Is it possible to use formatted tables in this forum?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
radnor

Is it possible to use formatted tables in this forum?

Post by radnor »

I was trying to make a formatted table, as per the instructions here: https://www.bbcode.org/making-a-table-with-bbcode.php, but it did not work. I'm assuming that this forum is not configured to support this?
prudent

Re: Is it possible to use formatted tables in this forum?

Post by prudent »

The BBCode tags you can use are documented at help/bbcode

The code tag is your best alternative.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Correct. Those BBCodes have not been implemented here.

When editing a post, the right-side menu click on the BBCode link in the BBCode is [i]ON[/i] entry to see what we have available.

We have a few custom BBCodes, but do not permit attachments. You can work around this by linking to an image hosting site. See the wiki: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

celia

Post by celia »

If you want a snapshot of something in a spreadsheet like this, do a screen shot of the open spreadsheet on your computer screen. The “snapshot” ends up on your invisible clipboard. So then you open a tool like Paint and “paste” it there. Crop or change the image as desired. Then save the image as a .jpg . (This is in the windows operating system. Sorry, Mac users. :( )

Then for hosting your .jpg image, go to postimages.org and select “resize for message boards” and then “choose image” to point to where the .jpg is on your computer. Then you may have to wait for a short time in the queue until it returns with several links. Copy the one for message boards and save it somewhere where you can find it again. (I usually save my original spreadsheet, the .jpg, and a short note containing the link inside a folder on my computer, with the OP’s name being the name of the folder. Sometimes I save the link in the spreadsheet in a cell to the right of what will be visible in the screen shot.)

Copy that link into your Bogleheads code. As an example, look at my code for the link I provided (as if you were going to quote me) to see how I pasted the link within my post between the img tags. The particular image is really in two pieces if you look closely. The top image and bottom image are each surrounded by url tags!