for a duplicate account. Even in countries with an extra home fee, it's much lower than the standard account.
With no need to do so on a mobile device? That wasn’t my take-away. How am I “authenticating” the TV at my second home?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 pm

With no need to do so on a mobile device? That wasn’t my take-away. How am I “authenticating” the TV at my second home?
You authenticate the TV from a mobile device.

Lots of streaming services have that now where you scan a QR code, log in from mobile device, that authenticates the TV.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Meh. Not sure. I travel for a living and log into Netflix from lots of hotel TV’s. If it becomes a hassle Im done with it. Not going to jump through hoops. Their content is starting to become lackluster anyway.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:30 pm

Lots of streaming services have that now where you scan a QR code, log in from mobile device, that authenticates the TV.
I’m familiar with that (login on mobile and enter the 5 or 6 characters displayed on the TV), but the Netflix description sounded different. I probably misunderstood it.
Bcdkgf

Post by Bcdkgf »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:44 pm
pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:30 pm

I’m familiar with that (login on mobile and enter the 5 or 6 characters displayed on the TV), but the Netflix description sounded different. I probably misunderstood it.
I put the channel on my Roku and enter my ID and password, if necessary I go to my wired desktop (no wifi, no bluetooth) and log into a website for my secrete decoder ring code. If I want to watch streaming TV in a hotel I pack up my Roku and attach it to the hotel TV. and wifi. It seems like Netflix should recognize my Roku as mine wherever I go. When I rented a cabin in a state park, I used my cell as a hotspot for my Roku.
Women and men plan, the Gods laugh.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I predict their customer support costs are going to rise.

I canceled our Netflix last September when my daughter went off to college. The glory days were over; it was now log in, browse for 10 minutes, see good shows I have watched 3 times already or shows I tried but did not like, then log off. Nothing new. I can honestly say I do not miss my browse-nothing-to-watch-then-log-off sessions at all. In 2009 or 2012 or whenever it was we started Netflix, it was around $8 (no commercials) and tons of stuff to watch. It was indeed the glory days of streaming and we loved it. Now, I just keep seeing the same old shows again and again.

When I cancelled, my plan was wait a while until they had time to get more shows. Now with this, I talked to my daughter and we both agreed this is getting way too complicated. Forget them. If they want to charge for 1 or 2 or 3 screens or whatever, fine. But when I start to have to read about IP addresses and 30 days log in, etc. it simply is not worth it.

My son never watched and my wife only watched shows with me. So they don't miss it.

Our library lets us order DVDs for free.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We were on the last 30 minutes of the last episode of "Better Call Saul". Wife and I went to watch it and it had a message about confirming we're in the same home as the account holder....I guess we'll watch the last 30 minutes of the show at my mom's house Saturday after doing her yard work.

We won't otherwise miss Netflix. We used it very sparingly, to binge specific shows.
cshell2

Post by cshell2 »

prd1982 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:24 am
pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:46 am
rob wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:41 am They cannot use IP only and they will likely never say explicitly since they don't want people reversing the criteria.... BUT

If they hit me with this nonsense I'll cancel and I can guarantee that I will not be one that moves back after time. They are already marginal utility with the vastly reduced catalog compared to the past and I don't have any NF only series I watch, so making a noise is not going to end well. They are betting I'm the minority.
They expect many cancellations. They are ok with that.

During the pilot in Spain, about 1,000,000 people canceled in 3 months and it was considered successful.
You have only given 1/2 of the data. How many people joined?
Yes, I can't find where I read it, but they said there was an initial drop in subscribers, but that was followed by an upswing.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

I have mooched from my parent's Netflix account for a few years. After seeing this thread... I tried to log in a few minutes ago. My access is now denied!

I have no plans to pay the $15/ month... and my parents told me that they planned to cancel their account if I ever got locked out. The newer material Netfix offers has not been very good lately.

That said... no hard feelings towards Netflix. They have every right to do this.

--- Brian
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

I'm paying $15.49 for 2 users. It's just me and wife at my house with never more than one of us using it. My son lives alone at his house and uses our account. Two households but never more than 2 users on at a time. Time will tell if they crack down on us. I don't feel like we are cheating because were paying for 2 users.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Long time Netflix subscribers. We have never shared our subscription outside our household. Traveling now and cannot log onto to our Netflix account to cast at our hotel (error message at log in). No issue with other streaming services. I didn’t realize before we left that I needed to open the mobile app at home on my new phone within the last 30 days.

PITA. First time I have seriously considered canceling Netflix.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:13 am Long time Netflix subscribers. We have never shared our subscription outside our household. Traveling now and cannot log onto to our Netflix account to cast at our hotel (error message at log in). No issue with other streaming services. I didn’t realize before we left that I needed to open the mobile app at home on my new phone within the last 30 days.

PITA. First time I have seriously considered canceling Netflix.
What a nuisance.

Apparently if you log out and back in you might get emailed a code that gives you short term access.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

brian91480 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:40 pm I have mooched from my parent's Netflix account for a few years. After seeing this thread... I tried to log in a few minutes ago. My access is now denied!

I have no plans to pay the $15/ month... and my parents told me that they planned to cancel their account if I ever got locked out. The newer material Netfix offers has not been very good lately.

That said... no hard feelings towards Netflix. They have every right to do this.

--- Brian
Exactly our situation. We weren't aware that we were "mooching", my mom has the premium account (so it can be watched on 6 different devices at once). I do agree that the the company has every right to do this. The newer content has been garbage for several years outside of a handful of shows and I'm pretty sure my mom will just cancel now.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We pay for the premium tier because we have large 4K TVs, so the quality of the stream matters to us. So, even though we can stream on many streams simultaneously, we probably very seldom are doing so on more than 2 at any time, and probably 95% of the time, on one only.

Perhaps Netflix should include some metric (eg, average streams in use) to decide if we should be forced to pay the additional $8/month.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

I think the comments are about more than the additional $7.99 per month. There are posts, for example, that mention the cost doubling, which may be true for the lower tiers. Other posts interpreting terms of service seem to get challenged back and forth. Perhaps the company has not informed it's current clients sufficiently.

For their bottom line, I'm sure that the company has found statistics that show the average amount of sharing far exceeds what the company desires.

If I had to guess, I'd say the average subscriber has 2 additional "households" using the account. So they've decided to change the terms, and charge additional for each location. They've built in protection for the average traveller, less so for the college student. For a friend or parent, I suppose the company has decided to test how much additional you'll pay for those relationships.

If the company has predicted correctly, then they'll end up with more subscribers after an initial wave of cancellations. It's possible that what happened in other markets will not happen here, though. Another thought I had was that I can easily replace the company's B-level content with something cheaper or free. So I do have other options, and will just have to see how I feel about this increase.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

Target2019 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:57 am.

If the company has predicted correctly, then they'll end up with more subscribers after an initial wave of cancellations. It's possible that what happened in other markets will not happen here, though. Another thought I had was that I can easily replace the company's B-level content with something cheaper or free. So I do have other options, and will just have to see how I feel about this increase.
It's not just subscriber count that matters to Netflix.

When they bid for rights to content it matters who will see it.

If my household is an Australian address, then it's possible in the future that even on holiday in Mexico I will only be able to see Australian content. This will be a huge win for Netflix who often have to give assurances a deal with them in the US wont harm exclusive deals in China etc.

Think if how many VPN ads you see telling you how to bypass geo restricted content? This would be a final nail in the coffin for that.

So far, bringing in these restrictions has not lead to sustained income loss. And going forwards it will make Netflix negotiations easier and cheaper.

As other services appear and injected cash dries up all prices will rise.
pascal

Post by pascal »

Admiral wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:41 pm
freakyfriday wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:42 pm
Admiral wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:27 pm
That's incorrect. Their terms (try to) define a household but they do not use (or do not care to use) location-based data as part of that definition. It's posted upthread. That's why you can stream to your tablet at the beach, or watch Netflix at the office.
It's right here https://help.netflix.com/en/node/124925

Household is a set of devices connected to the internet from the same place. Your definition is pure fiction. But I wont be replying again on this chain, spread misinformation as much as you like. Not even Netflix really cares if their behaviour on VPNs has been anything to go by. Once they secure rights they restart turning a blind eye.
My definition is not pure fiction, nor is it misinformation.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24853

Pertinent info:
Using Netflix outside of your home
Netflix is easy to use when on the go or traveling. Use Netflix as usual to watch on your portable devices - like a tablet, laptop, or mobile phone - or sign into a new TV, like at a hotel or a holiday rental.
Note that there is no limitation that you must, or can only, watch on your home network, or that all devices must be on the same network at the same time (assuming you pay for multiple screens.)
You are both correct - but your interpretation is wrong. A household is where you can use multiple screens on the same paid account. You can use the same paid account on the go when outside your house - as it says in the link you posted - "when on the go or traveling."
The link goes on to say
If you have a second home or travel frequently to the same location, follow these steps:"
But these terms doe neither ascribe to your or the IRS definition of a "household" is or what your interpretation of "multiple screens" are.

Netflix maybe the first to crackdown (maybe?), other streaming services which are more prone to loss will follow.
"Never underestimate the ability of a bad situation to get worse...rapidly." Ninegrams
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm
AllMostThere wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:26 pm DD is away 8 months of the year, and uses Netflix majority with me and DW only using 1-2 times per month. I already pay $15.49 for HD on two devices. No way I am paying an additional $7.99 / month should my DD be deemed as non-household. This would drive the total cost of Netflix to $23.48 / month. There is nothing they offer that justifies this cost, so I will be cancelling Netflix if this goes live on my account. There are numerous other streaming services to choose from, so no loss to us. :twisted:
I already pay Netflix $15.49 for "two" devices to stream. Just because DD is offsite away at college, she is still part of my household. It's not like I'm sharing a subscription with BIL or friend who not part of my household. Additional $7.99 is just another money grab and adds no value to my overall spending. $15.49 has limited value to me personally, but DD enjoys it, so I keep it. DD is in agreement that there is zero value for an "additional" $7.99 per month. Until it happens this is all hypothetical - if Netflix changes their T&C's with this money grab, then I will change my spending habits and cancel their service.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

AllMostThere wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 am
pizzy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm
I already pay Netflix $15.49 for "two" devices to stream. Just because DD is offsite away at college, she is still part of my household. It's not like I'm sharing a subscription with BIL or friend who not part of my household. Additional $7.99 is just another money grab and adds no value to my overall spending. $15.49 has limited value to me personally, but DD enjoys it, so I keep it. DD is in agreement that there is zero value for an "additional" $7.99 per month. Until it happens this is all hypothetical - if Netflix changes their T&C's with this money grab, then I will change my spending habits and cancel their service.
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

"$15.49 has limited value to me personally, but DD enjoys it, so I keep it. DD is in agreement that there is zero value for an "additional" $7.99 per month."

I meant, why can't DD use it at $15.49, and you don't use it, then no $7.99 fee. Then DD's location becomes what matters, the "household" for lack of a better term.

Also, people are defining household the way the government does which has little relevance to how Netflix chooses to define it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

pascal wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:10 am [snip…]
Netflix maybe the first to crackdown (maybe?), other streaming services which are more prone to loss will follow.
That’s my concern. I can afford another $96/year. Frankly, I can afford another $960/year, but at some point I will rationalize which streams I want to keep at 2 homes, which I will pay for at 1 home, and which I will say goodbye to.
Bcdkgf

Post by Bcdkgf »

According to Netflix Instructions, "extra members cannot be added to partner packages or third-party billed accounts"

If I am interpreting this correctly, if you have a package deal with T-Mobile, you cannot add the extra 2 off site members, even if you already pay extra additional for Premium Service and pay the additional $7.99 each. Has anyone with a T-Mobile account tried this yet?
Women and men plan, the Gods laugh.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

It's likely we won't end up back in the cable days as piracy was rampant then. Netflix simply added a cheap and easy alternative to piracy and it took off. It's in no one's interest to return to those days and the usage of IPTV is sky rocketing so it's a serious risk.

Netflix has also acted as a catalyst for VPN becoming a standard tool among 2023s average consumer.

To be frank I'm not sure what people can not understand about netflix's new rule. And suspect people are being disingenuous to some extent.

All devices on a single membership must connect at least once a month from the household IP. If you don't you can provide a code to maintain access. The household IP is determined by the most active TV IP or manually set.

Every streaming service already has it ins terms that the service is not for sharing outside a household and not for public broadcasting etc.

For 90% of people this will just mean they can not access geo-locked content. The remaining 10% might have to faff about with home VPNs or codes.

I have several subscriptions that require me to access them every X weeks from corporate networks and I do that with my work VPN or horror of horrors going into the office.

Not being able to use a third party account as part payment for a multiple household account is really frustrating however.
rob

Post by rob »

freakyfriday wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:10 am To be frank I'm not sure what people can not understand about netflix's new rule. And suspect people are being disingenuous to some extent.

All devices on a single membership must connect at least once a month from the household IP. If you don't you can provide a code to maintain access. The household IP is determined by the most active TV IP or manually set.
If that's the case then I'll have to ask Marriott to ship the TV from my next room home first (it's the TV that connects to netflix, not casting from my phone).... I'll wait to see what the rules really work out to be... then cancel if they annoy me. Their content is so marginal, its not a huge loss either way... just annoying.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

rob wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:28 am
freakyfriday wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:10 am To be frank I'm not sure what people can not understand about netflix's new rule. And suspect people are being disingenuous to some extent.

If that's the case then I'll have to ask Marriott to ship the TV from my next room home first (it's the TV that connects to netflix, not casting from my phone).... I'll wait to see what the rules really work out to be... then cancel if they annoy me. Their content is so marginal, its not a huge loss either way... just annoying.
This is not directed at just you. Many people on this thread are complaining about content (I agree), why haven't you canceled yet?
rob

Post by rob »

pizzy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:42 am This is not directed at just you. Many people on this thread are complaining about content (I agree), why haven't you canceled yet?
I should have put a wink on that sentence.... To your question - I find it useful when traveling and will never put in my amazon prime creds because there is too must other stuff attached to that if the next person starts using it whereas NF is isolated and I don't find it a risk to use on hotel TV's. I also like to not worry about tripping over a pay show - like prime, google, peacock etc that mixes free and paid content.

I find enough utility but it's not my first stop like it was in the past so it needs to be frictionless - If I have to jump thru hoops then I'll just stop it and swap to an alternate. This thread is the most I've given it any thought in forever....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I pay $20/month for a multi-screen account for Netflix.
I pay $6.99/month for Acorn TV.
I am paying for Amazon Prime anyway. I pay them less than $10 extra a month for Britbox. I vary this, but I only ever use one extra streaming service through Prime.
My daughter, who lives with me, pays $10/month for Peacock.
So when you look at Netflix as a percentage of my subscriptions, it's not necessarily a good value anymore if I cannot share it with my family (which includes two friends I consider family).

For me at least, the Netflix cost is a consideration as a portion of my streaming budget. It seems like it is not so much a good value for the money anymore.

I'm not embarrassed.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

rob wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:28 am

:mrgreen:

Think this is the best approach either netflix is out competed or not. Time will tell who puts up with them.

Depending on where in the world you live IPTV is not clearly illegal and just as convenient as Netflix for home usage.
missingdonut

Post by missingdonut »

pizzy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:42 amThis is not directed at just you. Many people on this thread are complaining about content (I agree), why haven't you canceled yet?
It's just human nature at play. It's easier to do nothing and continue to pay for the service than it is to go through the cancellation process, so that's what people tend to do. That's why so many companies want to get people to buy their service on a recurring monthly payment -- people just roll on inertia!

A lot of people in this thread (and elsewhere, to be fair) are currently paying for a service that they don't love as much as they used to, but the effort to cancel wasn't worth it until now where Netflix is making a significant change in its value proposition. It's not the $8/month at issue, but the totality of the situation. Given the recent trajectory in its content, I think Netflix chose a poor time to make this change, but the C-suite has made their decision so their customers will make their own decision as well.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

missingdonut wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:40 pm
pizzy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:42 amThis is not directed at just you. Many people on this thread are complaining about content (I agree), why haven't you canceled yet?
It's just human nature at play. It's easier to do nothing and continue to pay for the service than it is to go through the cancellation process, so that's what people tend to do. That's why so many companies want to get people to buy their service on a recurring monthly payment -- people just roll on inertia!

A lot of people in this thread (and elsewhere, to be fair) are currently paying for a service that they don't love as much as they used to, but the effort to cancel wasn't worth it until now where Netflix is making a significant change in its value proposition. It's not the $8/month at issue, but the totality of the situation. Given the recent trajectory in its content, I think Netflix chose a poor time to make this change, but the C-suite has made their decision so their customers will make their own decision as well.
Good point, and it served as a call to action for me. Thanks to you both!

I just cancelled Netflix and signed up for Kanopy through my local library. (I also have Acorn TV, Prime, and Britbox). Kanopy looks a bit cerebral: it will be a better fit for me than Netflix.