Transfer from TDA to IBKR to access Irish-domiciled ETFs?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ForeignInvestor

Transfer from TDA to IBKR to access Irish-domiciled ETFs?

Post by ForeignInvestor »

The imminent shift of my TD Ameritrade account to Schwab is making me wonder if I should finally do something to minimise my exposure to the high inheritance tax on non-US citizens. My debt and equity portfolio is in the low six digits, which means that any amount above $60,000 will be heavily taxed in the eventuality of my kicking the bucket. I benefit from the US-India tax treaty but that doesn’t cover inheritance tax.

Would I be able to buy Irish-domiciled ETFs with a US-based Interactive Brokers account? If so it probably makes sense to simply make a transfer from TD Ameritrade to IBKR rather than wait to be shifted to Schwab. Then I could gradually transition out of US ETFs to equivalent Irish-domiciled ETFs.

But it’s not clear to me if that is possible with a US IBKR account. And I imagine I'd have to sell my investments and wire the money out of the US if I wanted to open, say, an India-based IBKR account. The website isn’t particularly illuminating. Suggestions welcome.