[resolved] Chase IHG Rewards Premier Card 175,000 Points Signup Bonus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
YERER01

[resolved] Chase IHG Rewards Premier Card 175,000 Points Signup Bonus

Post by YERER01 »

I need to get one more cc and I am considering this card for its points.

How much are these points worth in $?

I try to avoid credit cards that give lots of points but are difficult to use.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-ih ... nup-bonus/

Card Details

Annual fee of $99 (not waived the first year)
Card earns at the following rates:
26x points per $1 spent on IHG properties (10x from the card + 15x from status and club membership)
5x points per dollar spent on travel, dining & gas
3x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
Free night certificate on card anniversary (worth 40,000 toward a stay)
Automatic Platinum elite status
Fourth Reward Night Free on any stay of 4 or more nights
20% discount when purchasing points
Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
Earn a $100 statement credit and 10,000 bonus points once you spend $20,000 in a calendar year.
When you spend $40,000 in a calendar year, you will qualify for Diamond Elite Status through December 31st of the following year.
Receive up to $50 United TravelBank Cash each calendar year after registering your IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card with your MileagePlus account.
This product is available to you if you do not have a current IHG® Rewards Credit Card (any IHG personal card) and have not received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months (on any IHG personal card). This restriction does not apply to Business Card Credit Card products.
Chase 5/24 rule applies to this card
Last edited by YERER01 on Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Re: Chase IHG Rewards Premier Card 175,000 Points Signup Bonus

Post by sailaway »

Do you like IHG hotels? We got the card because we prefer them. I think Doctor of Credit said the points were worth ~$750? But it depends on what you actually book.

I don't think we are going to take much advantage of the fourth reward night is free, as we don't often stay in one place long enough. We will next month, but that will just finish off the $3k initial spend for us, we don't yet have enough points for the long stay.

The free annual night pays for the card if you keep it.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Typically around $0.005 - $0.007 per point. If you can make use of Holiday Inn and other IHG hotels it can be a good value. I have this one and the older $49 annual fee card and keep both as the annual free night can easily cover the annual fee. The Platinum status can also be a benefit with room upgrades (not that there is anything fancy about any HI Express rooms). When I was traveling for work it was pretty easy to build up points with all of the challenges they offered, but that travel is gone and I have not kept up with promotions lately.

I don't put any spend on these cards unless I am at an IHG hotel, or the occasional Chase offer that pops up - recently they had a $5 back for $10 spend at any restaurant across most of my Cards so I pulled them out of the sock drawer to keep them active.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

You can frequently buy IHG points for $0.005/pt so I wouldn’t value them more than that.

This card IMO is worth holding for the free night and 4th night free benefit. IHG has good resorts so there is opportunity to get outsized value.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I see IHG hotels for less than 20,000 points a night occasionally, so they can be worth over a half cent. Maybe 1 cent in the most outrageous case.

I don't care anything about IHG, but they've become the company's first choice. I took the credit card some years ago. The one night per year is worth more than the fee.
This time is the same
bendix

Post by bendix »

Often times, when hotels or airlines dish out large point bonuses, there´s a devaluation of that point currency ahead of you. Having said that, 175.000 points are a lot of points and good for roughly 10 nights in a random road side Holiday Inn Express. So that´s not bad at all. If that´s what you´re looking for. IHG is really great for trips to Europe and especially Asia.
Topic Author
YERER01

Post by YERER01 »

I decided not to get this card, based on what I gathered here. Thank you, everyone, for the response!
Jamesliny

Re: [resolved] Chase IHG Rewards Premier Card 175,000 Points Signup Bonus

Post by Jamesliny »

I spent $20000. I received 10000 bonus points, but have yet to receive $100 statement credit. Should I be concerned? Any idea how long until you receive that?