Where to snorkel, when? Snorkeling resources?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
victw

Where to snorkel, when? Snorkeling resources?

Post by victw »

Hi all,

It seems like a big question - but I'm looking for resources.
We started snorkeling a few years ago and would like to do more. We took a trip to Belize in December and were surprised to learn that there is a little more to picking a snorkeling trip than I realized. In Belize, I did not realize there would not be any beach snorkeling, and we would have to plan for boat trips. Boat trips are great - I need to be able to budget for them.

I've done some internet searches but haven't found a solid resource that describes locations, the best time of year, accessibility of beach snorkeling, boat trip required, etc.

Can anyone recommend resources for snorkeling information? I will research places in detail. But a higher level view would be great.

A seed has been planted for 365 days of snorkeling or a RTW snorkeling trip.

Thanks.
Vic
livesoft

Re: Where to snorkel, when? Snorkeling resources?

Post by livesoft »

Have you heard of Hawaii or the Virgin Islands, say Virgin Gorda? Those will cover Pacific species and Caribbean species. Walk from your condo down to the reef and snorkel every morning before the water becomes unclear and the tourists show up and the sharks are chased away.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

victw wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:48 am Hi all,

We started snorkeling a few years ago and would like to do more. We took a trip to Belize in December and were surprised to learn that there is a little more to picking a snorkeling trip than I realized. In Belize, I did not realize there would not be any beach snorkeling, and we would have to plan for boat trips. Boat trips are great - I need to be able to budget for them.

I've done some internet searches but haven't found a solid resource that describes locations, the best time of year, accessibility of beach snorkeling, boat trip required, etc.

Can anyone recommend resources for snorkeling information? I will research places in detail. But a higher level view would be great.

Thanks.
Vic
In Costa Rica we were told there were a lot of beaches it was not safe to swim due to undertows. So I would have to research specifically where one might go.

We did this in Galapagos w was amazing - things like seals come right up to you and swim under you - no fear of humans.

You need to have your own wetsuit (we had shortie ones) for best fit. The Galapagos has a strong cold upwelling current. For that reason scuba diving there is only for advanced divers (and is still dangerous). Snorkelling off the beach it's fairly shallow and not too cold. From rubber boats (pangas) in deeper water I think it can be quite cold. Your circulation around the Galapagos Islands is tightly controlled by the park authority, a smaller boat is better because of the logistics of getting everyone into or out of Pangas for a tour, etc.

Galapagos is a special experience although snorkelling is only part of it. We went for nearly 2 weeks, given the need to sail back and forth between the islands (not in the logical adjacent way if it were not tightly scheduled by the parks authority) you do get a lot more real sightseeing in (on the islands you usually can only walk on designated tourist paths). I was very seasick but did recover. I would not want to rush back (the damaging impacts of tourism & tourism industries are palpable) but to do once in a lifetime... it was worth it.

I imagine there is snorkelling for the Great Barrier Reef in Australia? However due to heat waves, there has been serious bleaching and die-off, so the GBR is not what it was. There would be other places in the South Pacific (Tahiti, Fiji?).

I would recommend getting your own wetsuit. We also needed masks that were adjusted for our short sightedness - custom lenses.

If you are at all fair skinned, be careful of sunburn in equatorial aquatic locations.

This may not apply to you, but my spouse took swimming lessons before we went-- 1 to 1 with an adult coach. She had never had them as a child. This really helped her enjoyment of the holiday.
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

Thanks.
Vic
St. Johns in the U.S. Virgin Islands has Cinnamon Bay, a U.S. national park with an underwater, self guided snorkel trail that you can do from the beach. I've done this a couple times but not since the late 90's so not sure what it's looking like these days. Lots of other snorkel opportunities in the USVI and the BVI, so if you do go to the USVI, bring your passport so you can go to the BVI if you like when you are there.

https://stjohn-beachguide.com/best-snor ... n-st-john/
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield
matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart »

livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:57 am Have you heard of Hawaii or the Virgin Islands, say Virgin Gorda? Those will cover Pacific species and Caribbean species. Walk from your condo down to the reef and snorkel every morning before the water becomes unclear and the tourists show up and the sharks are chased away.
My wife is from St. Croix USVI, so I am personally very partial to it! No passport required (for US residents, at least), not nearly as crowded as St. Thomas, and an easy-enough 2-3 hour flight from Miami.
wilked

Post by wilked »

thedaybeforetoday wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 am

Thanks.
Vic
St. Johns in the U.S. Virgin Islands has Cinnamon Bay, a U.S. national park with an underwater, self guided snorkel trail that you can do from the beach. I've done this a couple times but not since the late 90's so not sure what it's looking like these days. Lots of other snorkel opportunities in the USVI and the BVI, so if you do go to the USVI, bring your passport so you can go to the BVI if you like when you are there.

St John's has amazing snorkeling, but do yourself a favor and skip Cinnamon Bay - overrun with tourists and the coral/fish species there reflects that.

For an inexpensive and amazing snorkeling trip go to Vieques in PR. So many spots to hit, and snorkeling at Mosquito Pier remains my fav snorkeling experience every time I do it... You are transported straight into a Planet Earth episode
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Roatan, Honduras has some of the best diving and snokeling left in the western hemisphere. Much of the west end of the island is a protected marine park. There are lots of condos that have sea kayaks and you can paddle yourself out to the reef. Grand Cayman is also very good, and Eden Rock is accessible from shore, along with several other spots and a wreck you can swim out to from the dock in town. Bonaire used to be great for shore diving and snorkeling, but the reefs have been bleached and it's a shadow of its fromer self. I cannont share the enthusism for the USVI, which has low viz and sparse marine life in my experince. Further afield, there is excellent diving and snorkeling in Indonesia.

If you're becoming enough of an enthusiast to plan your trips around snorkeling, I'd highly suggest you get your PADI dive card since scuba opens a whole new realm of adventure. It's not that hard. Both my daughters got their cards when they were 10. Do the online course and pool work before you leave home, so you can just do your three open water dives and get your card once you arrive at your destination.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

I can't speak to any real knowledge of the snorkeling community, which I'm sure exists and has it's own list of hot spots, but I did have a very good time snorkeling around the Big Island of Hawaii, all shore based, reefs, turtles, the whole bit. Enough to spend a week there and see a different place every day. I found everything with the book Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed.
bg5

Post by bg5 »

There is solid snorkeling right off the beach in Mexico at Barcelo Maya Palace and you can swim with turtles, rays etc right off the beach and its really easy for kids and families. The Grand Sirenis is also a great place to snorkel right off the beach and both are really safe etc.

Easy and cheap flight to Cancun and about 45 minute shuttle (very safe) right from hotel
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

We like Maui best. Been to Belize, Costa Rica and Mexico. Keep going back to Maui.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

Thailand and Malaysia are great. Lots of locations where you can snorkel from shore, and no shortage of tours.

Puerto Morelos outside of Cancun actually has some of the healthiest coral I've seen in many many years, I think its actually a national park reef if I recall. You have to do a tour, they require you have special reef safe lotion - was $25 a handful of years back. The area has kinda blown up a bit since I was last there but if they've maintained protections it should still be great.
carolc

Post by carolc »

I like St John.
We stay at Gallows Point which has very good snorkeling. And there are plenty of other spots on the island.

carolc
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

As far as snorkeling review websites or some such, no, I haven’t found anything all that useful. It seems like a miss and there would be a market for a site like that. Part of the problem is that a lot of the best snorkeling sites *are* only really available by boat. And also, it’s the tour operators that buy ads on websites. So there’s that.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

We go to Hawaii, since that’s most geographically convenient and it’s an easy trip that requires minimal planning. It’s also the best snorkeling in the US, especially if you want beach access rather than depend on a boat. We dislike boat tours: the cost, extra planning, extra travel time, limited in-water time, and yes, the people. PM if you want specific beach recommendations.

Have also done Cancun/Cozumel and USVI which have their own appeal but Hawaii mo betta.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

I second St. John's.

Did some excellent snorkeling on a private island in the Bahamas.

Best snorkeling I ever did was in the Philippines just off of Mactan Island near Cebu. Subic Bay is also good, with crystal clear water just like St. Johns. Actually did dynamite fishing there when I was in the Navy.

Did the Great Barrier Reef on a boat tour. Very good snorkeling but not worth the long trip just for that reason if you have no other interest in visiting Australia.

Sorry for the Hawaii lovers, but a boat tour from Maui to Molokini was probably the worst snorkeling spot I've ever been to. I'm sure there are better spots and I probably picked the wrong one.
FlamePoint

Post by FlamePoint »

We snorkel a lot on vacation and so far our best snorkeling experience has been in Captain Cook bay on the big island of Hawaii. It’s only accessible via boat or a difficult hike in. Rent kayaks off the beach and get there before the tour boats arrive. Spinner dolphins will sometimes join you on your kayak ride to the other side.

I also avoid using sunscreen at all costs when snorkeling to keep from further damaging the reefs. Wear a long sleeved rash guard.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

FlamePoint wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:41 am We snorkel a lot on vacation and so far our best snorkeling experience has been in Captain Cook bay on the big island of Hawaii. It’s only accessible via boat or a difficult hike in. Rent kayaks off the beach and get there before the tour boats arrive. Spinner dolphins will sometimes join you on your kayak ride to the other side.

I also avoid using sunscreen at all costs when snorkeling to keep from further damaging the reefs. Wear a long sleeved rash guard.
The point about sun screen is an excellent one (and what I said implied the opposite)-- a rash guard is the right approach.

I believe there may be sun screen formulations which are less toxic to marine life?
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I was snorkeling recently and tried a full face mask snorkel for the first time. They look a little funny (although all snorkeling equipment looks funny), but I found it to be a game-changer for snorkeling. So much more comfortable and easier to breathe than traditional snorkeling masks/tubes. Maybe I was just using cheap traditional ones in the past, but it really made a difference.
Mark
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:22 pm
FlamePoint wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:41 am We snorkel a lot on vacation and so far our best snorkeling experience has been in Captain Cook bay on the big island of Hawaii. It’s only accessible via boat or a difficult hike in. Rent kayaks off the beach and get there before the tour boats arrive. Spinner dolphins will sometimes join you on your kayak ride to the other side.

The point about sun screen is an excellent one (and what I said implied the opposite)-- a rash guard is the right approach.

I believe there may be sun screen formulations which are less toxic to marine life?
Two places mentioned in this thread, Hawaii and the US VI, allow only "reef safe" suncreens. It's not like they check your luggage at entry to ensure you have not smuggled into "illegal" suncreen, but the only stuff on sale in the islands should be reef safe and you can also verify the "safe" suncreens and bring that.

If I snorkeled wearing only a long sleeved rash guard and no suncreen I would get badly burned on the back of my neck and the back of my legs.

The best thing we could all do for the reefs, alas, is not to snorkel, an activity I quite enjoy.
wilked

Post by wilked »

markcoop wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:28 pm I was snorkeling recently and tried a full face mask snorkel for the first time. They look a little funny (although all snorkeling equipment looks funny), but I found it to be a game-changer for snorkeling. So much more comfortable and easier to breathe than traditional snorkeling masks/tubes. Maybe I was just using cheap traditional ones in the past, but it really made a difference.
https://www.visittci.com/shopping/snork ... -selection

I urge people to read up on the risks of snorkel masks before they use it. I did, and I won't use them as a result. Data is not fully conclusive but there's enough red flags for me to avoid at this time
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

howard71 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:55 am I second St. John's.

Best snorkeling I ever did was in the Philippines just off of Mactan Island near Cebu. Subic Bay is also good, with crystal clear water just like St. Johns. Actually did dynamite fishing there when I was in the Navy.

Did the Great Barrier Reef on a boat tour. Very good snorkeling but not worth the long trip just for that reason if you have no other interest in visiting Australia.

Sorry for the Hawaii lovers, but a boat tour from Maui to Molokini was probably the worst snorkeling spot I've ever been to. I'm sure there are better spots and I probably picked the wrong one.
Like most outdoor activities, a given snorkel outing may yield clear water, great fish life, moderate current, no jellyfish and a generally good time. Or not. I been out lots of time and the fish life was great .. but the water was silty, etc.

I haven't found Hawaii snorkeling any better than the Caribbean. But again, it sort of depends upon your luck and very specific location. Hawaii is more prone to dangerous currents than places like the US VI.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:18 am As far as snorkeling review websites or some such, no, I haven’t found anything all that useful. It seems like a miss and there would be a market for a site like that. Part of the problem is that a lot of the best snorkeling sites *are* only really available by boat. And also, it’s the tour operators that buy ads on websites. So there’s that.
I mostly agree; you can usually find, with a bit of googling sites for a given area that purport to show the "best" snorkeling. They are often useful, often not useful. A person making a single trip to a destination and breathlessly reporting on how beach X was GREAT (or TERRIBLE) may be working on a sample size of one trip. I've even found advice from locals that snorkel a site frequently to misfire (or at least be wrong the one day I was there ..).

Also, if someone says, I snorkeled site X 10 years ago and it was great, well, that is old information. Frankly information a year old is kinda stale. Storms mess up reefs. Some years jellyfish appear. Development ruins a nice snorkeling beach, etc. Even a boat trip to the "best" snorkeling in an area may or may not yield great results. For snorkeling off a beach (and it is nice if you are someplace that actually has good beach snorkeling) after rain the water may be silty.

Despite the caveats, I've still had a lot of fun snorkeling.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

markcoop wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:28 pm I was snorkeling recently and tried a full face mask snorkel for the first time. They look a little funny (although all snorkeling equipment looks funny), but I found it to be a game-changer for snorkeling. So much more comfortable and easier to breathe than traditional snorkeling masks/tubes. Maybe I was just using cheap traditional ones in the past, but it really made a difference.
I haven't tried those. Can you dive down with them very easily? I don't mean a long deep dive, I'm not that good a swimmer/diver. I just mean a brief foray down 10 or 15 feet and gliding for a bit.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

wilked wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 am
thedaybeforetoday wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:40 am

Thanks.
Vic

St John's has amazing snorkeling, but do yourself a favor and skip Cinnamon Bay - overrun with tourists and the coral/fish species there reflects that.

For an inexpensive and amazing snorkeling trip go to Vieques in PR. So many spots to hit, and snorkeling at Mosquito Pier remains my fav snorkeling experience every time I do it... You are transported straight into a Planet Earth episode
Yeah, Cinnamon Bay is "okay" at best. There are better choices on the island. But all the reefs in the US VI are deteriorating.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

TN_Boy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:52 pm
howard71 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:55 am I second St. John's.

Like most outdoor activities, a given snorkel outing may yield clear water, great fish life, moderate current, no jellyfish and a generally good time. Or not. I been out lots of time and the fish life was great .. but the water was silty, etc.

I haven't found Hawaii snorkeling any better than the Caribbean. But again, it sort of depends upon your luck and very specific location. Hawaii is more prone to dangerous currents than places like the US VI.
I will say the best snorkeling I've ever had off the beach was in Hawaii, but Hawaii is a huge place and there's going to be massive variation between potential locations (and Islands). Some of it is also personal preference. In Hawaii, I particularly enjoyed some of the volcanic underwater rock formations and caves, which is something you don't get as much of in the Caribbean. The best spots were rocky beaches with deeper water (often frequented by SCUBA divers, but still enjoyable for a snorkeler who doesn't mind a bit of freediving).

One note on Belize: you need to take a boat to snorkel if you are coming from San Pedro, but there is off beach snorkeling from many of the smaller islands. Accommodations on these small islands are more expensive, but you may save over lots of boat dives. That said, the snorkeling I did off Glover's Atoll was very good, but not the best.

A final note is that more out of the way spots tend to be better. The heavily trafficked areas (like near Stingray City in the Caymans) tend to be pretty meh (usually a combination of reef damage and less wildlife around). Best off-boat diving/snorkeling I've done was near Little Corn Island Nicaragua, which is pretty remote and lightly trafficked compared to the well-known spots in the Caribbean.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

TN_Boy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:00 pm I haven't tried those. Can you dive down with them very easily? I don't mean a long deep dive, I'm not that good a swimmer/diver. I just mean a brief foray down 10 or 15 feet and gliding for a bit.
There’s a bit of a safety controversy over full face masks. The main concern is the increased dead space within the mask volume leading to rebreathing exhaled CO2. I won’t try to litigate it here one way or another, but you should at least read up about it before you go that route.

Even ignoring that issue, I like having separate mask and snorkel. Easier to find the right fit. Easier to get your ideal combination if you buy individually. Most importantly, easier to trouble shoot when something goes wrong in the middle of a swim.

The diving issue is that you can’t balance pressure in your ears in a full face mask by pinching your nose and blowing. Might not be a huge issue if you rarely go down below 10’, as is probably the case for most people who use them.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Was just in the Galapagos in January. Snorkeled twice a day, swam with penguins, giant turtles, sea lions, sharks, iguanas, flounders, rays, and all kinds of colorful fish. I have only snorkeled once before this so can't say if this is the best place, but I almost didn't want to come home.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Thanks.
Vic
Very few people get very far into "snorkeling" before they go get PADI certified and start diving. Snorkeling is just the entry drug. If you go on a tropical island vacation and want to snorkel for more than an hour or two a year, you need to start SCUBA diving. Seriously. Trust me. Diving is at least 3 times better than snorkeling and only really requires a couple of skills. If you can put your mask back on underwater and blow the air out of it and put your regulator back in your mouth if it falls out, you can go diving.
Last edited by White Coat Investor on Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks.
Vic
Snorkeling from shore:

Hawaii
Island of Oahu
Hanauma Bay: anytime except winter.
Protected wildlife reserve so fish are plentiful and not skittish.
Stay within the bay and away from the mouth of the bay to the sea and the "Molokai Express".

Leeward side of most Islands in Hawaii.
Windward side is usually unclear water and cold and currents.
(but each Island has special spots that are great for Snorkeling, etc.)

j :D
dis laimer: many different experiences from zillions of people with zillions of this and things and that. . . . .
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
FlamePoint

Post by FlamePoint »

Faith20879 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:26 pm Was just in the Galapagos in January. Snorkeled twice a day, swam with penguins, giant turtles, sea lions, sharks, iguanas, flounders, rays, and all kinds of colorful fish. I have only snorkeled once before this so can't say if this is the best place, but I almost didn't want to come home.
Sounds heavenly!
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

FlamePoint wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm
Faith20879 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:26 pm Was just in the Galapagos in January. Snorkeled twice a day, swam with penguins, giant turtles, sea lions, sharks, iguanas, flounders, rays, and all kinds of colorful fish. I have only snorkeled once before this so can't say if this is the best place, but I almost didn't want to come home.
Sounds heavenly!
Yes it does!
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:25 pm
TN_Boy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:00 pm I haven't tried those. Can you dive down with them very easily? I don't mean a long deep dive, I'm not that good a swimmer/diver. I just mean a brief foray down 10 or 15 feet and gliding for a bit.
There’s a bit of a safety controversy over full face masks. The main concern is the increased dead space within the mask volume leading to rebreathing exhaled CO2. I won’t try to litigate it here one way or another, but you should at least read up about it before you go that route.

Even ignoring that issue, I like having separate mask and snorkel. Easier to find the right fit. Easier to get your ideal combination if you buy individually. Most importantly, easier to trouble shoot when something goes wrong in the middle of a swim.

The diving issue is that you can’t balance pressure in your ears in a full face mask by pinching your nose and blowing. Might not be a huge issue if you rarely go down below 10’, as is probably the case for most people who use them.
Oh, I'm very comfortable with a regular mask and snorkel. My mask has corrective lenses, and my snorkel is a "dry" snorkel. I.e. the snorkel has a little ball in it that pops up and blocks the intake when you go down. So even if I'm diving down some, or snorkeling in choppier waters, I don't have to clear the snorkel that often. I was just curious how well the full mask worked if you did anything other than float about on the surface.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I remember snorkeling at a beach in St Thomas while in the navy, but that was 40+ years ago. Fond memories. I recall there was a lot of sea life present, but no larger creatures. I believe Coki beach was where I went.
https://stthomasactivities.com/blog/7-b ... 20vacation!
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

wilked wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:50 pm
https://www.visittci.com/shopping/snork ... -selection

I urge people to read up on the risks of snorkel masks before they use it. I did, and I won't use them as a result. Data is not fully conclusive but there's enough red flags for me to avoid at this time
Thanks for the link and warnings. I will read up further. To answer some of the questions above:

1) You can dive in them, but only a little bit. It's a pretty neat feature. There's a ball in the tube preventing water from getter in. Good for a very short quick dive to see something.
2) I did dive below the surface a few times. There was certainly more pressure as you go just a few feet down. The extra pressure was noticeable on the mask. However, I found the ability to dive in it amazing.
3) The experience was superior to me. Easier to breathe. Mask didn't fog up. Bigger field of view. Was much calmer doing the activity.

I only go snorkeling 1 or 2 times a year. I typically only go for an hour or two when I go with breaks. I was planning to buy a couple of these, but may reconsider after reading that article and watching this video summarizing the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjhYMLKHM0
Mark
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

No skilled diver (or snorkeler) would be caught dead wearing a full face mask. It's an awkward contraption for complete novices paddling around in life jackets because they also don't know how to swim. Never used one, but it seems obvious that breathing warm air against the faceplate is going to cause condensation issues, not to mention rebreathing your own expelled air.
trugs

Post by trugs »

Bonaire, for beach snorkeling and scuba.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

Outer Marker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:34 pm No skilled diver (or snorkeler) would be caught dead wearing a full face mask. It's an awkward contraption for complete novices paddling around in life jackets because they also don't know how to swim. Never used one, but it seems obvious that breathing warm air against the faceplate is going to cause condensation issues, not to mention rebreathing your own expelled air.
So you haven't tried, but because it's not cool you won't do it. Guess I won't be hanging out with you at the playground.
Mark
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

I have found this website helpful. They have several ebooks. I’ve used the Maui and Big Island ones; very specific directions. They also have a monthly newsletter via email.

https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

markcoop wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:20 pm
Outer Marker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:34 pm No skilled diver (or snorkeler) would be caught dead wearing a full face mask. It's an awkward contraption for complete novices paddling around in life jackets because they also don't know how to swim. Never used one, but it seems obvious that breathing warm air against the faceplate is going to cause condensation issues, not to mention rebreathing your own expelled air.
So you haven't tried, but because it's not cool you won't do it. Guess I won't be hanging out with you at the playground.
We bring these on vacation with us (agree, game changers) but every snorkel tour via boat we have been on...6 at this point...prohibits them. Costa Rica, Mexico and Hawaii. So there is liability risk of some sort and people do pass out apparantly.
LongMoney

Post by LongMoney »

Okinawa
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:18 pm
markcoop wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:20 pm
We bring these on vacation with us (agree, game changers) but every snorkel tour via boat we have been on...6 at this point...prohibits them. Costa Rica, Mexico and Hawaii. So there is liability risk of some sort and people do pass out apparently.
I've only tried them two times, but I think it is a more enjoyable experience for the reasons I mentioned above. Having said that, everything has it's place. I stayed at a place that has a reef right off of the beach. The ability to put this on and do some causal snorkeling was so much fun. We also used them on the same vacation where we went out on a boat. They had no problem with us using them. That was pretty chill too. I agree for serious snorkeling, I have some big doubts about them for the reasons mentioned in the article and video. I find snorkeling fun, but I'm sure others are alot me serious about it. BTW - If I were that serious about, I'd probably have multiple snorkels and still get one of these for playing around.
Mark
Panky

Post by Panky »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:06 am We like Maui best. Been to Belize, Costa Rica and Mexico. Keep going back to Maui.
Black Rock area in Maui is excellent snorkeling, and dead simple - just walk off the beach!

I went a bit north of the main area on my last visit (north up to nearly that other freshwater discharge out there) and saw 7 (seven!) dolphins swim by under me. A magical experience.

Thailand snorkeling was also rather good, but requires more logistics (a bumpy boat ride) than just walking off the beach at Maui Black Rock. Other Maui spots were also often more hit or miss, due to waves/wind/currents causing low visibility.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I love St John and Cayman Islands. Very clear and very blue water.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

My favorite resource is https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/

My favorite snorkeling location is Bonaire. Bonaire is far enough south that it rarely gets hit by hurricanes.

The shore snorkeling within a mile or so of the main town Kralendijk has been over snorkeled.

All the boat excursions to Klein Bonaire are good. Woodwind is the only excursion that I know of that goes to the south side of Klein Bonaire. Sea Cow and Caribe have good Klein Bonaire excursions. The cheapest way is the drift snorkel ("free snorkel drop-off") provided by the Caribe water taxi on some days and that is OK.

You can also rent a small boat and go on your own, but we have never done that. You will need to know the ropes about anchor buoys.

My favorite shore snorkel on Bonaire is near Red Beryl but I go on a relatively low wind low surf day. And surf tends to be lower when the tide is receding. It's a relatively rocky entrance, I use flip flops that I can hook into a carabiner. I use windfinder.com to check the wind. If you go in exactly at Red Beryl (marked with a yellow rock) then there may be kite surfers that are a bit of a hazard. Better to go in at unmarked sites a bit north of Red Beryl where you can pull off the road. The snorkeling north of the yellow rock is good.

The salt pier has easy shore access south of the pier, but I was not very impressed on my last trip.

There should be good shore snorkeling north of Kralendijk, but I have no explored there much. Karpata is reported to be the best.

tropicalsnorkeling.com used to be big on Bonaire, but now they are down on it a bit. But I think that is mainly because the easier shore snorkeling near town has declined over the years.

There are dozens of shore snorkeling locations to explore, particularly if you use the flip-flop-carabiner system or other foot protection.

For your first trip there you might want to rent a four-wheel drive (or more substantial vehicle) so you can explore the national park and some other dicey roads. But I just get the cheapest smallest car and stay away from dicey roads.

We rent in Belnam where we have stairs to the water and pretty good snorkeling right there.

I think the budget approach might be to rent an condo at Sand Dollar. Sand Dollar provides easy sandy shore access to the Bari Reef area, and you can explore other shore snorkeling from there. Sebastian's Restaurant has fixed price meals on Wednesdays and Sundays but you have to book early.

I have been on some good boat excursions in the Virgin Islands starting from St Thomas and St Johns.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Many years ago we spent some time snorkeling (mostly from shore) on the Cayman Islands. It was great! I'm not sure how it is today.
If you are taking a boat, I'd suggest getting a tourist divers license. Easy to do in a day. I'm not sure what they are called these days. Diving is different than snorkeling. And once you pay for the boat, it does not cost much more.
If you do not have one already, buy a mask that fits.

Edit: I think the "tourist divers license" is called the "resort course."
Last edited by dknightd on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

tadamsmar wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:21 am particularly if you use the flip-flop-carabiner system or other foot protection.
I have to ask, what is the "flip-flop-carabiner system or other foot protection"?
Google was useless!
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Freefun wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:33 am I love St John and Cayman Islands. Very clear and very blue water.
I like St John, but when shore snorkeling there (said snorkeling is pretty decent) it's somewhat rare for the water to be very clear and very blue. That's true of both the North and South Beaches. You can kayak or take boat trips out to some of the outlying keys, and those tend to have clearer water.

Unfortunately, it is much harder now to get a small boat snorkel trip from St John. A lot of the smaller operators either went away (Hurricane Maria followed by the pandemic was tough) or went to only $$ charters.

St John is still an interesting place, but is going downhill in many ways. Development.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

dknightd wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:44 am Many years ago we spent some time snorkeling (mostly from shore) on the Cayman Islands. It was great! I'm not sure how it is today.
If you are taking a boat, I'd suggest getting a tourist divers license. Easy to do in a day. I'm not sure what they are called these days. Diving is different than snorkeling. And once you pay for the boat, it does not cost much more.

I believe you on what Cayman Islands used to be like, but if it was "many years" ago that doesn't tell us much about what it's like now.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

dknightd wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:44 am Many years ago we spent some time snorkeling (mostly from shore) on the Cayman Islands. It was great! I'm not sure how it is today.

"Discover SCUBA"

Here's an example but most dive shops will do this. And it's way better than snorkeling.

https://www.scubadiveit.com/padi_discov ... iving.html
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

The unfortunate reality is what used to be great, is now filled with people