Comcast Xfinity DVR Off Due To Sports

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Comcast Xfinity DVR Off Due To Sports

Post by Leesbro63 »

For a longtime now, my the Sunday night shows that I record with my Comcast Xfinity DVR get goofed up due to sports that run overtime. Is there a way to get the DVR to add time or some other adjustment. I can watch the shows "ONDEMAND", generally, but then cannot fast forward thru the commercials or through the part that was recorded and watched before realizing that I don't have the whole thing.
pizzy

Re: Comcast Xfinity DVR Off Due To Sports

Post by pizzy »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:11 am For a longtime now, my the Sunday night shows that I record with my Comcast Xfinity DVR get goofed up due to sports that run overtime. Is there a way to get the DVR to add time or some other adjustment. I can watch the shows "ONDEMAND", generally, but then cannot fast forward thru the commercials or through the part that was recorded and watched before realizing that I don't have the whole thing.
When you set up the recording you can select to record time after it was supposed to end. You can also record the shows after it and delete what isn't needed.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Been a long time since I've used a DVR but that would get annoying. As the other person said, often the machines allow for extra recording. I used to resort to recording an extra show or two just to make sure I recorded what I wanted to watch. Haven't used a DVR in a few years since we stream everything.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

This may be helpful. https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... -a-program

90 minutes should cover it. Used to be college football games could go longer than that but they have shortened the overtime procedures. Tennis could also do it though I think now all the majors have done away with endless 5th sets.
scophreak

Post by scophreak »

I read the OP as the shows set to record AFTER the sporting event are the ones being impacted. As others have indicated, it's simple enough with the live event to add time beyond the 'scheduled' duration. That said, I believe that DVRs typically operate based on the program guide. Thus, I'm not aware of any way to proactively change recording times for shows scheduled to air AFTER the live sporting event.

Take NHL hockey as an example. During the regular season overtime is scheduled as a 5-minute 3-on-3 period with the first team to score deemed the winner. If no team scores during the overtime period, the game is decided via a shootout. In the playoffs, however, overtime is scheduled as a full 20-minute 5-on-5 period with the first team to score deemed the winner. If no team scores during the overtime period another 20-minute overtime period is played. Rinse and repeat until someone scores a goal. There is really no way to determine when any specific game might actually end and when 'regular' programming on the broadcast channel will resume.
delamer

Post by delamer »

We just also record the show following the one we want to see, to allow for any sports coverage running over.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
mega317

Post by mega317 »

scophreak wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:18 pm Thus, I'm not aware of any way to proactively change recording times for shows scheduled to air AFTER the live sporting event.
You can change the recording times for anything.
Take NHL hockey as an example.
Ah forgot about playoff hockey!
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I've noticed lately that if a program goes overtime, that Comcast will record the extension for that show. I think this is primarily for Sports. However Comcast will not extend the next show so you still have to record the next show and possibly the one after. Direct TV at one time allowed you to adjust the start and stop time but Comcast does not AFAIK.