Travel in Central France: Modes of Transportation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Travel in Central France: Modes of Transportation?

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

At the conclusion of our Camino hike in Central France we need to arrange transportation from Aumont-Aubrac to Clermont-Ferrand. We have been guided to the https://www.rome2rio.com/ website. The site includes rail/train, bus, and rideshare (BlaBlaCar) options.

Does anyone have experience with these options in rural France? My primary concern is reliability.
ekid

Re: Travel in Central France: Modes of Transportation?

Post by ekid »

Public transport is a whole order of magnitude better there than here. Any of the mentioned means will be good.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ekid wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:38 pm Public transport is a whole order of magnitude better there than here. Any of the mentioned means will be good.
I used the trains a lot when I lived there but, every once in a while they do go on strike; the strikes rarely last more than a day. However, they can be unannounced. On a trip home from Germany to Brussels on a business trip the train stopped at a small town outside Brussels and all the employees walked off. I had to figure out how to get home on my own at 10PM. Fortunately I was close enough to the last stop on a tram into Brussels so I cobbled together a taxi ride to the tram stop and then spent an hour on trams to get home.

So you just have to be aware that there can be a temporary disruption in your plans.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I have looked at rome2rio a few times and I think of it more as some hints for places to look rather than a reliable, vetted guide. I might look more towards info from places you are staying, or other travelers to confirm. Note that a lot of rural bus routes in France will just have one or two busses in the morning, and the same in the evening, as they are oriented towards work commuters.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I find Rome2Rio to be very useful.
What it does tell you is that there is a rail line between your cities.
Now, you need to go to the SNCF website to see what trains are actually available.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
clemrick

Post by clemrick »

Here is the Aumont-Aubrac forum on TripAdvisor. It is a great source of info:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g ... tanie.html