Watch suggestions for solo backpacking - Garmin or other? Solar/topo/health/emergency monitoring?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YoungSisyphus

Watch suggestions for solo backpacking - Garmin or other? Solar/topo/health/emergency monitoring?

Post by YoungSisyphus »

Hey there,

I am looking for a watch recommendation and wondering if anyone here does much backpacking or hiking. When I ran a marathon, I was using a Garmin Forerunner and found it beneficial for my training. But am open to a different brand if there's a better solution.

I am now getting into longer, multi-day solo backpacking trips. I am looking for recommendations on a watch that would do a few things. I am fine sacrificing weight and size for these features:
1. Have access to topographic maps of areas for navigation.
2. Be able to last for a long time, perhaps through solar power or strong battery management.
3. Be helpful for health monitoring for on the trail AND for daily use: I'd like to use it to track runs in addition to hikes and other workouts, along with heart rate data and maybe other health data I am not thinking of.
4. Be able to be used in event of an emergency - I am wondering if I may need a "beacon" instead of just relying on a watch. Since I am in locations with no cell service and alone, I'd like to have something to trigger just in case.

Thanks
Topic Author
YoungSisyphus

Re: Watch suggestions for solo backpacking - Garmin or other? Solar/topo/health/emergency monitoring?

Post by YoungSisyphus »

After using Garmin's watch compare feature, I selected:

Fenix 7X Solar (999.99)
Instinct Crossover Solar (499.99)
Instinct 2 Solar (599.99)
Tactix 7 Pro Edition (1,299)

The Fenix 7X and Tactix physical sizes are identical. They both have additional GPS bands to improve coordinates, and do topographic maps.

Cheaper Fenix models have reduced GPS bands they operate from and lower battery life.

The Tactix editions scream "tacticool" to me, so I'll probably pass, plus I don't need night vision settings and will not be jumping out of airplanes (lol).

So it seems like the Fenix series is the best model for my use case, but the price tag is high. It seems like Garmin is the right brand choice since they have great maps, and I also researched their satellite beacons, like the InReach series which may be the route I end up going.
livesoft

Re: Watch suggestions for solo backpacking - Garmin or other? Solar/topo/health/emergency monitoring?

Post by livesoft »

I find it odd that you are not asking these questions on appropriate subreddits which have active forums and knowledgeable backpackers.

While I have a Garmin watch, I do not and would not use it for navigation nor emergencies. I have a Garmin inReach Mini (there is now a Mini 2) satellite communicator (for which I have a paid subscription) bluetoothed to my smart phone the same as my Garmin watch. I use offline maps in my phone AND hardcopy custom maps that I have made with caltopo.

Sure you could get a Garmin Solar Instinct 2, but the reality is that many backpackers will bring a lightweight power bank such as a Nitecore NB10000 to keep their electronics charged up as needed while away from an electrical outlet. Since one has to buy food every 4 to 10 days, one recharges their power bank in town when resupplying.

Reading a map on a phone is so much better than reading a map on a watch.

Another thing: If you think your watch will not remain charged enough for your trips, then consider that two separate $150 watches used in sequence is cheaper than a $500+ watch with a bigger battery AND two watches may weigh less than big metal on your wrist.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
YoungSisyphus

Post by YoungSisyphus »

livesoft wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:10 pm I find it odd that you are not asking these questions on appropriate subreddits which have active forums and knowledgeable backpackers.

While I have a Garmin watch, I do not and would not use it for navigation nor emergencies. I have a Garmin inReach Mini (there is now a Mini 2) satellite communicator (for which I have a paid subscription) bluetoothed to my smart phone the same as my Garmin watch. I use offline maps in my phone AND hardcopy custom maps that I have made with caltopo.

Sure you could get a Garmin Solar Instinct 2, but the reality is that many backpackers will bring a lightweight power bank such as a Nitecore NB10000 to keep their electronics charged up as needed while away from an electrical outlet. Since one has to buy food every 4 to 10 days, one recharges their power bank in town when resupplying.
You are probably right, I just generally like Bogleheads' perspective and find the advice to be better.

Thanks for the perspective. I am coming to the same conclusion for the price tag, I can just carry a paper map and compass. And carry an InReach.

Cool mention of the caltopo custom maps, I have never heard of them. Will check them out.
thinair

Post by thinair »

My Garmin Fenix 5x is nearing the end of its life so I'm looking for most of the same things. The new Garmin Forerunner 965 checks most of your boxes (and mine). Bright display, higher screen resolution, lots of memory, full-scale topo maps for free, decent battery life, $700. See https://www.dcrainmaker.com for full review and especially his comparisons among watches.

For emergencies a Garmin InReach is probably best (I have the original Delorme InReach Explorer). If you buy another brand, pay attention to the satellite network they use (InReach uses the Iridium network which has global coverage).

Use a power pack + small solar charger (20w or more) if your trip is long. Charge the power pack during the day (you can tie the solar panel to the pack if needed) and charge devices using the power pack at night. I'd skip the solar on the watch.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

thinair wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:34 pm[...]
Use a power pack + small solar charger (20w or more) if your trip is long. [...]
I will vehemently disagree about the use of solar based on trying solar panels and measuring the current they generate and charging power banks with solar. A trip cannot be "long" without resupplying food anyways, so in terms of weight (you are backpacking!) vs power delivered, power banks are a much better solution. I am happy to discuss more about this. t

Perhaps the lightest weight solar panels are the Lixada 1505 and LIxada 1613 which can be daisy-chained together, but despite them being listed at 10W, they actually are only capable of 4W in full sun at culmination. A 20W system is either falsifying specs or weighs way more than a power bank or more likely both those things. So yes they work, but there are lighter and better solutions. Great for car camping I suppose, but then why wouldn't one just use their car battery to recharge their electronics. ;)
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

+1 for the InReach Mini (or the Mini 2 that now replaces it).

The battery life should be ample for your needs, and the ability to send “I’m ok… and this is what’s going on with me” messages from your Bluetooth-connected phone in the backcountry is terrific.

I’ve used one on longer bike packing trips. Highly recommended.

Cyclist
thinair

Post by thinair »

livesoft wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm I will vehemently disagree about the use of solar…
My 3 panel, 21W Anker solar panel weighs 1.05 pounds. Along with a 10,000 mAh power bank I kept my Garmin watch, iPad, InReach, and Sony camera batteries charged on a 28 day, 200 mile trek in India and a 27 day, 200 mile trek in Nepal last fall. Did the same in 2017 and 2018. About half of the time the solar panel was used by staff to charge their phones ;) The key is to have a decent power bank and charge it anytime you have sun and time.

The ultra-thin, low-wattage panels are pretty useless, I agree. But the weight/power ratio for a decent panel is now reasonable for backpacking. A power bank is sufficient for trips of a week or less.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

thinair wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:56 pm
livesoft wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm I will vehemently disagree about the use of solar…
My 3 panel, 21W Anker solar panel weighs 1.05 pounds.
And that is exactly my point. I used a sub-100 g solar panel to keep my backpacking electronics charged for a few months without any power from the grid. And 2 panels would be about 7 ounces. Your 21W Anker is just a repackaged Lixada-like panels with a few wires and a bit of voltage regulator electronics. The reviews on Amazon for a 21W setup show that the highest useful output was about 11W which is even lower than my own measurements from a multi-panel setup. I could make the same thing for a fraction of the weight and cost and it would perform better. Indeed, I have done so.

And surely you did not carry 20+ days of food with you, so you and/or your porters resupplied along the way where there was probably electricity to charge power banks. But yes, if I did a 28-day backcountry remote trip with air-dropped supplies, then I would bring a solar panel but not a 1 pound one. My long trips have always had me resupply in a place that had an electrical outlet to charge my power bank.

But I realize that I am not going to make you change your mind just as you are not going to change mine. :sharebeer
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

YoungSisyphus wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:13 pm
livesoft wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:10 pm I find it odd that you are not asking these questions on appropriate subreddits which have active forums and knowledgeable backpackers.
You are probably right, I just generally like Bogleheads' perspective and find the advice to be better.
IDK if "subreddits" has become a generic term for any online forum or not, but if not, I'd suggest the OP pose the question at whiteblaze.net.

I'm a paper map and compass person, and my "dumbwatch" is only for telling time, setting alarms, and gauging my pace. The latter is helpful in terms of knowing when I should be looking for landmarks, trail turns, and so forth. I'm not a multi-day soloist, but I have on more than one occasion encountered hikers who were navigationally challenged when their tech malfunctioned. So have some backup skills if you primarily rely on tech for navigation.
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

I have a garmin fenix5s sapphire. And as another poster mentioned, I have never used it for navigation, only health monitoring. I use my phone the majority of time using either caltopo app or Gaia or onyx app. I do a ton of backcountry skiing and biking with it. Backcountry skiing requires a lot of navigation and the phone has worked well.

If money isn’t a major concern, I would look at the GPSMAP® 67iv plus a watch. Since it has inreach technology. Plus it has the full screen to navigate and is specced for almost a full week battery on tracking mode. I’d use a seperate watch for the health info. There is a downside to having a dual purpose emergency tool like that though. So you’ll have to weigh the pros/cons. There are also pros/cons with the inreach mini.

Safe to say as others have mentioned if your going out for long time I would have a small battery bank and small solar panel as backup.

There are also cheaper solutions to an SOS tool but they vary in coverage and communications.
Last edited by N10sive on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LivinGood

Post by LivinGood »

No watch. Nitecore NB 10000 or Goal Zero battery bank, InReach Mini 2, and Onyx Backcountry app on your phone. Works great for me.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Off topic but carry a really good whistle. Carries much further than yelling for help.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Cell phone has many uses in addition to keeping time. GPS app, compass, nearby food and lodging availability, nighttime reading and news. Call home when possible with cell service. Keep it turned off most days. Weight is about 4-6 oz. GPS works with no cell service providing you’ve downloaded map previously from WiFi or cell service when available. When visiting in town you can usually get wi-fi near the local library. Even if it’s closed.
If you must have a watch try solar power.
HVAC
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

To the OP

I hike quite a bit here in the Northeast and hike all over the country wherever I can

There isn't really an all in one solution with electronics (or watches) in what you are asking, but there are many great options across a few items and somethings that electronics can't replace

I use a Fenix 6 watch as more an activity tracker and to monitor heart rate and distance. I have used it before to confirm that I am on the right trail and have used it to get back to the trail when I went off trail in the desert not too long ago. It has a map you can view will hiking, but it is small - and although it is a great nav tool when needed, I wouldn't make it my sole nav source

Better for navigation is to use an ap like Alltrails or Gaia which will show you where you are, where the trails are and has many features to help you track back to your beginning if needed - I use it pretty much every hike I am on. BUT...electronics never should replace a map and a compass (phone batteries die particularly in the cold); if you are solo hiking over many nights this is indispensable and needs to be a mandatory part of the kit. Teach yourself to read and use maps with your compass (if you don't already know how)

Since I often do some solo hiking in very remote areas with no cell phone service, I did invest in an inreach Mini2 from Garmin which has been easy to set up and use. I think the plan I use is $14.95/mo with a annual commitment - able to send my wife a tracking link when I start and update her if necessary (and of course the emergency SOS option is there for an emergency)

The other electronic that is essential (and I know you didn't ask this but I will offer) is a headlamp or some other back up source of light (and extra batteries) - a large number of rescues in the northeast tend to be those who are using their phones for light and then the phone dies and they can't see the trail.

Have fun with your hikes!
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

OP,
My backcountry background is extensive. But I might be giving you something you already know. My apology..
Maps and map reading are essential for all who venture into the backcountry. You didn’t ask so I assume you have orientation skill. There are situations where electronic devices excel. A snowstorm can block visibility where electronic devices can be helpful. More commonly you can “see” your vehicle or other target destination on an electronic device when you aren’t in line of sight. You can see topography as well. Darkness renders orienteering nearly impossible even with great skill because of limited line of sight. If you’ve marked your target location you can follow to your destination using your flashlight. Again topography permitting. I’ve used cell phone with GAIA app in Amsterdam. Canals block direct navigation and street signs are impossible to decipher (language barrier). Finally, maps lack the granular information necessary to accurately arrive at the destination. Save yourself walking time and distance, valuable commodities at the end of the day. You’re burning daylight.
As others have said, electronics aren’t foolproof, redundancy is good. I rarely obtain maps because of inconvenience or laziness or cost or weight considerations. It’s only just a few hours are famous last words. Don’t follow my cavalier approach.
Backpacking in National Parks is easier unless you’re planning overland travel, off trail is different. Wilderness areas likely have good trail markers also off trail is more difficult.
On more than a day hike redundant methods, digital plus map depending on how far afield are advised. Like a map you need to download the appropriate maps before hand.
I’m passionate about this stuff. I’ve had some experiences where I didn’t get lost and written up in the newspaper.
HVAC
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

YoungSisyphus wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:49 am Hey there,

I am looking for a watch recommendation and wondering if anyone here does much backpacking or hiking. When I ran a marathon, I was using a Garmin Forerunner and found it beneficial for my training. But am open to a different brand if there's a better solution.

I am now getting into longer, multi-day solo backpacking trips. I am looking for recommendations on a watch that would do a few things. I am fine sacrificing weight and size for these features:
1. Have access to topographic maps of areas for navigation.
2. Be able to last for a long time, perhaps through solar power or strong battery management.
3. Be helpful for health monitoring for on the trail AND for daily use: I'd like to use it to track runs in addition to hikes and other workouts, along with heart rate data and maybe other health data I am not thinking of.
4. Be able to be used in event of an emergency - I am wondering if I may need a "beacon" instead of just relying on a watch. Since I am in locations with no cell service and alone, I'd like to have something to trigger just in case.

Thanks
I would recommend a Garmin InReach device and an iPhone with the Gaia app and a nice portable battery to recharge the iPhone with.

You can also go buy a watch too. But a watch isn't going to cut it for # 1 (Gaia), # 2 (Inreach and portable battery for the phone), and # 4 (Inreach). The phone can do a lot of # 3 with the proper apps.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches ... 6325221B1/

I always thought this breitling emergency watch was awesome. Of course, it costs around $20k. Built in beacon when shtf.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

For context, I've done about 14,000 miles of mostly solo backpacking over the past 15 or so years. I've tried multiple watches and for backpacking now I'm biased towards a very cheap Casio or the like that has just basic functions --- time of course, an alarm that will wake me fairly early when it's expected to be hot, ... just the basics, but it's light, cheap, and the battery lasts a very long time. For anything else I pull out my smartphone.

I have used a Fitbit and a similar Garmin. For around home use up until just a few days ago I was using a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2, but when it got to the point where I had to charge it twice a day I bought myself an Amazfit Bip 3 --- the latter has less features, but still counts steps, which is kind of fun, it's cheap and has a long battery life --- on the order of 2 weeks if not using too much functionality. I think the one thing I'll miss is the ability to make voice recordings on the watch; now I'll have to pull out my phone to do that.

It's really such an individual decision. In limited situations I've enjoyed having an altimeter on my watch, but always seem to pay too heavily in one way or another for that, plus it seemed I was always having to recalibrate to have any confidence in what the altimeter was telling me. For navigation, if I need to look at electronics I just keep my phone in a case on a pack strap so that it's fast and easy to pull it out and see things on a more usable screen.

There's no right answer, but if by "solo backpacking" you're talking about multi-week or multi-month trips, I would encourage you to look for something that has good battery life so that you only have to recharge (if at all) in town once a week or so. Well, and don't forget to consider how viewable the watch is in bright sunlight.