Golf cart for piddling around in yard?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Golf cart for piddling around in yard?

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I've toyed with the idea of a golf cart to help with small chores around the house for several years, but I was always able to dismiss the idea as just another toy to fiddle with. However, things change. People age, helpers become less able-bodied or move away, etc. I just re-kindled the idea and am flabbergasted by the price of gas and electric golf carts, both new and used. I would really like to get an electric cart and can afford it. However, I don't want to throw money away on something that doesn't do what I want it to do. This would be for no street use. Just transporting me and/or DW around our 1.5 acres as we perform menial chores such as taking garbage to the street (100 yards), retrieving mail (same distance), saving steps for doing yard work a distance from the house, and occasionally pulling a lightweight trailer with small limbs or other debris or tools across the yard. I know it isn't the healthiest option, but it may soon come down to a cart or some chores going undone. Golf carts seem to be fairly popular in our neighborhood for such chores. I've kind of giggled about some people using them, but no longer ...

I do have some experience with golf carts--both gas and electric--from my golfing days but those are long since past. I have had a few issues really holding me back:

1) We have no garage--only a 1 car carport which currently houses a car, a riding mower, and some tools. Car would obviously be relegated to a half-space or less. Unless completely moved from the carport, access to the golf cart would be limited--perhaps a makeshift ramp to allow access from the open side with a 4-6" drop? Ugh.

2) There is no electric outlet in the carport for charging. Would occasional use of an extension cord from an outlet on the side of the house suffice?

3) We have no trailer (or even a hitch) for transporting the cart for service. Would this be an issue with an electric cart? I can change batteries and wheels. Other than that, are there many issues I could expect to pop up that would present such a challenge that I would need to transport the cart?

4) Any pitfalls to buying used--other than potential pending battery replacement? Either new or used, are golf cart dealers open to negotiations on price? I may well be the world's worst negotiator.

If you use a cart for such chores, have you found it to be a worthwhile expense?
andypanda

Re: Golf cart for piddling around in yard?

Post by andypanda »

The retired-electrician farmer next door has an electric cart he uses around the yard - 2 acres. He has near-useless knees when it comes to walking, but he can drag the super can, pick up limbs and various other things using his cart. He still rents land to farm and can still climb on a tractor and service them, etc. It's things like the 125' walk to the mail box that are a problem

My stepson got a free gas cart from work when they replaced it with a new one. He patched and reattached the muffler. They live in the country and he drives his boys around the neighborhood. The houses are on 5+ acre lots and they are near the end of 1.5 mile dead end street. It's just too loud for me. I suppose a new one would be quieter, but not as quiet as electric. The electric ones are so quiet I heard a wheel bearing start clicking on one last year and took it back before it tore anything up. The owner was amazed I noticed.

As far as charging, all I know is that the carts we rent at the beach are frequently charged on long extension cords when the outlet under the cottage is far in the rear. I'm always the one doing the nightly charging. Just this week I reserved carts for 4 weeks of summer vacations. It's a small island and carts are allowed on all the roads in the even smaller village.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

That seems reasonable to me. It's definitely a thing. We always bought our golf carts from "a guy" with a business that traded, repaired, and sold golf carts. Prices were fair and no negotiation was necessary. Our carts were all two strokes so no maintenance was really needed.

Facebook Marketplace seems to have several modern electric carts available for an average of $6k private party.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Yamaha Drive 2 gas…Fuel injected, independent rear suspension.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

The rental carts on the island don't last too many years due to the salt breeze, hotrodding tourists and frequent encounters with saltwater puddles. I've been told 3 to 4 years, but they are heavily used. They aren't allowed on the beach or in the national seashore, but they are parked outdoors from at least March to November. I don't know about the dead of winter.

A lot of the locals have electric carts and they last a long time parked under the cottage.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Something utilitarian such as this (just an idea not an endorsement) or more like what you'd see on a golf course (as a golfer, the grounds keepers probably have these)?

Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Club Car 48V
New or fully serviced with warranty and all new batteries
put a high quality hitch in back and get s small trailer as you need.
Change the smooth tires to grippy ones.
Have an electrician wire ip a dedicated full 20 amp plug for it to charge. It will be trouble free for many years.

We've had EZgo 36 v and more to maintain and do chores everyday for many years on large acreage. They are simple to fix yourself.

small and compact regular golf cart style. Don't pay extra for larger or dump bed or 4 seater.

gas is more complex noisy fumes etc. Fuel aging issues etc.
depends on what you want to fix
we have both
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Perhaps consider an ATV. You could use it for your work around your home, then use it for fun elsewhere.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Bikes4life

Post by Bikes4life »

+1 for UTV over golf cart
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

How fast do you need to go, do you need to haul passengers or just junk?
A lawn tractor / riding mower + trailer might have more utility for some stuff.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 pm I've toyed with the idea of a golf cart . . .

.. a riding mower, and some tools. ...

... have you found it to be a worthwhile expense?
Is a riding mower much different than a golf cart? I guess one is designed for golf clubs, one is designed for mowing. But either can help with chores. I don't have either. If I wanted to buy a new tool I'd probably look for one that had a back hoe. I've always wanted a back hoe. I'm pretty sure if I was clever I could find something. But they would likely not allow it on a golf course.
So, do you want a backyard tool, or just another toy, or a golf cart?
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Watty

Post by Watty »

For doing things like going out to get the mail a mobility scooter might be a better option and Medicare may pay for it. These would be like the scooters that some grocery stores have for people to ride around the store in.

I just looked and they make some that you can ride on lawns but I would be cautions about them tipping over on hills.

You already have a riding lawnmower that you could use for yardwork and they are designed for pulling small trailers.

You might need a ramp but you could potentially take a mobility scooter into the house for storage and charging if that makes sense in your situation, like if you have a mudroom right inside the door.

If you need to keep a scooter or golf cart in the carport then it would likely be best to have an electrician install an outlet carport and not try to use an extension cord. The price would be highly variable but having an outlet out there could be useful for other things too. If you are going to do that then you should also ask the electrician about wiring the carport for an electric car since you might get one of those in the future.
Last edited by Watty on Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

dknightd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:27 am...
Is a riding mower much different than a golf cart? ...
Yes, very... you're not going to have passengers on a riding mower, and you're not going to go as fast. But there are lots of useful attachments for other chores. If you live in snow there's attachments to help with that, if you need to maintain a lawn, garden, hall junk around in a trailer, potentially ride on rougher turf (although UTV has edge there), have a zero-turning radius to corner around a lawn, and other functions then a riding mower could have more utility.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
NauticalRounder

Post by NauticalRounder »

We live on our “forever” 4 acre property that requires maintenance (fallen tree limbs, gardens, lawns, etc.). When we acquired our ClubCar 150 Carryall five years ago I thought is was an extravagance. Not anymore. Now that mobility is an issue for DW and me, I regard the “golf cart” a great adaptation as we age. It functions as a great mobile “potting shed”, with a dump cart. The 48v electric motor is very powerful—I’ve pulled my lawn tractor out of “trouble” when mowing a little too aggressively, with the cart. The only maintenance is topping up the six batteries twice a year. When the batteries need replacement, I’ll call the dealer (who services the local golf clubs) and do the switch out. If you have a large property that you love and requires regular maintenance, I think that you would find this a good option. Good luck!
"Our life is frittered away with detail--Simplify, Simplify, Simplify": HDT
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

A golf cart for an 80x80 yard plot of land?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

NauticalRounder wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:38 am We live on our “forever” 4 acre property that requires maintenance (fallen tree limbs, gardens, lawns, etc.). When we acquired our ClubCar 150 Carryall five years ago I thought is was an extravagance. Not anymore. Now that mobility is an issue for DW and me, I regard the “golf cart” a great adaptation as we age. It functions as a great mobile “potting shed”, with a dump cart. The 48v electric motor is very powerful—I’ve pulled my lawn tractor out of “trouble” when mowing a little too aggressively, with the cart. The only maintenance is topping up the six batteries twice a year. When the batteries need replacement, I’ll call the dealer (who services the local golf clubs) and do the switch out. If you have a large property that you love and requires regular maintenance, I think that you would find this a good option. Good luck!
+1
We have/had: 36V EZ Go golff cart, gas golf cart, Yamaha Rhino UTV 700cc, Honda Pioneer 1000 UTV, Club Car 48V (regular golf cart with hitch and a lot of various trailers), etc, and the Club Car gets used every day all year round for things that have to be done. It is the most reliable and trouble free of anything and requires little upkeep.

j :D
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Depending on your climate, storing an electric cart outside in extreme hot or cold weather may be an issue. Used carts are fine but be aware of the battery age. New 12V batteries can be $200 each these days.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:41 am A golf cart for an 80x80 yard plot of land?
I thought the same thing. If walking 100 yards to get the mail is such an inconvenience (ours is about the same from our home), my first instinct is that an electric scooter or bike would be a more logical (and fun) alternative.
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Bikes4life wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:18 am +1 for UTV over golf cart
Thanks for this. I was not aware that electric UTVs were available or that they would be competitively priced with golf carts. After a quick search, this is really more along the lines of what I would prefer.

If nothing else, this widens my option list and chances of finding something at a reasonable price.
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:56 am
quantAndHold wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:41 am A golf cart for an 80x80 yard plot of land?
I thought the same thing. If walking 100 yards to get the mail is such an inconvenience (ours is about the same from our home), my first instinct is that an electric scooter or bike would be a more logical (and fun) alternative.
Yeah, but more like 40 yds X 180 yds. In addition, neighbors on two sides have their fences set back (one by quite a lot) so that our yard looks bigger than what it is and we "encroach" a little bit on both to cut grass and clear limbs for appearances.

And we really need something with two seats so DW & I can both participate in some of the uses.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Honda Pioneer 1000 with dump bed.
Get the factory roof (not aftermarket) and the windshield and back window as well.
Street license plates. (it is fast!)

Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. I have gotten quite a bit of useful information from them.
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:55 am Club Car 48V
New or fully serviced with warranty and all new batteries
put a high quality hitch in back and get s small trailer as you need.
Change the smooth tires to grippy ones.
Have an electrician wire ip a dedicated full 20 amp plug for it to charge. It will be trouble free for many years.

We've had EZgo 36 v and more to maintain and do chores everyday for many years on large acreage. They are simple to fix yourself.

small and compact regular golf cart style. Don't pay extra for larger or dump bed or 4 seater.

gas is more complex noisy fumes etc. Fuel aging issues etc.
depends on what you want to fix
we have both
j
Thanks for the very helpful post. And for all the similarly helpful and detailed posts you have made on this forum. I honestly don't know where you find the time, but it is much appreciated!
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

dknightd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:06 am
Watty wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:32 am For doing things like going out to get the mail a mobility scooter might be a better option and Medicare may pay for it. These would be like the scooters that some grocery stores have for people to ride around the store in.

I just looked and they make some that you can ride on lawns but I would be cautions about them tipping over on hills.

You already have a riding lawnmower that you could use for yardwork and they are designed for pulling small trailers.

You might need a ramp but you could potentially take a mobility scooter into the house for storage and charging if that makes sense in your situation, like if you have a mudroom right inside the door.

If you need to keep a scooter or golf cart in the carport then it would likely be best to have an electrician install an outlet carport and not try to use an extension cord. The price would be highly variable but having an outlet out there could be useful for other things too. If you are going to do that then you should also ask the electrician about wiring the carport for an electric car since you might get one of those in the future.
[Off-topic comment removed by moderator Kendall.]
The mailbox of my neighbor across the road is about 100 feet from his front door and 80 feet or less from his carport. He uses a golf cart to go to the mailbox. He figured out what he needed to do.
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

NauticalRounder wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:38 am We live on our “forever” 4 acre property that requires maintenance (fallen tree limbs, gardens, lawns, etc.). When we acquired our ClubCar 150 Carryall five years ago I thought is was an extravagance. Not anymore. Now that mobility is an issue for DW and me, I regard the “golf cart” a great adaptation as we age. It functions as a great mobile “potting shed”, with a dump cart. The 48v electric motor is very powerful—I’ve pulled my lawn tractor out of “trouble” when mowing a little too aggressively, with the cart. The only maintenance is topping up the six batteries twice a year. When the batteries need replacement, I’ll call the dealer (who services the local golf clubs) and do the switch out. If you have a large property that you love and requires regular maintenance, I think that you would find this a good option. Good luck!
Thank you. That is just the kind of positive experience I wanted to hear. I think :?:
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:12 am
Watty wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:32 am For doing things like going out to get the mail a mobility scooter might be a better option and Medicare may pay for it. These would be like the scooters that some grocery stores have for people to ride around the store in.

The mailbox of my neighbor across the road is about 100 feet from his front door and 80 feet or less from his carport. He uses a golf cart to go to the mailbox. He figured out what he needed to do.
I get the desire for a vehicle to help with yard chores.

But the mailbox? Keep making that walk as long as you can. Use it or lose it. The less you do, the less you can do.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Happy Happy :)
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Inframan4712 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:28 am

I get the desire for a vehicle to help with yard chores.

But the mailbox? Keep making that walk as long as you can. Use it or lose it. The less you do, the less you can do.
I totally agree! That is why I have been postponing this impulse for several years. I am concerned that walk in 90+* heat and 90+% humidity this summer or next is going to put me at my limit. That chore and getting the garbage out the same distance has been shared by DW & me. She suddenly developed some health issues which is going to place more of that load on me. Those extra pending walks for me could be a good thing, but I'm really wanting to draw the line in inclement weather or oppressive heat. It's more trouble than it's worth to get in a vehicle for that distance so I'm looking for a compromise.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Not intending to hijack OP’s thread, but I think we might be looking for the same thing.

We still enjoy our 1/4 mile walk to the mailbox, as does our little dog, but there are times when moving heavy items is more time/energy consuming than I’d like. For example, lugging firewood from where it was split to the woodshed requires going up a pretty steep hill and if I’m being honest, I’m as likely to put it off until the landscaper comes by with his equipment rather than dumping split firewood into a wheelbarrow, trudging up the hill, and re-stacking it in the woodshed.

Are there affordable electric UTVs? I don’t know what affordable means, but I would feel awkward spending more than a 4 digit amount. I don’t have much use for gasoline on the property any more, but could deal with it if necessary.

How well do they handle uneven terrain? Muddy field?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:39 am I am concerned that walk in 90+* heat and 90+% humidity this summer or next is going to put me at my limit. That chore and getting the garbage out the same distance has been shared by DW & me. She suddenly developed some health issues which is going to place more of that load on me. Those extra pending walks for me could be a good thing, but I'm really wanting to draw the line in inclement weather or oppressive heat. It's more trouble than it's worth to get in a vehicle for that distance so I'm looking for a compromise.
90% of my mail goes in the recycle box. The rest they deposit on my front porch :)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I am mildly curious... 1.5 acres implies distances of around 250 yards... if a golf cart is going to work I assume that is 1.5 reasonably level, smooth acres. If walking, puttering, carrying things 250 yards is starting to be troublesome, what about the various maneuvers needed to exit the house, mount the golf cart, do the small number of added outdoor chores associated with taking care of the golf cart.... ???
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:59 am
Thanks for this. I was not aware that electric UTVs were available or that they would be competitively priced with golf carts. After a quick search, this is really more along the lines of what I would prefer.

If nothing else, this widens my option list and chances of finding something at a reasonable price.
My grandfather had a John Deere Gator. It was great.
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

dknightd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:56 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:39 am I am concerned that walk in 90+* heat and 90+% humidity this summer or next is going to put me at my limit. That chore and getting the garbage out the same distance has been shared by DW & me. She suddenly developed some health issues which is going to place more of that load on me. Those extra pending walks for me could be a good thing, but I'm really wanting to draw the line in inclement weather or oppressive heat. It's more trouble than it's worth to get in a vehicle for that distance so I'm looking for a compromise.
90% of my mail goes in the recycle box. The rest they deposit on my front porch :)
I rarely get mail myself. DW's mail is mostly junk, but also numerous financial statements for her as the trustee of a trust that includes a financial outfit that will not permit e-delivery. Most importantly, we get MIL's meds delivered to our house (very long story and not all that important here) and, believe it or not, some 95 year-olds are very set in their ways and quite resistant to suggested changes regardless of how reasonable they are :oops:

ETA: And our mail carrier only delivers to our porch when they can not cram a package into our mailbox.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:53 am
Not intending to hijack OP’s thread, but I think we might be looking for the same thing.

We still enjoy our 1/4 mile walk to the mailbox, as does our little dog, but there are times when moving heavy items is more time/energy consuming than I’d like. For example, lugging firewood from where it was split to the woodshed requires going up a pretty steep hill and if I’m being honest, I’m as likely to put it off until the landscaper comes by with his equipment rather than dumping split firewood into a wheelbarrow, trudging up the hill, and re-stacking it in the woodshed.

Are there affordable electric UTVs? I don’t know what affordable means, but I would feel awkward spending more than a 4 digit amount. I don’t have much use for gasoline on the property any more, but could deal with it if necessary.

How well do they handle uneven terrain? Muddy field?
Don't be bashful :wink: I'm quite interested in gathering as much info about some of these issues myself!

As to the suggestion of a Deere Gator in another post, my previous neighbor had one for years. That thing must have been a workhorse. I noticed last night in a cursory search that Deere now has an electric version, but it retails for about 15k. Intriguing--pricey but not as expensive as I would have thought.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:46 am
As to the suggestion of a Deere Gator in another post, my previous neighbor had one for years. That thing must have been a workhorse. I noticed last night in a cursory search that Deere now has an electric version, but it retails for about 15k. Intriguing--pricey but not as expensive as I would have thought.
I like to throw work to the various handy-persons, gardeners, snow plow drivers, etc. because they are salt of the earth hard workers. But, I also feel like I should do more myself because it will help fight off aging. However, I'd have a hard time looking at $15k in my garage and not thinking "should have given that money to _____."

I assume they probably haven't been around long enough to have a used market. I don't know why I have such a psychological line at 5 digits.
NauticalRounder

Post by NauticalRounder »

Those who do not see the general utility of a “golf cart” (or equivalent) with dump cart probably don’t have continuous property maintenance requirements. Properties needing moving items around (ie feed, gravel, soil, firewood, branches, etc) require more than a wheelbarrow and a strong back. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time. I’ll never be without one
"Our life is frittered away with detail--Simplify, Simplify, Simplify": HDT
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The other outdoor chores can be hired out, but if I wasn’t capable of getting the mail, I think I would also be considering moving to someplace more amenable to aging in place.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

NauticalRounder wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:01 pm Those who do not see the general utility of a “golf cart” (or equivalent) with dump cart probably don’t have continuous property maintenance requirements. Properties needing moving items around (ie feed, gravel, soil, firewood, branches, etc) require more than a wheelbarrow and a strong back. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time. I’ll never be without one
I'm going to discuss with my wife tonight. She should be primed for the conversation, as she has spent the day, so far, cleaning out last year's bird boxes, which entails a lot of moving them, emptying contents, bleaching, hosing, moving them back, etc. God bless her. She'd probably get a chuckle out of driving a UTC.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:06 pm
I'm going to discuss with my wife tonight. She should be primed for the conversation, as she has spent the day, so far, cleaning out last year's bird boxes, which entails a lot of moving them, emptying contents, bleaching, hosing, moving them back, etc. God bless her. She'd probably get a chuckle out of driving a UTC.
Timing is everything. I mentioned buying one of these to my wife as she started winding down from her chores that she's been at for around 4 hours.

Her response? "Cheaper than buying a second home."

:D :beer
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

LOL

I like it!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 pm I've toyed with the idea of a golf cart to help with small chores around the house for several years, but I was always able to dismiss the idea as just another toy to fiddle with. However, things change. People age, helpers become less able-bodied or move away, etc. I just re-kindled the idea and am flabbergasted by the price of gas and electric golf carts, both new and used. I would really like to get an electric cart and can afford it. However, I don't want to throw money away on something that doesn't do what I want it to do. This would be for no street use. Just transporting me and/or DW around our 1.5 acres as we perform menial chores such as taking garbage to the street (100 yards), retrieving mail (same distance), saving steps for doing yard work a distance from the house, and occasionally pulling a lightweight trailer with small limbs or other debris or tools across the yard. I know it isn't the healthiest option, but it may soon come down to a cart or some chores going undone. Golf carts seem to be fairly popular in our neighborhood for such chores. I've kind of giggled about some people using them, but no longer ...
I'm trying to picture this property and trying to figure out why you can't just drive your truck wherever you want to go on the property...?
Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:19 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 pm I've toyed with the idea of a golf cart to help with small chores around the house for several years, but I was always able to dismiss the idea as just another toy to fiddle with. However, things change. People age, helpers become less able-bodied or move away, etc. I just re-kindled the idea and am flabbergasted by the price of gas and electric golf carts, both new and used. I would really like to get an electric cart and can afford it. However, I don't want to throw money away on something that doesn't do what I want it to do. This would be for no street use. Just transporting me and/or DW around our 1.5 acres as we perform menial chores such as taking garbage to the street (100 yards), retrieving mail (same distance), saving steps for doing yard work a distance from the house, and occasionally pulling a lightweight trailer with small limbs or other debris or tools across the yard. I know it isn't the healthiest option, but it may soon come down to a cart or some chores going undone. Golf carts seem to be fairly popular in our neighborhood for such chores. I've kind of giggled about some people using them, but no longer ...
I'm trying to picture this property and trying to figure out why you can't just drive your truck wherever you want to go on the property...?
I have frequently quipped that I'm the only person in my county without a truck, so ...
Bikes4life

Post by Bikes4life »

Sorry, I just re-read your post. I originally thought you said 100 acres (saw the 100yds), which would justify a golf cart or UTV.

1.5 acres is not nearly enough room for a UTV by any means.
Definitely not a gas job. If your yard isnt big enough to justify a snowmobile, then it isn't big enough for a utv.
You wouldn't even use high gear in 100 acres on a UTV, would burn out the belts, let alone 1.5 acres.

We have electric golf carts, lifted golf carts with mud tires, polaris and john deere side by sides but we are on acreage.

Maybe a golf cart at best but hard to say without seeing your property. Its overkill but it's your money.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:48 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:19 pm
I have frequently quipped that I'm the only person in my county without a truck, so ...
In that case would a truck be a practical solution?
Bikes4life

Post by Bikes4life »

Get yourself a used chevy S10 or ford ranger and call it a day. They are basically a golf cart haha
ram

Post by ram »

I live in rural Wisconsin and very commonly see the Honda pioneer like vehicles on most farms when we go strawberry picking or apple picking. ( see pictures upthread) I see that the cost is 17K.
Ram
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Some years ago, the Code of VA (§ 46.2-916.1 through through §46.2-916.3) was changed to permit them on roads if some minor modifications were made (warning reflector triangle for example; lights only required if operated after dark) and if the locality approved golf carts on roads. Two of my neighbors have golf carts. They use the carts to visit neighbors and to check out the neighborhood. Thus, over time, there might be a bit more use. (Note the Code, § 46.2-915.1, specifically prohibits ATV's on roads except in Tazewell and Buchanan counties.)
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
enad

Post by enad »

Two people in the neighborhood have a Polaris Ranger. One has a mid-size and the other an electric. Both are street legal and have a small license plate seen on motorcycles in our state. They use them on their (large) property and even pick their kids up from school. If you have the room you can have a shed for your golf cart or electric/gas ATV if you go that route. We'll be looking at one or two of these (ATV) at our next house that is in the middle of no-where (totally off grid)
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Regardless of which mode of transportation you use, I hope you won't piddle in the yard. But simply putz around. (I couldn't resist, I got such a good chuckle out of the thread headline).
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

To OP:
This gives you an idea how to setup a 48 V Club Car for chores and things. Notice the tire change which makes a huge difference from the average "golf cart" tires. Also the hitch in the back. As a former lifetime golfer, it's a bit saddening to see the golf bag straps not holding golf bags. . . :(
j

Topic Author
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Thanks!
It seems necessity may indeed be the mother of invention. Or ingenuity.