Investor protection? CREST?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
hker

Investor protection? CREST?

Post by hker »

Dear all,

Since Credit Suisse crisis :( I have been looking for ways to mitigate damages in case of stock broker insolvency.

Take Swissquote lu as an example, they offer 100k Euro cash protection and "assets are held securely by a custodian". How are assets held by custodian be secured then? Losses in case of Trading 212 insolvency, on the other hand, is insured until 31 Jan 2024 (as of May 2023) with ceiling of 1 million Euro. I assume the insurance covers both cash and assets... or no :confused ?

Instead of tracing protection policy of each brokers, another idea is to consider CREST, which seems to offer an option of registering asset under my name. But there is little information regarding how it works. Interactive Broker, in a private inquiry message, tells me they can buy stocks via CREST but CREST account is under IB's name. How to personally register a CREST account?

If you read this post all the way to this point, I thank you for your attention!