2.5 days in Milwaukee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
joetro29

2.5 days in Milwaukee

Post by joetro29 »

Considering Saturday to Monday trip in November. Flight lands 12:30 Saturday and departs 7:10 Monday.

Wondering if too rushed, but:

Saturday

Charles Art Museum
Villa Terrace
Walk to Bradford Beach and north Park lighthouse

Sunday:
Milwaukee Art Museum
Pierhead Lighthouse
Cruise?
McKinley and or Veterans Park?

Monday:

Domes
Pabst Mansion
Grohmann or Marquette University?

Anything major missed? Any good churches or cathedrals?

Is 2.5-3 hours enough for both Charles Alles and Villa Terrace, including walking between?

Is Hyatt Regency or Place better recommended? Former seems a bit better located while latter is more highly rated.
nhs76

Re: 2.5 days in Milwaukee

Post by nhs76 »

Yes, your schedule is quite ambitious. Notes: the North lighthouse isn't really a visiting place, more a landmark. Don't bother with Bradford Beach on Saturday, you can stroll there or McKinley Beach on Sunday after the Milwaukee Art Museum, as both are along Lincoln Memorial Drive on the lakefront. However, if it's a blustery day you may decide that stopping at Colectivo Coffee, in the old pumphouse, is a better option than the beaches. However, the point at the end of the short access road out through Veterans Park presents great vantage points for photos of the skyline including the distinctive Milwaukee Art Museum building.

If the History and Architecture boat tour is still running in November, that's really interesting, though you will need to bundle up. It also pops out into Lake Michigan and the Harbor. Milwaukee's as much a river city as a lake city.

Pabst Mansion and/or the Domes are a good use of Monday, but check their hours. Some local museums are closed Mondays. Can also consider the Milwaukee Public Museum location on 8th and Wells which will soon be replaced by a new building; includes the famous Streets of Old Milwaukee exhibit which won't be the same in the next place. Ride up through Marquette University on Wisconsin Avenue, and if you have time, the Helfaer Art Museum at Marquette is often worth a stop, depending on their exhibits.

If a sports fan, consider a sports bar around Fiserv Forum where the Bucks and Marquette play, or a lunch break at the restaurant at American Family Field, the Brewers' ballpark. If more into music, I'd suggest the newly remodeled Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra home on Wisconsin Avenue; the photos look wonderful. For band gigs, there's Shank Hall, named after the fictitious Shank Hall in the mockumentary This is Spinal Tap. I know nothing of the Harley Davidson Museum, but a lot of people like it. Avoid the Miller Brewery tour, the ultimate in corporate cheesiness.

Churches: there's a large domed Basilica that you can see from the highway on the way up from the airport toward downtown, and you can visit inside. On the northwest side near the small Timmerman Airport, there's a Greek Orthodox church that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. If you'd had more time for a drive to the country, but you probably don't, I would have suggested Holy Hill. Silliest building: the Tripoli Shrine on Wisconsin Avenue has a style that is described in the city's tax assessment rolls as "Circus Fantasy."

Four bookish spots: Renaissance Books in the airport. Central Branch of the Milwaukee Public Library, 8th and Wisconsin, even if you only stop in to see the fancy floor and the domed atrium. Boswell Book Co. on Downer Avenue, the best indie bookstore in the city. Downtown Book, the best used bookstore.

Two last words: frozen custard. Kopps or Gilles. Enjoy!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

nhs76 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:03 pm However, if it's a blustery day you may decide that stopping at Colectivo Coffee, in the old pumphouse, is a better option than the beaches.
We used to live about a half a mile or so north of the original Colectivo (then Alterra) location on Prospect. When the wind was from the right direction and they were roasting, the aroma was like a magnet. Many hours passed there with a fresh cup.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

Would you be able to move it up a month and come in early oct? Nov in wisconsin can be questionable. You can catch a good weekend in nov..but I couldn't count on it. Oct, on the other hand, is a great time to be in wisconsin.
Topic Author
joetro29

Post by joetro29 »

Whoops - typo. I meant late September!
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Not what you asked for, but Lake Front Brewery for cheese curds. Even if you don’t drink, I would still make a stop. We make the 2hr drive from Chicago, and likely wouldn’t visit if it were not for Lake front ;)
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

When visiting a city, I don't bother with its museums unless they are truly the best in class or there is something there that I really want to see. The B-grade museums are for bored residents, not tourists. With that in mind, though, you could certainly pay a visit to the Harley Davidson museum. I'm not aware of a better museum for that sort of thing.

Heavy German influence in Milwaukee. Get some cheese curds and some bratwurst and a huge stein of beer.
Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison »

We enjoyed visiting the Basilica of Saint Josaphat.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Would recommend staying in the third ward. Very centrally located and lively walking area. The journeyman hotel is nice.

Would also recommend going to the Public Market located in the third ward.

Harley Davidson Museum

Any kids or just adults?

A river cruise is also an option.

Have a drink at the top of the Phister hotel bar.

During September you can rent bikes from the “bubbler bike stations”. These are located All around the downtown and lakefront areas and ride the bike trails along the entire waterfront. I believe from downtown and third ward can ride along water front to the waterfront museums , the river front through downtown and harbor front to the Bradford beach.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

I would drive out to Holy Hill area in the kettle moraine just outside of Milwaukee. Should be beautiful out there at that time of year with the leaves.
greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo »

poker27 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 am Not what you asked for, but Lake Front Brewery for cheese curds. Even if you don’t drink, I would still make a stop. We make the 2hr drive from Chicago, and likely wouldn’t visit if it were not for Lake front ;)
The tour is a lot of fun, too.