Do you tip at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lillycat

Re: Do you tip at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts?

Post by lillycat »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:33 pm
lillycat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:38 pm A cup of coffee costs $6 at SB? No.
No it doesn't. A regular coffee is $2.65 at SB and $2.19 at Dunkin.
Yes, it does. I witness my DH order a giant cup at the SB drive thru all the time and it’s $6.
I have no idea what coffee costs at DD.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Always tip 18%+ for their excellent service.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

I don't. I will tip when I do a sit down at a regular restaurant. What is really getting out of hand is these "extra" charges or tip suggestions I am seeing at restaurants. Sometimes we order takeout from this nearby restaurant on the bill is a line for "Administrative Tip", I'm suppose to tip the person who picks up the phone? And a new one, a friend posted on his FB page was from a restaurant in Maui they ate at earlier this month; "Kitchen Service charge 5%", this was added onto the bill.
I would never eat or order from a restaurant that charges me to tip their cooking staff.
Last edited by ROIGuy on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:48 pm I'm going to start putting my Venmo QR code in my signature incase anyone wants to tip me for my postings here.
Hilarious comment!
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

jayjayc wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:31 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:48 pm I'm going to start putting my Venmo QR code in my signature incase anyone wants to tip me for my postings here.
Hilarious comment!
+1
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

No. We over tip in America.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Will do good wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:47 pm No. We over tip in America.
Only @ Lake Wobegon

But We Have Wall to Wall Floors in America
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

jebmke wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:08 pm
9-5 Suited wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:20 pm I always love when I meet up with someone from Europe and they just are in disbelief about how insane the pervasiveness of tipping culture is here. It’s like they walked into something that boggles their mind.
That's because the compensation system is different
Exactly, the servers are paid a decent wage and have healthcare. Neither are guaranteed with a service job in the US.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:02 pm
jebmke wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:08 pm
9-5 Suited wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:20 pm I always love when I meet up with someone from Europe and they just are in disbelief about how insane the pervasiveness of tipping culture is here. It’s like they walked into something that boggles their mind.
That's because the compensation system is different
Exactly, the servers are paid a decent wage and have healthcare. Neither are guaranteed with a service job in the US.
As this thread relates to Starbucks, they provide a decent wage and have a benefits package that most other counter service type establishments do not.

https://www.starbucks.com/careers/worki ... and-perks/
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lillycat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm
Yes, it does. I witness my DH order a giant cup at the SB drive thru all the time and it’s $6.
I was curious so I just checked and at my Starbucks a Venti/Large (20 oz.) Americano is $3.95. Veranda Blend is $3.25. Prices in our area can vary about $0.25 per drink from Starbucks to Starbucks depending on location (this surprised me when I noticed it).
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

You may want to double check. Here's the current prices as of March 2023 for regular coffee:

Freshly Brewed Coffee Short 5Cal $2.15
Freshly Brewed Coffee Tall 5Cal $2.25
Freshly Brewed Coffee Grande 5Cal $2.65
Freshly Brewed Coffee Venti 5Cal $2.95
aboose

Post by aboose »

A lot of people will get extravagant orders like with extra shots and all kinds of pumps of things which add more.

Also I will not lie I do not know why I tip my bartender but not my barista. I think it's because it's somehow acceptable for bartenders to let you sit there and ignore you if they don't like you so you have to bribe them to give you the time of day.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

student wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:17 pm
GreendaleCC wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:44 pm
nhs76 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:07 pm Sometimes I'll toss a tip into the counter jar, but I object to fast food places showing a 15% 18% 20% suggested tip in their credit card reader. Who knows if the kids (or, not just kids) who work there even get it. That feels like extra franchise owner or corporate profit. A regular restaurant's check the other day had suggested tips of 20% 22% 25%. I often tip 20% or a bit more for table service, but that day I went lower.
Not long ago, I saw a high schooler order a dozen donuts, run a credit card to pay, and then select the 20% tip option on the machine. It made me wonder if that’s now a standard practice for young people (?), since they’ve grown up universally seeing machines’ tip prompts as if it’s expected. Who knows…
I wonder whether he/she is using his/her own money or parents' money.
Definitely parents’ money, but it might be creating a habituated response to the tip prompt.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Then it's not coffee he is ordering, but some sort of latte, cappuccino, frappucino, or maybe a nitro cold brew that would be $10 at any sort of local cafe.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:34 pm
Then it's not coffee he is ordering, but some sort of latte, cappuccino, frappucino, or maybe a nitro cold brew that would be $10 at any sort of local cafe.
The margins on those are probably phenomenal. Many years ago I met with a group of investors doing roll-ups of Dunkin stores in Boston. They had ~ 25 stores. The margins on coffee were around 95%; they would give donuts away (free donut coupon) just to get people into the store to buy coffee.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

A good rule of thumb is that you don't need to tip someone who makes a normal wage relative to the type of work they do.

In my state, the base wage of a server in a restaurant is $2.13 an hour. No one anywhere will argue that that's a normal wage. That person you always tip.

The person behind the counter at McDonalds or Starbucks makes around $15 an hour or more. That person you don't have to tip.
aboose wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:27 pm Also I will not lie I do not know why I tip my bartender but not my barista.
The bartender makes $2.13 an hour before tips.
aboose

Post by aboose »

climber2020 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 pm
aboose wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:27 pm Also I will not lie I do not know why I tip my bartender but not my barista.
The bartender makes $2.13 an hour before tips.

Not going to lie, I get what you're saying but I don't think it makes sense to decide if I'm tipping or not based on if the employee in question is exploited by their employer or not.

Those bartenders would never vote to abolish a tip system because they probably make more extorting people for tips despite not performing a meaningfully different service than the barista.
exigent

Post by exigent »

No. I also order/pay via the app, so I pretty much walk in and walk out. No drive-through pickup for me, I'm not gonna sit in line with the car running to save ten steps.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

student wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:19 am No. I don't tip at these places. In general, I follow Emily Post on food services tipping. https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide
I've never tipped a bartender.

I've tipped the waiter/waitress who took my order and brought the drink to me.

Generally when I need to walk up to a counter to order, I don't tip.

During the pandemic, I was tipping very generously for any takeout because I knew every restaurant related business was relying on takeout and their employees were hurting. We ordered takeout more often as well to help the business.
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

I consider myself a very fortunate individual and am comfortable in retirement so I feel I owe my karma to generally tip those not as fortunate as I; quite dependent, however, upon their attitude and level of service. YMMV ....
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I don't tip at these places...generally if it's not waiter/waitress service- no tips
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:27 pm
eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:14 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 pm Dunkin's hasn't been the same since they retired the chocolate kruller so I rarely go. I just looked it up - that was 20 years ago :shock:
I typically tip at these places if they are freindly and quick with service.
Retired the chocolate kruller? I recently had one at a Dunkin in Everett, MA. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be, but they had them. It was only $1 as an add on bonus to a coffee order. I didn’t tip, though.
That was a chocolate stick you bought or a chocolate dipped donut with a Cruller design - not a real Chocalate cruller. They were discontinued because they had to be hand twisted. It's probably good you don't know what you are missing. It was the best thing they had.

http://archive.boston.com/ae/food/artic ... uel_twist/
I was never really a Dunkin guy and I’m still not. Their donuts are really bad compared to the Holy Donut in Portland, Maine or the donuts that I grew up on from Donut Dip in West Springfield, MA. We just had some really good donuts last week from Union Square Donuts’ Somerville, MA store.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I briefly got into a Starbucks phase recently and then got shamed into tipping at Starbucks so … I stopped going. Easy peasy! Prefer black coffee homemade anyway sipped out of porcelain rather than on bleached recycled paper with plastic lining.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:27 pm
eddot98 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:14 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 pm Dunkin's hasn't been the same since they retired the chocolate kruller so I rarely go. I just looked it up - that was 20 years ago :shock:
I typically tip at these places if they are freindly and quick with service.
Retired the chocolate kruller? I recently had one at a Dunkin in Everett, MA. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be, but they had them. It was only $1 as an add on bonus to a coffee order. I didn’t tip, though.
That was a chocolate stick you bought or a chocolate dipped donut with a Cruller design - not a real Chocalate cruller. They were discontinued because they had to be hand twisted. It's probably good you don't know what you are missing. It was the best thing they had.

http://archive.boston.com/ae/food/artic ... uel_twist/
I was never really a Dunkin guy and I’m still not. Their donuts are really bad compared to the Holy Donut in Portland, Maine or the donuts that I grew up on from Donut Dip in West Springfield, MA. We just had some really good donuts last week from Union Square Donuts’ Somerville, MA store.
But did you have the original chocolate cruller?
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

tennisplyr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:08 am Is tipping at these coffee shops common, my wife says she always leaves a tip.
I think it is much more common among younger people, who did not grow up only tipping for table service like we did when we were younger, and who know from experience (theirs and/or that of their friends) how hard it is these days to make ends meet on what they typically pay service workers.
I almost always tip these people.
I hate the tipping culture that expects it, but I can afford it, and I like helping out people who are working hard and struggling to get by. It is not their fault that it is so hard to earn a living wage these days.
One exception.... I draw the line at places where somebody actually asks me if I want to leave a tip. I refuse to be shamed into tipping (see Annette Louisan's post above). Otherwise if the experience is good I tip generously (though I very rarely go to Starbucks or Dunkin).
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I might occasionally throw something in a tip jar if I'm feeling good. But I don't tip individuals.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

It's interesting the question is about coffee shops because that is the kind of place many of us may visit almost daily. You get to know the staff which to me makes tipping much more natural. It is the kind of place that can have a social aspect to the experience. I literally make sure I am always carrying ones in my wallet so I can tip at coffee shops since more times than not I pay with my phone.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I always tip generously if the service is good, it's Feb 29th, it's after ten p.m. and there is a solar eclipse visible at that location (it can be partial, I'm not fussy) . Otherwise, I don't.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

climber2020 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 pm The bartender makes $2.13 an hour before tips.
Tbh this needs to change. If we have a minimum wage, it should apply to all workers not just the non-tipped workers. Now I get that the tipped workers may be overcompensated if they also collect minimum wage, but that actually drives tipping down as everyone learns that they are at least making the minimum wage.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:39 pm
climber2020 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 pm The bartender makes $2.13 an hour before tips.
Tbh this needs to change. If we have a minimum wage, it should apply to all workers not just the non-tipped workers. Now I get that the tipped workers may be overcompensated if they also collect minimum wage, but that actually drives tipping down as everyone learns that they are at least making the minimum wage.
Even then Federal Minimum Wage is still under $10/hr but will vary by state.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Tbh this needs to change.
I agree. But probably won’t happen in my lifetime.
student

Post by student »

I think tipped workers also make at least federal minimum wage in the sense that the employers need to pay the difference if the tips income is not high enough. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/ ... age/tipped
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Of course...yes, I do tip usually about 20% I'm not crazy about our tipping culture, but it is what it is. Withholding a tip only penalizing the folks working...C-level types will get their compensation. Seems like a small thing, small dollar value, and nothing that I would get overly worked up about.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 am I tip at Starbucks.
+1
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MathWizard wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:00 pm I've never tipped a bartender.
I've tipped the waiter/waitress who took my order and brought the drink to me. . . .
There may be some "confusion" about bartenders - I would not tip a bartender in the above situation either, where the bartender makes the drink for the waiter to deliver. But if I sat at the bar drinking :wink: and the bartender was serving me, yes I would tip the bartender.
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Cash is King wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:25 pm
You may want to double check. Here's the current prices as of March 2023 for regular coffee:

I just looked at the transaction history.
You are right. The bill was $6.01, not, $6.00, for a giant Caffe Latte (whatever that is) with
soy and 2 packets of Splenda.It looks just like a cup of coffee to me.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

student wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:48 pm I think tipped workers also make at least federal minimum wage in the sense that the employers need to pay the difference if the tips income is not high enough. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/ ... age/tipped
Well that's good news at least, assuming this is enforced at most places. In which case the above poster saying a tipped bartender making $2.13 without tips was incorrect.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:54 pm
Will do good wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:47 pm No. We over tip in America.
Only @ Lake Wobegon

But We Have Wall to Wall Floors in America
Nice perk.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:09 pm I briefly got into a Starbucks phase recently and then got shamed into tipping at Starbucks so … I stopped going. Easy peasy! Prefer black coffee homemade anyway sipped out of porcelain rather than on bleached recycled paper with plastic lining.
+1. I prefer my own home-roasted, home-ground, home-French-pressed brew served black in vitreous china over any Starbucks. I loathe drinking anything out of plastic.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

lillycat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:03 pm

You are right. The bill was $6.01, not, $6.00, for a giant Caffe Latte (whatever that is) with
I understand why you would think it is coffee but FWIW it is expresso and steamed milk or I guess in this case soy milk and if it is from Starbucks it is a Venti not a Giant. Now you can sound like one of the cool kids.
enad

Post by enad »

I found this tip/gratuity guide. Specifically:

Coffee Barista

You’ve seen the little tip jar on the counter when you pick up your morning cup of java. It usually has a cute phrase on it like “alms for the pour” or “thanks a latte for your tippaccino.” So, what do you do?

When it comes to coffee, you’re not obligated to tip. But if you feel like being generous, or if that kind barista went out of their way for you, why not leave a tip? Put a dollar in that punny tip jar as a sign of thanks for the work they put in to help you perk up.

When in doubt: if the person is providing a service and you wish to tip it's one thing, but if they are doing their job it's not necessary
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

enad wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:38 pm I found this tip/gratuity guide. Specifically:

Coffee Barista

You’ve seen the little tip jar on the counter when you pick up your morning cup of java. It usually has a cute phrase on it like “alms for the pour” or “thanks a latte for your tippaccino.” So, what do you do?

When it comes to coffee, you’re not obligated to tip. But if you feel like being generous, or if that kind barista went out of their way for you, why not leave a tip? Put a dollar in that punny tip jar as a sign of thanks for the work they put in to help you perk up.

When in doubt: if the person is providing a service and you wish to tip it's one thing, but if they are doing their job it's not necessary
I also believe in tipping the Baristas large on Christmas Day. It is a nice feeling of normal on an otherwise fun and hectic day.
jnw

Post by jnw »

Thank goodness we only eat out a couple times a year. But when we do go, we go to a fancy restaurant and happily tip 20% or more.
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:31 pm

I understand why you would think it is coffee but FWIW it is expresso and steamed milk or I guess in this case soy milk and if it is from Starbucks it is a Venti not a Giant. Now you can sound like one of the cool kids.
Hah! Thanks and Love it. I am a frugal tea drinker. Not only does DH pay $6.01 for his drink, he tips. Total price? $7.00 for 1 cup!
I just quietly hold my Yeti sipping on my homemade tea as we exit the SB drive thru and bite my tongue. You have to choose your battles carefully, right?
student

Post by student »

lillycat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:34 am

Hah! Thanks and Love it. I am a frugal tea drinker. Not only does DH pay $6.01 for his drink, he tips. Total price? $7.00 for 1 cup!
I just quietly hold my Yeti sipping on my homemade tea as we exit the SB drive thru and bite my tongue. You have to choose your battles carefully, right?
You should move $7 from the joint account to your personal triple secret account every time he spends $7 on 1 cup of coffee and you drink homemade tea. lol. (Yes. This is a joke.)
MtnTravel

Post by MtnTravel »

I don’t at coffee places or for takeout. It’s a very decisive issue, but I think tipping has gotten absolutely out of control in the US, and it has to stop. Companies have realized that as long as they can keep guilting people into tipping, they reap the profits by not paying employees a livable wage. I’ve seen tipping prompts popping up everywhere; Chipotle, concession stands at sports venues, and even the little magazine stores in the airport where the employee does nothing more than ring up your $6 bottle of water and $10 bag of trail mix.

There was an article recently about how these systems are designed to create a behavioral response where we automatically click yes to add a tip. It’s the same psychological tricks they use to keep people scrolling on Facebook and Instagram.

I’d prefer to vote with my wallet. If people stopped the unnecessary tipping, companies might realize they have to pay employees a livable wage and just bake the added costs into the price of whatever we are buying. It’s the same thing with mandatory “service charges” at restaurants and “resort fees” at hotels.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Most definitely not.

Crazy if you do.

Also, you can bet that most of the tips are not reported.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

I used to love getting coffee at Starbucks but probably about a decade ago they priced me out of my comfort zone and so I
just stopped going.

About a year ago I stopped buying whole beans from Costco and just went with Folgers Black Silk. Not much of a difference
noted.

I never tipped at Starbucks when I did go.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

lillycat wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:34 am

It makes more sense for him to tip than someone just getting a brewed coffee. For brewed coffee they just fill a cup from a big bin. For his drink they need to fill the maker with espresso - froth the milk (remembering to substitute almond milk for regular) and put it all together with yet another substitute for the sugar. And it's all done in expensive machinery which needs special care and cleaning.
Luckily I actually prefer plain black coffee - so for me it would only be $2 or $3 and that's if I wanted to tip.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

bad1bill wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:07 pm I consider myself a very fortunate individual and am comfortable in retirement so I feel I owe my karma to generally tip those not as fortunate as I; quite dependent, however, upon their attitude and level of service. YMMV ....
This. Well, I'm not retired yet and I often feel that I am struggling as much as anyone in savings and expenses. But all in all I appreciated the sentiment above. I live a fairly comfortable life style and make decent wages. I also rather infrequently visit those places. But when I do (e.g. when travelings), a$1-$2 tip is not going to break the bank for me, clears my conscience, and is not worth worrying or debating whether I should tip or not.