SSA Can't Provide Estimates

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dfin

SSA Can't Provide Estimates

Post by dfin »

My online Medicare ONLY application has been approved. Can anyone tell me if the following message and issue resolves itself? Really not sure what my Medicare approval would have to do with this.
Thanks

We’re having trouble providing your estimates. We cannot provide you benefit estimates online because you recently applied for Social Security benefits or Medicare. You can contact your local Social Security office to receive your benefit estimates.
jebmke

Re: SSA Can't Provide Estimates

Post by jebmke »

Something in their system triggers this. Even when I applied for SS I got the same thing; they didn't update my online number until after I had received my determination letter. The local SS office near me has been pretty accessible by phone so I had a workaround.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
dfin

Post by dfin »

Thank you, that's rather unfortunate.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dfin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:01 am Thank you, that's rather unfortunate.
I found it pretty easy to do the calculations using AnyPIA. In fact, I was able to use this to discover that the amount on my determination letter was incorrect. After filing an appeal, they quickly made the adjustment before my benefit commenced in February.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
dfin

Post by dfin »

:thumbsup
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I had the same situation when I applied for Medicare.

The estimate comes back after a while, perhaps the month Medicare actually starts? I can’t remember the exact timing.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
dfin

Post by dfin »

Cool, that's what I'm counting on. Really don't like the idea of calling unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

If you have access to your complete earnings history on the SSA site, then copy and paste that data into the ssa.tools site to calculate your SS benefits.
Topic Author
dfin

Post by dfin »

Yep, I've done that, just didn't like the information on SS disappearing.

Thanks