1099-B Fidelity Supplemental combines Box A/B

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
teamDE

1099-B Fidelity Supplemental combines Box A/B

Post by teamDE »

Hi all,

Nothing like last minute tax prep. I have a 1099-B form from Fidelity for an account used for RSUs. The main part of the 1099-B is organized into sections Short Term Reported to IRS, Short Term NOT reported, LT reported, and LT NOT reported.

Because the RSU are taxed on vest, it's important to set the cost basis correctly for calculating gains. This is where the Supplemental section comes in to play. However, the Supplemental section is divided only into Short Term and Long Term. It seems to lump the transactions for Reported and Not Reported together. Do I need to separate them out and add up the new corrected basis for each reporting type? Why aren't they separated and organized the same way?

Thanks!

Update: I think the reason due to having ESPP sales and RSU sales. The ESPP have a reported basis and the RSUs do not. The Supplemental denotes which are QSP (ESPP I gather) and which are RSU so I reckon I can suss it out. I'll make four entries into FreeTaxUSA though which I think will make four 8949s, but thats ok.

https://workplaceservices.fidelity.com/ ... _RS_PA.pdf
Topic Author
teamDE

Re: 1099-B Fidelity Supplemental combines Box A/B

Post by teamDE »

A year later and im still confused by this. I'm actually working with a CPA now who did all sorts of "math" to come up with the final STG and LTGs. However, can't you simply use the Supplemental section's provided proceeds, basis, and disallowed totals? In other words, given all the info in the Supplemental section, do you even need to look at the main section of the 1099?

https://workplaceservices.fidelity.com/ ... _RS_PA.pdf

Thanks
Topic Author
teamDE

Re: 1099-B Fidelity Supplemental combines Box A/B

Post by teamDE »

Anyone with experience with this? Thanks!