what makes a satisfying charitable gift?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lebowski

what makes a satisfying charitable gift?

Post by Lebowski »

I was doing my taxes for 2022 and was looking at all the charitable gifts I made last year. Ironically this is probably the most money I've ever donated, but in many ways I don't feel quite as fulfilled (mentally/spiritually) as I thought I would/should. Some gifts I make weekly to the local hospital and church (done automatically from my checking account), others once a year to my alma mater and local non profits, like the library, historical society, park & recreation, and public school foundation.

When I think back to the most satisfying gift I made, it was to support the non-profit day care center my kids were at many years ago. Gifts were collected each November for a year-end party and bonus for the workers. My gift was a stretch financially at the time. I think what made it so satisfying is I knew where the money was going, really liked the teachers and had a personal connection as a board member and parent of children in the program too.

What was your most fulfilling charitable gift you made? What was it about the gift or giving process which made it so satisfying?
OldTimer

Re: what makes a satisfying charitable gift?

Post by OldTimer »

OP

Easy. I am on the Board of Directors of an organization that help parenting moms with life skills,GED, financial literacy, etc. I know the money is spent wisely. My wife also helps out there as a volunteer. We make 5 figure donations and are happy to do so.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Lebowski wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:25 pm I don't feel quite as fulfilled (mentally/spiritually) as I thought I would/should.
Same here. I've been looking for that warm rosy glow of fulfilment from charitable giving for some time. So far, nothing. I guess it's not something I should be looking for when I'm donating to charity. (If you get something back from charitable giving, is it charity?) Maybe I don't give enough? Maybe I'm not personally involved in the goals /missions of the charity I give to?
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I've consolidated my gift giving into only organizations that mentally/spiritedly satisfy me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

A) I had faced starvation. I do not think someone in our country should starve. So, I donate money to our local food bank.

B) This has nothing to do whether it is satisfying to me. It is just an obligation to me to contribute to the community whenever I am employed.

C) Since I am not starving, I should contribute to the local food bank and stop others from starving.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

We donate the most to organizations we're actively involved with as volunteers. My opinion about which organizations to support has evolved quite a bit over the years. I see some non-profits that get a great deal of support in the form of donations and endowments but just don't seem to be very effective at anything other than hiring a lot of staff and putting out glossy mailings.

If you follow what large philanthropies do, like the Gates Foundation, you can see what a complicated problem it is. Some things just seem to be a part of the human condition, IOW, you spend to try to alleviate hunger and poverty and you just get proportionally more of it. In some parts of the country and the world, philanthropists have bought and protected large areas of open space. Now they're being criticized for increasing the cost of housing.

I do think that education and health care, particularly for family planning, are key areas for improvement.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I think the most satisfying gift is an anonymous one, because it is difficult to view that as being self-serving, and the bonus is you don't get immediately nagged for more.

https://youtu.be/JqrJ4wGid4Y
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

The largest portion of my charitable giving goes to primate sanctuaries, with the bulk of that going to two in particular with which I've had a long relationship. Just last month I finally visited both for the first time since Covid broke out. I get a great deal of satisfaction seeing the life they are making for hundreds of apes who have been rescued from exploitation in research and entertainment. It's also a thrill to visit and see the reactions from my ape friends who recognize me even after three years away. I expect there will come a time when I can no longer travel across the country to visit, but the sanctuaries will still on my giving list and in my will.
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

Great question. I give mostly to animal charities, but the ones that makes my heart sing are the ones with an active social media presence who share videos and pictures of the animals that I am “helping to save.” Nothing makes me pull out the credit card faster than seeing first hand how I am helping make these specific cats lives better (and yes, I know them by name and personality :). It also works with the Orangutans in Borneo :).
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

CrazyCatLady wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:54 pm Great question. I give mostly to animal charities, but the ones that makes my heart sing are the ones with an active social media presence who share videos and pictures of the animals that I am “helping to save.” Nothing makes me pull out the credit card faster than seeing first hand how I am helping make these specific cats lives better (and yes, I know them by name and personality :). It also works with the Orangutans in Borneo :).
Check out the Center for Great Apes, the only orangutan sanctuary in North America. Bonus: plenty of videos to document the great work they do.
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

GerryL wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:07 pm
CrazyCatLady wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:54 pm Great question. I give mostly to animal charities, but the ones that makes my heart sing are the ones with an active social media presence who share videos and pictures of the animals that I am “helping to save.” Nothing makes me pull out the credit card faster than seeing first hand how I am helping make these specific cats lives better (and yes, I know them by name and personality :). It also works with the Orangutans in Borneo :).
Check out the Center for Great Apes, the only orangutan sanctuary in North America. Bonus: plenty of videos to document the great work they do.
Cool, thanks! I didn’t know we had any sanctuaries here, but I will check it out :).
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

Good question. The most satisfying charitable gifts I've given have been direct aid to people who crossed my path and needed help. Sometimes these gifts are anonymous and sometimes they are direct to the person. Of course, these are not tax-deductible gifts, but so be it. For example: I was able to anonymously buy a used car for a Syrian refugee mother; I paid the rent of an orphaned community college student for a couple years, and recently paid the lawyer's bill for a wonderful, hard-working legal immigrant I know well who is in the US on TPS (Temporary Protected Status) and has been trying for over 10 years to get a Green Card. (TPS is precarious: it must be renewed annually, can be cancelled by the government, and does not allow for re-entry to the US after exiting). With gifts such as these, I am able to assess the need and the recipient myself and know that 100% of the gift goes to the person in need. Nothing against the workers in large charitable organizations and their salaries, benefits, and office space, etc. But when the opportunity arrises to help someone directly, I welcome that.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Many years ago when I was a single working mom (receiving child support), there was another single working mom who wasn't receiving child support and really was struggling to support her two kids. I went to my credit union and got a $100 cashier's check made out to her, and put it into a Christmas card and left it on her desk when no one was around. Anonymously, as I was able to keep my name off of the check. She was shocked when she opened the card and saw the check.

I hoped it made Christmas for her and her kids just a little bit nicer.
Last edited by Gnirk on Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bampf

Post by bampf »

I contribute to charities that help people gain skills to change their situation. That matters a lot to me.
Nescio
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Our current year QCDs include support for organizations such literacy council for adults, housing support for the homeless, local food bank, home rehab for the low-income elderly, meals-on-wheels for the elderly, woman's domestic violence rehab, wild and domestic animal rescue, and local public radio and television. $45K targeted for this year for 14 organizations. Being later in life, we just recently decided to continue to make larger increases each year for people/animal organizations.
Tom D.
jpmitchell

Post by jpmitchell »

Employer match.

Being generous is great. Being generous with company money is even better.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I could never be satisfied giving charity to an organization. I only do charity on the individual level, with good people I can trust, and often remain in contact with.

You get to see the direct results of your actions with no obfuscation, no wondering if your money got swallowed up into any nefarious scheme.

Today, people need to get back to the level of the individual. They need to talk with people, not with systems and processes. That is what is missing.

It is easier to trust "the system", and that is why it grows bigger. But it is not duly diligent, it is lazy and an avoidance of personal responsibility, personal accountability.

Find someone you love and trust, who has a need that is genuine and broadly beneficial. Work toward helping them achieve that goal in a way that is fair and considerate to both of you.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
mark_in_denver

Post by mark_in_denver »

Volunteer your time to helping others...
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Lebowski wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:25 pm What was your most fulfilling charitable gift you made? What was it about the gift or giving process which made it so satisfying?
We donate a significant chunk of money to a handful of places every year that go to a lot of people and no doubt make a lot of good. But my favorite donation is one I do annually around the Christmas holiday. Generally we will eat out somewhere new that we have never eaten at before and if we come across a restaurant where it most likely the wait staff doesn't make good money and depends a lot on tips, I'll pay my bill and tip with a $100 bill. Last year, it was to the waitress who cleared mounds of dirty dishes from our mini-family reunion happening at a Pizza Ranch buffet place. I've done that a half dozen times since I started it and it never fails to warm me up seeing the thanks in the server's eyes. I know for a fact when I exit that door, that I've made that person's day, perhaps week, 100% of it was given to the intended target, and they will not forget it soon.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I feel a variety of things about charitable gifts but our priorities in gift giving are not based on generating specific personal feelings for ourselves.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

mark_in_denver wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:14 am Volunteer your time to helping others...
Although we make substantial financial donations, my time volunteering with TaxAide is perhaps the most satisfying.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I'm not in a position to make sizable gifts yet but will very likely be able to in a decade or two. I'll be seeking out small to medium sized local charities with a specific need that will multiply their ability to give services. Something that's been on their wish list like a new piece of equipment or facilities improvement in the low 5 figure range.

In the past we have donated to a relative who coached a team which was comprised of mostly low income students and they needed new equipment. He dedicates a lot of his free time and we knew the money would really help them and be spent wisely.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I think what makes a satisfying charitable gift is giving to something/someone that you are passionate about. One has to believe that it is the right thing to do so that the giving is cheerful giving. Seeing the results of the donation can make a difference, but I believe it should not be a requirement for satisfaction.

For me, the most satisfying is working directly with individuals to help improve their lives. This is frequently not tax deductible, but that is okay. These charitable gifts involve time and money.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I am a bit philosophical about my giving - I contribute to organizations that further the things I believe rather than organizations that pull at my heart strings. I often think of my young grandkids and wish to impact their lifetime surroundings.
Last edited by David Jay on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:34 pm OP,

A) I had faced starvation. I do not think someone in our country should starve. So, I donate money to our local food bank.

B) This has nothing to do whether it is satisfying to me. It is just an obligation to me to contribute to the community whenever I am employed.

C) Since I am not starving, I should contribute to the local food bank and stop others from starving.

KlangFool
I don’t look for a good feeling either. It is something that is right to do. Food bank serves a good purpose as Klamgfool said.
When working i made charity gifts from my paycheck. One of the charities supplied mosquito nets to prevent malaria.

I need to start more charitable money gifts again. Not much given since retirement in 2018. This is a good reminder.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Not just money. Also consider giving blood.

25% of the population will need blood at some point in their lives.

Blood is a perishable good. We're almost always at a shortage because only 3% or so of the age-eligible population donates blood in any given year.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

biscuits wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:47 pm Good question. The most satisfying charitable gifts I've given have been direct aid to people who crossed my path and needed help. Sometimes these gifts are anonymous and sometimes they are direct to the person. Of course, these are not tax-deductible gifts, but so be it. For example: I was able to anonymously buy a used car for a Syrian refugee mother; I paid the rent of an orphaned community college student for a couple years, and recently paid the lawyer's bill for a wonderful, hard-working legal immigrant I know well who is in the US on TPS (Temporary Protected Status) and has been trying for over 10 years to get a Green Card. (TPS is precarious: it must be renewed annually, can be cancelled by the government, and does not allow for re-entry to the US after exiting). With gifts such as these, I am able to assess the need and the recipient myself and know that 100% of the gift goes to the person in need. Nothing against the workers in large charitable organizations and their salaries, benefits, and office space, etc. But when the opportunity arrises to help someone directly, I welcome that.

This^. This makes me happiest too….directly helping those in my life/community/orbit.

I also like “sponsoring” a child through a teacher I know. Giving $ for things throughout the year that the child might need.
Last edited by PoppyA on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:16 am
Lebowski wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:25 pm What was your most fulfilling charitable gift you made? What was it about the gift or giving process which made it so satisfying?
We donate a significant chunk of money to a handful of places every year that go to a lot of people and no doubt make a lot of good. But my favorite donation is one I do annually around the Christmas holiday. Generally we will eat out somewhere new that we have never eaten at before and if we come across a restaurant where it most likely the wait staff doesn't make good money and depends a lot on tips, I'll pay my bill and tip with a $100 bill. Last year, it was to the waitress who cleared mounds of dirty dishes from our mini-family reunion happening at a Pizza Ranch buffet place. I've done that a half dozen times since I started it and it never fails to warm me up seeing the thanks in the server's eyes. I know for a fact when I exit that door, that I've made that person's day, perhaps week, 100% of it was given to the intended target, and they will not forget it soon.

This^ too. Very gratifying!
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Find folks who really need the help, our daughter knows a number of social workers who have many client needs.
Find small organizations who do great work.
If you have the time share in the efforts these folk's, put in to help other people & animals.
Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave »

When my stimulus checks arrived, I took a portion and made a check out to the local car repair business. It was to help other people with car repairs. I told him that I didn't want to know who benefitted nor for them to know who it came from. I helped a couple people and a small business at the same time.
Now that I am old enough to QCD, I give on a regular basis to the local food bank. I don't miss the money at all.
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

Lebowski wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:25 pm
When I think back to the most satisfying gift I made, it was to support the non-profit day care center my kids were at many years ago. Gifts were collected each November for a year-end party and bonus for the workers. My gift was a stretch financially at the time. I think what made it so satisfying is I knew where the money was going, really liked the teachers and had a personal connection as a board member and parent of children in the program too.
This, IMO.

Someone here on Bogleheads once answered the "how much should I save" question with "save until it hurts, then save a little more". Giving should be the same way.
If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall
Topic Author
Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:24 pm I think the most satisfying gift is an anonymous one bonus is you don't get immediately nagged for more.

Great point....I've also been thinking about what decreases satisfaction in gift giving...being nagged for more money (or solicited by other organizations in the same business area) is right up there.
Topic Author
Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

6bquick wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:50 am
This, IMO.

Someone here on Bogleheads once answered the "how much should I save" question with "save until it hurts, then save a little more". Giving should be the same way.
I did'nt think about the psychological impact from making one large gift versus a weekly gift before writing this question. Ironically i think that even if the total amount of the gift was the same, writing 1 check a year would be more impactful for me versus paying it out over 52 weekly installments. Not sure if that is just how I am wired or if others feel the same.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Lebowski wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:40 am
6bquick wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:50 am
This, IMO.

I did'nt think about the psychological impact from making one large gift versus a weekly gift before writing this question. Ironically i think that even if the total amount of the gift was the same, writing 1 check a year would be more impactful for me versus paying it out over 52 weekly installments. Not sure if that is just how I am wired or if others feel the same.
I try to frame some of it in terms of the dollars given vs. the need instead of absolute dollars. For example, a local non-profit that is struggling to make ends meet will get more out of, say a $1,000 grant than would some group like MSF from a $10,000 grant -- just to use round numbers as an example.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

The older I get the less satisfying I perceive charitable gifts. I give only for "virtue signaling" or to get some one up with the organization. I work incredibly hard to save my $$$. Why should I give it to people who are not even half as frugal as me?
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

knightrider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:50 am The older I get the less satisfying I perceive charitable gifts. I give only for "virtue signaling" or to get some one up with the organization. I work incredibly hard to save my $$$. Why should I give it to people who are not even half as frugal as me?
This is an interesting take. Likely unpopular too, or at least taboo, so thank you for sharing.
If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall
marti038

Post by marti038 »

Giving is such a personal thing, and it should be.

DW and I have only ever given to charities that we have a personal connection to and know a lot about. We've never given to more than 2 or 3 in a year, but generally give thousands to each. We find this quite fulfilling and meaningful.

We have close friends who are very similar to us socially, financially, spiritually, etc. They love to give small donations to dozens of charities each year, whether they know much about the people in the organization or not. As long as the cause suits them, they are happy to give to it.

I will add that we have never made donations through an automatic withdrawal. Not that there's anything wrong with it, we just "feel" it more when we write the check or set up the donation of appreciated shares.

You might also consider volunteering if possible. This is probably the fastest path to making your gifts feel more meaningful.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

KlangFool
Me too!

I was very poor and often hungry when I was young (I'm not sure I can say that I actually "faced starvation", though), and now I give to my local food bank so no one in my area should have to experience the desperate kind of hunger that I experienced.
Last edited by PhoebeCoco on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

knightrider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:50 am The older I get the less satisfying I perceive charitable gifts. I give only for "virtue signaling" or to get some one up with the organization. I work incredibly hard to save my $$$. Why should I give it to people who are not even half as frugal as me?
I give to a non-profit that gives counseling, food, and money to folks in need. In many of these situations, people are unemployed/underemployed due to circumstances beyond their control. E.g. a single mother with a disabled child, chronic health issue, a victim of abuse who is forced to leave their home, etc.

None of the folks I've spoken with have a spending/frugality problem. And most don't have a motivation problem. Mainly, they're in a lousy situation and don't have a close support network.
henry

Post by henry »

Being personally helped or potentially helped by an organization will establish a connection.

For instance, my neighbor had an medical emergency in the middle of the night a few years back and his family member called 911. Panicked, she ended up banging on my door for help as well. Luckily, I didn't have to do much as the EMS crew arrived promptly and took great care of my neighbor and calmed the panicked family member. Things worked out and I was very grateful. Anyway, the local rescue squad/EMS in my community is staffed by volunteers. I was impressed by their skill and professionalism and have been making a yearly donation to support them.

Our local firehouse is also staffed by volunteers. It's an adjunct firehouse to supplement the main firehouse which is several miles away. Never been personally affected by fire but I want to keep them around so I donate to them also.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I've been impressed by what probably amounts to millions of dollars of economic value created by thoughtful advice offered here on the boglehead forums (e.g., advice concerning a thoughtful Social Security claiming decision and similar).

For some of the readers, it has probably made a difference between a dignified and comfortable retirement and a marginal one.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

KlangFool

That is admirable and a great take on this question. I agree!
barber

Post by barber »

The older I get the more I look at my donations, but my greatest gift will be my body to the local medical college at my death.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

When I was six, I attended services in our Synagogue and remembered the sermon on charity — it has shaped a life of giving and volunteering.

Interesting to think that 700 years ago some of the brightest minds in the world were debating this topic…..

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_ ... harity.htm

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
tnr

Post by tnr »

Most emotionally satisfying for me is an annual donation to my undergraduate major department (math). They get few gifts as it’s not a popular major. I only ask them to use the gift to help their students in some way. I had two very wise mentors from the department and my donation is one way I can pay it back.

I also donate quarterly to a local food/clothing group. They became overwhelmed during the Pandemic and are still seeing high demand. Like others have mentioned, it is troubling to see so many people just trying to find a meal for today.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

For me, donations are 3-4 annual QCDs (with insistence on anonymity) to local worthy causes I am familiar with (my church, a single-mother educational-assistance program, food and financial assistance program for local in-need citizens).

I redirected donations from a large organization a few years ago when they could not stop automated bi-weekly solicitation letters. The local representative did what he could, but the national organization continued their letters. What a needless waste of contributions on postage and printing!

What does not satisfy me are the personal solicitations I receive in parking lots, etc. every two weeks or so. I usually give $5, but realize most of this goes for alcohol or drugs. I donate the $5 to be left alone.

Wife and I have tried to buy these people meals, etc. - they are not interested, but want the cash.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:29 am I'm not in a position to make sizable gifts ...
There's an old story about "the widow's mite (?)" which may be instructive
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

You can see previous threads on 'Effective Altruism'. I'm not necessarily sold on that idea in its entirety and it got something of a black eye recently because the FTX (fraud riddled asset-that-shall-not-be-mentioned exchange that collapsed) CEO espoused it in apparent bad faith. But I think there is something to the idea of considering not what gifts make *you* feel good but which ones actually do the most for people per $. Which when it comes to poor people is going to be outside the US (and developed world generally). Developed world (relative) poverty problem is rooted in complex and often intractable issues of behavior and history (family and other). It's often hard to show various ways of addressing it actually help. That's possible with poor country aid too but the basic situation is simpler. 'Starvation' isn't figurative there which it usually is when referred to in the US.

Also there's the IMO basic divide between 'alms', helping the unfortunate, and all the other things public funds don't do (or do enough of in your view, or shouldn't even do in your view) in many other spheres beyond the needy per se. Our biggest annual donation is to my undergrad college (small, special mission). I don't view that as direct competitor to poor countries overseas (faith based) relief org that's number 2. It's just different. On own perhaps shallow personal satisfaction though I like animal related stuff too. One local shelter provided our family with 3 of the most terrific dogs in dog history so they get something. :happy But it's a small % of our giving.
gotoparks

Post by gotoparks »

If you want feedback on your gift you might check out a charity like Children International. You sponsor kids from poor countries. You can write a letter every once in a while and the kids will send a note. You can track their progress over the years. There are other charities like this, but I sponsored a couple of kids through them, so I am familiar.