Online Eyeglasses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Online Eyeglasses

Post by LifeIsGood »

It's been quite a while since I have purchased prescription glasses. I've mainly used Zenni in the past but wondered if there's any new online suppliers that are worth considering.
Harry Livermore

Re: Online Eyeglasses

Post by Harry Livermore »

I've had pretty good luck with Warby Parker.
My biggest beef with glasses is that, at some point in the last 30 years, something has changed about the composition of high-index lenses and they scratch far too easily. Before I tell the rest of my story, let me say that I work in a business where cleaning professional optics that cost $85,000 or more is routine for me.
I only clean my glasses once a day, in the morning, under warm, almost-hot water, just using the microfiber cloth they supply to mostly pat dry. There are times where I have to gently wipe away grease. I rinse the microfiber cloth and let it air dry a couple times a month or so. I don't use soap, or launder the microfiber. The glasses are fine for a while, but eventually (4-6 months) even after only using the microfiber cloth, fine scratches start to appear. It gets worse over time and with more wiping until it starts to drive me a bit bonkers, at which point I email them and request a new pair.
For comparison:
I have a funny old pair of distance glasses from 20 years ago that I keep bedside to watch TV with (my progressives interfere with line-of-sight when I'm laying down and watching) Not a scratch. Same PC type lenses. Probably wiped with a shirt.
I have wraparound prescription sunglasses that I like to use at the beach, also from 20+ years ago. They have certainly only ever been wiped down with t-shirts. Same PC construction, high-index. Not a scratch.
I tried some major walk-in chains, and despite paying twice as much for glasses, the same fine scratching issue happens.
It's widely known that the firm Luxottica owns most, if not all, of the major players in this business, including the suppliers of these lenses. I'm not sure what changed over the last 20-odd years, be it a chemical change in the coatings to be more environmentally friendly, a cheaper process, or a Chinese supplier.
I can only assume people far and wide are content buying 2-3 pairs of glasses per year at $150-$300 a pop, and I'm just a cranky old miser who wants to get 2-3 years out of a pair.
Warby Parker plays along and sends a new pair when I email and complain about scratches, but only up to a point. By the 3rd replacement pair, they will usually say that the "scratch guarantee" has expired. Then I pay for the next pair. Rinse and repeat. It's an annoying game and I would happily pay twice as much for a pair of glasses that would remain scratch-free.
Cheers
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:12 am I've had pretty good luck with Warby Parker.
My biggest beef with glasses is that, at some point in the last 30 years, something has changed about the composition of high-index lenses and they scratch far too easily. Before I tell the rest of my story, let me say that I work in a business where cleaning professional optics that cost $85,000 or more is routine for me.
I only clean my glasses once a day, in the morning, under warm, almost-hot water, just using the microfiber cloth they supply to mostly pat dry. There are times where I have to gently wipe away grease. I rinse the microfiber cloth and let it air dry a couple times a month or so. I don't use soap, or launder the microfiber. The glasses are fine for a while, but eventually (4-6 months) even after only using the microfiber cloth, fine scratches start to appear. It gets worse over time and with more wiping until it starts to drive me a bit bonkers, at which point I email them and request a new pair.
Your microfiber is slowly accumulating hardness from your water. The rinse will not remove this, it just adds more. Hardness is largely calcium carbonate, aka limestone. You are polishing your lenses with very fine limestone crystals.

I easily get a year or two on my Zennis without a scratch. I wash them in warm water, with soap to remove greasy stuff, then dry them with clean soft cotton cloth. An old t-shirt is fine. The laundry is apparently adequate for removing the limestone or else one's clothes would become very stiff over time.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Svensk Anga wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am
Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:12 am I've had pretty good luck with Warby Parker.
Your microfiber is slowly accumulating hardness from your water. The rinse will not remove this, it just adds more. Hardness is largely calcium carbonate, aka limestone. You are polishing your lenses with very fine limestone crystals.

I easily get a year or two on my Zennis without a scratch. I wash them in warm water, with soap to remove greasy stuff, then dry them with clean soft cotton cloth. An old t-shirt is fine. The laundry is apparently adequate for removing the limestone or else one's clothes would become very stiff over time.
I try to learn something every day. Today I did so before 10AM. Thank you. :beer
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
beezlebub

Post by beezlebub »

I recommend Befitting.com and Glasses.com. Both sites are able to directly pull in your eye insurance info and then adjust prices in real time. I like Zenni, too, but I can get a pair of prescription Ray Bans Befitting or Glasses.com with insurance applied for the same price , or cheaper, than I do with Zenni's generic frames.
Harry Livermore

Ah, but I'm using distilled water to rinse. But I suppose the residual tap water is adding small amounts to the cloth as I pat dry. I've avoided the laundry because I feared cross-contamination from other types of fibers.
However, this does not negate my theory that something has changed in regard to PC high-index lens construction. My two examples from 20+ years ago, no scratches, despite being treated rather roughly and wiped with a dirty T-shirt.
But I'll play along with the experiment. I'll try to get extra microfiber cloths from WP the next time I order glasses. If I cannot get their dedicated cloths, I'll order up some high quality ones (Zeiss or whomever) I will dutifully throw them away biweekly, instead of rinsing, and see if I can get even a year out of a pair of glasses.
I find this annoying both because, this was not a problem for the first 20+ years I have worn glasses, AND I have like 493 other things to attend to on a daily basis; "Oooooh. I better be careful with Luxottica's $1 lenses or I'll be sorry" is at the bottom of my list!
:sharebeer
Cheers
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am

Ah, but I'm using distilled water to rinse. But I suppose the residual tap water is adding small amounts to the cloth as I pat dry.
However, this does not negate my theory that something has changed in regard to PC high-index lens construction. My two examples from 20+ years ago, no scratches, despite being treated generally roughly and wiped with a T-shirt.
But I'll play along with the experiment. I'll try to get extra microfiber cloths from WP the next time I order glasses. If I cannot get their dedicated cloths, I'll order up some high quality ones (Zeiss or whomever) I will dutifully throw them away biweekly, instead of rinsing, and see if I can get even a year out of a pair of glasses.
I find this annoying both because, this was not a problem for the first 20+ years I have worn glasses, AND I have like 493 other things to attend to on a daily basis; "Oooooh. I better be careful with Luxottica's $1 lenses or I'll be sorry" is at the bottom of my list!
Cheers
I clean my high index Costco lenses with the tail of my t-shirt with no issues. The last time I had a scratch was when I dropped them on rough concrete. Maybe it’s your cheap Warby Parker lenses.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

We have a pile of microfiber cloths from various sources that we run through the wash in a lingerie bag, seems to give a good result.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I use a Zeiss wipe each morning. No scratches.

I've lost two frames though in the past five years though due to the hinge failing and the frame breaking when dropped on concrete.

At least for me, lightweight plastic frames are more fragile than the metal frames I had in decades past.
Harry Livermore

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:16 am
Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am

Ah, but I'm using distilled water to rinse. But I suppose the residual tap water is adding small amounts to the cloth as I pat dry.
However, this does not negate my theory that something has changed in regard to PC high-index lens construction. My two examples from 20+ years ago, no scratches, despite being treated generally roughly and wiped with a T-shirt.
Cheers
I clean my high index Costco lenses with the tail of my t-shirt with no issues. The last time I had a scratch was when I dropped them on rough concrete. Maybe it’s your cheap Warby Parker lenses.
Costco is a vendor I have not tried. We are members, so maybe I'll give them a whirl.
Yes, I 100% agree that it's the "cheap Warby Parker lenses". I'm just trying to figure out who does NOT make "cheap lenses"!
Cheers
dagsboro

Post by dagsboro »

The New York Times has a rating service called Wirecutter and it rated EyeBuyDirect and Zenni as the two best online services tested.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

beezlebub wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:54 am I recommend Befitting.com and Glasses.com. Both sites are able to directly pull in your eye insurance info and then adjust prices in real time. I like Zenni, too, but I can get a pair of prescription Ray Bans Befitting or Glasses.com with insurance applied for the same price , or cheaper, than I do with Zenni's generic frames.
Thanks for this. Just ordered some RayBans for cheaper than my local store.

I have been using zenni for the past several years with great results. I have a couple pairs of sunglasses from zenni I was hoping they could just send me new lenses for, but they don’t offer that unfortunately.
Last edited by Reamus294 on Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful

Post by Joyful »

dagsboro wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:10 am The New York Times has a rating service called Wirecutter and it rated EyeBuyDirect and Zenni as the two best online services tested.
I now only buy eye glasses online (including the 2 companies sited in the article).

When you go for your eye exam ask them for your PD (pupillary distance) in addition to obtaining a copy of your Rx.

I now have multiple pairs of glasses all over the place - couch, bedside table, car, desk, etc. and multiple pair of prescription sunglasses. I also have computer, blue light blocking glasses, and glasses that turn into sunglasses.

There is NO reason for eye glasses to cost hundreds of dollars!
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Joyful wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:48 am There is NO reason for eye glasses to cost hundreds of dollars!
Those of us who need progressives still are at about the $400 price point.

Speaking of progressives, are those who get those from Warby Parker and Zenni happy with them?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dagsboro wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:10 am The New York Times has a rating service called Wirecutter and it rated EyeBuyDirect and Zenni as the two best online services tested.
I have bought three pair of distance Rx glasses -- two sunglasses and one clear from EBD. Average price for me is in the $60-75 range. Quite satisfied; I can't tell the difference from one I paid hundreds for at local place. I got frame measurements off an existing pair and used an iOS app called GlassesOn to measure PD.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Harry Livermore

stan1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am
Joyful wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:48 am There is NO reason for eye glasses to cost hundreds of dollars!

Speaking of progressives, are those who get those from Warby Parker and Zenni happy with them?
I've been very pleased with the fitting height and transition of the progressive part with Warby Parker (and yes, the combination of high-index and progressive definitely gets the price point up; if they only cost $70 each, I'd buy like 4 pairs and rotate for a year or two!)
Full disclosure- I have been wearing these dorky large black frames for a few years, and I think the larger area gives a better and smoother transition across the reading portion.
If I give Costco a try (as suggested by quantandhold) I'll report back here as well!
Cheers
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

I have experience with progressives from both EyeBuyDirect and Zenni -- they have been fine. They come to about $120 per pair normally now (have gotten them for less with their sales and promotions). Frames are cheap - lenses not soo much. And both companies are now playing games with their upselling to $$$ super-duper lenses, but I just try to get the thinnest (lightest) that make sense without all the bells and whistles.

I spent a long time conferring with an optometrist once who pointed out that companies selling you eyeglasses are required to "make it right" if something seems amiss. I did ask for replacements with EyeBuyDirect not long ago, arguing they were not correct as the ones they sent seemed too thick after paying extra for lighter/thinner ... and they did eventually send replacements (that were indeed thinner). I would probably recommend Zenni based on that experience.

I have been wearing the same rimless progressives bought from Zenni for about 8 years. Another half dozen mostly newer ones floating around the house, but these have just come to feel right.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:31 pm I've been very pleased with the fitting height and transition of the progressive part with Warby Parker.
Full disclosure- I have been wearing these dorky large black frames for a few years, and I think the larger area gives a better and smoother transition across the reading portion.
If I give Costco a try (as suggested by quantandhold) I'll report back here as well!
Cheers
I have had two pair of progressive lenses, first were considered "rectangular" and second were "square". The "square" ones (with more height, width, and thus area to the lens) definitely seemed to work better so I'd agree with you on that.

I have a Warby Parker store 1 mile from my house. I had a pair of glasses from them years ago before I had the progressives that I was reasonably happy with. I still have my old glasses (held together with super glue) and I'll take them with me to try to find a good size.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I like EyeBuyDirect, because they have a one year warranty, and the prices are excellent.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Is there any factual research on the actual benefits of blue blocking lenses (this is a consumer question not a medical question)?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

For my primary glasses I buy in person so they can mark the focal point on the lens and manufacture the glasses accordingly (otherwise, they assume a center focal point based upon PD alone - the focal point might be too high or too low or shifted slightly left or right depending upon how the glasses fit). I have bought backup pairs and sunglasses from Glassesusa.com - will try some of the other outfits mentioned.
Wading Ashore

Post by Wading Ashore »

stan1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am Speaking of progressives, are those who get those from Warby Parker and Zenni happy with them?
Very happy with my Warby Parker progressives.
They didn't do the exam, though. My optometrist did that. It actually had to be re-done, and WP was very cooperative about re-doing the glasses. The WP optician made suggestions as to how the Rx should be changed. He was very patient and attentive.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
Wading Ashore

Post by Wading Ashore »

stan1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:48 pm Is there any factual research on the actual benefits of blue blocking lenses (this is a consumer question not a medical question)?
They may block this post for medical advice, but until they do, I'll tell you that my optometrist advised me that they weren't necessary as I have adjustments on the phone and desktop.
Jack shall have Jill, nought shall go ill; the man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.
ekid

Post by ekid »

For comparison:
I have a funny old pair of distance glasses from 20 years ago that I keep bedside to watch TV with (my progressives interfere with line-of-sight when I'm laying down and watching) Not a scratch. Same PC type lenses. Probably wiped with a shirt.
I have wraparound prescription sunglasses that I like to use at the beach, also from 20+ years ago. They have certainly only ever been wiped down with t-shirts. Same PC construction, high-index. Not a scratch.
I tried some major walk-in chains, and despite paying twice as much for glasses, the same fine scratching issue happens.
It's widely known that the firm Luxottica owns most, if not all, of the major players in this business, including the suppliers of these lenses. I'm not sure what changed over the last 20-odd years, be it a chemical change in the coatings to be more environmentally friendly, a cheaper process, or a Chinese supplier.
I can only assume people far and wide are content buying 2-3 pairs of glasses per year at $150-$300 a pop, and I'm just a cranky old miser who wants to get 2-3 years out of a pair.
Warby Parker plays along and sends a new pair when I email and complain about scratches, but only up to a point. By the 3rd replacement pair, they will usually say that the "scratch guarantee" has expired. Then I pay for the next pair. Rinse and repeat. It's an annoying game and I would happily pay twice as much for a pair of glasses that would remain scratch-free.
Cheers
I want to suggest actual GLASS glasses. Better optics, better durability.
Double post. Mods plz delete
Last edited by ekid on Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekid

Post by ekid »

ekid wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:50 pm
For comparison:
Cheers
I want to suggest actual GLASS glasses. Better optics, better durability. Probably have to fight with the optometrist.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

For a long time, I held out for glass lenses. I thought scratch resistance would be better. My prescription is now so heavy in glass that high index plastic is the only reasonable choice.

My last Zenni progressives, 1 year ago, with 1.61 index lenses, were $106. They work fine.
windaar

Post by windaar »

I bought a pair from eyebuydirect.com. That promised returns with "no questions asked." I didn't like the pair they sent and returned. But then "no questions asked" was dissolved. They wanted to know this and this and wouldn't stop e-mailing me about why I had returned the glasses. I'd skip eyebuydirect.com.
Nobody knows nothing.
CharlatanPrime

Post by CharlatanPrime »

Outside of eyebuydirect (mentioned just above) how easily do the online places handle returns? I'm thinking of using one of these places but I'm concerned that if there are problems I'll be stuck with a pair of glasses I don't like or that have issues. Anyone have experience with returns for these places?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:17 am It's been quite a while since I have purchased prescription glasses. I've mainly used Zenni in the past but wondered if there's any new online suppliers that are worth considering.
We still buy at Zenni, we usually wait for a coupon code or a credit card offer (Chase offers).
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Svensk Anga wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:58 pm
For a long time, I held out for glass lenses. I thought scratch resistance would be better. My prescription is now so heavy in glass that high index plastic is the only reasonable choice.

My last Zenni progressives, 1 year ago, with 1.61 index lenses, were $106. They work fine.
Do you (or anyone) know a guideline for what index is needed for what level of correction? In other words, if the correction is greater than -3.0 should probably go with a 1.61 or whatever?
Rotarman

Post by Rotarman »

tm3 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:07 am

Do you (or anyone) know a guideline for what index is needed for what level of correction? In other words, if the correction is greater than -3.0 should probably go with a 1.61 or whatever?
I don't know of any guideline. The only issues for reasonably normal prescriptions ( <6- 8 diopters) is weight and cosmetics of either shrinking or magnifying your face when people look at you. If you've never had a problem with either of these you likely don't need to upgrade to a higher retractive index.
TrustButVerifying

Post by TrustButVerifying »

I recently had cataract surgery and it necessitated the replacing all of my glasses (cycling glasses, regular use glasses and sunglasses) all with progressive lens. I have looked at all of the purchase options and this was my experience.

Due to timing issues, I opted to use my optometrist to replace the lens of my regular glasses. I used SportRx.com to replace the lens for my cycling glasses. Costco had a promotion for $50 off of a second pair of glasses so I purchased a pair of Sunglasses with Transition Lens and a pair of regular glasses, both frames were well known brands. The cost of 2 pairs of glasses at Costco was LESS than the cost of either set of replacement lens.

I have used EyeBuyDirect in the past and have had very good experiences with them including getting a replacement set after one broke. But this time, I found that the cost of a pair of glasses with their generic frames was more expensive than Costco.

My recommendation is if possible, buy your glasses at Costco. They have a huge selection to choose from and you get a chance to try them on.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

windaar wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:02 pm I bought a pair from eyebuydirect.com. That promised returns with "no questions asked." I didn't like the pair they sent and returned. But then "no questions asked" was dissolved. They wanted to know this and this and wouldn't stop e-mailing me about why I had returned the glasses. I'd skip eyebuydirect.com.
This has not been my experience at all. I always just give them a reason tho, for QA purposes so that they know what the problem was. Never had any questioning of my reason. They always pay for shipping
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

I'm happy with mine from Zenni.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
bog007

Post by bog007 »

if you have anti reflection lenses they wear out quicker. this is usually included in high index lenses
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:17 am It's been quite a while since I have purchased prescription glasses. I've mainly used Zenni in the past but wondered if there's any new online suppliers that are worth considering.
EBD is great. I bought one recently. They were also the cheapest price. Insurance covered nearly all of it.

I bought the Oakley Plank 2.0 with Blue Light and 1.6.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Turbo29 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:19 pm
stan1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am Those of us who need progressives still are at about the $400 price point.

I'm happy with mine from Zenni.
My eyes change often from astigmatism, so it's not unusual for me to need new lenses every 10 to 14 months. I used to buy glasses at LensCrafters, but even with insurance I was paying ~$450 for new lenses in existing frames, $600+ with new frames. I chose a new larger frame to be sure there was adequate room for the progressive reading portion, and even then I found it difficult to read close up and at the computer with the expensive progressives. Had them remade once thinking the segment height was off. This was after years of progressives with no problems.

So I ordered two sets of single vision glasses from Zenni: readers and computer. I love them. After my last eye exam, I replaced the readers and computer glasses, and also ordered a set of progressives as well from Zenni. I used the same frame model for all three. I couldn't be happier with all three pairs. And the cost of them combined was LESS than new LensCrafters lenses. Distance and close reading are fine with the progressives, although they are a little hard to use at the computer. But that's not a problem with the single vision glasses. As long as you don't mind switching them out.

When I last checked Warby Parker, they were significantly more expensive than Zenni.

Edited to add: The progressive pair was $91, reading $58, and computer $41.
Last edited by mrc on Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

stan1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:54 am Those of us who need progressives still are at about the $400 price point.

I got my first pair of progressives from Zenni a few years ago and am still very pleased with them.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For those who have bought online.

If the glasses need minor adjustments such as bending the frames around the ears do you do that yourself using a warm water bath?

Every pair of glasses I've bought in my entire life has needed adjustments before I left the optician with them.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

stan1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:10 pm For those who have bought online.

If the glasses need minor adjustments such as bending the frames around the ears do you do that yourself using a warm water bath?

Every pair of glasses I've bought in my entire life has needed adjustments before I left the optician with them.
Yes I learned to do it myself.
mrc

Post by mrc »

stan1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:10 pm For those who have bought online.

Yes, it's quite easy to do. Many YouTube vids on the subject. I once tried to break an old frame, and it's not easy to do. If something did go wrong, I'd rather it be on a $25 Zenni frame than a $180 LensCrafters frame.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Joyful

Post by Joyful »

All of my glasses that I’ve purchased from the online providers (Zenni, eyebuydirect, etc.) have been progressives. I’ve had no problems and saved thousands of dollars with a larger selection of frames. There is no reason to pay hundreds of dollars for eyeglasses these days IMO.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It seems Zenni and Eyebuydirect get a lot of mentions. I tend to be pretty hard on glasses and find that I can destroy a good quality pair just as fast as a cheap pair. I just has cataract surgery so I mainly need to correct my near vision. OTC readers work fine but looking up and into the distance makes my head spin. I also hate the 1/2 glasses that sit near the end of your nose and you peer over for distance.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:26 am Thanks everyone for your feedback. It seems Zenni and Eyebuydirect get a lot of mentions. I tend to be pretty hard on glasses and find that I can destroy a good quality pair just as fast as a cheap pair. I just has cataract surgery so I mainly need to correct my near vision. OTC readers work fine but looking up and into the distance makes my head spin. I also hate the 1/2 glasses that sit near the end of your nose and you peer over for distance.
For this I use an OTC bifocal reader (I think Foster Grant); top half is uncorrected. I also have a trifocal variant I use when I am doing taxes so I can focus on screen, paper and distance (uncorrected). I think I get them for ~ $25 on Amazon.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Rotarman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:15 pm
tm3 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:07 am

I don't know of any guideline. The only issues for reasonably normal prescriptions ( <6- 8 diopters) is weight and cosmetics of either shrinking or magnifying your face when people look at you. If you've never had a problem with either of these you likely don't need to upgrade to a higher retractive index.
Thank you! I prowled around some and found a guideline on the Zenni site.

Lots to like about Zenni. I just wish they had a MBG.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Zenni could not make my glasses in the progressive and transitions lenses that I wanted, due to the strong prescription.

Payne Glasses did...
https://www.payneglasses.com/
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

do any of the online sites offer multiple grades of shading on sunglasses? I seem to recall EBD does not.

I would like to get a pair with a very light grey tint to minimize color distortion. I want to get very light tint for wearing on overcast days which can often be bright but not bright enough for regular sunglasses.

Grey is important because I want minimum color distortion since I often wear these while out looking for birds.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

So I tried a pair of Zenni progressives, but they aren't working out. Need custom vertical segment height whereas Zenni has a one size fits all progressive. When driving I have to point my head at the dashboard and look over the top of the glasses. I wish my optometrist had told me to get the segment height measured instead of "progressives are tricky, make sure you can return them".

Warby Parker in store supposedly offers custom segment height so I will go visit the one near me and I'm assuming Costco does too. I like the online sites because I can see the dimensions of the frames and focus in on the few that will best fit rather than going into a regular B&M optician where there are hundreds of frames without any organization. We don't currently have a Costco membership so not sure what the user experience of shopping for frames at Costco is. I have a narrow head, high nose, and need progressives which seems to put me into 1% of the available frames and it becomes hunt and peck to find those few frames that are the right size.

Looks like for me price formula is 4 * Zenni = 2 * Warby Parker = 1 * local optometrist.
I was hoping the Zenni's would work out and I would get different pair for home, exercise, and a spare if one breaks but not to be ...

It's disappointing because the $29 Zenni frame is the best fitting and most comfortable frame I've ever owned (although I can tell its life expectancy is unlikely to be 3 plus years at least for the specific frame model I chose - I'm gentle with my glasses for the most part but the Zenni frame feels "cheap" compared to my existing Warby Parker and optometrist glasses).
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

I've had a good experience with multiple purchases from LensesRx. They are the only business I could find that will replace lenses in your current frames. Their customer service was responsive to multiple questions that I had.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

CharlatanPrime wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:58 am Outside of eyebuydirect (mentioned just above) how easily do the online places handle returns? I'm thinking of using one of these places but I'm concerned that if there are problems I'll be stuck with a pair of glasses I don't like or that have issues. Anyone have experience with returns for these places?
Multiple things are given up with online glasses purchase, so it is risky -- careful measuring and fitting by an optometrist, the ability to try on frame after frame to assess the look and the comfort before buying, and after the sale adjustment and/or refitting. Of course we are compensated for this risk to the tune of hundreds of dollars in savings, but for me that isn't quite enough. I think there needs to be a robust money back guarantee else I end up with $200-300 worthless piece of plastic.

My wife bought from EyeBuyDirect, and while the glasses worked fine she didn't like the look of the frames. She returned them and got her money back, but the hassle of questioning and emails and on and on was enough that she said she would never use them again.

Zenni gets a lot of praise but has no MBG, so they would be a non-starter for me.

Warby Parker has a pre purchase try-on system for some of their frames, and a generous return policy, but WPs are so expensive that I would pay the difference to buy locally.

Hopefully there will be some more feedback in this thread that identifies vendors having good MBGs.