how to hide new vertical white sidebar in Google Maps?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
biscuit5

how to hide new vertical white sidebar in Google Maps?

Post by biscuit5 »

See image. how do you hide or remove this? it wasn't here a week ago. Its pointless and takes up space on a typical laptop screen. Its in Chrome, FFox, Edge etc. Thanks.

AerialP

Re: how to hide new vertical white sidebar in Google Maps?

Post by AerialP »

Google Maps Support has a recent entry for it: https://support.google.com/maps/thread/208650775?hl=en
In short, you cannot hide it other than to enter a search term then it gives you the option to minimize it fully to the side. Inelegant workaround for now.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

There was a time when Google interfaces were minimal and efficient. Them days are gone.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

There was a time when Google Maps displays were information-dense. Nowhere near as dense as a paper road map, of course, but dense. Those days are long gone.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

AerialP wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:00 pm Google Maps Support has a recent entry for it: https://support.google.com/maps/thread/208650775?hl=en
In short, you cannot hide it other than to enter a search term then it gives you the option to minimize it fully to the side. Inelegant workaround for now.
Thanks, did see a bunch of irritated support tickets at Google asking how to remove it and did run across that. Oddly, if you search, the vertical bar is still there even after Maps lists the search result- it does absolutely nothing. :confused

Wondering why the 'hide' feature after the search isn't just standard without searching.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Add the new “Bing” toolbar on the right side of the screen in Edge that can’t be permanently removed without a registry edit. We are all caught vertical toolbar battle!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I rarely use maps on my desktop so I had to look. Had you not brought it up I would not have noticed it. It is a small percentage of the real estate on my monitor.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Try Open Street Map

Doesn't have as many features as Google Maps, but does provide nice maps.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:30 pm Try Open Street Map

Doesn't have as many features as Google Maps, but does provide nice maps.
I use HereWeGo and Apple Maps from time to time but I'm not sure they have web sites. I only use them for directions - mainly if I get diverted off the highway due to an accident.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

saw today if you click the hamburger (three horizontal lines) at the top of the white bar there is a button that allows you to show or hide the sidebar. It was really irritating as it served no purpose whatsoever (for me) it just took up screen space.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

biscuit5 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:24 am saw today if you click the hamburger (three horizontal lines) at the top of the white bar there is a button that allows you to show or hide the sidebar. It was really irritating as it served no purpose whatsoever (for me) it just took up screen space.
Thanks, that worked, although on my IMac it took up less than 5% of the screen. Now if I could only get rid of the ads on almost every other site I go to that show me products I've been searching for lately, as if to remind me that I need to spend more money.

Lately I've been searching for leather furniture, so almost everywhere I go online I see leather furniture surrounding the screen on each side and in between paragraphs on articles I'm reading. I suppose I'd better not search for any new recipes or the corresponding deluge of food images will cause me to ruin my diet.

Curses on you, Chrome!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

vested1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:36 pm Thanks, that worked, although on my IMac it took up less than 5% of the screen. Now if I could only get rid of the ads on almost every other site I go to that show me products I've been searching for lately, as if to remind me that I need to spend more money.
Use a different browser for all browsing other than Google services. I use Chrome for Google services (maps, email, docs, calendar) and nothing else. Never log into Google on the other browser.

For almost everything else, I use Brave (Opera is another good option). For real privacy I open up a virtual machine and use Firefox in a Linux machine. I rarely use search but when I do, I use the VM.