Computer ransom demands

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
clemrick

Computer ransom demands

Post by clemrick »

When looking at Facebook, my mother keeps clicking on links that often lead to "your computer is broke and you need to call this phone number" webpages, that also tie up her computer, so she calls me and I talk her through shutting off the computer and restarting. I have Malwarebytes on the machine, so I am not worried about these sites leaving anything on her computer, but is there some extension I can add to her Firefox to stop her from getting to these pages??

Thanks,
roamingzebra

Re: Computer ransom demands

Post by roamingzebra »

My guess is that UBlock Origin would block that kind of stuff. But since I don't use Facebook, I can't know for sure. But UBO is a universal blocker of "bad stuff" so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it installed.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-origin/

An alternate path is to find out what kind of content your mother likes, find some regular websites or forums (not Facebook) that cover those topics. Then use some simple HTML to set up a "start page" which has all her favorite sites listed as clickable links. I've done that for years and even have links to certain Twitter authors so I can read their posts without signing up for Twitter.
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

protonvpn
not financial advice
CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice »

+1 to Ublock Origin. It makes for more pleasant browsing most of the time.
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

I believe Brave browser blocks most of this as well
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

If she's clicking like there's no tomorrow, she's bound to get compromised. Consider an iPad with keyboard.
RealSunset

Post by RealSunset »

Not on Facebook either, so I don't know about this but I wonder if Facebook has some sort of "parental control". For your parent... :happy
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

With Edge I just go Ctrl/Alt/Delete , pick TaskManager and then Highlight Edge and click close - Might work for FireFox as well , try it - not a preventative solution but it works with the tools I already have - only once have I had to hit the on/off button .
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

ubermax wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:05 pm With Edge I just go Ctrl/Alt/Delete , pick TaskManager and then Highlight Edge and click close - Might work for FireFox as well , try it - not a preventative solution but it works with the tools I already have - only once have I had to hit the on/off button .
I recommend same when family/friends report a browser hijack. Ctl-Alt-Del to Task Manager, right the browser Chrome/Firefox/Edge the End Task. Then reboot.

After restart, I have them run MalwareBytes to clean up any PUP remnants still in their browser
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

RealSunset wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:57 pm Not on Facebook either, so I don't know about this but I wonder if Facebook has some sort of "parental control". For your parent... :happy
They do. Go to her and have her get into Facebook. Delete her account and tell her she's all set. I did that with my own account a decade ago.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

If she is constantly falling for stuff like that, seems like she is going to get hooked by a non-computer based scam sooner or later, too. Not fun. Probably a good time to looking into being notified about large bank transactions she may make.
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

clemrick wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 pm When looking at Facebook, my mother keeps clicking on links that often lead to "your computer is broke and you need to call this phone number" webpages, that also tie up her computer, so she calls me and I talk her through shutting off the computer and restarting. I have Malwarebytes on the machine, so I am not worried about these sites leaving anything on her computer, but is there some extension I can add to her Firefox to stop her from getting to these pages??

Thanks,
Have you considered buying a Chromebook for her. I feel it is lot more secure for Seniors who might not proficient in computers.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

life in slices wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:18 pm I believe Brave browser blocks most of this as well
Brave has pretty good blocking and I have been able to block Facebook and Twitter entirely.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:37 pm
RealSunset wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:57 pm Not on Facebook either, so I don't know about this but I wonder if Facebook has some sort of "parental control". For your parent... :happy
They do. Go to her and have her get into Facebook. Delete her account and tell her she's all set. I did that with my own account a decade ago.
For some elderly folks, Facebook is a way to keep up on friends and family. Deleting her account could be hurtful for her.

Perhaps she needs a device she only uses for social media, with unique passwords (not used for banking, etc.) And 2FA for all social media. And a gmail account only used for social media logins.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:05 pm
For some elderly folks, Facebook is a way to keep up on friends and family. Deleting her account could be hurtful for her.

Perhaps she needs a device she only uses for social media, with unique passwords (not used for banking, etc.) And 2FA for all social media. And a gmail account only used for social media logins.
maybe a burner tablet for FB only with a burner email address.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

LookinAround wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:33 pm
After restart, I have them run MalwareBytes to clean up any PUP remnants still in their browser
Or alternatively use the virus scan option for your browser , Edge has it and would assume the same with other browsers - I like Edge and have found that Malwarebytes can conflict with it and so I got rid of Malwarebytes .
Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Since she's already using Firefox, try changing the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" from "Standard" to "Strict". I find that this blocks most garbage, and has little to no impact on the functionality of web sites. If that isn't good enough, then the recommendation to install the "uBlock Origin" extension would be my next step.

If you have Malware Bytes, is it the premium version or free? The premium version provides real-time blocking that the free version doesn't. I recommend this to all family members who have a tendency to do things they shouldn't.
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:05 pm

+1
Second Round

Post by Second Round »

OP, based on what you describe, I hope your mother does not do any online banking, investments, taxes, etc., or if so, that you can take over those things on her behalf. If she can't give up FB, she should dedicate access to those other things to you or some other trustworthy party. I don't think it'll be enough to dedicate a device to social media. If she gets a phishing attempt, the fraudster may direct her to getting information off whatever other PC or device she has for financial stuff. She may just provide a credit card or bank account number over the phone. At the very least, get transaction limits set on her accounts and have alerts sent to you for online or over the phone transactions.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

With AI voice duplication, this will get MUCH worse. I've told my mom 80+ years young, don't give any info to ANYONE, INCLUDING YOUR CHILDREN over the phone. Get a phone number, and WE KIDS will call it back.
Topic Author
clemrick

Post by clemrick »

roamingzebra wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:51 pm My guess is that UBlock Origin would block that kind of stuff. But since I don't use Facebook, I can't know for sure. But UBO is a universal blocker of "bad stuff" so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it installed.
Thanks, I will add UBlock Origin.
Dragline wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm Since she's already using Firefox, try changing the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" from "Standard" to "Strict". I find that this blocks most garbage, and has little to no impact on the functionality of web sites. If that isn't good enough, then the recommendation to install the "uBlock Origin" extension would be my next step.

If you have Malware Bytes, is it the premium version or free? The premium version provides real-time blocking that the free version doesn't. I recommend this to all family members who have a tendency to do things they shouldn't.
I will up her tracking protection and I have installed the paid version of Malware Bytes. I will have to check how it is configured because I thought it would stop this kind of thing.

I am so glad to have Chrome Remote Access. Being able to get into her computer and see what she is talking about is way, way better than the beginning of the century when she had to describe over the phone what was going on.

Mom is pretty good, so far, for not falling for scams. She gets confused and calls me before she gets into trouble.
mark_in_denver

Post by mark_in_denver »

oldlongbeard wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:21 am With AI voice duplication, this will get MUCH worse. I've told my mom 80+ years young, don't give any info to ANYONE, INCLUDING YOUR CHILDREN over the phone. Get a phone number, and WE KIDS will call it back.
AI voice duplication, I haven't heard of that. Can you expand on that?
riverant

Post by riverant »

mark_in_denver wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:48 am
oldlongbeard wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:21 am With AI voice duplication, this will get MUCH worse. I've told my mom 80+ years young, don't give any info to ANYONE, INCLUDING YOUR CHILDREN over the phone. Get a phone number, and WE KIDS will call it back.
AI voice duplication, I haven't heard of that. Can you expand on that?
Imagine your voice is recorded over a period of time. AI can be trained on your voice to say anything the user wants, in your voice. Gone are the days of stitching together actual sounds to form new words. An older person could hear their son calling saying they’re trapped in Mexican prison or something and need 5K
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

Block malware and other bad content by changing your DNS provider at the router.

https://1.1.1.1/family/
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

clemrick wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:03 am
roamingzebra wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:51 pm My guess is that UBlock Origin would block that kind of stuff. But since I don't use Facebook, I can't know for sure. But UBO is a universal blocker of "bad stuff" so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it installed.
Thanks, I will add UBlock Origin.
Dragline wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm Since she's already using Firefox, try changing the "Enhanced Tracking Protection" from "Standard" to "Strict". I find that this blocks most garbage, and has little to no impact on the functionality of web sites. If that isn't good enough, then the recommendation to install the "uBlock Origin" extension would be my next step.

I will up her tracking protection and I have installed the paid version of Malware Bytes. I will have to check how it is configured because I thought it would stop this kind of thing.

I am so glad to have Chrome Remote Access. Being able to get into her computer and see what she is talking about is way, way better than the beginning of the century when she had to describe over the phone what was going on.

Mom is pretty good, so far, for not falling for scams. She gets confused and calls me before she gets into trouble.
I too would have expected Malwarebytes (paid) to prevent this. I'd appreciate anything learned about why it didn't work as hoped for.