Morningstar Comparison Chart

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
clemrick

Morningstar Comparison Chart

Post by clemrick »

I am reviewing the mutual funds that my husband and I have in various retirement accounts. I am trying to compare the funds using Morningstar's comparison chart and I keep getting the message that the fund is "Invalid Security" even though it is right there on the page for the mutual fund.

Is that because I have not paid for Morningstar? I will give the free 7 day trial a go if I have to, but I used to be able to compare mutual funds without joining, although it has been many years since I researched funds.

Thank you.
livesoft

Re: Morningstar Comparison Chart

Post by livesoft »

Maybe try portfoliovisualizer.com instead. It only has monthly date, but that might be all you need for what you are trying to do.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Are you trying to use the comparison tool at https://www.morningstar.com/funds/screener-compare ? I am able to compare two mutual funds using that tool. I am logged in to Morningstar using a "free" account (although a 7 day trial account would probably work too). What fund symbols did you want to compare?

I notice the tool says "This tool will be retired in the coming months."

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I have a "legacy" portfolio on M*; the comparison feature isn't working for me any longer. I had considered a paid account, but their customer service was worse than abysmal.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

The free version available through public libraries still has this capability.

Cheers
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

clemrick wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 am...Is that because I have not paid for Morningstar?
It's might be because Morningstar has been malfunctioning this weekend, from time to time. Trying to get a full chart for VTI sometimes gave me the error message "invalid security."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sycamore wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:43 am Are you trying to use the comparison tool at https://www.morningstar.com/funds/screener-compare ? I am able to compare two mutual funds using that tool. I am logged in to Morningstar using a "free" account (although a 7 day trial account would probably work too). What fund symbols did you want to compare?

I notice the tool says "This tool will be retired in the coming months."

What is happening to Morningstar?

The Discussion Forums seem to be disappearing, too.
(At least, the one about TIAA seems to be MIA.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:09 amWhat is happening to Morningstar?

The Discussion Forums seem to be disappearing, too.
(At least, the one about TIAA seems to be MIA.)
Encyclopedias are no longer sold door-to-door.

Older people are dying. Younger people are using reddit. In 20 years if you are still around, you may be asking the same question about bogleheads.org.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.