Broker for EU-resident US citizen to purchase EU member sovereign bonds

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
EddyB

Broker for EU-resident US citizen to purchase EU member sovereign bonds

Post by EddyB »

While the Interactive Brokers branch in Ireland has been good for many of my investing needs as an Italian in Italy who is also a US citizen, it does not appear to be a great choice for buying other EU member states’ sovereign bonds, some of which are suitable for my particular investment purpose. Does one of you in a similar situation have a recommendation for a broker to serve that role? Thank you.
Topic Author
EddyB

Re: Broker for EU-resident US citizen to purchase EU member sovereign bonds

Post by EddyB »

Bumping my own thread and adding a request for feedback on DEGIRO for this use case. Thanks.
Stork

Post by Stork »

We are not US persons but have used Degiro for buying bonds from Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.

Be aware that some are not traded all that much (the German ones were by far the most liquid) and spread can be on the high side, this is of course the market and not Degiro.

We also have Danish mortgage bonds (AAA and linked to Euro), but they are different beasts and not accessible through our brokers, only through our Danish bank.
Topic Author
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Stork wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:39 am We are not US persons but have used Degiro for buying bonds from Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.

Be aware that some are not traded all that much (the German ones were by far the most liquid) and spread can be on the high side, this is of course the market and not Degiro.

We also have Danish mortgage bonds (AAA and linked to Euro), but they are different beasts and not accessible through our brokers, only through our Danish bank.
Thank you, Stork. It seems Degiro won't have me anyway; they decline to accept US persons as customers, at least in Italy.
Stork

Post by Stork »

Saxo may be too pricey, don't know if they accept you.
masni

Post by masni »

https://live.euronext.com/en/products/fixed-income/list#

You can purchase based on ISIN number