Car oil leaking?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AQ

Car oil leaking?

Post by AQ »

I purchased a brand new car several months ago. Last week, I took the car to the dealership for its initial oil change. However, I have recently observed oily spots on the ground where I usually park my car, leading me to suspect a possible oil leak. This is an unfamiliar occurrence for me, and I would appreciate your insights on the matter. What could be the potential cause of this issue, and what should I do?
Doom&Gloom

Re: Car oil leaking?

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Take it back to the dealership's service department and tell them. At this stage it is still their problem to fix.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Extremely unusual for a new car to leak oil.

What kind of car?

I had a suv once that had a piece of structural steel and skid plate tha crossed under very close to the oil drain plug. The initial flow when opening the plug would hit that support and skid plate and then it would drip for a day or two.

Hopefully yours is that simple. I learned to just taking it through and automatic car wash that had an undercarriage sprayer after any oil changes.

It’s also possible they crossed the threads on the drain plug.

Either way, take it back, should be an easy solution.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The person who was supposed to tighten the drain plug of the oil pan failed to do so properly. Get that car back to the offending party and have them fix it at no charge to you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

livesoft wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:36 pm The person who was supposed to tighten the drain plug of the oil pan failed to do so properly. Get that car back to the offending party and have them fix it at no charge to you.
Could be other reasons, for example, oil filter not properly tightened.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

The high school kid who changed your oil (at a dealer, right?) spilled oil while trying to pour it into the engine. Like said above, it's a new car. If the dealer did the oil change, bring it to them. If not, bring it to whoever did the oil change.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i would only take it back to the dealership if it's under warranty (sounds like it is if it's new) so that they cover anything, but otherwise I find it odd if the mechanic is at fault that you'd want them working on it again. Kinda like going to a surgeon who screws up your back surgery. Would you really go back and say, now doc, can you fix this again?

i think the more important question is why are you going to a dealership to have your oil changed?

I wouldn't take my car to a dealer for mechanical work other than for a recall, which would be fixed for free. OP, do you not have a trusted mechanic?

it's not true that you need to take the car back to the dealer to maintain the warranty (though this myth persists), but you might need to keep records from your mechanic, unless there's something you signed that says you must get all repairs done by the dealer or warranty is void. But if so, why would you buy a car under such restrictions?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

AQ wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 pm I purchased a brand new car several months ago. Last week, I took the car to the dealership for its initial oil change. However, I have recently observed oily spots on the ground where I usually park my car, leading me to suspect a possible oil leak. This is an unfamiliar occurrence for me, and I would appreciate your insights on the matter. What could be the potential cause of this issue, and what should I do?
It may be dripping oil from a sloppy oil change, actually, it is very likely to be that because new vehicles leave the factory pretty well sealed up. When the filter and/or drain plug get removed, the oil hits the frame and can drip for days. Yes, this is as common for dealership oil changes as it is at the quick lube places. It is a sign of terrible quality control and poor management.

I suggest you take the car back and have them clean up their mess or show you where the leak is coming from. Then, when you get the request for a review, write it the way you see it. Believe me, they have had the complaint before and they just continue to ignore it.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Trade it in for a BEV.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
twh

Post by twh »

The dealer probably messed up the oil change. A number of ways for that to happen -- some more harmful than others. Happened on my BMW...the first number of oil changes are included. The first one leaked. That car has a paper oil filter and there is a big o-ring on the oil filter housing cap and it got crimped when they put it back on and oil leaked out. Take it back.
usnaron

Post by usnaron »

AQ wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 pm I purchased a brand new car several months ago. Last week, I took the car to the dealership for its initial oil change. However, I have recently observed oily spots on the ground where I usually park my car, leading me to suspect a possible oil leak. This is an unfamiliar occurrence for me, and I would appreciate your insights on the matter. What could be the potential cause of this issue, and what should I do?
Could be a car that requires crush washer on drain plug and they forgot to put it on before tightening
GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 »

usnaron wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:33 am
AQ wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:18 pm I took the car to the dealership for its initial oil change. However, I have recently observed oily spots on the ground
Could be a car that requires crush washer on drain plug and they forgot to put it on before tightening
They probably didn't forget the washer, there was a shortage of them for a short time and just used the old one.
John | * Friends and family and money | * What you recommend will have periods of underperformance. You will be blamed. | * You avoid the suspicion of "self-serving." by Taylor Larimore
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Open the hood and look at the oil fill cap on the top of the engine block. Maybe it is loose or missing. That happened to me once.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

I think more dealers are sucking the oil out instead of draining it from the bottom.
That’s Mercedes method that it wants its dealers to use, supposedly they design their engines to better accomplish that method.
Even the oil filter is right on top at the front, no need to get under the car.
I think some other manufacturers are doing that also, Audi?
Then some mechanics might be doing it because depending on the filter it might be easier than raising the car and removing those plastic panels from underneath.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
JPH

Post by JPH »

Nobody here can help you. Take it back to the dealer and let them diagnose the problem and fix it. Before you do that check the oil level, and if it is very low add some.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

New car comes with full warranty for several years. Yours should be under warranty (unless you been driving for rideshare service or taken continuous cross country trips and already exceeded warranty miles), and dealership should be able to check and fix the leak at no cost to you.

Action item for you is - take it to the dealership where you bought or to a dealership of same manufacturer and have it check your vehicle out.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
meebers

Post by meebers »

I bought a new car and a couple of days later noticed Transmission fluid on the floor. Took it back to the dealer, took a whole day and they found out that the transmission pan had no sealant applied. Robot at the factory must have been at lunch. :shock: Its been 10 years now and still nice and dry.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Yep, take it back and ask to get it checked out. Tell them it was only noticeable after the recent oil change. If it's the dealer, ask for a ticket so that there's documentation that you took it in asking them to check for oil leakage. They should be able to figure out if it's a loose oil filter, incorrectly torqued drain plug or problem with the washer. This is not necessarily an uncommon problem so they'll know what to check. Then see.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

About 20 years ago, I took a new car in for its 1st oil change. It was dark when I finally got home & I parked it in the driveway. The next morning when I walked to the car to leave for work, I couldn’t. The vast majority of the engine oil was puddled in a 10 ft. diameter area on the drive. The dealership sent a flatbed out to pick up the car & they also sent out a couple of people to clean up the mess they created.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:01 pm The high school kid who changed your oil (at a dealer, right?) spilled oil while trying to pour it into the engine. Like said above, it's a new car. If the dealer did the oil change, bring it to them. If not, bring it to whoever did the oil change.
That was my thinking. The rookie spilled the oil in the engine compartment and its dribbling out. Make sure the dealer cleans it well, so it won't attract grime.